For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

I am hoping that Southwest will finish the acquisition of Air Tran and start flying to San Juan SOON. That may help the situation. Unless things improve I will keep my reservation for an 8 night eastern Caribbean cruise on Independence instead of going back to the southern Caribbean on Adventure.

oh come on now.....i am on feb 17 and 24 sailing along with Robyn!!! I just ask her the other day how could we get you to sail with us???

I got a great deal on air tran out of bwi...i know you are so far north of me....but we could finally meet you!!!!

Hello everyone,

We have booked a family cruise on December 9th out of San Juan on AOS

It will be myself(40) and my wife(34), 2 kids(2 and 7) and my parents.

Previously my wife and I sailed the Oasis and we fell in love with Royal Caribbean.

Oasis was magnificent and it was JUST before Allure was born so it was the largest ship at the time.

Anything different to expect on this cruise? Anyone else cruise with younger kids before? I know my 7 year old is going to have a blast

Any tips for me would be appreciated.

There is a roll call for your sailing here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1462801

They're a great bunch of folks and they can probably answer all of your questions.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think this thread is long overdue.

Each week I see at least 2-3 posts regarding the Adventure of the Seas, people who have booked and are now afraid they made a mistake - and people who have yet to book, that may not ever book because of what they read on here.

As many of you know, I have cruised on the AOS 3 times and have had wonderful cruise vacations on all 3. I am sailing again next month on my 2nd B2B on the AOS and I am eagerly anticipating another fantastic cruise! :)

Here are a few commonly asked questions about the AOS:

Q: Does the AOS have a large amount of Puerto Ricans sailing on her for most cruises?

A: Yes, there are Puerto Rican's on cruises out of San Juan. It is their home port and I would be very surprised if they weren't.

Q: Are the announcements in Spanish as well as English?

A: Yes they are. Is it an issue? No.

Q: Are Puerto Ricans rude and rowdy?

A: No more rude and rowdy than other passengers I have seen on other ships and other itineraries. Puerto Ricans are a lively bunch :)

Q: Is the AOS a sick ship, or more prone to Noro than other ships?

A: No. The AOS has as much chance of a noro outbreak as any other ship in the RCI fleet.

Q: I have booked the AOS and after reading negative reviews, I want to cancel - what should I do?

A: You can cancel you cruise if you want, but you will be missing out on a fantastic cruise on a great ship sailing on a wonderful itinerary!

I do understand that some people have had negative experiences on the AOS - but the same can be said for any other ship. There will always be people cutting in line, pushing elevator buttons, chair hogging and the list goes on......unfortunately, some people like to leave their manners at home :(

My experiences have been terrific on the AOS and I would encourage anyone to sail on her and see for themselves what a great ship she is!!

Yes....I am an AOS cheerleader, and proud of it!!!

My wife and I have sailed on the AOS 2X out of Puerto Rico. I agree with you wholeheartedly. These were two of the best cruises that we were on. We have cruised 9 times 8 on RCCI and 1 on Carnival. Any one who booked a cruise or who is worried about booking a cruise on this ship don't worry, book it.

Hi all

We are sailing on AOS for the transatlantic crossing on 3 November. I've just heard that Reshma will be on going on maternity leave so will not be on that sailing. Does anyone know who the CL/suite concierge will be who is taking her place?

Many thanks.

Hi all

We are sailing on AOS for the transatlantic crossing on 3 November. I've just heard that Reshma will be on going on maternity leave so will not be on that sailing. Does anyone know who the CL/suite concierge will be who is taking her place?

Many thanks.

No idea :rolleyes: I know Reshma and she is very sweet, we met the first time she took over for DeDe and she did a great job!

I'd like the answer to this one too.....stay tuned ;)

Giving this thread a bump back up to the top!

Looking into possible excursions in St. Kitts - anyone have suggestions?

Can't wait to be back onboard!!! :):D:p

Is this your first time to St. Kitts? Last year was our first visit there and I usually like to get an overview of the island on the first visit. We did the tour with Thenford Grey. He is a very knowledgeable and personal gentleman who provided an excellent narrated tour of the island. He has a very comfortable and airconditioned bus-like van. I have nothing but good things to say about him.

BTW, did you know that the picture in my avatar is Adventure docked in Aruba taken at around 10 PM. That was back when the ship used to stay in port there until midnight.

Hey Everyone!

Back sailing on Adventure for Christmas this year after a couple of years absence from AOS. Looking forward to getting back on board.

I am assuming that Portofino is still the only specialty restaurant on board.

Robyn.......Any idea who the Concierge will be that week? Also is Dede still around? I've lost touch with her.

Also......been to St. Kitts numerous times and our favorite thing to do is head over to the Marriott! What a wonderful relaxing day. St. Kitts was taken off our itinerary at Christmas and I was very sad about that.

If you like hiking and want to see the natural side of St Kitts away from the shops, look up tours by Javin. You will have him all to yourself so he goes at your pace. He'll bring you a great snake and drink. He takes pictures the entire way and will post them at a minor sight for you to access. He's personable, reliable, and provided us with the most memorable excursion of our entire cruising life. We also snorkeled and did other various things with him. He can totally customize it for you.

