On Quest NOW May 1 to May 16

Jancruz

Hi All,

I have been trying to sign on for a couple of days and finally got a hold of someone at CC that helped me!

I will quickly go through the first couple of days..

Leaving from Palm Springs airport is always an experience..we did get our luggage checked all the way to Athens but the plane we were on had 2 props with jet assist..about 30 passengers

Arrived at LAX for a 2 hour layover and ran into a demonstration of health care benefits for airport personnel, fought our way around about 200 people to get to the International terminal

Our Luftansa flight to Frankfurt in Business Class was absolutely outstanding..the food and seats are some of the best we have ever had..conversley the flight to Athens from Franfurt was awful..small seats and disgusting food..

I also suggest if you can avoid Franfurt airport do so..it is huge and very difficult to get around!!

Arrived at the Athens Hotel, at 6:30 pm taken there by George who was waiting for us at the airport..(he always makes our life so much easier in Athens) and in my opinion is the best guide!

We were really tired so went right to bed and to sleep and woke to the most perfect day..75 degrees and sunny..after a wonderful hotel breakfast we went to a walk in the Plaka and wandered there for several hours..running into a May day demonstration..I had a wonderful Greek Salad for lunch at a local Plaka restaurant and it was time to go back to the hotel to meet George and on to the ship!

Boarding Azamara is always so easy..it was about 2:30 pm and very few were in line so after 5 minutes we were on board and being handed a glass of champagne..Usually at this time I would dash off to the library to get some books but this trip I have my kindle which is absolutely fabulous..its like an Amex Card..dont leave home without it!!

1st day we were in Chios (pronounced KIOS) and the midevil villages on the tour were wonderful and the tour was very worth while!! (not much around the port area) still a little tired so had room service for dinner..this could get to be a habit!!

2nd day was at sea and beautiful out..we did a lot of reading and relaxing on our balcony..Had dinner in Aqualina which was outstanding!! I had a filet and Stu a veal chop both were the BEST!!

Yesterday we docked in Istanbul for the 1st of a day and a half here..It is the first time we have been here while it is cold..about 60 and overcast before we have always found it pleasantly warm..I am so glad I wore a jacket and brought jeans!! Since we have been here in the city several times we walked for a couple of hours and then took a bus around the city..

Last night we took the Cabaret dinner tour..to tell the truth I was not to thrilled when we decided to do this tour but wanted to see Istanbul at night..well we were so surprised..of all the dinners we have ever gone to off the ship this was the best dinner and show, there were 4 or 5 acts and wonderful belly dancers and it went on for about 2 hours..well worth seeing!! I would say a dont miss experience!!

We got back to the ship at about midnight and just got up and had breakfast in our stateroom..the breakfast's on this ship are outstanding!!

I had steak and eggs and the steak could have been served for dinner it was so large and tender..

Tonight is the CC party so I am sure I will have much to report tomorrow..

off now to wander a little before we leave Istanbul

Please dont hesitate to as any questions while I am on board

Regards,

Jancruz1

you should have a great cruise Jan I just got home and unpacked from the cruise to Athens the crew is great the captain is seen everywhere on board, Stephane the cellar master has some great wine tasting events, if you like wine, Sue the cruise director and Jean Micheal are great. had to awake at 6am to catch them on the tv with the day ahead's programs. we had a great trip so will you ;)

Hi Jan !

Thank you for your update. I look forward to your next update. Have a wonderful time onboard Quest !

Thanks so much for your wonderful reviews and information. I will be on Quest in November, going to some of the same ports.

Was your Cabaret dinner tour in istanbul an Azamara excursion? I want to do something for our evening there.

Jan

Thanks for the news of Quest - she has become our favourite since our Asia trip and we will be doing the Black Sea on her in August so are very interested also in your port reports as we overlap several. Chios info was helpful as we had planned to just walk around the port that day but from what I am reading maybe we would not find a lot to do (though we will still be recovering from a hectic time pre cruise)

Who are the officers on board just now (though I think there will be some changes before August)

Look forward to hearing all about your cruise Jan. We are going to Italy in June. Please can you tell me if the library is now open - I understand it was closed earlier in the year. Thank you.

Thank you for posting your review so far. We will be on the Journey Holyland cruise Nov. 8th. Wanted to know if your tour to Chios was a ship tour or private tour. If it was a ship tour, which one was it? Keep us informed please. Enjoyed reading your review so far. We are looking to still find a tour guide in Israel. Let us know who you used and if you were pleased.

Thank you very much.

Ellen:)

Jan, thank you for giving us the opportunity to ask questions. I was wondering if you were able to ask or check this for us. In the past on Celebrity cruises we have taken travellers cheques in Euro denominations and cashed them at the bank on the ships. Since the travellers cheques were already in Euro the bank just exchanged them for Euro money. We are travelling again this summer to Europe on the Quest and would like to take Euro travellers cheques and just cash them as we need them on the ship. I realize this may not be the best way but we won't have to worry about daily limits at ATM machines or finding machines along the way.

