Advice Needed for Surprise Cruise

MadManOfBethesda

Good morning, good people. I've just registered on this site because I am planning to surprise my wife with a cruise for our 30th anniversary in January, and although we've taken about 10 cruises, we haven't cruised in 5-6 years, or on HAL in about 10. So, I'd like to get some updated info and advice. I've decided on one or two of the following cruises.

A 15-day cruise to Hawaii r/t from San Diego on the Zandaam that departs on Jan 6. We would be booked in a verandah mini suite, BB guarantee at a price of about $3200 per person.

Or, for less than $1000 more per person, we can book a category FF outside guarantee on the Ryndam for a 30 day cruise that also departs San Diego on January 4, but in addition to Hawaii goes to Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea, etc., before returning to San Diego.

Here are my issues/concerns:

1. We've never taken a cruise longer than 10 days. Should we gradually move up to longer cruises by taking a 15-day cruise this time, or go ahead and go for the 30?

2. Weather: I've researched trips to Tahiti in the past (as a matter of fact I was booked on a Ren cruise of the Society Islands for the summer of 2002, but they went out of business after 9/11). As I recall, June-August seemed to be the optimum time to travel there with Dec-Feb being the rainy period. Does anyone have any experience with being in the Society Islands in January? Should I be concerned with the weather?

3. The only HAL ships we've been on are the Statendam and the Veendam, but that was sometime ago. I know that the Ryndam is a sister ship, but what shape is she in?

4. Between the Ryndam and the Zandaam, would you recommend one ship over the other?

5. On the Statendam we were in an S category suite, and on the Veendam a BB mini-suite. As noted above, I've booked the mini-suite on the 15-day cruise on the Zaandam, but I am not prepared to pay close to $20,000 to do so for a 30-day cruise on the Ryndam. I realize that this is a personal decision, but I would like to hear your thoughts (especially since I can't ask my DW since this is a surprise) whether you'd be happier in a mini-suite for 15 days or in a regular outside cabin for 30.

I realize that this has been a long post to read and I appreciate your willingness to do so and to impart your wisdom.

TIA

Several things to consider: What limited your previous cruises to ten days or less? Work, family? How do you like sea days? You will have four sea days on each end of the Hawaii cruise, and a total of 17 sea days on the 30 day cruise...How much time do you spend in your cabin? Would you spend a lot of the sea days relaxing on the veranda? There are usually quiet nooks on a ship where you can relax with a book or needlework, but a larger cabin might draw you to spend more time there instead of exploring what the ship has to offer. EM

I agree that the balcony is a must to make it a "special" anniversary cruise. Dinner or breakfast on the balcony can't be beat.

I can't answer your question about the ships, as I've not been on either one, but generally ALL HAL ships are in good shape. We sailed on the "old" Noordam just before they sold her, and while old and showing a little wear, she was still a beauty. We miss her. We traveled on the Zuiderdam, and while a beautiful ship, not in the same class as the smaller HAL ships.

My vote goes to the Hawaii cruise, 6 sea days would be more than enough for me. Don't think I could hang with the 17, but that's just me.

Congratulations on your anniversary, and have a great cruise!

Thanks for the responses so far.

I agree that the balcony would make the cruise more special and that is why this decision is so difficult for me to make. When we were in an S category suite, we really took advantage of the large veranda by relaxing on the lounge chairs soaking up the sun on sea days or eating breakfast at the table out there, but I wonder how much time we'd spend just sitting on regular chairs on a comparatively much smaller balcony. Or are the balconies larger on the Zandaam then they are on the Statendam class ships? It's difficult to tell from HAL's website.

In answer to Essiesmom's question, we were limited in the past to only 7 and/or 10 day cruises due to work. Although we both still work now, I have surriptitiously spoken with DW's supervisor and received approval for my DW to get a five week leave of absence.

We both love sea days and have always planned on taking long sea voyages once we were retired, but I figured why wait? I've had serious health problems in the past, so why not go now when we both are healthy? Who knows what the future will bring?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

WOW. You are truly a wonderful husband to do this!

