Fuel Supplement announced (4 merged threads)

xeena

The principle is that I already entered into a contract at an agreed upon price. In none of the other comparisons mentioned was a contract a component.

But, using that logic, if, on the other hand, the cost of a cruise goes down after you've entered into the contract, you should not expect the cruise line to honor the lower price, correct?

Also, just curious, but what do you mean by "migrating mission of Azamara"?

The fine print allows RCL, X, and Azamara to change aspects of their contracts at any given time.

And I have to agree with Rich. I'd much rather be able to adjust the price of my cruise if it drops rather than being held to the amount I booked at if it does drop. Personally for me being locked into a fare regardless would be a heck of a lot worse than planning for that extra $5.00 per day ( which is equilavent to a starbucks fancy coffee, or one less cocktail a day onboard ).

Fuel prices have gone up.....why should the cruielines have to absorb the difference?

Dave:eek:

The principle is that I already entered into a contract at an agreed upon price. In none of the other comparisons mentioned was a contract a component.

Good comparisons would be:

I signed a contract to buy a house, and a month later the owners told me that they were increasing the price by 10% because housing prices had gone up since I signed.

In June I booked and paid a deposit a December vacation at a European ski resort. They are cancelling my vacation because the US dollar sank 10% against the Euro since that time.

In any case, the reasons for my cancellation were/are twofold. The surcharge, and the migrating mission of Azamara.

And if the contract states that they have a right to add a fuel surcharge so technically what is the violation of the contract Celebrity made with you. I have to say that the Carnival contract which was cited is used for this example since the Celebrity portion of their web site dealing with the contract is down at this time. I would bet almost the same wording is in their contract.

I can not believe how much discussion there has been on this thread over a maximum fuel surcharge of $70 per person for a 14 day or longer cruise. When you consider the average price of a cabin on a 14 day cruise of around $2400 this is a very insignificant amount of increase and a totally idiotic reason to cancel a booked cruise. The cost of gas for my work vehicles has increased by over a $100 a month and I am not going to park them and close down my business If any one here “truly” believes they can not afford to pay a maximum additional $70 for their cruise they probably have no business booking that cruise in the first place.:p

I can't argue that if it's in the contract, then it's okay for the cruiseline to do just about anything they want.

I don't know about implying that people are "idiotic" or "have no business booking a cruise" is a fair statement though. I think that those people who cancel their cruises are exercising their consumer choice, including a choice not to consume, which is respectable.

My reasons for canceling my cruise have more to do with other issues than the $5 surcharge, as I said before. (I agree that $70 may not be a lot to some people, that's the price of a couple of cruise line bottles of wine). But I do think that other people may have more modest budgets, and I am not going to practice any arrogant disdain if I happen to be more affluent than they are. Cruise lines cater to all sorts of people, that's why cruises are so much fun, and that's why Cruise Critic is such a melting pot of opinions. I respect that.

I can not believe how much discussion there has been on this thread over a maximum fuel surcharge of $70 per person for a 14 day or longer cruise. When you consider the average price of a cabin on a 14 day cruise of around $2400 this is a very insignificant amount of increase and a totally idiotic reason to cancel a booked cruise. The cost of gas for my work vehicles has increased by over a $100 a month and I am not going to park them and close down my business If any one here “truly” believes they can not afford to pay a maximum additional $70 for their cruise they probably have no business booking that cruise in the first place.:p

I can not speak for others , but for me I knew this was coming it was a matter of time. I believe the real issue here is how Celebrity or I should say RCL handled the implementation of this surcharge. It looks as though they didn't know what to do. They should of stated that for booked cruises to avoid the new fuel surcharge you must pay by February 1, 2008 in full. All new bookings will be accessed this charge. THhe cruise line hedges their oil out so the immediate need for this charge can't be important. You are right if someone is complaining about the cost and their budget is that tight then they need to revist the issue of traveling on a cruise.

Just to let you know......The taxi cabs in Seattle also charge a fuel surcharge. In Ocotber it was $1.00. It is stated on a sign inside the cab. You will not notice it until you are driving to your destination. But what can you do....... walking was just too far:p We live in Eureka,Ca. and have always had the highest price for fuel in the state. It's 3.90 right now, self serve. We have been fighting for years that it is unfair....but atlas there is a monoply and we need fuel to get around, so we choose to pay it.

I don't mean to be rude but I don't understand what the principle is that seems to be the problem here. Does anyone read their contracts or would these same people not hesitate to call and ask for a lower contracted price if available. I just don't understand it...

The principle is this. The cruise line made me put down a deposit of money in advance to book a cruise at a certain price. With these surcharges they are in effect raising the price they contracted for but calling it something other than raising the price. It is bogus and underhanded.

