On Quest NOW May 1 to May 16

Jancruz

Jan-Did Israeli Immigration insist on stamping your passport or would they agree to stamping a paper insert? This is an important issue for international business travelers as some countries (mainly Arab) will not allow entry if one's passport has an Israeli stamp in it.

I believe you can request extra passport pages exactly for this purpose.

And then what? Tear them out (or tell the Arab officials not to look at extra pages)? I don't think so.

Business travelers to the area are allowed to have 2 passports (my brother had them while working for Motorola in Europe and traveling to both Israel & Arab countries frequently). Tourists may ask not to have their passports stamped.

Jan may give us the latest policy/procedures.

Jan-Did Israeli Immigration insist on stamping your passport or would they agree to stamping a paper insert? This is an important issue for international business travelers as some countries (mainly Arab) will not allow entry if one's passport has an Israeli stamp in it.

Israeli Immigration has a specific form which they will insert into your passport and then remove when you leave the country. They do not stamp your passport itself.

Niyazi leaves the ship (as of now) on May 30 and will be back the end of July maybe on Journey..

I asked Niyazi about changing travelers checks into Euros and he said no problem..

jak4095, Wendy is correct..I will be happy to talk to you about the ports I have visited but even tho I have been to all the ports you are interested in, you deserve a thread for those othe Black Sea ports!

Ephuseus, and Istanbul definitely must have a tour..Chios depending on what you want to do..taxi is ok..

Last night the Jazz show was just so-so..it would have been a lot better if Nate Collingsworth (on trumpet) would have played some of the great old classics instead of songs he has written (which no one knew!!)

Interesting day today..sea day..We received a notice that we all had to meet the Isreali immigration face to face so a schedule was set up for the whole ship..different decks at different times starting at 9am and ending at noon....the whole process went very smoothly and we have our passports back and are ready to go!!

Weather today absolutely gorgeous..sunny and about 75 degrees..very smooth sailing..

Tomorrow our 6 hour 8:15 am tour was changed to 1pm so we can get into the Alexandria library which is closed in the morning..Stu and I like to sleep in so we are fine with that!

Had dinner with Niyazi (Hotel Manager) and learned some interesting things..1st..I asked him why the coffee was so bad the first 2 days and the last 5 has been great and he said the machines were not working well and they changed brands..I am a coffee nut so I am very happy..I love my good cuppa in the am!!!

2nd we are speeding into Alexandria with a medical emergency on board and will now arrive at 4:00am

At our dinner table in addition to Niazi, was Erica from Cruise Critic and she is a very sweet and nice person..her friend Rachel is also delightful and they are both excellent dinner companions we were also with three couples from Holland who were also lots of fun!

I cant tell you how excellent the food is on board..I love the selections and Stu has said that every potato and piece of bread he has tasted is the best ever.. I had Sole for dinner and Stu had Osso Bucco in the dining room (taking advice of you wonderful people on CC) and both of us thought it was wonderful..

Today there was a poker tournament, Black Jack Tournament and many different activities..I am a reader so just spent the day with Harlan Cobens new book..

Thats it for today..keep the questions coming..

Regards,

Jancruz1

Please request that they get the coffee machines working before we arrive on the 16th!! I am a coffee freak, they didnt work last year on the Quest and I was very deprived!!:(

Jan

Glad things are so good and we look forward to seeing you in August.

Last year there was an Assistant Maitre d' from Bulgaria named George and I was wondering if he was still around and likely to be there later in year.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I havent met George but will check around..I am having such a great time..I wish I could stay!!

Isreali stamp was on a completely different piece of paper..kind of like a bookmark!

Yesterday was a perfect day..

Our Landmark of Alexandria tour was moved from 8:am to 1pm which we loved..met at the pier at 12:45 and started the tour..it was really wonderful..(although we have had better and more informative guides) the city is a contrast between poor and rich..the poor are Very poor and the rich areas are magnificent!!

We had a 6 hour tour which covered a lot of the city but the most magnificent edifice is the Alexandria library..it is absolutely a masterpiece!!

Check it out on line, you will be really surprised..

