The Happy Wanderer---Summertime Down South

RuthC

Ruth & Company --

Things are going well over here on the Noordam in the Caribbean (Dominica Island at the moment). No nasty people with bullets to dodge; maybe that's an effect of crossing the Equator. I have AYW, although I asked for Traditional -- and so far it's worked out fine. I could take either in the future.

I loved those pix of Christ of the Andes. Very impressive.

Take care, my antipodean friends.

tomc

Last night was the first (of only five) formal nights, so Adele and I plunked ouselves down with the best view to watch the fashion parade. I'm thrilled to say that almost everyone at least met the code, most looked verrry nice, and a few were exceptionally well-dressed. Makes you glad you cleaned your glasses. :D

The men at our table were spiffy in tux (in Greg's case, clerics) and the ladies glittered.

We saw one man in tux with beaded jacket---I kept looking to see if he was carrying a candleabra---and cowboy hat (black, to match, of course). He certainly did draw the eye, and would have looked just as good if the coat were off---if you get my drift. :eek: There were a few thumbs out and about; I hope the soreness wears off before long, but I doubt they even realize it. :rolleyes:

Tonight's "toast of the day" will have to be postponed as it's the night of the VIP party. I guess we'll just have to have two tomorrow. ;)

I just got back from a midnight "laying on a deck chair under the stars" with a couple people up on the Sky Deck, or Observation Deck. Very peaceful, nice temps. Can you do that at your latitude?

We had a VIP party, but I slept thru it in the Lido while reading and having a mug of tea.

All goes well on the Noordam.

tomc

About four hours after we sailed from Rio Monday night there was a "Bright Star" alert. A woman had a heart attack outside the show lounge. Word is she was lost, then brought back and stabilized.

Yesterday, on the way to Buenos Aires, we stopped near Montevideo so she could be transferred to a boat and brought ashore. I watched from Lower Promenade as she (and her luggage) were moved over. The staff seemed to take great care and were comforting her. She was awake and looked alert.

We'll probably never know the outcome, but I know there are several hundred strangers praying for her recovery.

Off to tour BA!

About four hours after we sailed from Rio Monday night there was a "Bright Star" alert. A woman had a heart attack outside the show lounge. Word is she was lost, then brought back and stabilized.

Yesterday, on the way to Buenos Aires, we stopped near Montevideo so she could be transferred to a boat and brought ashore. I watched from Lower Promenade as she (and her luggage) were moved over. The staff seemed to take great care and were comforting her. She was awake and looked alert.

We'll probably never know the outcome, but I know there are several hundred strangers praying for her recovery.

Off to tour BA!

I'm sorry to hear that, Ruth, but am glad that she seemed to be stabilized. It's always sad to see someone who, for one reason or another, has their cruise interrupted. When we sailed on Princess, it happened twice.

That's what Montevideo has been promising us since the first day. You see, the ship is out---or nearly out---of some critical items. We haven't had peanuts at cocktail time, nor "the good nuts" on the first formal evening. Out; "We hope to get some in Montevideo". There were six cans of Caffeine Free Diet Coke (all expired)---"We hope to get more in Montevideo". There's no heavy-stock paper for the Daily Program, so we get photocopies. There's no plain iced tea, certain tea bags, several wines, and we're low on soap and TP. :eek:

There were 20 containers waiting to be on-loaded when we arrived today. I sure "hope" Montevideo came through for us. ;)

Thank goodness for Montevideo Ruth!!;) No one wants the ships occupants to smell like those cute little penguins!!:eek:

Seems you will be in luck- Buenos Aires is just lovely during the weekend when the traffic is not gridlock downtown!! If you all are still there Sunday go to the antique market, it is a totally wonderful experience!:D :D :D

Continued safe seas!!

That's what Montevideo has been promising us since the first day. You see, the ship is out---or nearly out---of some critical items. We haven't had peanuts at cocktail time, nor "the good nuts" on the first formal evening. Out; "We hope to get some in Montevideo". There were six cans of Caffeine Free Diet Coke (all expired)---"We hope to get more in Montevideo". There's no heavy-stock paper for the Daily Program, so we get photocopies. There's no plain iced tea, certain tea bags, several wines, and we're low on soap and TP. :eek:

There were 20 containers waiting to be on-loaded when we arrived today. I sure "hope" Montevideo came through for us. ;)

I'm hoping they got everything loaded too RuthC! They're also low on Kleenex (I actually had to ask my Steward for some the 2nd day) and the Yum Yum man is handing out the striped red peppermints instead of after-dinner mints.

There's no plain iced tea, certain tea bags, several wines, and we're low on soap and TP. :eek:

There were 20 containers waiting to be on-loaded when we arrived today. ;)

Ruth dearest - Am loving your travelogue, as usual. Keep up the good work. :)

John would be soooo disappointed about the lack of iced tea, and I'm guessing everyone must be concerned about the low TP supplies. :p

Was there any danger of the chocolate running low? :eek: Sure hope all those pallets waiting on the dock had everything Rotterdam needed. Wonder why she wasn't re-provisioned in Rio?

Archived