For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Oh, no! Don't tell me this!!:eek: We have a great aft cabin booked late 2013, but frankly, of I can't find a direct flight to SJ from Boston, I'm not going. We'd love to sail S Caribbean again and enjoy Voyager class, but really, it's just too much at that time of year to be connecting. There are always last minute Dec deals and as much as I hate to give up the cabin, it's just not worth it!

ETA Ugh! Just checked AA for this years dates and no direct flights- if I'm going to have to connect I'm going somewhere cool, not just to the Caribbean- recalculating!

I have to say, I don't know what is happening with Logan these days. It seems that our regional international airport is becoming a secondary airport in many ways. There are no more non-stop flights to SJU. And I was thinking about going over to Rome for a few days to visit family and I found that there are no non-stop flights to Rome either! Even Alitalia has no non-stop flights between Boston and Rome. I don't get this. JFK seems to be the major airport now for this entire area. And getting to JFK is one big pain in the a$$ compared to Logan.

I have to say, I don't know what is happening with Logan these days. It seems that our regional international airport is becoming a secondary airport in many ways. There are no more non-stop flights to SJU. And I was thinking about going over to Rome for a few days to visit family and I found that there are no non-stop flights to Rome either! Even Alitalia has no non-stop flights between Boston and Rome. I don't get this. JFK seems to be the major airport now for this entire area. And getting to JFK is one big pain in the a$$ compared to Logan.

No more direct flights to RSW in FL, no more direct to San Juan, no direct to Africa and now you are telling me no Rome too?!! We thought we wouldn't go to far from Logan to retire, because we travel so much and i didn't want to be always connecting, but I love Maine - and to be honest with the lack of direct flights - what's the point in staying close?:rolleyes:Portland wouldn't be any worse! Actually I'm beginning to think a bus couldn't be worse.

So is SW for sure going to do a direct BOS to SJ? We don't have a final payment for almost a year, so we can wait!

So is SW for sure going to do a direct BOS to SJ? We don't have a final payment for almost a year, so we can wait!

I don't know. I am hoping so but we will only know for sure once the transition is complete. I wrote to Southwest to see if I could get a date for when the new routes and schedules would be released but they wouldn't say.

I don't know. I am hoping so but we will only know for sure once the transition is complete. I wrote to Southwest to see if I could get a date for when the new routes and schedules would be released but they wouldn't say.

You can just check the AirTran routes and make the reasonable assumption that they will all convert into SWA flights with maybe some minor changes.

For now we are stuck with AirTran nonstop from MCO to SJU. I look forward to that changing to a SWA flight.

You can just check the AirTran routes and make the reasonable assumption that they will all convert into SWA flights with maybe some minor changes.

For now we are stuck with AirTran nonstop from MCO to SJU. I look forward to that changing to a SWA flight.

Well, Air tran's flights from Boston to SJU stink too. There are no non-stops and 8-10 hours of traveling time for what should be a 4 hr flight doesn't cut it.

No more direct flights to RSW in FL, no more direct to San Juan, no direct to Africa and now you are telling me no Rome too?!! We thought we wouldn't go to far from Logan to retire, because we travel so much and i didn't want to be always connecting, but I love Maine - and to be honest with the lack of direct flights - what's the point in staying close?:rolleyes:Portland wouldn't be any worse! Actually I'm beginning to think a bus couldn't be worse.

I was on SW in June and inquired then .... I too got the information that it will happen but noone is giving a timeframe. I flew to Tampa and SW & AirTran gates are nearby .... I did get a comment that when it begins it will likely first start to rollout where it is physically easiest to transfer. I was also told the SW staff are not trained to do the overwater flights so those will be done with AirTran staff initially while the SW staff are trained.

I was hoping that it would work for March 2013 but they said it may be another year till things are integrated ... they'd just determined personnel issues like seniority in June (which they said was HUGE in the process). Does AirTran have a nonstop near you?

Anyone stay at El Convento lately? We always stay at the Stellaris, but I'm looking into other possibilities......:rolleyes:

Robyn ... In March 2012, my friends stayed at the Intercontinental (second year, alothough first year were upgraded for free to the Ritz due to overbooking) - they were satisfied there.

In March 2013, several of my cruise friends are staying at the Sheraton Convention Center as the one close to the port required a 2 night stay and most were arriving on Friday so it was only 1 night.

We are back at the Stellaris for 2 nights ... with some points I couldn't beat it even with the Sheraton's 2-night deal.

Well, Air tran's flights from Boston to SJU stink too. There are no non-stops and 8-10 hours of traveling time for what should be a 4 hr flight doesn't cut it.

