Formal Night Dilemma with No Solution

Mysteryreader

I sure am enjoying this thread!! If it was about the other issues mentioned (ie, smoking, holding of deck chairs, kids etc) I would be just as interested. My issue after reading all this is... will I be overdressed? I intend, on one of the formal nights, to wear a very formal dress indeed. Will I look out of place and could anyone tell me is there one night that is "more formal" than the others? Perhaps the final formal night?

I believe you have three formal nights on your cruise, if you are 12 nights. If your formal dress is ball gown rather that evening gowns, you might be dressed quite formal, but I am sure you will look amazing. I have thought the second forma night is the one that seems to be more significant, but others may be able to provide other insight based on their experience.

I believe you have three formal nights on your cruise, if you are 12 nights. If your formal dress is ball gown rather that evening gowns, you might be dressed quite formal, but I am sure you will look amazing. I have thought the second forma night is the one that seems to be more significant, but others may be able to provide other insight based on their experience.

It's actually a beaded, sparkly top - no sleeves, very evening style with an evening floaty skirt. I think it will be fine going by photos I have seen of how others have dress for the formal nights. My other two nights I'm wearing cocktail length dresses.

I do totally understand the reason that everyone gets upset about losing the formal night - I too would hate to see the dress code relax so much that anything goes. Sort of takes away what is special about a cruise!

That's what people don't get. No one is upset by seeing a couple of guys in sports jackets even though it's not formalwear. But as we can see by some of the posts on the boards when one starts, others come back from their cruise and say if that guy can do it so can I. Then it's the guy who doesn't like to wear a jacket so he leaves that off and next comes the tie.

Formal nights on Celebrity are very nice and there is a difference in the ambience for a few hours of the week. It's a tradition that Celebrity encourages and that most Celebrity cruisers like along with the other things that make Celebrity an attractive choice for cruising. It's always the small differences and attention to detail that most people remark about. It helps to attract passengers who are looking for a certain ambience on their vacation, and I'm not talking about just formal night. Just ask yourselves if you are attracted to an experience that attracts a large group of people whose motto is "it's my vacation and I'll do whatever I please" and decide if some traditions might be worth keeping.

That's what people don't get. No one is upset by seeing a couple of guys in sports jackets even though it's not formalwear. But as we can see by some of the posts on the boards when one starts, others come back from their cruise and say if that guy can do it so can I. Then it's the guy who doesn't like to wear a jacket so he leaves that off and next comes the tie.

Formal nights on Celebrity are very nice and there is a difference in the ambience for a few hours of the week. It's a tradition that Celebrity encourages and that most Celebrity cruisers like along with the other things that make Celebrity an attractive choice for cruising. It's always the small differences and attention to detail that most people remark about. It helps to attract passengers who are looking for a certain ambience on their vacation, and I'm not talking about just formal night. Just ask yourselves if you are attracted to an experience that attracts a large group of people whose motto is "it's my vacation and I'll do whatever I please" and decide if some traditions might be worth keeping.

I totally agree BUT we only decided to go on Celebrity after they relaxed the smart casual attire. Originally men were supposed to wear jacket and tie to dinner every night and to us, that really is not holiday wear. We are very happy to be very smart casual, minus the jacket and tie, and dress up to the nines on formal night

I totally agree BUT we only decided to go on Celebrity after they relaxed the smart casual attire. Originally men were supposed to wear jacket and tie to dinner every night and to us, that really is not holiday wear. We are very happy to be very smart casual, minus the jacket and tie, and dress up to the nines on formal night

Hi Scottygirl:) a jacket and tie every night? Not since I have been

sailing with them and that is 6 years.

Hi Scottygirl:) a jacket and tie every night? Not since I have been

sailing with them and that is 6 years.

Hi - my brochure dated Jan 2009 - March 2010 states "Informal nights - gentlemen are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and tie". This really put us off and we nearly didn't book this cruise. It was only once I looked at something online that told me this had been changed. Not sure what has actually happened over the years, I can only tell you what the brochure says.

Hi - my brochure dated Jan 2009 - March 2010 states "Informal nights - gentlemen are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and tie". This really put us off and we nearly didn't book this cruise. It was only once I looked at something online that told me this had been changed. Not sure what has actually happened over the years, I can only tell you what the brochure says.

