HAL's New "Showroom At Sea"

Krazy Kruizers

Holland America Line's New “Showroom at Sea” Debuts with Innovative Musical Repertory Company

New Venue Raises Bar for Cruise Line Entertainment

Seattle, WA, March 16, 2009 - Holland America Line will introduce a new concept in shipboard entertainment with its first “Showroom at Sea” in May, 2009. An innovative musical repertory company consisting of seasoned Broadway performers will be the centerpiece of an exciting new entertainment lineup. Created in partnership with Stiletto Entertainment, producers of Emmy award winning TV shows and concert tours, the new programming debuts on the Veendam in May as part of Holland America Line’s Signature of Excellence enhancements.

The Showroom at Sea, a modern-day take on the classic nightclub, will feature state of the art technology and a different show and themed environment nightly. Comprised of cast members with credits such as Les Miserables and Rent on Broadway, National Tours of Mamma Mia and performances with the Tokyo Philharmonic, the shows include “Street Singin’,” “Encore,” “Live from the Stardust Lounge,” and “Bob Mackie’s Broadway.”

“We are always seeking to deliver increasingly innovative entertainment for our guests,” said Richard D. Meadows, CTC, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs. “Guests will be wowed by this fresh approach to entertainment and the complete transformation of the showroom.”

The Showroom at Sea is a completely redesigned main stage that features a seamless transition between the room and the stage, with all new seating and an enlarged dance floor enabling guests to combine cocktails, dancing and a show. A new sound system, enhanced lighting, and state of the art video projections transport guests into diverse environments as scenery and décor leap off the stage and into the seats. Each evening features unique drink menus and table settings.

The room showcases non-stop variety as a different combination of the repertory company and musicians perform each night. From four vocalists singing pop/rock on the street corner, to two classical vocalists backed by a lavish 14-piece orchestra, to an evening at a fictitious Vegas nightclub hosted by the resident comedian, each night reveals an exciting new production.

For additional information, consult a professional travel agent, call 1-877-SAIL HAL (877-724-5425) or visit www.hollandamerica.com.

sounds like different words for the same old stuff!

Oh I hope that you are wrong in your assumption. I would love to go to an interesting show but I'm afraid that I usually skip the shows - they are just not that entertaining, and I have to echo (no pun intended) Ruth's remark that the shows can be deafening at times.

You and I Sir PMP will be on the same cruise, I believe, in January of 2010 - maybe we will get lucky as far as new and entertaining shows go.

Valerie:)

"Bob Mackie's Broadway"?

What show is this - the musical story of a dress designer who's known for his work in countless films and television shows trying to come up with costumes for two Broadway shows?

:confused:

Oh I hope that you are wrong in your assumption. I would love to go to an interesting show but I'm afraid that I usually skip the shows - they are just not that entertaining, and I have to echo (no pun intended) Ruth's remark that the shows can be deafening at times.

You and I Sir PMP will be on the same cruise, I believe, in January of 2010 - maybe we will get lucky as far as new and entertaining shows go.

Valerie:)

Yes, baby, Jan 4, I'll be on it, so we'll see what will happen...;)

A girl could get interested. Hope the sound system will be set to something less than deafening, though. ;)

Ruth,

Why, oh why hasn't Seattle gotten the idea that they should hire you and make you in charge of something ?? :rolleyes:

Do they at least call you and ask BEFORE they make any changes ??? :confused:

They could same themselves sooooooo much grief ! ;)

r.

My son works for the company that is installing this new concept. He's very enthused about it. They have built stuff for other cruise lines but this is their first for HAL. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Ruth, I'm with you on the loudness thing. It takes a really talented sound designer to provide sound that is clearly audible. Just increasing the decibels doesn't improve anything.

GREAT! It's about time. I hope it works and I can't wait to see it.

On the other hand, I'll have to see it to believe it!

HAL has needed to take a new look at those lounge shows for a long time.

I like the part about the "all new seating." I hope that means they will get rid of those straight-backed chairs on the main floor in the show lounges. I don't like to sit on them and don't like it when someone tall sits on them in front of me and blocks my view. I hope it really means "new" seating....and not just new chairs and couches.

I'm leery about the "projections". Sounds to me like it will be more canned stuff and less live.

But I would be sincerely happy if they design some shows that don't shine lights into my eyes!

I got very tired of the smoke machine every night too. It got to be laughable.

Archived