HAL and Facebook

Colakid

Not really, Sail, although I did see a program on TV recently warning people that a future employer can go on facebook and see what you've been up to; like complaining about too much work, etc. I warned my daughter in law about it. There are settings on your page which allow only the people you invite as your"friends" to view your writings. They ask to be your friend or you invite them to be your friend. However, if you join a group, that might be a whole other kettle of fish. I don't know how that works. I would guess that anyone in the group can see what you write, same as on CC. I believe you really have to be careful about how much personal info you put up on any of these sites.

Off topic. I'm trying to find a store that stocks the Acer netbook so I can try it out. Any luck?

Thanks, Carol. I think I'll pass on the Facebook thing. I seem to hear all the time on the news that people are being caught for who knows what from their facebook pages.

Acer..... Yah, frustrating. I've been all over. Best Buy only has the 3 cell battery model. I was in a Staples the other day and they only offer 3 cell model and there is a wait list for it. But I doubt those will ever be accomodated.

One of the techs there told me the new model is due out in March and he suspects there is little supply (only leftovers) from the current model. I had hoped to get mine before we go to Eurodam but unless I stumble on one and get lucky, I'll just wait until the new model comes out.

Perhaps I'll put my name on a wait list in advance so I'll get one of the first ones they offer. :)

Marlene I believe this is what the OP is talking about

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/pages/Holland-America-Line/42926793405?ref=s

And YES I am already a FAN

But there is also this one that you are part of Marlene ;)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Holland-America-Line/42926793405?ref=s#/group.php?gid=9912028377&ref=ts

Donna, here these links work, the first one is the Official one from Holland America:)

OK, I admit I'm a middle-aged Luddite, but I really don't "get" this Facebook thing. After dealing with kids, dog, and husband, it's all I can do just to keep up with Cruise Critic:). I do, however, appreciate HAL's efforts to be technologically savvy and culturally connected. It's a smart PR move.

Thanks, Carol. I think I'll pass on the Facebook thing. I seem to hear all the time on the news that people are being caught for who knows what from their facebook pages.

Acer..... Yah, frustrating. I've been all over. Best Buy only has the 3 cell battery model. I was in a Staples the other day and they only offer 3 cell model and there is a wait list for it. But I doubt those will ever be accomodated.

One of the techs there told me the new model is due out in March and he suspects there is little supply (only leftovers) from the current model. I had hoped to get mine before we go to Eurodam but unless I stumble on one and get lucky, I'll just wait until the new model comes out.

Perhaps I'll put my name on a wait list in advance so I'll get one of the first ones they offer. :)

Sail, I will say you can make it is private as you want on facebook. Also somone asked if you joined group could everyone see info about you. The answer is NO, not unless they area friend of yours that you have excepted

Judy, I've found one at Costco and am going to look at it this afternoon. I don't know if it's the 3 or 6 cell but I just want to try the keyboard. I'll report back later.

My Costco has the 3 cell. I love the feel of the keyboard. It works for me just fine but I know it is not suitable for everyone.

Please let me know if your Costco has the 6 cell.

Good luck.

If we're already on CC, what benefit is there to being on facebook too?

Well, for one thing... if you're following Bill & Mary Ann's excellent thread on the World Voyage, HAL's Facebook page has what looks like it's going to be a occasional 'travel article'? on the cruise.

Photos and lots of information that help bring to life Bill & Mary Ann's wonderful commentary.

Judy, I've found one at Costco and am going to look at it this afternoon. I don't know if it's the 3 or 6 cell but I just want to try the keyboard. I'll report back later.

Carol.... I just ordered a blue Acer from Amazon. Should be here within 5 days. :) I was happy to see they had the six cell, no shipping costs and I saved the sales tax. All good!

Hmm, Thanks Cow Princess. You make it sound like 'maybe' :D I might go have a look. As you navigate through it, hope it's enjoyable for you. Goodness knows, loads of folks are really into it. ;)

Facebook gets quite addicting. You can set your security features so that only people you accept as friends can see your information and look at your pictures. List yourself with your maiden name just before your married name so that old friends can find you. You can have a lot of fun with Facebook. It's not just for kids anymore.

You can send private messages to each other on the email feature.

And you can talk with CC friends about things that are off topic as opposed to saying something here that is not cruise related.:) You can do or be as active as you like on Facebook. You are totally correct it as become extremely addictive :D

So good to know you're back to doing the things you enjoy, Jim. You went through a nasty experience, for sure. Hope you continue to get better and better.

I'm looking foward to bringing my little Acer on our Eurodam cruise. :) (Our make up cruise for not being able to cruise on her last July. )

Nice! My son-in-law got me one after my fall and my DW and I both love using it so much. In fact, I'm using it right now out on our patio while enjoying a warm, sunny afternoon.

Argh. We're having a cold spell here in the desert and it's only 70. Brrr!

(Amazing what just one year with 114 days of 100+ degree weather will do to your system...) :p

Facebook gets quite addicting. You can set your security features so that only people you accept as friends can see your information and look at your pictures. List yourself with your maiden name just before your married name so that old friends can find you. You can have a lot of fun with Facebook. It's not just for kids anymore.

I'm going to show my stupidity here, but is it possible to change your listed name? I should have put my maiden name before my married name and didn't. :( Is it too late or can I change it? Help, I know nothing about it! :eek:

Greetings All,

I actually started the other Holland America Line Facebook page. In fact it was up and running before HAL, maybe that's what inspired them..

Here's the link to my Holland America Fan page, please come by and post your photos, videos and thoughts about your favorite voyages past or upcoming.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Holland-America-Line/42926793405?ref=s#/pages/Holland-America-Line/30711457752?sid=089b96cb42a1c9d8e000055b0e2f1576&ref=s

Jonathan

Cruising-along, yes, it is possible. I did the exact same thing las week when I realized that none of my old friends would recognize me by my married name. Just go into your profile settings in the blue bar at the top, click on account settings and next to your name click on change.

Archived