Just to let you know......The taxi cabs in Seattle also charge a fuel surcharge. In Ocotber it was $1.00. It is stated on a sign inside the cab. You will not notice it until you are driving to your destination. But what can you do....... walking was just too far:p We live in Eureka,Ca. and have always had the highest price for fuel in the state. It's 3.90 right now, self serve. We have been fighting for years that it is unfair....but atlas there is a monoply and we need fuel to get around, so we choose to pay it.

When the taxi driver or ourselves go to the pump we have to pay the price. But large transportation companies buy their fuel months in advance in blocks on the futures market. The price is already figured into the fares. These surcharges are bogus. I think what they are really making us pay for is the fall of the dollar. All that cheap international labor they hire is no longer as cheap with the plunging dollar.

The principle is this. The cruise line made me put down a deposit of money in advance to book a cruise at a certain price. With these surcharges they are in effect raising the price they contracted for but calling it something other than raising the price. It is bogus and underhanded.

Is anyone twisting your arm and forcing you to take a cruise? If you do not want to pay a possible $70 extra charge that’s fine you do not have to book on any more cruises. As for me, I love cruising and it is still by far, even with surcharges, the best vacation value there is and I will continue to cruise and not “wine” about paltry little things like an extra $5 per day:p :p :p :p :p

The fact remains that there will be fellow guests on my very same cruise who booked the same price that I did, but are not out $110 extra because they paid they paid their balance prior to November 15th, unknowingly reaping this benefit. The fuel costs the same for their cabin as mine. I should have been given notice that I could obtain the same benefit by paying prior to November 16.

Bogus, check the price of oil.....They also contracted and said they could charge you a fuel surcharge so they are abiding by the contract.....

Is anyone twisting your arm and forcing you to take a cruise? If you do not want to pay a possible $70 extra charge that’s fine you do not have to book on any more cruises. As for me, I love cruising and it is still by far, even with surcharges, the best vacation value there is and I will continue to cruise and not “wine” about paltry little things like an extra $5 per day:p :p :p :p :p

Have you checked lately? I have been cruising for years. Over twenty-five cruises. Things have changed a lot. It isn't the best value anymore. There are other vacation options. And now they charge for things that were included when I started cruising. I won't give up cruising because I love the sea, but I probably will cut back. I will have been on four cruises by the end of this year. I don't have any booked next year and I may only do one because of the changes in the cruise experience. It is five dollars now but next it could be $10 a day. And then $20 a day. I want to know the true cost when I book.

Do any of you do the grocery shopping? I went yesterday - the price of EVERYTHING is higher, and in some cases, a LOT higher. Milk has gone up 33% per gallon in the past year. Celebrity has to be paying 30% more for their milk, too, even buying in bulk. (Higher prices have to be passed on at some point.) Turkey is up about 30% per pound. Fuel for my car is up around $1/gal (or 45%) since last Thanksgiving (makes me love my Prius even more). Every semi you see on the road is paying even more for diesel than we pay for gas, even though it has fewer refining steps. Doesn't seem fair but it is the reality. My electric bill has a HEFTY fuel surcharge tacked onto it now, as do my UPS and FedEx bills. Postage rates increased AGAIN, because of fuel costs - I still have 37 cent stamps I haven't used, much less 39 cent and 41 cent. Just wait until the folks up North get their Winter heating bills this year. They're going to have to give up vacations AND food. Eventually my disposable income will be affected to a point I can no longer afford to take as MANY cruises (I won't give up cruising altogether).

I made two new Celebrity reservations this past week, and have just factored in the additional $10/day into our final payment. Based on the price of our cruises during the past 18 months, compared to the price of cruises upcoming (including the $5/person fuel charge), Celebrity's prices have only risen maybe around 6 - 10%. My cost of living certainly has gone up a lot more than that!!! The cost of their food has to have gone up comparably to mine. BTW, I'll be interested to see what the IRS allows for the mileage deduction this year. I find that I'm trying to find ways to combine trips and errands. The price of fuel is going to continue to rise, since we are now in competition for limited supply with China and India, and that genie is going to stay out of the bottle. All I can do is be "greener" myself and look for ways to economize. Fortunately, I can still cruise twice/year, but not four.

I paid my 2/17 Mercury cruise up before the announcement came out. If they hit me for it I have deposit on a 09 Soltice cruise with them that I will cancel.

Why the empty threat to cancel your 09 cruise? Since you paid for your 2/17/08 cruise in full before the announcement, you won't be subject to the fuel surcharge.

