Wild Supposition re: New HAL Logo?

HALFans

Is Holland America preparing for a New Logo?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Is Holland America preparing for a New Logo?

• YES - they're dumping old stock to make way for new
    • NO - It's simply cost cutting - generics are cheaper than logo items
    • I don't know - I like the old logo and hope they keep it
    • I don't know - and I don't care!

Here's an idle speculation after pondering some of the changes on items that used to be Logo'ed, like Dinner Napkins, Swizzle Sticks, Beach Towels, Pillow Chocolates, etc. that are no longer logo'ed.

Just wanted to get an idea from the rest of the CC Holland America posters to see what they though...

Here's an idle speculation after pondering some of the changes on items that used to be Logo'ed, like Dinner Napkins, Swizzle Sticks, Beach Towels, Pillow Chocolates, etc. that are no longer logo'ed.

Just wanted to get an idea from the rest of the CC Holland America posters to see what they though...

Not voting in the poll, but if it's any indication, within the last year to year and a half, at the HQ we have installed a sign on the exterior with the traditional logo and company name, and when you enter in on the first floor, the traditional logo is straight ahead of you, VERY much larger than life.

Additionally, 2010 brochures that have yet to be printed show the traditional logo.

Finally, if a new logo were selected, it would likely go on the stacks. Noordam just left dry dock Friday. It doesn't make sense to have not done it during this period.

Funny, just last week on Eurodam, I commented to DH that lunch size paper napkins no longer have my favorite Logo but cocktail napkins do. Cocktail stir sticks and hors d'ouerve picks have the Logo as do the pillow chocolates left for us each evening. :)

Don't mess with that fabulous Logo!!! :D That could really get me in a snit@!#$%$#

This is just my opinion but I think you happen to hit an off week of when supplies were to get placed on board and possibly did not get on. Also this time of year I have found that stock in the shops and things tend to be down because they are getting ready to restock for Change of itinernary such as the Ryndam heading to Alaska very soon and Eurodam heading to Europe. And while that has nothing to to do with Logo things it is general ordering of supplies. Items can and do run out and rather than tell passengers sorry no chocolates (and give Ruth a heart attack ;)) or skip on napkins they most likely have generic supply for back up.

It is a great logo. No reason to change it. If HAL ran low or decided not to put it on swizzle sticks or napkins it is okay by me. If there is going to be cost savings this is better than lowering training standards for the staff. Or cutting them back so severly they cannot provide good service.

If they ever decided to update the logo I hope they keep the feel of the original.

The new pillow chocolates only come in semi-sweet. That's why I don't like them. no HAL logos on them, swizzle sticks, napkins, beach towels, Hors d'Oeuvres mini flags, bathroom floor mats, mini note pads by the phone, etc., etc. Sorry, not going to bother me, will sleep fine; plus, too busy looking for big game violators!;)

I noticed on one ship (think it was Oosterdam ... ) the bar napkins where the generic variety - white with no logo.

The reason was they ran out of the originals, and had to take what the supplier gave them. So I doubt if getting rid of the HAL company logo is in the works.

(And if you can't trust DBA, who can you trust? ;) )

I guess we had 'old' chocolates on Eurodam the last two weeks as ours certainly had the Logo! ;)

:eek: The newest ship is handing out old pillow chocolates?!! :eek:

The flagged toothpicks have been gone for a while. I was sad when they switched from the Orange Flag to the blue and white on the picks and now they have no flag at all. :(

Cocktail napkins definitley had Logo; napkins at Burger bar had no Logo.

Don't get too excited about logo changes.

Printing customized logos on anything is expensive. A great way to cut costs without really cutting back too much is to use generic toothpicks, cocktail napkins, drinking straws, pillow chocolates, and a host of other items.

There is another consideration that passengers rarely think about. When a ship separates it's waste (especially food waste) for processing, one of our biggest challenges is the small number of butter wraps, toothpicks, cocktail napkins, drinking straws, and pillow chocolate wraps that remain in the food waste and sewer system streams.

Somehow, eventually, some of those items - with the Cruise Line's Logo prominently displayed - end up on a beach or in a canal or harbour somewhere. The Cruise Lines are extremely sensitive about this type of negative publicity. They would prefer that if you are going to see any garbage floating around, you do not see a cruise line's name printed brightly (and expensively) on that garbage.

Items can and do run out and rather than tell passengers sorry no chocolates (and give Ruth a heart attack ;)) or skip on napkins they most likely have generic supply for back up.

Such consideration for my poor heart! Hey, whatever reason that keeps those chocolates coming, works for me. ;)

Don't get too excited about logo changes.

Printing customized logos on anything is expensive. A great way to cut costs without really cutting back too much is to use generic toothpicks, cocktail napkins, drinking straws, pillow chocolates, and a host of other items.

There is another consideration that passengers rarely think about. When a ship separates it's waste (especially food waste) for processing, one of our biggest challenges is the small number of butter wraps, toothpicks, cocktail napkins, drinking straws, and pillow chocolate wraps that remain in the food waste and sewer system streams.

Somehow, eventually, some of those items - with the Cruise Line's Logo prominently displayed - end up on a beach or in a canal or harbour somewhere. The Cruise Lines are extremely sensitive about this type of negative publicity. They would prefer that if you are going to see any garbage floating around, you do not see a cruise line's name printed brightly (and expensively) on that garbage.

Actually, according to the Culinary Operations Manager aboard the Statendam, just a few weeks ago now, almost everything in the way of waste is incinerated. We never thought to ask about the butter or chocolate wraps but I would imagine that they too could be incinerated so the chances of a HAL logo ending up on a beach or in a canal or a harbour* seem slim at best.

Valerie

*p.s. love your "British" spelling by the way since I am a former "Brit";),

Who knows? I agree with Lisa. Maybe they just ran out. Than in this economy maybe the supplier went bankrupt and are waiting for our April 15 taxes; so they can be saved!

A no logo swizzle stick is not going to ruin my cruise. After two Wang Wang's who cares!!!!

HAL logo clearly is meaningful to me :) but it's funny how I notice logo's at other places we frequent.

I noticed recently during our stay at Hyatt Pier 66 in FLL they had few, if any, logo items but at Four Seasons the notepads and pens and bathroom toilet articles etc catch my eye as having their logo.

I notice those things and like it.

Doesn't wreck my stay if it's lacking but I prefer to see logo than not. ;)

To not see logo items on HAL would absolutely be a big disappointment to me. I can never see enough of it.

More, not less is what I say. :D

Actually, according to the Culinary Operations Manager aboard the Statendam, just a few weeks ago now, almost everything in the way of waste is incinerated. We never thought to ask about the butter or chocolate wraps but I would imagine that they too could be incinerated so the chances of a HAL logo ending up on a beach or in a canal or a harbour* seem slim at best.

Valerie

*p.s. love your "British" spelling by the way since I am a former "Brit";),

Valerie,

The fellow on the Statendam was correct, but perhaps his explanation could have been more precise. Almost everything in the way of waste is SUPPOSED TO BE incinerated. And most of it is.

But when you have children and adults throwing all sorts of things off their balconies, wind blowing just about every bit of paper and plastic near the pools overboard, waiters mixing butter wraps, toothpicks, and drinking straws with food scraped from plates, drink napkins and straws from the beach bar at the private island blowing into the water, and many passengers flushing unimaginable things down their toilets, finding floating garbage with Cruise Line logos is inevitable and unavoidable.

Better, safer (from the PR point of view), and far less costly to go the generic route with these items.

Archived