I, personally, would opt for the longer trip, if I could get off work that long! All those wonderful sea days! But, that's just MHO. Big decision for you to make, but, I'm sure your wife will be thrilled with whichever you pick.

Don't have any knowledge of either ship; but, agree with agabbymama that, generally all of HAL's ships are in good shape. Also agree that I miss the old Noordam terribly! She was so special.

I'd take the 30-day cruise in a heartbeat.

I'd also prefer to get the gift before it was booked, so we could discuss the options, but... that's just me.

I'm with you; I'd rather know about something in advance and hate surprises. My DW, on the other hand, is the complete polar opposite. To give you an extreme example, I asked her if she wanted to go see a movie over the weekend and told her that there was a particular movie that I wanted to see. She didn't want me to tell her the name of the movie or what it was about so that she could be surprised, if you will, by its content.

BTW, Bottle Shock is a wonderful little movie and I recommend it highly.

Hi,

I have been on the Ryndam and it is a very nice ship.

Don't be afraid of long cruises. We recently booked 32 day transatlantic on the Oosterdam and can't wait. Longest cruise for us has been 23 days and we hated to exit the ship. You get into a routine on the longer cruises and you feel like you are at home but better.

We saw Bottle shock this weekend as well. A really nice surprise movie. Loved it.

Regards,

San Diego Sue:D

With a small price differential between the 15 and 30 day cruises, i would go for the 30 day. The exotic ports of call that you would be going to would be a trip of a lifetime for most of us. With past health problems, today is the future, go for it, Do not make the balcony the deciding factor here. You will want to spend most of your time on deck, there will be almost no children, it will be relaxing, and something you and your wife will forever cherish. Good luck.

With a small price differential between the 15 and 30 day cruises, i would go for the 30 day.

Wow, everyone, you're making this difficult, but I appreciate the continued weighing in of personal opinions. Maybe I should have posted this as a poll, lol.

If I look at this objectively as a financial matter, there is no contest. (I know, I know, that diminishes the "romantic" aspect of the whole idea.) Not only is there a small monetary difference between the two cruises, but the 30-day cruise is a much better value from a strictly retail point of view. As I noted in my OP, the cost of the FF guarantee would be about $4200. It is actually $3859, + 182.55 taxes + 126 fuel surcharge for a total of $4167. This is based, btw, on a mailing I received directly from HAL for mariner members. Looking at their website a few minutes ago, I saw that they are marketing the same FF cabin on that cruise for $5559+182.55+126=$5867. So my discount is $1,700/pp or $3,400. Conversely, the discount on the veranda cabin on the 15 day cruise is only a $300pp or $600 total. (Without going into the same detail, it works out to $3,209pp as opposed to $3,515pp.for the BB guarantee.)

So there is no question which cruise is the better "value." However, that's not why I'm booking a cruise to begin with. It still comes down to which trip my DW would enjoy more. If I was prepared to book an S category on the 15-day trip that would definitely be the deciding factor; the large veranda with the loungers, the access to the Neptune lounge, as well as all the other suite amenities would definitely outweigh the longer 30-day cruise. However, I'm just not sure how much we'll actually use the smaller veranda with just the two regular chairs out there and a small table. Accordingly, I am leaning toward the longer cruise to the more exotic locale (in addition to Hawaii).

As a side note, the only time that we've sailed without a veranda cabin was on our Seabourn and Windstar cruises. We really didn't seem to miss them then, but those were completely different sailing experiences.

When we've had a small veranda, with just the two chairs, we still ate breakfast out there every day and used it in the afternoon to sit and relax on sea days.

I wouldn't presume to make the decision for you , but just wanted you to know that that size veranda is OK.:D

Here's my two cents :) .

We've sailed on all three ships and all are nice. We just took the 15 day Hawaii cruise on Zaandam last April.