Oh, ok..well, the brochure is now wrong. I gotcha;) You asked earlier if you would

be overdressed if you dressed "formally" on formal nights. Just wanted

to repeat my reply, no you will not:). There are still many folks who

"dress formally" on formal nights:D

The confusion is that there were three levels of dress, formal, informal and casual. Informal on Celebrity was the equivalent of semi-formal. On a 7 day cruise there were usually 2 formal, 2 informal and three casual nights.

I thought you said you hadn't been on Celebrity yet. Am I mistaken?

We have not cruised with Celebrity yet.......with others who still observe formal nights, however.....my comment was actually supposed to be in jest. Maybe I needed more smileys :D:D

The confusion is that there were three levels of dress, formal, informal and casual. Informal on Celebrity was the equivalent of semi-formal. On a 7 day cruise there were usually 2 formal, 2 informal and three casual nights.

...and with the eased up requirements, its not as difficult to still pack that suit or tux;)

Scottygirl...its only been in recent times that the levels changed, I don't think its even been a year yet.

I think the code changed a little before our cruise last September. I know I was glad to be able to leave the sort coat, shoes, etc behind. As FC indicated, it left a lot more room for my tux. Actually, a tux is pretty economical space wise as it can be used for several nights. I usually take two tux shirts (we like the longer cruises which have maybe 3 or 4 tux nights). A few years ago I got a tux, shirts, cummerbund, studs, etc at Syms for about $125. Yeah, it is polyester, but black is black and the focus is on my wife, not me.

A note to the guys-IT IS NO BIG DEAL. No one is asking you to give away your golf clubs, or get a vasectomy, or relinguish the remote control. Just dress up, for gosh sakes. Make your wife proud of you. If you are not sure how to put on a tux, ask someone or google it. It really is quite easy.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Sunshine, you are right about the emoticon-methinks many, including me, thought you were being serious. Glad you are not that stuffy person:)

No one is asking you to give away your golf clubs, or get a vasectomy, or relinguish the remote control.

I did the first two last year , the kids seem to own the remote these days and I still wore a tux on my first cruise in March.

I just don't feel like a real man anymore :( :D

I never knew that was how love and respect were measured......apparently, there were certainly a lot of unloved women on our last cruise.....I wonder if they know that they are not loved or respected????? :D:D

Great post - I love your sense of humor :)

In my opinion, a man wearing a very nice sports jacket with a tie on formal night looks significantly more urbane than a man wearing a cheaply made polyester suit or a very old tux.

As my post earlier today referred to my polyester tux which I have used for several years, and there had been no previous posts referring to polyester, I take the comment a bit personally.

I think that even the guys who wear old or polyester tuxes should be applauded for at least attempting honor their wives and respecting other passengers by complying with the dress code.

FYI, my poly tux and I both look great. But, to continue your line of thought, what do you think of the guys who "dress up" in a sport coat and tie, wear the shirt collar and tie loose, and have a clown knot on their tie as opposed to a properly tied full windsor? Or take the sport coat off at the table and hang it on their chair? Nothing suave or urbane about that stuff.

Happy sails to you

As my post earlier today referred to my polyester tux which I have used for several years, and there had been no previous posts referring to polyester, I take the comment a bit personally.

I think that even the guys who wear old or polyester tuxes should be applauded for at least attempting honor their wives and respecting other passengers by complying with the dress code.

FYI, my poly tux and I both look great. But, to continue your line of thought, what do you think of the guys who "dress up" in a sport coat and tie, wear the shirt collar and tie loose, and have a clown knot on their tie as opposed to a properly tied full windsor? Or take the sport coat off at the table and hang it on their chair? Nothing suave or urbane about that stuff.

Happy sails to you

I didn't realize that you had posted that, so my comment about polyester was not meant to be personal.

Please accept my apologies for that misunderstanding.

I was just trying to make the point that there is almost always something that can be criticized about the way a person is dressed, so as long as a passenger's attire is close enough to the suggested dress code, I don't think it is a big deal if the OP's husband doesn't follow the dress code perfectly.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion, which is obviously not shared by a number of people who have posted on this thread.

Thanks for clarifying, Bridge Maven:)

I think this thread, like most of the ones on a dress code, has been about beat to death, so will likely not post again.

