Message Board Etiquette? Your Opinion ....

sail7seas

But I do have a problem when people post things like: have a nice trip, or enjoyed your reiview, or I did not know that. These types of posts do not add to the conversation and just make reading the thread more difficult.

Just my opinion.

I have the opposite opinion on this. As one who has done mucho "Live from"-type threads, and a few more post-cruise reviews, I can say that, for me, the feedback is essential. If I thought I were posting to an abyss I wouldn't post those threads anymore.

I need the give & take that an "enjoyed your review" provides.

And I like giving and receiving a "Bon Voyage" message.

Not knowing which posts Sail is referring to, I can't make an informed comment to the specifics.

However, over the years I've seen one type of scenario several times. Someone, typically a new poster, will ask the same question on multiple threads (they aren't the OP) over a period of days. It is usually a review or comments of the 'Abc..DAM'. Their questions will be answered each time, but it is obvious that they aren't seeing the answers (or why would they keep asking the same question). A more experienced CC'er will notice this and politely point this out and often shows how to easily find the answers they've received. Sometimes the new poster takes offense at this. I find it sad, as the experienced CC'er was trying to be helpful and see that the newbie gets the answers/information for which they came looking.

I've also seen posts where someone criticizes an earlier poster for posting only to build their post count. IMHO the criticizer is rude, but I would never call them on it. On the other hand, if they really attack the earlier poster, I'll use the 'triangle'.

I suppose that posters don't owe each other anything but civility. However, I wish there were some way to require them to disclose an interest. Sometimes I get a very strong impression that a poster is an employee, a disgruntled ex-employee or any of many other kinds of an interest. I'm sure that many more times the poster is subtle enough that I don't recognize his or her interest, but their posts skew the impression one gets of the attitudes of CC members generally. As it is, we have to take any impression we get from reading the thread with at least one grain of salt, which is too bad.

I enjoy reading people reviews -- I and really like to tahnak them for taking the time to write their reviews. Some people spend a lot of time doing their reports and I am sure that if people didn't respond to their thread, they would be disappointed.

I also like to answer GmaPajama's Bon Voyage threads -- she takes a lot of time to write them and set them up for the various CC'ers. I feel bad as many times there are only a couple of us who will wish people a "Bon Voyage".

In the last couple of years we have gotten a LOT of new members on the HAL section and so often the search function hasn't worked here. Many of us are willing to take the time and answer questions even though they have been answered in the past.

As Pete Jackson mentioned -- if there are some of you who don't want to see posts from some of us -- just go to to the UserCP and click on the Edit Ignore List. Thank you Pete for the suggestion -- I had forgotten about that feature!!

Thanks for your comments.

I have the spare time, the interest and love of all things HAL so greatly enjoy the time I spend here. I've seen several references in recent months including in an on-going current thread about people who post to many threads and thought to myself, perhaps I should put on the brakes.

I really didn't see how it would be bothersome to someone else however much on person posts. As previously pointed out, if one doesn't want to read it, don't.

And, I also enjoy saying, Great Review or Thanks for taking the time to write the review. If no one comments, the poster could easily think no one read or liked it much and that would be hurtful. IMO I may not agree with what someone writes but I (almost always) appreciate they went to the effort (usually) for our benefit.

I think a person can post as much or as little as they like, as long as they have something on point to say - it can be "bon voyage!" or a detailed answer to a question. What I don't like is what has been said before "hijacked" posts that have nothing to do with the original thread, and I also do not like threads where a poster asks a legitimate question, and the reply is "I can't answer your question, but" and then goes on to their own agenda, which has nothing to do with the original question. And I don't mean something like "I've not been on the Maasdam but I've been on her sister ship the Veendam and..." I mean things that seem to be written just to cause one of the famous arguments (I don't know where you can smoke on board, but smoking is bad for my health and I don't want you anywhere near me, etc.), or things that seem to be written just because the poster wants to relate something on a totally different subject and for whatever reason doesn't want to start their own thread.

Mary

I don't have a problem with posters with high post counts answering questions. I appreciate it. I think newbies can bring something to the table as well. The thing I don't appreciate is snarky answers or people telling others their concerns are not valid.

Seems to me one should be able to post as much as he/she wishes. The reader can always ignore any posts, either by using the function or just passing over the post in question.

As for the acknowledgement posts, I think they are essential to a vital board. If we did not acknowledge the hard work and good writing skills of those who post such interesting reports, we'd likely not have very many....and they are often fascinating and informative.

I find reports about extreme South America, the South Pacific, and the World Voyage reports absolutely amazing, and I'm really grateful for them. For me not acknowledge them to the writers is unthinkable.

This is a grand place to learn about and enjoy cruising. For me, it's fine just the way it is, SO POST ON...AND ON....AND ON. Just be nice about it.

AA ( not a member and rarely drink) has a saying "take what you need and leave the rest". A message board is like an AA meeting cause you never know who is going to show, what their agenda is or what they are going to say, or not.

For some, that makes it interesting. For others, it's frustrating.

No two people experience the same cruise, the same way, no different than life. Some of the best threads on this or any message board are the ones that go seriously off track, occasionally to places where no man should go. ;)

I take responsibility for what I read. If there is a topic or a poster I do not care for, I take a detour.

I like giving and receiving a "Bon Voyage" message.

I, too, like to give greetings. The boards for me are not just for

information exchange, but are a conservation. And these are

sincere thoughts and wishes to people I have either meet on ship or

people I "know" just from posting on the board.