Zaandam is our favorite, but I can't pinpoint why. It must be the Explorations Cafe area, which was not on the other 2 ships when we sailed them.

We had a Verandah Suite----#6208 to be exact---. We absolutely loved that location. It's at the aft end, by stairs and elevators. NO noise.

It's 1 deck up from Explorations (great morning Lattes), and a couple of decks down to dining and a couple decks up to Lido.

The balcony has a lounger and chair and small table. We would absolutely take this cabin again.

Surprisingly, Mike likes long sea days, but by the 4th day, we were ready for shore. We've taken this cruise before. I have some health challenges also, and 15 days can be tiring.

We've gone in April on both cruises. We plan to go back in 2011, and probably in April. I don't do well in heat.

So, I guess I'm saying,--- for me---and if it were a surprise---I'd probably go for the 15 day with the balcony (which we love). :)

Pat

We have done the circle Hawaii around six times. We leave in just over two weeks for our third 32 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise.

If I had to choose between the two the longer cruise will win everytime. There is something about spending a month at sea that allows you to step outside yoursleves and relax in ways never before thought possible.

I am certain that your lady will be ecstatic regardless of which you choose. But for romance and time together 30 days at sea can't be beat.

You mention you have had some health issues in the past. My personal feeling is "grab it and run"!! Go with the longer voyage and more exotic ports. Should you feel like it you can do the shorter trip later with a balcony to repeat parts of the itinerary. For me it would be no contest. my motto with cruising is always " more is better" meaning days onboard. We are "lowly" inside cabin folks, but wouldn't ever consider exchanging more trips for balconies...we have had a couple of upgrades to outsides which were nice, but did not make our trip hugely more enjoyable. Do what you feel would give you both the most joy. Any chance of a casual conversation about cruising in generalities so you can scope out DW impressions? I must admit I would like to be in on this decision as DW....I might just make an offhand comment if asked casually when I didn't know he meant it!! You could make it a wonderfully romantic evening with speicla dinner etc, which would also be part of the memory of the trip.Have fun whatever, and congratulations.

Several things to consider: What limited your previous cruises to ten days or less? Work, family? How do you like sea days? You will have four sea days on each end of the Hawaii cruise, and a total of 17 sea days on the 30 day cruise...How much time do you spend in your cabin? Would you spend a lot of the sea days relaxing on the veranda? There are usually quiet nooks on a ship where you can relax with a book or needlework, but a larger cabin might draw you to spend more time there instead of exploring what the ship has to offer. EM

And the 30 day will have about 17 or so sea days. So, for either of these cruises, you have to like sea days or you won't be happy.

My vote is for the 30-day in an outside cabin. Why? Well, first of all, 30 days is more than 15 ... a no brainer ... so it's a better value for the money. Also, you'll get to visit the South Pacific in addition to Hawaii with that cruise. You'll also get overnight stays in Oahu and Bora Bora on the 30-day, without sacrificing the stop at Kauai. On the regular 15-day Hawaii sailings, if you get the overnight in Oahu, you don't stop at all in Kauai -- much too beautiful an island to give up.

As for the balcony, I personally don't feel giving that up is too big a price to pay to get an additional 15 days on the ship. True, it's a convenience to have one's own balcony to lounge on, but there are also lots of other places onboard the ship to curl up with a good book and watch the ocean go by. You don't have to have a balcony to enjoy sea views.

Another plus for the 30-day cruise is that while it is not technically a "grand voyage" with the heightened amenities, it is somewhere in between a regular cruise and a "grand voyage." What that means is that everything onboard will be kicked up a notch since it is a longer cruise. You'll have more activities, better food, stuff like black and white balls, and various dining room events. You don't get those on regular cruises.

Also, on a 30-day cruise you will get very, very few children ... if any at all. There is no way most parents can yank the kids out of school for that long a period. The cruise is also a bit more expensive and parents are not as quick to bring the kids along if they were thinking of taking it.

