RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

Those cabanas are horrid IMO

I can't imagine anyone would want to spend a day in one.

That valuable deck space is needed for better use.....like a place to eat one's breakfast or lunch. Are there no tables and chairs around Lido pool now? If one goes to the taco bar late afternoon, where can you sit and eat your snack? Do you have to go into Lido?

I have no problem with them being creative trying to find new revenue streams. I realize they have to but this is one of the worst ideas I've seen.

JMHO........

I agree, they suck! I think everyone should go and get their food and park their butts in a cabana like Greg did. I'd love to see those things come down.

I think these 'things' are a joke, they take away the beautiful view you have when having lunch at either side of the ship, as a matter of fact this discriminates the passenger who expects to sit at a table and enjoy the view, poolside.. They better inform you that these 'things' are there when booking your cruise, I know what I will do...

I think these 'things' are a joke, they take away the beautiful view you have when having lunch at either side of the ship, as a matter of fact this discriminates the passenger who expects to sit at a table and enjoy the view, poolside.. They better inform you that these 'things' are there when booking your cruise, I know what I will do...

What will you do, Sir PMP?

Those cabanas are horrid IMO

I can't imagine anyone would want to spend a day in one.

Of course, I'm talking without the vaguest notion of what I am talking about, but it would seem to me that those things would get very, very hot ... especially on a Caribbean itinerary. There's no sort of ventilation in them, is there?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I still say they look like a bedouin housing development.

Slumtown.

But, don't worry, first strong wind and they will all blow out to sea. Good riddance.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You may guess..

:D: :D Seeing as I don't know you at all, I think I'll not attempt any guesses. :)

I agree, Kryos, they would be quite warm in the Caribbean. Many days when the dome is not fully open it is hard to breath at Lido pool sitting at lounges and tables. I can't imagine what it will be like in those things on a hot, humid Caribbean day.

Maybe they're removable and will only be used on some itineraries?

:D: :D Seeing as I don't know you at all, I think I'll not attempt any guesses. :)

I agree, Kryos, they would be quite warm in the Caribbean. Many days when the dome is not fully open it is hard to breath at Lido pool sitting at lounges and tables. I can't imagine what it will be like in those things on a hot, humid Caribbean day.

Maybe they're removable and will only be used on some itineraries?

Let's hope that's the case.

I can't imagine being stuck inside one of those cabanas behind the curtains and not being able to see what's going on around me...call me claustrophobic...the same reason I don't think I could do an Inside.

If we want to be out and about and enjoy the hub bub on the ship, we sit at the pool (usually the Sea View Pool). If we want peace and quiet, we sit on our verandah with a good book.

I don't know...I just don't see the appeal of those "Arabian Night" things called cabanas.

A agree about the cabanas. A final evaluation will not be until the Eurodam has sailed in the Caribbean. My feeling is that they will not last long. Especially the ones on the Observation deck. I'll bet that they are converted to cabins on its first drydock. They have 15 cabins there and cabins are a bigger revenue stream than the cabanas. I'm still puzzled as to why they would cut back on the seating capacity in the Lido. That will drive people to the main dinning room where service is more labor intensive.

Those cabanas are without a doubt the ugliest, stupidest thing I have ever seen aboard any ship, anywhere. Almost makes me think someone decided to play a joke on everyone with that idea:D .

Even if I were half tempted to rent such a space, I certainly wouldn't want a BED! ... which is what those look like. I'd hate to even say what the conjur up in my mind. They don't even look comfortable and I'd feel just plain stupid sitting in one:eek: .

Thank goodness they appear to be easily removeable. I agree with everyone else ... they would be horrendously hot in the Caribbean. So there's just no redeeming quality to them at all.

Fortunately, they look easily removeable ... hopefully out they go to free up some quality space!

Greg, thank you so much for all these terrific pictures and great commentary! I know you'll enjoy when other CCers join you all tomorrow! Can't wait to read more as your journey continues!:)

What will you do, Sir PMP?

Maybe the same thing us five Mariners are thinking of doing... changing to another cruise line for our 2009 Northern Europe cruise. That's five fares lost specifically because of the Lido cabanas.

OMG. Hal, what were you thinking with those cabanas. Last time I saw anything like that I was at a stag party and they put on one of those movies:eek:. I like that people can get to the front of the ship now but are there any deck chairs there? Think that I will stay with the Westerdam.

Rev Neal,

Thanks for all the great photos and postings, once again. You are amazing to put in so much time for all of us back home. Thanks for descrbing your cabin. IMO the cabanas aren't really worth the space they take but time will tell.

Has any one crew member addressed the dining room and Lido problems? If the crew is so experienced, why should there be such slow service, unless the cooking staff is relatively new and the waiters have to depend on them for better service.

Hope you had a fabulous 4th of July. Did they serve hot dogs and apple pie?

Thanks again for all your work on these postings.

Maybe the same thing us five Mariners are thinking of doing... changing to another cruise line for our 2009 Northern Europe cruise. That's five fares lost specifically because of the Lido cabanas.

Yes, you're right on, and I have done a couple since 1991!

No need to change lines - the Rotterdam is doing 8 Northern Europe cruises in 2009, and the Prinsendam is doing one. Neither of them have cabanas.

They have those cabanas on the private island on Princess cruises and there are many complaints about how hot they are...just not worth it.
The island cabanas are a whole different thing from those on board the Eurodam! :) And BTW HAL's cabanas on HMC have air conditioners to help keep them a bit cooler.

Hmmm,

So it seems to me that the only thing the cabanas have accomplished is to take up some much needed space in the Lido and compromise some of the other open space on board. Am also in complete agreement in regard to these "hotbeds" in the Caribbean.

Hopefully by the time I board at the beginning of December, the cabanas will be gone and the open air feeling of being on a ship will return.

It seems as though HAL added these cabanas as another revenue maker, but if the reviews continue in regard to the Lido, and perhaps lack of outdoor space especially in the Caribbean, Hal can end up losing by passengers booking other lines.

Barbara

Archived