I was hoping that you would post while on your trip. Thank you again and if you want to wait till you get back home to post the answer that is okay with us.

Faye and Jack D.

Hi All,

Our Luftansa flight to Frankfurt in Business Class was absolutely outstanding..the food and seats are some of the best we have ever had..conversley the flight to Athens from Franfurt was awful..small seats and disgusting food..

I also suggest if you can avoid Franfurt airport do so..it is huge and very difficult to get around!!

Thanks for the post.

I can't tell you how I have tried to get out the message about Frankfurt in the "Cruise Air" posts...to some serious flaming. It is a difficult airport but if you have at least 2 hours connection time you won't feel panicked, you will have time for a cup of coffee to settle your nerves and your bags will accompany you to your ongoing flight. How long was your connection?

Business class in Europe is generally not worth it unless you have long flights and connections, then it is worth the money if for the lounges alone. Overseas, that airline is one of the best.

Do you think you need to a tour in Chios or can you explore on your own would you say?

Smooth sailing to you....

I am trying to answer each question:

Hi Jan...Everything sounds wonderful aboard the ship. Just wondering if the ship has a full passenger roster. My cruise in August doesn't look like it's filling up at all. Have a great time!!!

We have over 600 passengers on board..I was surprised there are so many!!

I can't tell you how I have tried to get out the message about Frankfurt in the "Cruise Air" posts...to some serious flaming. It is a difficult airport but if you have at least 2 hours connection time you won't feel panicked, you will have time for a cup of coffee to settle your nerves and your bags will accompany you to your ongoing flight. How long was your connection?

"Our connection was 3 hours but I was not feeling great and trying to get a wheel chair took over 1 hour.."

Business class in Europe is generally not worth it unless you have long flights and connections, then it is worth the money if for the lounges alone. Overseas, that airline is one of the best.

"We flew for 10 hours from LA to Frankfurt and really needed BC.."

Do you think you need to a tour in Chios or can you explore on your own would you say?

"You can walk around on yourr own but this is one place I suggest a tour..there is nothing but restaurants on the main streets"

Thank you for posting your review so far. We will be on the Journey Holyland cruise Nov. 8th. Wanted to know if your tour to Chios was a ship tour or private tour. If it was a ship tour, which one was it? Keep us informed please. Enjoyed reading your review so far. We are looking to still find a tour guide in Israel. Let us know who you used and if you were pleased.

Thank you very much.

"

Again..ships tour in Chios I will let you know when I get to Israel if I like the guide.."

Looking forward to your further reports! Doesn't the Kindle change the way you pack and cruise? Such a difference!

"The kindle is a most amazing invention.."

Was your Cabaret dinner tour in istanbul an Azamara excursion? I want to do something for our evening there.

"Our Cabaret was a ships tour..$75 per person and I thought it was a great deal..I would do it again"

"Jack, I will have to check on the Euro situation..we have been using USD in all ports with no problem!"

The Library is not only open I was surprised at the great selection of Fiction..a lot of new books I had just put on my kindle!!

Hi all,

Last night was an amazing cruise critic party from 5-6pm in Looking Glass..there was a receiving line with the Captain, Nyazi (GM) Guest services rep, and Sue Demming cruise director.

We had about 50 people there and it was crowded

The assortment of appetizers was wonderful all cold but delicious and they kept coming they were serving complimentary red,white and Rose wine and champagne it also kept coming..

Everyone in the staff introduced themselves again and Sue had all of the cruise critic members stand and give their email addresses..it was fun putting the names with the faces..coincidentally at the same time we ran into a school of Dolphins and of course the Captain took credit..!!

We had dinner with 2 other couples back in Aqualina and again the food was outstanding..I had duck and Stu had Cod and both were wonderful..

We didnt finish dinner until 10pm so we did not go to the show..we will tonight as it is a jazz horn player and Stu loves Jazz..

We are in Kusadasi today and since we have been here many times before we just walked around met old friends from some of the stores..we love the people here they are so friendly and their main concern is our economy because people are not buying here when they get off the ships..

The weather is 74 and sunny what a beautiful day..we had lunch at our favorite outdoor restaurant and sat enjoyed the food and people watched..

I bought a genuine fake Bulgari watch and it is now 4 hours and still running..I guess I have my moneys worth!!

It is now 4:30pm and we just got back from walking since 11am..so time to grab the kindle and sit by the pool..I am so glad it warmed up..It is time to wear something other than a sweater..

Keep the questions coming..more tomorrow!

Jancruz1

Hi Jan,

Really enjoying your posts. We're cruising on Quest in July to the Black Sea. Can you provide your thoughts on which cities warrant ship-sponsored shore excursions (and which particular excursions in those ports) vs. hiring a cab for the day or wandering around the port on our own? Here are the cities we will be visiting: Ephesus; Chios; Istanbul; Sinop; Yalta; Sevastopol; Odessa; and Varna.

