What's a good book to read while on a cruise??....

gator2700

Probably not for everyone, but I'm planning to bring:

Banker To The Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty by Dr. Muhammad Yunus (founder of the Grameen Bank who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006)

I Loooove Sedaris, but would be cautious reading him in public. You will laugh out loud- and often!

Sedaris is much better in audio book form. His delivery is spot on.

I had an aquantiance that went to his readings and the book singing.

He said "I was reading your book and laughing, then I started coughing..and laughing..then I threw up"

Sedaris signed his book. "You make me throw up too".

I also second "Skinney Dip" for cruise book....get a audio book version and pod it up for bed time stories. Sedaris is best for that..as his audio are short essays..and great in audio format.

• 9 years later...
Probably not for everyone, but I'm planning to bring:

Banker To The Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty by Dr. Muhammad Yunus (founder of the Grameen Bank who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006)

Sorry, you are right, not for everyone. Sounds exhausting.

The Lacuna - very expertly crafted, first person who initially mixed the plaster “just right” for Diego Rivera’s frescos, became close friends with Freda Kalo, wound up as secretary for Trotsky by default when Trotsky was given asylum by Diego Rivera, Came to Asheville to administrate art museum, and much more. I didn’t get a thing done until I finished!

I like biographies and such. Not really into the romance novels. I do like mysteries too. Any suggestions? I'm going on a 7 day cruise with a forcast of rain, so I'll need to occupy my time with a book that will hold my interest for a while. :) Thanks

On our last cruise I finished Phillipa Gregory's "The White Queen" and started reading "The Red Queen". I have an e-reader that holds close to 1,000 books so I've always got something to read. On our Spring Break cruise last year, I read "A Dog's Purpose" and "The Autobiography of James T. Kirk".

David Baldacci ….best plotter in the mystery/thriller market. Dean Koontz Like his Jane Hawk books. but some of his stuff is horror. Don't read that.

Mike Lawson ( His detective is Joe Demarco. Works for the Speaker of the House as a fixer.) I read all of them They are fast paced, likable characters, witty.

C. J. Box and his mystery/thriller/fiction books about a Wyoming game keeper. Beautiful writing

At age 71..the entire Harry Poller series. LOVED them

Best books written imho? The Number One Ladies Detective Series. Written by Alexander McCall Smith,

They are funny. Sad. beautifully written. Makes you want to go to Botswana, and have bush tea with Precious on the veranda of the Hotel. Watch the fly away birds in the thorn trees. Those books had an HBO series filmed about the. And they have won every award imaginable,

And..some "Kid's" books are Good. "A Wrinkle in Time" " Up a Road slowly"

Science Fiction? S.M Sterling's Ember verse series. First book is "Dies the Fire" Warning they are highly addictive. And if you have never read the Lord of the Rings series, this would be a good time to start.

I was all ready to post about a favorite author, I just discovered, when I noticed this is a Very Old thread. I doubt the OP has any interest what so ever in it, any longer.

Good questions, like good wine, do not have expiration dates . If you are interested in well-written histories, Alison Weir has written biographies of prominent women (queens, etc.) in medieval and Renaissance England — from Eleanor of Acquitaine to Elizabeth I.

I like biographies and such. Not really into the romance novels. I do like mysteries too. Any suggestions? I'm going on a 7 day cruise with a forcast of rain, so I'll need to occupy my time with a book that will hold my interest for a while. :) Thanks

Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain. Just comparing his cruise to the modern day is great.

OMG--this is the funniest book ever written--for women,that is! Youwill read this book and sit and chuckle out loud! Guys just can't appreciate this "female" humor. Ladies--read this to find out about the greatest chocolate dessert ever made and what you can say to a man to get him to do anything you want!!!

OK, guys and ladies----anything by Nelson DeMille or Stuart Woods or Harlen Coben is a great read.

But, for a cruise---it has to be Florida writer Carl Hiassen's

"Skinny Dip"----about a man who throws his wife overboard and she floats ashore on a...........oh, you just have to read this for yourself.

"Skin Deep" by Carl Hiassen is another great one.

Great choices.

While this is still a good thread to resurrect (2009), if you are quoting a post from back then, they probably have taken their cruise and may not respond to you.

And I would bet that some of the books mentioned, you can get them really cheap now.

Edited by crzndeb

Are you looking for actual books or Kindle or Nook? I'd recommend John Sandford Prey Series ... they are terrific and plenty of them to keep you rolling once you start.

Are you looking for actual books or Kindle or Nook? I'd recommend John Sandford Prey Series ... they are terrific and plenty of them to keep you rolling once you start.

Please read my post ahead of yours...the OP made this thread in 2009