Message Board Etiquette? Your Opinion ....

sail7seas

Did you ever ask why some of us post in BOLD?? I have eye problems and bold type is so much easier for me to read.

There are days when I have a very hard time reading some of the posts.

Another solution would be to increase the font on all the web pages you view. With my windows computer, it is as easy as holding down the control key and turning the scroll wheel. I am sure the tech guys know other ways.

• Anyone who says "Thread over, move along!" gets a 7-day ban. Second offence, 30-day ban. Third offence... g'bye!

I totally agree with that one. It drives me crazy when people have decided when a thread has run it's course. It will die when it's ready to die.

I believe people have the right to post where ever and whenever they want to as long as they have an opinion or something to add, whether positive or negative, and I think it is rude when they are questioned about it or they whine about it to the hosts because they don't like what you said.

Robin,just for you! Some random courtroom questions from official courtroom records with both lawyers and a doctors taking center stage! Just a warning; the doctors win this round!;)

Q: Now, doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, in most cases he just passes quietly away and doesn't know anything about it until the next morning?

Q: Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people?

A: All my autopsies are performed on dead people.

Q: And doctor, do you recall approximately the time that you examined the body

A: It was in the evening. The autopsy started about 8:30 pm.

Q: And Mr. Edington was dead at the time, is that correct?

A: No, he was sitting on the table wondering why I was doing an autopsy on him!

Q: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?

A: No.

Q: Did you check for blood pressure?

Q: Did you check for breathing?

Q: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?

Q: How can you be so sure, doctor?

A: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.

Q: But could the patient have still been alive nevertheless?

A: It is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law somewhere.

John, I always enjoy your posts, but this one really had me ROFLOL! LOVE it! (and yes, I've known a few lawyers in the past) :D

Why leave?? Stick around, there are always more cruises and more to learn! :D

Too be sure when I book another cruise on HAL one day I will be back trying to backfill any nugget I missed but reality is that we have a string of land vacations backing up on us as well. I just wish there was a Cruise Critic type forum for every vacation option. This is a unique learning place that you have all created by being so informed and such fans of HAL You are the best thing HAL has for future cruisers. I hope that when I do book another HAL cruise you will all be here posting as much or as little as you wish, in any way you want, about anything because to a new person hanging on every word these are all valuable insights.

As a fairly new poster who is here for the amazing amount of information I have gleaned here, I can say that whether anyone posts often or seldom you are all new and appreciated to a new person coming in. Your information may be repeated over time but for each of us gobbling up info it is a first. I am amazed by your patience. I know I will be gone as quickly as I arrived after my February cruise and I also know that you will be here helping all the new people asking the same questions. Don't change.

Sail7Seas, you are at the top of my list for helpful, generous and gracious posters. I don't know how I cruised for so many years and knew so little. I will say goodbye with a review but what you all won't see is the absolute admiration for your patience with everything but dress codes and smoking! (kidding)

You are so nice. Thanks.

But...... why do you plan to disappear after your cruise? Stay with us. Who knows but that we might not tempt you to cruise again and you'll be current and up to date with the latest info re: HAL ships. Sure, you're probably busy so drop in now and then. We'll save a deck chair for you. :)

Did you ever ask why some of us post in BOLD?? I have eye problems and bold type is so much easier for me to read.

There are days when I have a very hard time reading some of the posts.

You didn't seem to have any problems reading my post, even though it was regular size.

As another poster suggested, try changing the default font size in your web browser (Ctrl-Scroll wheel) or the default font size in your operating system. That way YOU get to see everything big, and we don't have to listen to you yelling. :)

As another poster suggested, try changing the default font size in your web browser (Ctrl-Scroll wheel) or the default font size in your operating system. That way YOU get to see everything big, and we don't have to listen to you yelling. :)

Bold isn't yelling, all-caps are yelling. And, it's "read" her yelling, not "listen."

My biggest pet peeve is when people reply to the thread and use the Quote button to post the OP original review of a very long post. What a waste of space. (I know its just me, but still).

I do feel it's nice to thank the OP if they Wright a very good review. After all they did take the time.

I love CC and read it every day. I really need it to get through the day. So much fun to read.

And the HAL board is the best.

You didn't seem to have any problems reading my post, even though it was regular size.

Everything was changed in my system -- months ago.

I am not yelling.

Cheated -- used a magnifing glass -- which I do on a lot of threads.

Everything was changed in my system -- months ago.

I am not yelling.

Cheated -- used a magnifing glass -- which I do on a lot of threads.

If everything was changed on your system, why would you need a magnifying glass to read posts?

Honestly, regardless of your insistence on posting in all-bold, you should massage your computer into working for you -- not the other way around. There are features in every operating system that are designed to help people who have a hard time seeing small print. You could set your monitor to 800 x 600, everything would be huge! (Your all bold posts would be extra-huge!) No more getting out the magnifying glass to read my pedantic ramblings... you'd be able to recognize them right off, and skip 'em! :)

As I said -- I have eye problems.

Settings are just right for me -- right now.

I used to type "smaller" (and still used bold) -- but the last few days have been really bad. I have typed smaller on many posts - but found that I was making too many mistakes. Doing the "quick reply" box right now is out for me. I used to use it all the time.

Also I work most of the time on my 19 inch monitor.

As I said -- I have eye problems.

Settings are just right for me -- right now.

I used to type "smaller" (and still used bold) -- but the last few days have been really bad. I have typed smaller on many posts - but found that I was making too many mistakes. Doing the "quick reply" box right now is out for me. I used to use it all the time.

Also I work most of the time on my 19 inch monitor.

You're missing the point (but I'm tired of arguing), in that making your text bigger doesn't make everyone else's text any easier to read, it just makes your text bigger. There are easy, simple solutions built into your computer that would make everything from the "Start" button (I'm assuming you're using Windows) to websites big enough for you to read easily, even from a distance!

With my windows computer, it is as easy as holding down the control key and turning the scroll wheel. I am sure the tech guys know other ways.

Awed...... Help.

What's a 'scroll wheel'. I use a laptop and have no clue what you mean. Thanks.

What's a 'scroll wheel'. I use a laptop and have no clue what you mean. Thanks.

I'm not AWED ... but a scroll wheel is found on the top of many computer mouses. It allows the user to scroll up or down the window by rotating the wheel with the fingertip instead of having to click the up/down arrows and bar over on the far right side of the window. It's extremely useful.

(I know "mice" is the plural of "mouse." But using "mice" just didn't feel right!) ;)

Look on top of your mouse! What do you see?

Mine has ink stains and smudges...if it's my computer mouse of which you speak. :rolleyes:

Seriously, mice come in a variety of flavors;

qotd631-led-mice-3.jpg

best-computer-mouse-the-horse-handshoemouse.JPG

LImage.aspx?i=1627&t=1

The last example has a scroll wheel in the center which is used to "scroll up/down" on a web or other page.

Archived