For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

I love sailing out of San Juan. The southern itineraries are awesome. What I like most about the Radiance class ships is that the covered solarium is at times a welcome retreat from the southern Caribbean heat. It is also cool to be able to see the ocean from just about anywhere you happen to be inside the ship. There really is a lot of glass. What we missed was the Royal Promenade. We really enjoy hanging out there in the evenings.

I don't know if you have been to the southern Caribbean before but if you have any questions about the islands just ask away.

Thank you! I didn't realize the Brilliance and Radiance were the same class ship until you mentioned being able to see from everywhere. We were on the Radiance in Alaska. We enjoy the southern Caribbean also but this particular cruise has some ports we've never been to: Tortola, St Kitts and Guadaloupe. So those will be fun to see for the first time. Have you been to those?

Thank you! I didn't realize the Brilliance and Radiance were the same class ship until you mentioned being able to see from everywhere. We were on the Radiance in Alaska. We enjoy the southern Caribbean also but this particular cruise has some ports we've never been to: Tortola, St Kitts and Guadaloupe. So those will be fun to see for the first time. Have you been to those?

I went to St. Kitts for the first time on last year's cruise and will be going back this year on Independence. On a first time visit I like to get an overview of the island so we did a tour with a gentleman named Thenford Grey. There are several threads on the St. Kitts board that speak of him and you can find his website by googling his name. CC's software wont' let me give it to you. He is an absolute gentleman who is very knowledgable about the island and speaks pefect english with no accent. I recommend him highly if you are interested in such a tour.

I very much want to get to Tortola some day but have not made it yet. Nor have I been to Guadaloupe.

I went to St. Kitts for the first time on last year's cruise and will be going back this year on Independence. On a first time visit I like to get an overview of the island so we did a tour with a gentleman named Thenford Grey. There are several threads on the St. Kitts board that speak of him and you can find his website by googling his name. CC's software wont' let me give it to you. He is an absolute gentleman who is very knowledgable about the island and speaks pefect english with no accent. I recommend him highly if you are interested in such a tour.

I very much want to get to Tortola some day but have not made it yet. Nor have I been to Guadaloupe.

We will certainly check out Mr. Grey as it sounds like our favorite type of first time visit excursion. We did something similar in Panama and really enjoyed it. Come to think of it we also did that during our land trip to Barbados a couple years ago. The overview is great. I'll let you know what we think of Tortola and Guadaloupe.

Thanks again!

We will certainly check out Mr. Grey as it sounds like our favorite type of first time visit excursion. We did something similar in Panama and really enjoyed it. Come to think of it we also did that during our land trip to Barbados a couple years ago. The overview is great. I'll let you know what we think of Tortola and Guadaloupe.

Thanks again!

Just wanted to add ... we also used Thenford Grey's tour however had his brother, Sackville, as our guide. Sackville was also a perfect gentleman, spoke clear English & accomodated our request to get to the Shipwreck Beach Bar to meet friends .... He also took photos throughout the tour for our group of 12-15. I would use his service in a minute again!

Does anyone have any newer pictures of the cabins. I was looking at the below pictures on the link and the decor looks really dated. Any pictures of the bathroom too? Considering going on her in 2014.

I wasn't able to directly post photos, but if you look at this link, you can see some photos:

http://voyager-class.com/pictures/cabins/balc_E/gallery.html

If you click on the "Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure" section, you can see the differences in the balconies.

I was hoping to find out if they had the new menu yet (search didn't help) and what you like or dislike about that class of ship. I remembered you like sailing out of SJ so I was watching for a post from you.

Yes I just got off the Brilliance and I can confirm that they have the new menu in the MDR. It was a nice change, not that we disliked the previous menu but it's always nice to see new things.

As for the Adventure, I will be booking a b2b in January 2014 on her tomorrow. Can't wait to return to the Caribbean with Royal!!

Yes I made the comment in jest.

The real question is why are a lot of the roll call threads barely used? Seems that some have lots of activity for a roll call and then a bunch have very little. Like one I noticed is sailing in March and only has 6 replies thus far. But I guess my answer is that that sailing in particular just has less CC members sailing on her.

Either way I can't wait to join the AOS family as I just booked a Jan 2014 b2b on her!

ckrobyn maybe we will get to sail together this time(not sure if you recall but you were going to sail on the Explorer last year to Bermuda).

Yes I made the comment in jest.

The real question is why are a lot of the roll call threads barely used? Seems that some have lots of activity for a roll call and then a bunch have very little. Like one I noticed is sailing in March and only has 6 replies thus far. But I guess my answer is that that sailing in particular just has less CC members sailing on her.

Either way I can't wait to join the AOS family as I just booked a Jan 2014 b2b on her!

ckrobyn maybe we will get to sail together this time(not sure if you recall but you were going to sail on the Explorer last year to Bermuda).

Yes I do remember that :) Plans changed and we went on the Freedom instead. I am actually booked on the Explorer for November 2013 on the 11 nighter......