So, my vote would be for the 30-day. It's a wonderful sailing.

Blue skies ...

--rita

... you'll get to visit the South Pacific in addition to Hawaii with that cruise. You'll also get overnight stays in Oahu and Bora Bora on the 30-day, without sacrificing the stop at Kauai. On the regular 15-day Hawaii sailings, if you get the overnight in Oahu, you don't stop at all in Kauai -- much too beautiful an island to give up.... <snip>

Another plus for the 30-day cruise is that while it is not technically a "grand voyage" with the heightened amenities, it is somewhere in between a regular cruise and a "grand voyage." What that means is that everything onboard will be kicked up a notch since it is a longer cruise. You'll have more activities, better food, stuff like black and white balls, and various dining room events. You don't get those on regular cruises.

So, my vote would be for the 30-day. It's a wonderful sailing.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks again everyone for your continued participation in this thread and for all your wonderful insightful comments.

Rita: You have noted a couple of advantages that I hadn't considered. And in fact, was unaware of the enhanced activities, balls, and events on longer cruises. Can you (or anyone) elaborate on what those entail?

There is one disadvantage to the 30-day cruise that I just found out about this afternoon. On the 15-day cruise, all seating options and times are still available. On the 30-day cruise, they are all closed or waitlist only with the exception of AYWD. This of course would not be the determining factor, but I don't relish the thought of having to make dining reservations every night for 30 nights or take my chances by just showing up and waiting in line.

That would just be a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things and I am still leaning toward the longer cruise. There just seems to be something poetic in surprising my DW with a 30 day cruise on our 30th anniversary. One day for each wonderful year.

Scott

Disclaimer: I book inside cabins and prefer longer cruises.

I've done the circle Hawaii three times, and the South Pacific cruise once. I prefer the Hawaii cruise as I don't care for hot weather.

I'd take the 3-day South Pacific cruise. Those long sea days with a port every once in a while are divine.

And you might see flying fish!

Scott..What a wonderful surprise!..My vote is for the longer South Pacific cruise..We usually take the longer cruises & enjoy them very much..We made on exception for Alaska, & I hated to get off the ship..To me that was much too short..

It might be fun to give it to your wife for Christmas so she has a couple of weeks to prepare her wardrobe..You will have approx 8 formal nights on the 30 day cruise, so she might want to purchase a few things for her trip..As an extra surprise on the ship you could book a "Renewal of vows Package" on HAL without her knowing..The cost used to be around $150.00..

We just booked a 28 day on the "Statendam" for Nov. 2009 in an outside cabin..We enjoy the outside cabins since we like to people watch.. We'll spend all of our sea days out on Hal's wonderful Promenade Deck..This way we see the water, sleep (err read);) & people watch at the same time..We'll have 17 sea days on this trip which we are looking forward to..

Enjoy planning your surprise!

Cheers...:) Betty

P.S. Welcome to Cruise Critic

I"m so sorry -- being torn between these two choices -- and what a delightful dilemma you have! :D

I would go for the longer trip as well -- for several reasons, most of which have been mentioned above... who knows what health challenges the future holds, how many dollars per hour does that balcony actually work out to on the shorter cruise, the delight of a whole month away from it all with someone else cooking and cleaning, and the exotic ports of the South Seas singing their siren song to you... :rolleyes:

And, although it's been mentioned... there is a lovely ring to "30 days together to celebrate and remember 30 years together."

Best of luck with the choice! Let us know how it turns out, one way or the other.

Tahiti in their summer is extremely HOT and HUMID.

You know your wife better than we do - how does she feel about the balcony/mini suite as opposed to another cabin?

If it were MY husband, I would hope he'd go for the better cabin, and the better weather. But as I said - you know her - use your intuition. I'll bet after 30 years together it will serve you well, and you already know the answer!

You are, as has been mentioned a DREAM HUSBAND and your wife is SO lucky, no matter what you choose and I know you'll have a wonderful time!!

:DMoriah

Archived