I hope that all the women out there who would like their guys to wear a tux or at least a good looking suit will get their wish.

Happy Sails to You

We just returned from Millie Alaska. My DH wore a suit, while our traveling companion was in a tux. His wife and I were in dressy dresses, not formal gowns. The table of 6 next to us, a family of older teens, the father was in an open neck dress shirt, no tie or jacket that I saw, the women all had on nice dresses, the younger teen in shirt and tie with no jacket. No one cared. There were more annoying problems with the younger kids (preteens) who ran through the main dining room passageway as well as the passage ways late at night as if they were on the school playground. No one cared about that either. Again, this was a cruise to Alaska and the weather was cooler and more rainy than most of us expected. Lots of jeans, sweatshirts and fleece everywhere. While I prefer dressing up for formal nights, I have seen fewer and fewer tuxes and formal gowns onboard as the years go by. Our cruise to the Carribbean was dressy, but less formal than cruises to Europe. As far as your husband goes, IMHO, he should be able to dress as he feels appropriate. A suit would be fine if he doesn't want to wear a tux, or at least a jacket. Anyone who objects, hopefully, would have enough class to not comment or criticize. Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy yourselves.

Happy sails to you

Those folks live in Hicksville!

We can all make comments about how someone in a sport coat might look better than someone in an old suit. Is that really the point? Some people in tuxes might be rude and have bad table manners. Is that the point? Celebrity's request is for a tux, a suit or a dinner jacket. No one is saying everyone should wear a tux, but it would seem that it wouldn't be too difficult to wear one of the three that is requested. What does looking urbane have to do with formalwear? Many people look urbane wearing jogging suits.

If you don't care to comply, then don't, no one will confront you, but looking for "approval" on a message board is a bit juvenile.

Do you know what is really Suave, urbane, debonair, classy, sexy, cool ....or whatever you want to call it ?

Self confidence and feeling good about yourself, walking in a room with your head held high.

That all comes from inside not outside.

My father used to say "Walk in a room like you own the place, not stooped over and mousey like you're looking for quarter you just dropped. Don't act like you are better than anyone else, but sure as hell don't let anyone make you feel they are better than you."

Where did you get the idea that I don't follow the dress code?

My husband always wears his tux while I dress in an outfit that complies with one of Celebrity's suggested options for formal night.

The difference is that I am not as judgmental of other passengers and it wouldn't bother me in the least if the husband of the OP wore a sports jacket with a tie instead. I also don't think that the OP should feel self conscious if he does because I have never met a passenger on a Celebrity ship that is as judgmental as some of the people who post on this message board.

Do you know what is really Suave, urbane, debonair, classy, sexy, cool ....or whatever you want to call it ?

Self confidence and feeling good about yourself, walking in a room with your head held high.

That all comes from inside not outside.

My father used to say "Walk in a room like you own the place, not stooped over and mousey like you're looking for quarter you just dropped. Don't act like you are better than anyone else, but sure as hell don't let anyone make you feel they are better than you."

Babyher, I agree with you completely!

Where did you get the idea that I don't follow the dress code?

My husband always wears his tux while I dress in an outfit that complies with one of Celebrity's suggested options for formal night.

The difference is that I am not as judgmental of other passengers and it wouldn't bother me in the least if the husband of the OP wore a sports jacket with a tie instead. I also don't think that the OP should feel self conscious if he does because I have never met a passenger on a Celebrity ship that is as judgmental as some of the people who post on this message board.

Who said YOU don't comply with the dress code? Have you ever heard of the use of the editorial "you", meaning that it is addressed to those to whom it applies?

Obviously the other comment was in response to what you said, but I didn't direct that comment to YOU.

So pointing out the facts makes one judgmental? Personally I don't care if someone wants to wear their pajamas to dinner, but if someone asks a question here it should be answered truthfully. If the passengers were the ones deciding what they think everyone else should wear they might be accused of being judgmental. Celebrity is the one who decided what the dress code would be. It's just a case of those who comply and those who don't. If THEY don't want to, so be it, but what is the point of trying to get approval for doing other than what is clearly spelled out by the cruiseline?

The "I'm not judgmental" line always appears when there is no defense for a position. The people who point out what the dress code "is" are not being judgmental, and they don't need any condescending remarks.

Archived