So, here's a Cheery Hello, one and all! :)

I, too, like to give greetings. The boards for me are not just for

information exchange, but are a conservation. And these are

sincere thoughts and wishes to people I have either meet on ship or

people I "know" just from posting on the board.

:)

I know this will not be a popular response but....

I dislike the social aspect of the boards as it takes away from the information dissemination. It is why I discourage new cruisers from reading Cruise Critic - it's more of a social network than a sharing of information and reviews/opinions.

My pet peeve is smiles..............hate them!

While I agree that a poster should have a general idea of what has been said on a particular topic before contributing his/her opinion, the fact that some threads have gone on for so long means that some fairly intensive reading might be required to be fully aware of all previously expressed opinions.

If I see a topic that interests me, and I feel I have some input, I do not believe I have to go through a dozen or more pages before saying something. So what if I might be repeating a previously expressed view? It is still my view - and the simple fact that one more poster feels the same way about some topic is an item of information in itself.

The only real annoyances in my mind are the people who, for whatever reason,seem to feel that other peoples' posts should be banned: censorship on an open discussion board is not generally desireable.

I have posed questions here that have probably been asked and answered several times previously, but never once have my inquires been dismissed or belittled. I am VERY appreciative of every response, and particularly those from long time posters with more cruise experience.

Those who give their time, and are so willing to impart their wisdom, are to be applauded... every time they post, and post, and post!

I think that some people have more of an interest level in CC than others so they post more often-----nothing wrong with that.

Some posters seem like old friends, others grow on you with time and some are chronic s***t disturbers-------all make for interesting and sometimes very amusing reading and one gleans a wealth of information that they wouldn't otherwise have access to.

I also feel that the social aspect is just as important as the informational opportunity as when you do eventually meet a fellow CCer aboard a ship you have a great connection already established.

Hmmm..... when asked my opinion I am truthful but not crude.

I help where I can and enjoy getting help. There are some trolls that I wish had more in their life that amussed them. Some debates are healthy but in the end you have to agree to disagree-many times there is no right or wrong. That being said, there are many friendships I have forged on these boards and on the ship that have continued in my everyday life. For that I am thankful.

Oh and one more thing-my pet peeve- Why do people feel the need to say:

first post and hopefully the last

Why are you finding these boards now?

etc etc

Honestly, Many don't hear of the board until on board a ship and someone mentions it. Second although really negative, first post are sometimes the first time a person feels they can add something. For one, I read the boards months before I posted. If my experience was negative I would want to share that as some people (not all or many) can say no wrong about their favorite line. Truly, I love every line I have been on and all for different reasons. There is not one line just for me. Just in life there are those that are always negative who annoy us and there are those who sugar coat everything.

If my experience was negative I would want to share that as some people (not all or many) can say no wrong about their favorite line.

I agree. And since what someone finds good, someone else may have an issue with (and post a "negative" comment/review). I enjoy reading both good and bad as opinions differ and I feel I get a more realistic idea of what to expect.

Kudoos to all for the general level of civility on this board. Yes, we could do with fewer snarky put-downs; but generally disagreement is expressed diplomatically, and with detail. The "chat" is charming (and easy to skim or skip) and the information first-rate.

Thanks to the everyone for their patient, witty, and comprehensive replies.

I’ve observed some interpersonal dynamics on this forum, but I haven’t noticed much specific criticism of those who post often.

I enjoy it all. The lively & entertaining booze threads, smoking threads & dress code threads. The informative how-to threads on all manner of life aboard a HAL ship. The anguished is HAL for me threads? The wishful upgrade fairy threads. And the generous “live from” threads & cruise reports. It’s a nice combo of hard info, comic interplay & community sharing. And it’s all made possible by frequent posters, occasional contributors and newbies. It’s all good. :cool::cool:

I'm glad that most people think it is OK to post often. This site is about communicating and sharing ideas. If we discourage 'talking', then we will start second guessing whether our posts are 'good enough' to be posted. Some people are really good at talking and others might be a little shy. We don't want to stop those, because, we all have value and want to hear the responses.

I love reading CC.

Well, I am pretty new in these parts....and I am new to cruising...just getting ready to do my second real cruise...I did one shorty day long cruise that I don't really count. That being said....I need all the information and expertise that the regulars can give to me. I love their insight and never get peeved when they post and share their stories. I hope they are patient with people like me, who are new and ask redundant questions. I am glad I found this group...and perhaps if I am not too annoying, may actually feel like one of the gang one day.

A lot of wonderful opinions have been expressed on this thread. I agree with some, not with others ... and that's ok. We don't all have to agree.

I suppose that one of the things that annoys me, but isn't exactly bad etiquette, is when someone quote-copies someone else's entire post, then just adds what I call an "atta-boy" or "atta-girl" remark. It usually happens in the midst of some heated debate and serves no substantive purpose other than to make it appear as though one side in a debate ("fight") has a large following of fellow-posters in agreement with them. It's a debate tactic designed to sway opinion of fence-sitters as well as to slap those on the other side of the debate. I've seen this kind of thing, repeatedly, and often the person who posts the "atta-girl" (1) hasn't yet posted on the thread, (2) doesn't normally post on our board, (3) makes no other contribution to the discussion/debate.

But ... if someone wants to do that, it's their business. I usually just try to ignore such remarks and move on.

One thing I'd like to see some folks consider is quoting the entire post. Some posts are quite long, and the reply refers only to one sentence ... maybe two. Why not delete all but the pertinent sentence(s) and save space and screen loading time? Just a kind suggestion.

Archived