Just to let people know. We have a family veranda for 5 people. Only 4 people can be on one reservation so we have 2 reservation numbers. Celebrity charged the $70 on the one reservation with 4 people and then an additional $35 for the reservation number with one person. I called and they took off the additional $35. So this is just a heads up for anyone else that has more than 4 in a cabin.

Bogus, check the price of oil.....They also contracted and said they could charge you a fuel surcharge so they are abiding by the contract.....

The fuel they are using now was optioned long ago on the futures market. Those costs were built into the current fares.

As far as the cruise contract. It says they can do a lot of things. That does not make it morally right for them to do it

And no matter what they have written into the contract when the cruise line oversteps they have been forced to refund. This year I have received several surprise refunds from Princess that I never requested. They had charged for incorrectly for government fees and someone found out about it. Princess was forced to make refunds to many passenger.

Fortunately, I can still cruise twice/year, but not four.

And that is what is going to happen. People will cruise less. Then of course the price will come back down because cruise vacations are not a necessity and the lines will want to fill the cabins. This is a cycle that has happened again and again.

:eek: Hi,

STRAIGHT TO THE POINT ,BRUTAL BUT EVER SO SIMPLE AND CORRECT.

Well said !!

Amen

;)

These surcharges are bogus. .

:( :eek: Hmmmm.....HELLO ?

Are you actually accusing the cruiseline industry of engaging in illegal or/and criminal activities ????

I suggest you perhaps re-think your statement which would certainly be interpreted as such an accusation by a properly motivated person.

Either that or I trust you have enough tangible evidences to support your allegation of ''bogus''......

You know this idea about $70.00 being the decisive factor about who should or should not even think to cruise is a prime example of a specific kind of social ignorance and intolerance that exists on these boards. The mud is always slung and yes, to the poster who commented it was bound to come, yes you are right it always does.

In simple terms, if anyone feels the cruiseline is being unfair to you, cancel your cruise and for heavens sake don't go.

You have my permission since that is all some around here seem to be looking for on these boards....just someone to validate. I don't need to be someone to reason with you or to fight with you or to disagree with you. In fact here's just the opposite. I agree with you....Don't go!

I paid my 2/17 Mercury cruise up before the announcement came out. If they hit me for it I have deposit on a 09 Soltice cruise with them that I will cancel.

You would cancel over a $70 charge? Where will you book, all the cruise lines have announced so far similar fuel surcharges.

The fact remains that there will be fellow guests on my very same cruise who booked the same price that I did, but are not out $110 extra because they paid they paid their balance prior to November 15th, unknowingly reaping this benefit. The fuel costs the same for their cabin as mine. I should have been given notice that I could obtain the same benefit by paying prior to November 16.

You have valid point here. HAL is charging everyone booked, paid, unpaid etc etc who are departing after Feb 8, 2008 and that is a little more fair as all passengers will be paying their share of the expense.

:confused: I was hoping some attorney would weigh in on this issue by now.

I just checked my reservation statement which was sent to me last month, and it says I paid them a deposit, and in return, they've promised to give me a cruise for a stated price, paid by a future date. Something about contract law should apply here.

I understand businesses have to cover their overhead, but that's how the bean counters come up with the price that should be charged for fares.

Airlines can't get away with this - why do cruise lines? Because they're foreign based? When oil goes up, airlines up their prices for new bookings.

And no, I can't just cancel - I'd lose money on my travel arrangements.:mad:

I have only read 90 some posts on this thread, but have read all of the 600 plus on the RCCL thread. I book X or RCCL depending on intinerary, etc., but have more credits on X.

Many of us are writing the Fl Attorney General and our own state's Attorney General on the matter. All of us who have already deposited on a cruise have a contract which allows for increases only in taxes and other governmental fees. I apologize if further on, this has already been posted, but here's a link to a Fl. AG settlement in 1997 and you can use the link to complain, by clicking on the contact us in the header: http://myfloridalegal.com/__852562220065EE67.nsf/0/32973A68E1B5BC5C85256435004EF6B1?Open&Highlight=0,norris,1997

"Under the agreements, the cruise lines can no longer charge customers any fees in addition to the advertised initial ticket price except those fees actually passed on by the company to a governmental agency."

It would appear that NCL is the only line in compliance as it is not charging the surcharge to those already booked and deposited.

I do not know why the suits thought they could get away with this given the contract language that your price will not go up except for taxes and other government fees once you are fully deposited. Perhaps they thought there would be no outrage.

Consider that new bookings for Jan and Dec are NOT being charged.

I can understand a fuel surcharge going foward for new bookings, but not those under contract, already. It is really an outrage not to have let those within days of their final payment, know that they could pay in full a little early and avoid the fees.

Writing the company is really of no avail, writing your AG and the FL AG might produce results.

Archived