Roll calls seem to be either super busy, or super slow. I have had the pleasure of participating in both. It's fun when a roll call is active and the excitement of a cruise begins a year before you actually board! Luck of the draw I guess?

Yes I do remember that :) Plans changed and we went on the Freedom instead. I am actually booked on the Explorer for November 2013 on the 11 nighter......

Roll calls seem to be either super busy, or super slow. I have had the pleasure of participating in both. It's fun when a roll call is active and the excitement of a cruise begins a year before you actually board! Luck of the draw I guess?

Ahhh well maybe one day. As for the roll calls I guess it's not a huge deal if it's busy or not but we all know the busier a roll call is the funner the cruise tends to be with meeting people on board. However as long as there is enough for the M&M I won't complain.

Also having sailed on the Explorer before can I expect pretty much the same ship and venues? Is there much of a difference obviously other than different staff? I'm really looking forward to having the sauna and steam room back in the gym area.

Ahhh well maybe one day. As for the roll calls I guess it's not a huge deal if it's busy or not but we all know the busier a roll call is the funner the cruise tends to be with meeting people on board. However as long as there is enough for the M&M I won't complain.

Also having sailed on the Explorer before can I expect pretty much the same ship and venues? Is there much of a difference obviously other than different staff? I'm really looking forward to having the sauna and steam room back in the gym area.

Adventure is virtually identical to Explorer. Some venue names will be different, and the art will be different, but most all of it will be very familiar to you.

Hello everyone!!

Right now Abel Jeney is the Adventure's CD. On another thread says that she is suppose to be there until November. Does anyone know who is going to be the CD after her? Will like to know who's going to be our CD in December.

ckrobyn: We also love the Adventure's Owners Suites. I now that the balcony is smaller, but is a great room. ;) That's what we booked for our NYE cruise!!!

We just got off Adventure on Sunday after the transatlantic crossing. Abel Jeney is no longer the CD on AOS - he was replaced (at short notice I believe) by Drew Devine. I don't know how long he will be staying with AOS. It was sudden as all their documention showed Abel until a few days into the cruise when it showed Drew. But Drew was there from the beginning of the cruise. I believe Abel is no longer with RCI.

CK I was reading through some old post did you decide on the El Convento? This will be our 5th time in San Juan 3rd trip on the AOS , like you its our favorite ship. We stopped and ate at the Pizza e Birra restaurant thats at the El Convento last year they serve the draft beers from the Old Harbor Brewery plus like 50 other bottle beers from all over , it was great and that hotel looked so nice its more in the middlle of OSJ but I would bet it would be fun to stay at.

Also does anyone keep an updated list on the piano bar enterainers ? We love the piano bar was hoping to see who would be on there in April or might be the same person you have in Feb.

We just got off Adventure on Sunday after the transatlantic crossing. Abel Jeney is no longer the CD on AOS - he was replaced (at short notice I believe) by Drew Devine. I don't know how long he will be staying with AOS. It was sudden as all their documention showed Abel until a few days into the cruise when it showed Drew. But Drew was there from the beginning of the cruise. I believe Abel is no longer with RCI.

Thanks!! :):) Did you like him??

Any recommendations on excursions in the South Caribbean route? Visiting Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados...

1st time on AOS!

If you want to "see" the island take a guided tour ... We have used Fabian's and had an incredible tour. We have done the excursion through Royal Caribbean on "The Excellence" catamaran (Antigua) ... even done it more than once. Barbados has great beaches ... we have gone to Lobster Alive/The Boatyard which are side-by-side. We had a catamaran with Serenity Tours in St Lucia (we didn't coordinate it someone else did that part) ... had an excellent day and lunch was included too.

All depends on your preferences .. we usually do a land/historic day & then water/beach day so we don't burn up! You won't be disappointed in the So. Caribbean ... the AOS is our favorite ship too!!!

CK I was reading through some old post did you decide on the El Convento? This will be our 5th time in San Juan 3rd trip on the AOS , like you its our favorite ship. We stopped and ate at the Pizza e Birra restaurant thats at the El Convento last year they serve the draft beers from the Old Harbor Brewery plus like 50 other bottle beers from all over , it was great and that hotel looked so nice its more in the middlle of OSJ but I would bet it would be fun to stay at.

Also does anyone keep an updated list on the piano bar enterainers ? We love the piano bar was hoping to see who would be on there in April or might be the same person you have in Feb.

Hey Steve :)

As you can tell from my signature, we are kinda creatures of habit :rolleyes: We actually did not pursue El Convento, we decided to stay at the Marriott Stellaris again for 2 nights and were fortunate to be able to book with points, otherwise it is upwards of $300 a night. I am more adventurous than my DH.....if it were completely up to me, I would like to try a different hotel. We do plan to visit OSJ though. I am following Norbert's Niece's Blog and I am interested in Barrachina for dinner. Pizza E Birra sounds good too :D

Archived