RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

I guess it depends on how big the people are. It's a regular car. If the 3 in the back seat are, shall we say wider, then it's going to be a tight fit. Look at the back seat of any car and think whether you would fit. Good leg room though.

Thank you....sounds like we will fit fine. Is it a Mercedes sedan, I assume a full size car.

We are booked with RIL early October for Naples port: Pompeii and Postiano for sure...we are wondering where else you have been besides Sorrento that you enjoyed?

Janey mentioned the town of Amalfi instead of Sorrento? Any thoughts on which would be the best. I haven't heard great things about Sorrento, but I would like to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

I have been to Sorrento twice and Amalfi once. I found Amalfi much more charming. It is a smaller town. If I had to chose between the two I would pick Amalfi.

We booked 3 tours with RIL for our upcoming cruise in Oct. We also have 4 people and was told we will have a sedan. Did you find there was enough room with 4 prople and the driver?

Sorry for responding so late; I haven't been on the site in a while.

We originally reserved a sedan. I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs and when I emailed RIL about their opinion of what vehicle to get given my size they suggested the upgrade to the van (also a Mercedes product). Our friends were fine splitting the cost of the upgrade so that's what we did. I think there was a little more room in the seat behind the driver and myself which my wife and our friends appreciated. The sedan may be fine for you though.

I could not resist putting in my 2 cents on LIR we went on a med cruise with 10 people in 2007. We used LIR for 4 ports we were treated like royalty on each tour. I Rome they took us on a nighttime tour the highlight was seeing the coliseum all lite up at night and a stop at the Trevi fountain at night also all lite up where we took pictures, threw coins wandered around the fountain and of course had Gelato. Next day a tour of Rome 8 hours, they reserved a tour guide for the Vatican we walked right in although somewhat hurried we got to see the Sistine chapel and learned many historical facts and saw many historical items/statues. We visited many sites throughout Rome, our guide talking constantly. Our guide took us to a small restaurant sorta of a hidden gem he said the cab drivers often use for lunch. We had a fabulous meal of three or 4 courses with wonderful wine. My memory says this was reasonable and seemed so authentic. My only advice for you would be to ask the guide to answer questions rather try to stuff 2,000 years of history into your heads for 8 hours. I really enjoyed this tour and feel very familiar with the city after only 12 hours with LIR. Or next tour with LIR was in Naples, they met us at the ship and took us to a small cameo factory in the hills along the way to Pompeii. They ask you if you want to go and we were thrilled because we all had said we wanted a cameo for Italy. We each bought one and one lady bought a very Large brooch and the master carver who was 80 signed it.

After the Cameo factory we proceeded to Pompeii, LIR had reserved a guide for us to tour Pompeii. He was very knowledgeable giving us plenty of information and time to take pictures. He was not extremely patient with us as with 10 people some folks seemed to wander off and he wanted us to adhere to a strict schedule of seeing the various sites. I must say this is the reason I scheduled this cruise I have been intrigued by Pompeii for years now. The tour was great and for those worried about restrooms LIR ensures you have plenty of bathroom stops. One thing I must tell you is dozens if not hundreds of the articles/items found in Pompeii have been removed and taken to various museums. One I understand is in Naples where the ship docked. I plan on going back to Naples to see this museum as many items are housed there and I am dying to see them. After Pompeii our guide drove us to Sorrento, a beautiful village carved in the mountain side terraced right down to the sea. He drove us right down to the ocean a wharf of sorts and scheduled us lunch at a restrauant right on the wharf extending out to the sea. We were the only people in the restrauant and had another fabulous lunch with wonderful wine once again. The guide then took us up to city and gave us a few minutes to explore, we had Gelato as it is addicting and I bought a beautiful silk scarf. He got us back to the ship on time another beautiful days with LIR.

Our next tour with LIR was the Island of Sicily. We scheduled with them to see MT Etna and Taormina. This is where I must interject how wonderful it is to met at the ship by a small mercedes van and treated specially. On this cruise we scheduled our own tours 4 with LIR and 2 others with similar companies in countries LIR do not operate in, each tour was fabulous we were treated with the utmost respect experienced wonderful lunches and knowledgeable guides. I watched the other passengers being hauled around in busses treated like cattle many times and was so glad we chose these personal tours. The Guide in Sicily was not as talkative as the other guides but that was ok with us he did point out the house where the Godfather son got married and took us to view the ocean in several different spots. We really lucked out with this tour since there had been a bad traffic accident on the main road and in our small van we drove through cities along the coast to avoid the traffic jams and get to Mt. Etna. Once at Mt. Edna we were somewhat unimpressed as we live in the west and have been to several sites that have active volcanoes like Mt St Helens and Hawaii etc. We took pictures hiked around and then asked to go back to Taormina. There is a bathroom stop here so no worries. I loved this little town and wished we had more time there. We had pizza at a street café and then walked down the cobblestone street to find cannolis which we did find they made them fresh for us. We shopped of course had Gelato and back to the ship. I believe we would have had more time in Tarmino if there was not an accident we did not get to see the Greek Theatre our fault since we wanted Cannolis.