Last stop was at a state store (means expensive) but we had ordered 3 cartouche for our daughters so just picked them up..they were about the same price as we paid for our grandaughters last year in Cairo ..30 Euro

By the time we returned to the ship Stu and I were really tired so we went to Windows buffet for dinner..they have sushi up there every nite we were told and it was delicious..many different kinds..the large assortment surprised us..

They had 2 kinds of hot soup (Stu had tomato and I had lentil) both were wonderful..

They were slicing roast beef so we both had that and it was delicios, rare and temder..

We sat and talked to some new friends from Vancouver for about an hour and then pooped out and went to bed..

Up early this am..and we docked in Port Said at 9am..does not look like there is anything to do here and only one tour to the Pyramids (we have been there) so I did laundry at 9am..it was interesting TAKE NOTE..some washers are $1.00 and some ar $2.00..I am sure there is a size difference but it truly is not that much..so use the $1.00 machines..all dryers ar $2.00

Thats it for now..we are finally going to eat in Prime C for dinner after canceling several times..(not our fault) ..I will not write for the next few days as we will be in Jerusalem overnight..so dont give up on me.."I shall return" Hm that sounds familiar!!

Regards from Port Said..

Jancruz1

I enjoy reading your live account so much! Thanks for taking the time!!

I know you'll be off line for a few days, but when you're back, would you mind telling me where the Quest docks in Istanbul? I'm trying to plan our evening there and that would help!

I know you went for the Belly Dancing Dinner there, but do you know if they had local entertainment on board that night???

THanks!!

MC

Jan, it sounds as if I'll be reading your next installment from the airport or in Rome as we wait to board!:D

I'd love to know who the wine stewards in Prime C and Aqualina are. They do move between the two ships, and I'm hoping that Ermina or Laurentzia are onboard Quest.

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Jan

Glad things are so good and we look forward to seeing you in August.

Last year there was an Assistant Maitre d' from Bulgaria named George and I was wondering if he was still around and likely to be there later in year.

Brian

George is on the Journey now. Just saw him the last 2 weeks of our cruise. He is very depressed about the recent football results.

hi just off the journey may 9th and was bowled over by the service and happy staff on journey. people like george Asst maitre D MAKE YOUR CRUISE.His team Chelsea lost while on board and he needed some TLC.

he along with Adel (Aqualina) lea ,bar service,Jouie butler, John Howell cruise director, Jenny and Kevin, Activities and off course Phillip the ultra professional ,perfect english gentleman ,hotel director.:)They all made you feel like you were the most important person on that ship and that only you was getting that attention when in fact they treated everyone the same.We thought everything was outstanding but meeting fellow cruise critic poster susieann and her hubby Bob made our cruise .They are a fountain of Knowledge about cruising and all the other CC people we met on our back to back.:D

The officers ,staff and their families on board, all mix and eat with the passengers and the size of the ship makes for a friendly cruise.

only one negative ,the shows were exactly the same as on Quest last year but they did bring on other entertainers which the americans knew and liked .

:Dthanks again susie and bob and keep in touch

Well done Azamara you have done what you said.icon11.gif

It is our 2nd day at sea and since Israel I havent been able to get on cruise critic to post..

Our 2 days in Israel were beyond belief..I will have to go over our itinerary to tell yu all that we did..It is an amazing country and a lot of things that I thought I knew I was surprised to find out I was incorrect..

We drove all over the country in 2 days but the highlite of course was Jerusalem..that is one fabulous place..we had stayed overnight and planned to spend a second day in Jerusalem but unfortunately the pope came in and if we didnt leave the city in the am we would have been locked in!!

So after going to the Mount of Olives at 8am we drove out of the city to the Sea of Galilee..

with may stops on the way..I will be happy to send our itinerary to anyone that requests it when we return home..

We stayed at the Scottish Church B and B in Jerusalem but I would not stay there again..no elevators, bathroom shower unusable, and bed not very comfortable..