Wow, I just looked for flights to San Juan. What a cluster ****. American no longer has ANY non stop flights from either Boston or Hartford and flying down the same day as the cruise is just about impossible. And while the cost to get there is not bad the cost of flights home is cazy!!!!

The gateway to the best itineraries is becoming harder and harder to get to.:(

Oh, no! Don't tell me this!!:eek: We have a great aft cabin booked late 2013, but frankly, of I can't find a direct flight to SJ from Boston, I'm not going. We'd love to sail S Caribbean again and enjoy Voyager class, but really, it's just too much at that time of year to be connecting. There are always last minute Dec deals and as much as I hate to give up the cabin, it's just not worth it!

ETA Ugh! Just checked AA for this years dates and no direct flights- if I'm going to have to connect I'm going somewhere cool, not just to the Caribbean- recalculating!

Oh, no! Don't tell me this!!:eek: We have a great aft cabin booked late 2013, but frankly, of I can't find a direct flight to SJ from Boston, I'm not going. We'd love to sail S Caribbean again and enjoy Voyager class, but really, it's just too much at that time of year to be connecting. There are always last minute Dec deals and as much as I hate to give up the cabin, it's just not worth it!

ETA Ugh! Just checked AA for this years dates and no direct flights- if I'm going to have to connect I'm going somewhere cool, not just to the Caribbean- recalculating!

We found out last year when returning that as of April 2012 that AA stopped the nonstop to SJU from Bradley ... I contacte AA who said it wasn't "profitable". It was always a full flight when we took it ...

We checked & JetBlue has the nonstop service from BDL to SJU and leaves only about half-hour or so later in the AM & return time is the same as AA schedule had been. Got 2 RT for $966 in March 2013. Everyone I spoke with highly recommended JetBlue .... Good luck .. hope this helps!

Is this your first time to St. Kitts? Last year was our first visit there and I usually like to get an overview of the island on the first visit. We did the tour with Thenford Grey. He is a very knowledgeable and personal gentleman who provided an excellent narrated tour of the island. He has a very comfortable and airconditioned bus-like van. I have nothing but good things to say about him.

BTW, did you know that the picture in my avatar is Adventure docked in Aruba taken at around 10 PM. That was back when the ship used to stay in port there until midnight.

Robyn ... Agree with Oceanboy! We did contact Thenford Grey & his brother was our driver for a group of about 12-15 of us. Our tour guide was very personable, professional & accommodating with photo requests or timing at our stops throughout the tour.

EXCELLENT day ... he took us around to many locations & we'd asked for time at the end of our tour to go to the "Shipwreck" where we met other cruisers (as preplanned) ... The Shipwreck had very good food, cooked to order, reasonable prices & a nice beach area. The monkeys & mongoose could be seen if you went across the road .... didn't want people feeding them near the Shipwreck itself.

Things may improve once Southwest finishes its take over of Air Tran and starts flying to SJU.

Hi all

Many thanks.

Sue, the Concierge has been a lady called Silvia for a while now

Carol

Robyn ... Agree with Oceanboy! We did contact Thenford Grey & his brother was our driver for a group of about 12-15 of us. Our tour guide was very personable, professional & accommodating with photo requests or timing at our stops throughout the tour.

EXCELLENT day ... he took us around to many locations & we'd asked for time at the end of our tour to go to the "Shipwreck" where we met other cruisers (as preplanned) ... The Shipwreck had very good food, cooked to order, reasonable prices & a nice beach area. The monkeys & mongoose could be seen if you went across the road .... didn't want people feeding them near the Shipwreck itself.

Thanks for the information - very helpful :)

Wow, I didn't realize it was the AOS - looks great! :)

I remember when the ship stayed in port until midnight, then it went to 8pm and now it is 10pm :rolleyes: When did it go to to 10pm?

My cruise on the AOS was my top cruise of all time...followed by a close 2nd on the Celebrity Summit, BOTH were out of San Juan. We already have AOS booked for Thanksgiving 2013.

Hi Nick!! Did you see my post about St Kitts & Thenford Grey's tour (I couldn't think of his brother's name at the time, who drove "gingerly"). Thanks so much for arranging it ... it was a great time. We are on the Summit in March 2013 with the gang from the AOS!!

Here's another recommendation for Thenford Grey. We first used him last year on our Jewel cruise and this year on our Adventure cruise. His brother, Sackville, was our tour guide this year. Both are wonderful men. When we arrived at the Shipwreck area of the beach, Thenford told Sackville to take us to the Carambola Beach Resort down the beach instead since we were his repeat customers. What a beautiful beach area! The burgers were $18 but we didn't care. The entire area was absolutely gorgeous! If you don't care about cost, go to Carambola. That's where the Governor General eats lunch.

We found out last year when returning that as of April 2012 that AA stopped the nonstop to SJU from Bradley ... I contacte AA who said it wasn't "profitable". It was always a full flight when we took it ...

Yeah, I don't get that. Every time we flew AA to SJU from Bradley the flight was packed both ways. How can that not be profitable?

Archived