Our next LIR tour was out of the port of Livorno they again picked us up at the port, never late once they were always there waiting for us. This guide was our favorite he was lighthearted and made us laugh often. First he took us to Pisa to see the Leaning tower he drove us right up to the tower and dropped us off giving a good timeframe to see the tower. Many folks taking the cruise bus had to walk over a mile to see the tower since the bus parking is far from the sites. We then got back in the van and headed across Tuscany wine country toward Florence. We stopped at a small gas station convenience store for a comfort stop and then onto Florence. We stopped at a place right outside the city and looked down on the ancient city which was hard to believe we were really there looking at history, taking many pictures. He drove right down the streets of Florence and dropped us off at a famous church plaza with many sites, restaurants, and shops. We wandered around the square and shopped I bought two beautiful leather purses and had lunch once more in a quaint Italian bistro right on the square. All food in Italy was fabulous and not as expensive as we were told by past visitors. We thoroughly enjoyed our time we felt safe and comfortable. I would say use LIR for an outstanding experience. I wish I could go again.

I just finished my Disney Mediterranean Cruise and use Rome In Limo in Florence, Rome and The Amalfi Coast. Our guides were superb and very well informed, and oh, so much fun!! I highly recommend this service, it actually is less expensive than if you are doing the tour from the Disney port adventures, the Disney adventures are fine, but they are on large buses that will not allow you to drive up close to each sight—therefore you see much less for your buck! The Rome In Limo vans hold 8 passengers so it's small and can go right up to the sights, you really can see Rome in one day (ok, two would be better, but for what you see in one day, it's awesome). So ask for Clara in Florence, Big Nick in Rome, and Giovanni for the Port of Naples, Amalfi Coast. Oh and the personal authentic eateries they take you to, just so warm, friendly delicious, and FUN!!!

I have used RIL many times over the past years, and have always tipped the drivers! You will feel "happy" to tip them as they really do make the day for you.

It is a personal decision and depends on your financial standing. Some are on a tighter budget than others. I tip the usual 15% for satisfactory service, and more for exemplary service. I confess I have always had exemplary service with RIL and feel certain you will too.

I hope this is helpful and at least gives you one more opinion. :)

We have used Rome in Limo several times and I can highly recommend them ! Always on time, courteous, friendly and will give you a personalized tour. They will offer certain tours but will also, always consider your preferences ! :)

This is why we keep coming back to them !:D

In fact, I recently booked them for our May 31, 2014 cruise on the Disney Magic. Pleased to say , we will have their services in La Spezia, Civitavecchia and Naples ! :)

I'd say my Rome and Pisa/ San Gimignano tours were fabulous. Ask for Fabio (grew up partially in Canada) for Rome- if possible. And Gian Maria in Pisa/San Gimignano if possible. Both were SO knowledgeable and friendly. We really enjoyed our time with both of them. We saw a lot. I talked to other people who did similar tours and some didn't see or know about some of the stuff Fabio had told us/taken us to/showed us in Rome.

Pompeii, Sorrento & positano guide was nice. He was what I expected our tours to be. knowledge/insight when asked and driving. I don't think he was as fluent in English as the other two, so we chalked it up to that. Still a good tour though.

Our guide for Etna/Taormina has left basically a sour taste in our mouth for ever returning to Sicily. A good portion of our group felt he completely ignored us and the driver seemed irritated when we asked when we were going to Taormina as it was almost 12:30 pm and we were gallivanting near lava rock...still. He took us to Taormina and basically acted like we were taking money away from him. Kept telling us he can't get in there and it's really expensive. We talked to other people who did te same tour and they had more time in Taormina, did more stuff other than the volcano and still made it back to the ship before us. Asked him questions and his response to one was, "I don't know. Hot." For water temperatures.

I'd say my Rome and Pisa/ San Gimignano tours were fabulous. Ask for Fabio (grew up partially in Canada) for Rome- if possible. And Gian Maria in Pisa/San Gimignano if possible. Both were SO knowledgeable and friendly. We really enjoyed our time with both of them. We saw a lot. I talked to other people who did similar tours and some didn't see or know about some of the stuff Fabio had told us/taken us to/showed us in Rome.

Pompeii, Sorrento & positano guide was nice. He was what I expected our tours to be. knowledge/insight when asked and driving. I don't think he was as fluent in English as the other two, so we chalked it up to that. Still a good tour though.

Our guide for Etna/Taormina has left basically a sour taste in our mouth for ever returning to Sicily. A good portion of our group felt he completely ignored us and the driver seemed irritated when we asked when we were going to Taormina as it was almost 12:30 pm and we were gallivanting near lava rock...still. He took us to Taormina and basically acted like we were taking money away from him. Kept telling us he can't get in there and it's really expensive. We talked to other people who did te same tour and they had more time in Taormina, did more stuff other than the volcano and still made it back to the ship before us. Asked him questions and his response to one was, "I don't know. Hot." For water temperatures.