We were in Cyprus the next day and there was a shuttle from the ship to the town center for $8 which we took and walked the area for about 2 hours and returned to the ship..We have had 2 days at sea and it has been very peaceful..Med is like glass and not a ripple..this cruise line has done so many interesting things on this trip..and keeps us very busy..Some of these things I will tell you about from home..tonight we will pass Stromboli an active Vocano and the Captain says we may see smoke and fire..tomorrow Sorrento and then home on the 16th..If I do not get a chance to write again..I will be happy to answer any questions as soon as we return home..

Thanks for reading about our adventures..

Regards,

Jancruz1

Hi Jan !

Thanks for your updates, it sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Enjoy the rest of your Cruise !

Jan,

I was on the same cruise and I echo your sentiments - Israel was a very special place for us and it was fortunate that we had 2 excellent guides bringing us to the different sights.

I really wanted to have a quick chat and personally say thanks for your response to my questions before the cruise but next time perhaps.

Mark

Hi ptcellen

I was extremely happy with the tour guides I had in Israel. Eva, who brought us around in Jerusalem was very thorough (if not a bit rushed) but she managed to bring us to so many places in one day (and my dad had walking difficulties so we were slow to start with), it was like having a friend drive you around and telling you about the sights, her beliefs and viewpoints, and I felt that she really wanted us to see and know about her country as possible. She seemed genuinely excited for us to visit her country.

Nurit Greenberg brought us around Nazareth and Galilee - Nurit is the best private guide I've had on a cruise. She is merticulous and very knowledgeable but most of all, she believed that touring is not only about seeing the sights (as you would forget it soon enough) but "experiencing" it. To that end she'd go out of her way that we "feel" the waters of the sea of galilee (like getting the van to go all the way to the bank of the sea of galilee cos my dad can't walk that far - and she does this without us even asking!), "taste" the food eaten by folks in the time of Jesus, etc. She'd read out the beatitudes to us while we were at the mount of beatitudes, she'd sing to us when we were waddling in the river jordan.

I don't have their contacts to hand right now but will post it when I dig it out of the luggages.

Hi, Jan, I'm loving your reports! Sounds like an interesting trip (I've been reading Erica Silverstein's virtual on the same trip -- it's here if you haven't seen it: http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=34.

I hope you got to meet Erica?

Wanted to jump in and second your praise for Kindle. Bought one just before I left on Crystal Symphony trip and it kept me occupied over 16 day trip! Even bought books along the way.

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I am trying to answer each question:

We have over 600 passengers on board..I was surprised there are so many!!

I can't tell you how I have tried to get out the message about Frankfurt in the "Cruise Air" posts...to some serious flaming. It is a difficult airport but if you have at least 2 hours connection time you won't feel panicked, you will have time for a cup of coffee to settle your nerves and your bags will accompany you to your ongoing flight. How long was your connection?

"Our connection was 3 hours but I was not feeling great and trying to get a wheel chair took over 1 hour.."

Business class in Europe is generally not worth it unless you have long flights and connections, then it is worth the money if for the lounges alone. Overseas, that airline is one of the best.

"We flew for 10 hours from LA to Frankfurt and really needed BC.."

Do you think you need to a tour in Chios or can you explore on your own would you say?

"You can walk around on yourr own but this is one place I suggest a tour..there is nothing but restaurants on the main streets"

Thank you for posting your review so far. We will be on the Journey Holyland cruise Nov. 8th. Wanted to know if your tour to Chios was a ship tour or private tour. If it was a ship tour, which one was it? Keep us informed please. Enjoyed reading your review so far. We are looking to still find a tour guide in Israel. Let us know who you used and if you were pleased.

Thank you very much.

"

Again..ships tour in Chios I will let you know when I get to Israel if I like the guide.."

Looking forward to your further reports! Doesn't the Kindle change the way you pack and cruise? Such a difference!

"The kindle is a most amazing invention.."

Was your Cabaret dinner tour in istanbul an Azamara excursion? I want to do something for our evening there.

"Our Cabaret was a ships tour..$75 per person and I thought it was a great deal..I would do it again"

"Jack, I will have to check on the Euro situation..we have been using USD in all ports with no problem!"

The Library is not only open I was surprised at the great selection of Fiction..a lot of new books I had just put on my kindle!!

