Y'know, sometimes, I just think "to hell with cruising"

Life is good here on land. The weather is gorgeous, my herbs, veggies and flowers are abundantly overflowing with life in the garden, cooking at home is a joy because of all the lovely fresh produce and seafood available at my local grocery store, my husband and I enjoy our evening walks together strolling through the neighborhood and chatting with neighbors, and our children are healthy, happy, and well above average;) In short, I am content.

So, who needs the aggravation of schlepping my ever-aging body onto a cruise ship where I get to fight for a Lido seat after the ship's crew have taken all the good food choices, only to get my smuggled tray yanked away from me by an assiduous Lido manager? Who needs to stand in lines for this, that, and the other, while my toilet overfloweth and my cruiseline coffee reeketh? I don't feel compelled to anticipate in advance what could possible go wrong with my cruise, how much laundry I can stuff into a bag, what the crew does with my tip money, nor when the price of oil will prompt the cruise lines to reinstate the fuel surcharge. It's all just too much damn work, stress, and anxiety. What if the bartender doesn't accept my old drink card from my last cruise, the one with two punches left in it? I mean, what will I do?????

I swear, the Ryndam to Alaska is going to be my last cruise. I mean it, I really mean it. I'm on the brink of collapse......

Life is good here on land. The weather is gorgeous, my herbs, veggies and flowers are abundantly overflowing with life in the garden, cooking at home is a joy because of all the lovely fresh produce and seafood available at my local grocery store, my husband and I enjoy our evening walks together strolling through the neighborhood and chatting with neighbors, and our children are healthy, happy, and well above average;) In short, I am content.

So, who needs the aggravation of schlepping my ever-aging body onto a cruise ship where I get to fight for a Lido seat after the ship's crew have taken all the good food choices, only to get my smuggled tray yanked away from me by an assiduous Lido manager? Who needs to stand in lines for this, that, and the other, while my toilet overfloweth and my cruiseline coffee reeketh? I don't feel compelled to anticipate in advance what could possible go wrong with my cruise, how much laundry I can stuff into a bag, what the crew does with my tip money, nor when the price of oil will prompt the cruise lines to reinstate the fuel surcharge. It's all just too much damn work, stress, and anxiety. What if the bartender doesn't accept my old drink card from my last cruise, the one with two punches left in it? I mean, what will I do?????

I swear, the Ryndam to Alaska is going to be my last cruise. I mean it, I really mean it. I'm on the brink of collapse......

But I also feel your pain.That's just the half of it. There's also the worry of

1. How many rooms are the stewards assigned to clean?

2. How often will the sheets get changed?

3. Will the ship have real crab or that fake stuff?

4. Will my robes be cheery white or dreary yellow?

5. Will an aroma actually come out of the aroma showers?

6. Will I end up with smokers next to me.

7. Should I take a chance and spend $20 in the Pinnacle

8. Will I be first on a tender? If not how do I achieve this?

9. How do I convince uncle Morty to wear a jacket on formal night?

10. Why am I taking uncle Morty?

Plus, you might have to convince Uncle Morty to leave the tips alone and not go to the pursers desk to remove them. After Uncle Morty had the nerve to smuggle liquor onboard and demand vegan fare. It is very tiring. I think I will go take a nap now.

Too funny, and I take your point:p I really do lead a lucky duck kind of existence here in my home town.

So why is it I am itching to get back on board the next HAL ship? Bring on the tray fights, the smoking diapers, any little petty passengers. I'm ready!

I love your comments too! I often think the same. I like a cruise, but no steady diet. At times I read these post and just do not get all the fuss. The whole talk about trays in the Lido, Photos that are taken on the ship, formal night and what is not acceptable to wear, etc etc etc. I feel sorrty for these people who spend endless time and worry on such topics on your holiday. However my all time favorite are the ones who are concerned about how they will be able to make daily postings ( and not spend too much money doing so ) about the cruise they are currently on. Is it really so necessary to sit behind a computer, ( instead of spending time with your loved ones ) on your vacation to post daily updates to complete strangers? This is far too much and takes away from the goal of spending time with your family away from it all.

MAM,

Thank you for starting this. I was beginning to think only malcontents traveled on HAL. I haven't cruised with them before and was beginning to wonder if I wanted to. I've enjoyed my past cruises soooo much and never met up with any of the problems so many here seem to anticipate. If the food's good, I don't need a tray; I enjoy seeing the crew eating where I do; I love to have strangers join me at my table on the Lido deck; my AC has never been wrecked by someone propping open a balcony door; I've never propped open my balcony door because the cruise line asked my not to on the door--silly me-I thought everyone would respect that request and I think the vast majority do; If a deck chair is taken, I can move on; I'll have a lanai cabin and if the deck chairs are reserved for the cabins, I'll use my own; if anyone else is in them and I want them, I'll politely ask them to relinquish them; if they don't, I'll throw them overboard while screaming, "the posters on CC warned me there'd be people onboard like you so I muscled up to take care of you". Keep up our good spirits MAM--I hope I meet you rather than some of the others on my HAL cruise.

MAM,

Thank you for starting this. I was beginning to think only malcontents traveled on HAL. I haven't cruised with them before and was beginning to wonder if I wanted to. I've enjoyed my past cruises soooo much and never met up with any of the problems so many here seem to anticipate. If the food's good, I don't need a tray; I enjoy seeing the crew eating where I do; I love to have strangers join me at my table on the Lido deck; my AC has never been wrecked by someone propping open a balcony door; I've never propped open my balcony door because the cruise line asked my not to on the door--silly me-I thought everyone would respect that request and I think the vast majority do; If a deck chair is taken, I can move on; I'll have a lanai cabin and if the deck chairs are reserved for the cabins, I'll use my own; if anyone else is in them and I want them, I'll politely ask them to relinquish them; if they don't, I'll throw them overboard while screaming, "the posters on CC warned me there'd be people onboard like you so I muscled up to take care of you". Keep up our good spirits MAM--I hope I meet you rather than some of the others on my HAL cruise.

Beautiful.

:eek:I agree with you plus the following gripes:

1. Chair hogs. Where else can someone save chairs all day and they remain empty for hours.

2. When you leave your cabin and see the steward and tell him you are leaving. Go back two or more hours later and the romm is still not made up.

3. Get 1 suitcase at 3PM. Another one at 5PM and another one at 6PM

or later.

4. No matter what size ship you are on, the fuel sur-charge is the same.

That's like saying a Volks Wagon uses the same amount of fuel as a RV

5. On a busy night, half the Lido is saved for the ship's crew and only a handful are eating. Passengers are looking for a table and lugging tray-less food around.

Brilliant Thread!

Malcontent got me to thinking of other names we can call each other!

Crosspatch

Curmudgeon

Sourpuss

Sorehead

Grump

Bellyacher

We nag, moan, growl, fuss, attack, protest, wail, whimper and whine.

If only…………..we would realize that life is too short to be SNARKY!

Lin

Plus, you might have to convince Uncle Morty to leave the tips alone and not go to the pursers desk to remove them. After Uncle Morty had the nerve to smuggle liquor onboard and demand vegan fare. It is very tiring. I think I will go take a nap now.

Since We left Barbados

42153044131.jpgSt.

Archived