You really should report experience at Etna/Taormina to Jany at RIL, I'm sure she would want to know so that they can either insure this guide is better trained or let go. An email with your experience would take little time and is the only way they can be sure that no one else receives inferior service.

Edited by Gracie115

I agree, there are so many threads addressing the tipping procedure. I think it's a very personal matter, but there are many different experiences out there. Do a search for "tipping" and you'll see there are many people wanting to give their 2cents on tipping. My pet peeve is when I join a tour, or have others join mine and they tell me what I should tip.

The drivers are all excellent and deserve your gratuities. How much is a personal thing.

We just got back from a trip where we used Rome In Limo for Florence/Pisa and Rome tours on 9/10 and 9/11.

In Florence we had Sabrina who was very nice and a very good tour guide. We got a lot packed into a short day with a trip to Pisa then Florence where we got to the highlights with a stop at the top of the city at the end for a great panoramic view of Florence. She also gave us the option at the beginning to go to a winery if we had time which we took her up on. It was great to visit a Tuscan winery and sample some wine. We were able to bring a couple bottles home! This was a group of six and was a great tour.

In Rome we did a private tour with Franceso. It was 450 Euros for the tour but that is still less than the NCL tour that had everything we wanted to see and we got to do it in a comfortable Mercedes sedan and not a large bus with 40-50 people. We got around very quickly and Francesco was a great tour guide for us all day. We opted not to do a Vatican Guide and while it would have been nice to get some context to the things we saw in the museum we would have had to rush through no matter what. It was packed and it was good to just kind of power through and snap pics where we could. Maybe if you have more time it would be a good thing to do. Francesco gave us a great tip to get into St. Peters after going through the Sistine Chapel that easily saved us an hour of waiting in line to get in there. We got to see everything we wanted and more in a fairly short day. All in all a great experience.

I have used RIL many times over the past years, and have always tipped the drivers! You will feel "happy" to tip them as they really do make the day for you.

It is a personal decision and depends on your financial standing. Some are on a tighter budget than others. I tip the usual 15% for satisfactory service, and more for exemplary service. I confess I have always had exemplary service with RIL and feel certain you will too.

I hope this is helpful and at least gives you one more opinion. :)

I must agree with you, tipping is also very personal.

We used RIL on our cruise on the NCL Sprit in August/Sept. Here is my review

Rome: Romeinlimos Ultimate tour of Rome. Our guide for today was Sergio. We went straight to Rome after disembarking the ship early again. If you have the opportunity to do this, take advantage of it for Athens and Rome. Both drivers in these ports were pleased we were some of the very first off the ship.

Rome included the Coliseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Panthenon and the Vatican. We did not visit the Vatican as we had been there before. Instead we went back to the Forum. We enjoyed a relaxing afternoon exploring more of the Forum. Sergio then took us to a grocery store and a quick stop for gelato. The gelato was very good. He also stopped at an ATM to let us get some Euros as we were runninb low by now! Our ticket for the Coliseum allowed us entrance to the Forum. Ah Roma!

It was v ery nice to be able to customize our day. We would book with them again.

Peggy

We were cruising on Liberty of the Seas 25 - 31 Aug 2013 and used Rome in Limo for Florence, Rome, and Naples and we would never do it any other way! The service we received from Giovanni (Florence), Vinnie (Rome) and Carmine (Naples) was beyond outstanding! They took us exactly where we wanted to go and ensured that we got to see and do everything possible in the time we had ashore.

We were traveling with our mom who was using a wheelchair for the trip and they were awesome with her. They treated her like royalty and we all loved it! They recommended fabulous restaurants for us to have lunch and while we were with Carmine (Naples) he took us to a traditional restaurant which had a breathtaking view of the sea and the absolute best food we had on our entire trip. Outstanding place not to be missed! It was called Trattoria La Tagliata. All three drivers were wonderful with us and answered all of our questions, silly or not. : )

The best thing of all next to the drivers' personal service was how they were able to bring us practically to the door of each place we wanted to see. We got to see things we would have never seen had we been on a tour bus. The cars were fabulous and we felt like royalty the way they drove us around. If we needed to go to an ATM, the bathroom, or anything else, they were more than happy to oblige - no issues at all!

Jany, from their main office was extremely easy to work with. She told us exactly how to buy our tickets for the museums along with setting us up with a superb guide to tour the Vatican, Catherine. Catherine was incredibly knowledgeable and took us to see exactly what we wanted in the timeframe we had.

All in all, there is no doubt that using Rome In Limo was the best thing we did for our cruise. They are a wonderful company and I recommend them highly! Use them...I promise you won't be disappointed!

Edited by bfwbfs