Hi all,

Last night was an amazing cruise critic party from 5-6pm in Looking Glass..there was a receiving line with the Captain, Nyazi (GM) Guest services rep, and Sue Demming cruise director.

We had about 50 people there and it was crowded

The assortment of appetizers was wonderful all cold but delicious and they kept coming they were serving complimentary red,white and Rose wine and champagne it also kept coming..

Everyone in the staff introduced themselves again and Sue had all of the cruise critic members stand and give their email addresses..it was fun putting the names with the faces..coincidentally at the same time we ran into a school of Dolphins and of course the Captain took credit..!!

We had dinner with 2 other couples back in Aqualina and again the food was outstanding..I had duck and Stu had Cod and both were wonderful..

We didnt finish dinner until 10pm so we did not go to the show..we will tonight as it is a jazz horn player and Stu loves Jazz..

We are in Kusadasi today and since we have been here many times before we just walked around met old friends from some of the stores..we love the people here they are so friendly and their main concern is our economy because people are not buying here when they get off the ships..

The weather is 74 and sunny what a beautiful day..we had lunch at our favorite outdoor restaurant and sat enjoyed the food and people watched..

I bought a genuine fake Bulgari watch and it is now 4 hours and still running..I guess I have my moneys worth!!

It is now 4:30pm and we just got back from walking since 11am..so time to grab the kindle and sit by the pool..I am so glad it warmed up..It is time to wear something other than a sweater..

Keep the questions coming..more tomorrow!

Jancruz1

Hi Everyone..

Well we are home in Palm Springs..(100 degrees day and night) and looking back on our wonderful trip..(and great weather)

I think I missed a question on where we docked in Istanbul..we were about a 20 minute walk from the bridge that leads into the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market..so location is great!!

I would say that our trip on a scale of 1 to 10 was a 10 + because of the ports, service, food and of course all the wonderful people we met!!

I am already looking forward to and starting to plan our August 9 cruise on Quest and I am happy to say many of the same service people will still be on the ship!!

Disembarking was the best we have ever had and ran so smoothly that we were off the ship and driving away from the port in a matter of 15 minutes..all bags loaded and a guide welcoming us and giving us a quick tour of Rome..I was very glad we had taken the transfers!

Carolyn, if you havent been on Azamara yet..you must try it..Erica and her friend Rachel were delightful and seemed to be having a great time..

About the kindle..this morning the funniest thing happened..I had forgotten I ordered Lee Childs new book for the release date..and there it was this morning!!

I want to thank everyone for reading about our adventures..my favorite saying..is "Life without travel, is like reading a book without opening the cover"

Good cruising everyone!!

Regards,

Jancruz1

Jan

Thanks for your wonderful posts I have really enjoyed them

We are going to join Quest as you come off in August - can you share which of the staff might be aboard then - we are hoping to see some old friends from our January cruise

A

Jan

Thanks for your wonderful posts I have really enjoyed them

We are going to join Quest as you come off in August - can you share which of the staff might be aboard then - we are hoping to see some old friends from our January cruise

A

Vlado and Niyazi are not sure where they will be..Cem (maite'd in Aqualina) will be ther..

Lots of the entertainment staff will be there..Nora (waitress in Aqualina) will be back) Emaline will be there..It will be easier for me to let you know the first couple if days back..please remind me before I leave and I will be happy to post all the names..

Jancruz1

:mad:I was in Sky Suite 8047 and my watch was stolen on the last night

I left it by the safe and was too lazy to put it away

It was not a very expensive watch (a GUESS FUN Watch) but it wa a gift from my husband and meant alot to me

The Head butler was expecting a tip, which I was going to give him in the morning.

When I left the cabin to go to a Sail Away party, I was late and met him in the foyer and he gave me a dirty look. I should have known.

He then delivered our breakfast so late the next morinng that we couldn't eat it and the order was all wrong

I called him but he refused to answer the phone. I then went to Guest Relations to report the watch, but had to leave the ship at 7AM for the airport

I did report it, but I don't expect to ever see the watch again.....

Archived