Tipping during Breakfast Buffet

Does anyone tip the servers for breakfast when getting the buffet? I'd never thought about doing so before :(, but after reading some of these threads, I began to wonder. The more I think about it, the more that I think it is appropriate bc they're bussing the tables for you...I mean, obviously the tip doesn't have to be thaaat much, but they are still working. Does anyone know if they make the min. wage while working during breakfast? I asked my BF about this (who's usually a great tipper), and he said that they don't need to be tipped during breakfast bc they're tipped at dinner since they're the same people who serve then, too. My response was that yes, they're tipped during dinner FOR dinner, but they also work during breakfast. Do their dinner tips also count for breakfast work?

Does anyone tip the servers for breakfast when getting the buffet? I'd never thought about doing so before :(, but after reading some of these threads, I began to wonder. The more I think about it, the more that I think it is appropriate bc they're bussing the tables for you...I mean, obviously the tip doesn't have to be thaaat much, but they are still working. Does anyone know if they make the min. wage while working during breakfast? I asked my BF about this (who's usually a great tipper), and he said that they don't need to be tipped during breakfast bc they're tipped at dinner since they're the same people who serve then, too. My response was that yes, they're tipped during dinner FOR dinner, but they also work during breakfast. Do their dinner tips also count for breakfast work?

I think they are totally different circumstances. At dinner, you have a select group of staff = the same people all week at your table. At the breakfast buffet, the servers are different, and they aren't attending you. Sure they are working, extremely hard, but, it is different, because you are getting your own food, and no one is coming to your table. Now, if you are having personal service at your table as you would in the dining room at night, I would say yes to the buffet tipping, otherwise, NO.

The tip you that you give for the waitstaff covers all of the waitstaff at breakfast, lunch and dinner- they all participate in the sharing of the tips. Of course if someone goes over and above for you and you want to tip them a little extra, of course you can.

I have always been under the impression that the staff at the dinner mans the Buffet during the day...so no, we typically dont leave more since we are tipping already for dinner service

No, it's not the same staff. The buffet is open for dinner, too. The staff that work the buffet stay at the buffet. But, they are part of the auto-tip pool. Like others have said, if someone goes above and beyond, you can give him/her a tip. But, he/she is required to put that tip in the tip pool. The only ones are allowed to keep all the cash they receive in tips are the butlers and concierges (and I think the bartenders).

On a couple cruises, we seemed to have the same "server" at the buffet for breakfast every day. We sought him or her out on the last morning to extend our appreciation with gratuity. My understanding is that they share in the automatic gratuities, but we felt it was appropriate to give extra.

No, it's not the same staff. The buffet is open for dinner, too. The staff that work the buffet stay at the buffet. But, they are part of the auto-tip pool. Like others have said, if someone goes above and beyond, you can give him/her a tip. But, he/she is required to put that tip in the tip pool. The only ones are allowed to keep all the cash they receive in tips are the butlers and concierges (and I think the bartenders).

Actually it depnds on your dinner waiter's daytime assignment. I have seen them in the buffet working on some cruises, and some cruises I have seen my wait staff working in the dinngroom at lunch. I have asked them about this, and I was told it is how they are assigned. Not as many are needed in the main dinngroom at lunch. More are needed at the buffet.

However, there are some who are assigned to the buffet all the time. I have been told they do not have as much senority and experince, to be given the dinner waiter positions.

However, there are some who are assigned to the buffet all the time. I have been told they do not have as much senority and experince, to be given the dinner waiter positions.

In which case, it's more appropriate to write a glowing comment card, detailing what excellent service you received from them. Those comment cards are far more valuable than a cash tip.

Caro

We have never tipped at the buffet for wither breakfast or lunch.

The crew working those areas do get some tip from the automated tips you pay each day per person.

On my last cruise, we did not use the dining room for dinner at all and did not do auto-tipping. This was not the plan ... it just happened. Once we realized, we tipped everyone who helped us during meal time, whether it was waiters in the dining room at lunch or people helping to clean up and get drinks in the buffet. Some people looked at us like we were nuts, but it was the only way to feel we weren't mooching.

On my last cruise, we did not use the dining room for dinner at all and did not do auto-tipping. This was not the plan ... it just happened. Once we realized, we tipped everyone who helped us during meal time, whether it was waiters in the dining room at lunch or people helping to clean up and get drinks in the buffet. Some people looked at us like we were nuts, but it was the only way to feel we weren't mooching.

Aww, that's really nice of you :).

Wow, I guess they really must have to trust each other to claim the cash tips if I'm understanding this correctly. Since we have the choices of: (1) auto-tipping, (2) auto-tipping and extra cash tip on top, or (3) completely cash tip....and they're supposed to pool all of their tips...it must be easy for some people to keep the cash. Also, I wonder how some of the crew who go out of their way to make guests feel welcome feel about those who don't put forth as much effort yet still make the same amt of money :confused:.

We like the buffet for breakfast and on our last cruise, one of the staff members was very attentative to us by bringing our juice, more coffee and even saving a table for us when he would see us enter. He gave us wonderful service each and every day, and we gladly tipped him at the end of the cruise. We also mentioned him and his very attentive and personal service on our comment card.

You are incorrect the dining room staff do work the other venues for breakfast and lunch. The staff that work the dinner buffet are usually newbies who are being trained and will move to the dining room when they show they are ready and when there is an opening.

Also the wait staff do not get one meal off a day, they may get a meal (usually lunch) off every 7-10 days or so.

I have always been under the impression that the staff at the dinner mans the Buffet during the day...so no, we typically dont leave more since we are tipping already for dinner service

Most of the waiter and assistant waiters who work in the dining room at dinner will work in either the dinin room or buffet for either breakfast or lunch. They usually have one of the two meals off.

I don't know about all cruise lines but I do know that many of the dining room stewards who serve dinner in the evening, work Lido for breakfast and lunch.

Some stewards work the dining room for all three meals.

We have absolutely seen our dinner steward in Lido at lunch and that is not uncommon. A certain number work Lido each lunchtime.

On every line we're cruised with we always see our dinner waitstaff in other venues at other times. Seeinf them hard at work at other times underscores that they definitely deserve the tip we leave out dinner staff. (We do the autotip and then give extra directly at/near the end of the cruise).

There are so many people working the areas in the buffet, it would be impossible to tip them all.

I've never seen anyone leaving a tip on a table in the buffet.

Who do you not tip? -it would be a shorter list. :cool:

Do you feel compelled to tip simply everyone?

Where does it end? Does it end?

Enquiring (non-USA) Minds need to know..seriously!

The only person I've ever seen tipped at the breakfast buffet is the guy who makes the omelets...

Do you know if the omelet guy will fry an egg for you, instead of getting an omelet? Will gladly tip him for it.

Archived