Any information would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

jak4095

Hi Jan!

Thanks for your LIVE posts - we were on the Quest in February (Asia) and are going back in November (Turkey, Egypt)!

What tour did you take in Chios?

How was the food during your Cabaret night in Istanbul?

I look forward to read the rest of your posts!!

MC

Hi Jan,

Enjoying your posts & reliving some wonderful memories of our Ancient Empires cruise last fall - thank you.:)

To those who have asked about Chios...just thought I would mention that we had a really enjoyable day of exploring there in a rental car. We used Chandras (booked in advance); they brought the car to the ship in the morning, and we dropped it off at the same place at the end of the day. This is a port where you'll want to explore either via a ship's tour, a taxi (which a number of people did), or with rental car, rather than just spending time in town.

I might respectfully disagree a little bit there, Susan. We were in Chios last September on the Journey and had a very nice morning/early afternoon just wandering around the old town, looking at the architecture and people watching. We had flown into Athens the day before and it made a nice way to time adapt.

Depends on what interests you, but we found it interesting and the people quite friendly.

Hi Jan,

Really enjoying your posts. We're cruising on Quest in July to the Black Sea. Can you provide your thoughts on which cities warrant ship-sponsored shore excursions (and which particular excursions in those ports) vs. hiring a cab for the day or wandering around the port on our own? Here are the cities we will be visiting: Ephesus; Chios; Istanbul; Sinop; Yalta; Sevastopol; Odessa; and Varna.

Any information would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

jak4095

You might want to start a separate thread on this. The short answer is that you can walk around Odessa on your own, or Sevastopol for that matter, but those two, plus Yalta, are probably best served by a tour, if you want to get the most out of your day.

I might respectfully disagree a little bit there, Susan. We were in Chios last September on the Journey and had a very nice morning/early afternoon just wandering around the old town, looking at the architecture and people watching. We had flown into Athens the day before and it made a nice way to time adapt.

Depends on what interests you, but we found it interesting and the people quite friendly.

Hi Ed,

I guess I didn't word my previous comment very well and didn't mean to imply that the town of Chios wasn't interesting. I should have added that the reason for wanting to see more than Chios town itself was that the island is very scenic with interesting places to visit (such as the Mastic Villages & Nea Moni).

We explored Chios town on foot after returning from our day of sightseeing, and agree with you that the town is an enjoyable place to wander.

Hi Jan, glad to hear you're having a great time. Just a quick question: Will Niyazi still be the GM when we sail on June 14?

Niyazi leaves the ship (as of now) on May 30 and will be back the end of July maybe on Journey..

I asked Niyazi about changing travelers checks into Euros and he said no problem..

jak4095, Wendy is correct..I will be happy to talk to you about the ports I have visited but even tho I have been to all the ports you are interested in, you deserve a thread for those othe Black Sea ports!

Ephuseus, and Istanbul definitely must have a tour..Chios depending on what you want to do..taxi is ok..

Last night the Jazz show was just so-so..it would have been a lot better if Nate Collingsworth (on trumpet) would have played some of the great old classics instead of songs he has written (which no one knew!!)

Interesting day today..sea day..We received a notice that we all had to meet the Isreali immigration face to face so a schedule was set up for the whole ship..different decks at different times starting at 9am and ending at noon....the whole process went very smoothly and we have our passports back and are ready to go!!

Weather today absolutely gorgeous..sunny and about 75 degrees..very smooth sailing..

Tomorrow our 6 hour 8:15 am tour was changed to 1pm so we can get into the Alexandria library which is closed in the morning..Stu and I like to sleep in so we are fine with that!

Had dinner with Niyazi (Hotel Manager) and learned some interesting things..1st..I asked him why the coffee was so bad the first 2 days and the last 5 has been great and he said the machines were not working well and they changed brands..I am a coffee nut so I am very happy..I love my good cuppa in the am!!!

2nd we are speeding into Alexandria with a medical emergency on board and will now arrive at 4:00am

At our dinner table in addition to Niazi, was Erica from Cruise Critic and she is a very sweet and nice person..her friend Rachel is also delightful and they are both excellent dinner companions we were also with three couples from Holland who were also lots of fun!

I cant tell you how excellent the food is on board..I love the selections and Stu has said that every potato and piece of bread he has tasted is the best ever.. I had Sole for dinner and Stu had Osso Bucco in the dining room (taking advice of you wonderful people on CC) and both of us thought it was wonderful..

Today there was a poker tournament, Black Jack Tournament and many different activities..I am a reader so just spent the day with Harlan Cobens new book..

Thats it for today..keep the questions coming..

Regards,

Jancruz1

Jan

Glad things are so good and we look forward to seeing you in August.

Last year there was an Assistant Maitre d' from Bulgaria named George and I was wondering if he was still around and likely to be there later in year.

Brian

Archived