Living where I do (Columbus Ohio) we can barely, and I mean RARELY fly direct anywhere. I can honestly say I have had 1 direct flight in my entire life, not that I fly a super lot. Having to fly to a 'hub' airport and changing planes is just a way of life for us and it really isn't that bad.

Each of my 2 cruises out of PR were a good 8 to 10 hours of traveling time easily. Guess I just wanted to convey that it does make for a long day, BUT, once you reach that destination a week of CRUISING :D awaits you. Good luck in your quest for flights and whatever you decide, have a GREAT cruise!

Living where I do (Columbus Ohio) we can barely, and I mean RARELY fly direct anywhere. I can honestly say I have had 1 direct flight in my entire life, not that I fly a super lot. Having to fly to a 'hub' airport and changing planes is just a way of life for us and it really isn't that bad.

Each of my 2 cruises out of PR were a good 8 to 10 hours of traveling time easily. Guess I just wanted to convey that it does make for a long day, BUT, once you reach that destination a week of CRUISING :D awaits you. Good luck in your quest for flights and whatever you decide, have a GREAT cruise!

I understand your post. But for us in New england, Boston was an easy gateway to anywhere in the world. The issue for some of us is that this seems to be changing.

How are the beds/mattresses? I have seen some pics, do not know if they are recent. The mattresses look thin? Can anyone share their experience? Were beds comfortable? Any information would be great. Thanks!

When I cruised on her in 2010 the mattress was absolutely fine. I slept really well. Glynandkath on the roll call have much more recent experience :)

I understand your post. But for us in New england, Boston was an easy gateway to anywhere in the world. The issue for some of us is that this seems to be changing.

My DW and I love our annual sailing any of the ships sailing out of San Juan. We will sail this January on the AOS and in January 2014 we will sail aboard the Jewel.

Currently there is one flight that is direct from Boston and that would be Jet Blue. We take that flight every year and the only thing we have to be concerned about is the dreaded snow cancelation. The AOS sails on Sunday so we are flying out of BOS on Saturday this coming January.

Smitty

Now for the bad news about all Southwest flights no matter where they leave from - when they finally go to SJU.

I was on SWA yesterday and was surprised to see new seats. Even more surprising is that they crammed in one more row adding 6 more seats to the flight. The leg room was noticeably less for my 34 inch inseam legs. I felt cramped unlike I ever felt before on SWA. The exit rows have been reversed with the 3 having extra legroom on the opposite side and considerable less legroom that they previously had although yes, still more legroom than the rest of the plan.

There is barely any recline to the seats either. Two inches give or take 1/4 inch.

This was a huge disappointment to me. I inquired and it will be happening to the entire fleet.

Gina

American Airlines is in bankruptcy? :eek::eek:

Unfortunately we booked our flight with AA back in May but were unaware of the troubles the airline was having. We've had our flight changed once already without even so much as an email or a phone call. I just happened to have been reviewing all our travel documents. I call the airline and they adjusted our travel times to better accomodate our needs. I'm just praying we make it to SJ without any problems.

I would love the option of carrying off my luggage at the end of a cruise.....but someone would need to share a very detailed and comprehensive packing list!!!! Who's up for that challenge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love the option of carrying off my luggage at the end of a cruise.....but someone would need to share a very detailed and comprehensive packing list!!!! Who's up for that challenge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Underware for two weeks (unless you are one of those people into washing stuff in the bathroom sink), a few shorts, t-shirts, sneakers, sandals, tooth brush and paste, shampoo. Now, I being a guy need a razor and shaving cream. You being a girl can use that extra space for anything that you want. Self carry-off should be a breeze. :D

For anyone living near BWI, Airtran has two direct flights a day to and from SJ. We booked for March 2013 a couple of months ago when flights were first available at a reasonable price. Right now the price is double what we paid but they seem to fluctuate quite a bit.

For anyone living near BWI, Airtran has two direct flights a day to and from SJ. We booked for March 2013 a couple of months ago when flights were first available at a reasonable price. Right now the price is double what we paid but they seem to fluctuate quite a bit.

We also have hit on a direct flight out of BWI on Airtran but for February 2013. Booked it a few months ago at a decent price it has since gone back up over $100. I hope one of our seats is an aisle cause my hubby is a big guy at 6'2" and putting his feet in and out of the aisle off and on is better than being totally crammed for 4 hours. This will be my first Adventure Cruise although I have been on a sister ship the Explorer 3 times. I do like this class of ship, not too big and not too small. Looking forward to sailing from instant warm weather since we normally sail out of Baltimore or Bayonne.

Archived