Formal Night Dilemma with No Solution

Mysteryreader

Baloney.

No one here is insisting that anyone follows the rules. If there is one post that insists that please point it out.;)

There are however two camps. One that does 'follow the rules' and one that does 'not follow the rules'. This cut and paste from Sunshine pretty much sums up the point for those insisting on falling short and I happen to adore this logic:

"If you find that the ship, itinerary and price that you prefer comes with a slightly more formal dress code than might be your preference, is it that much of a big thing to throw a suit for a man, or long black slacks and a glittery top for a lady into your suitcase? If dress code is so minor a consideration why not just go along with it? Why fight tooth and nail to defend your right to disregard it?"

This is going to be my last post on this thread. As usual it has gotten way of track and probably contains far more opinions than the OP wanted, but I did want to say I agree with this that aside from some of the nasty remarks about slobs and snobs that sometimes appear it does seem to be a do what you are asked versus not doing it argument. It is not helped by the new thing added to the mix that Don highlighted and that is Celebrity's inconsistency in enforcing the requests they make, but that's not an excuse to ignore them. I know that if I were requested to wear something particular and there was a chance of being denied entry to a dining venue (and it does happen) because I didn't do as was asked I'd make sure I had the right clothes on. What does drive me nuts here is the misinformation put out by some in advising others what they can wear. It may very well lead to embarassement and/or disappointment and I don't think that is very helpful.

If Celebrity decide to relax its requested dress code that's how it is and I can decide whether to stay with them or pick another line that has the more formal atmosphere, but until that time I'll continue to do as I have been asked. Simple as that.

Phil

Phil not to draw you back in to this but to take it one step further and in keeping with doing the right thing:

There has been a history of many, many threads on the following topics:

1. Babies in the Pools

2. Kids in the hot tubs

3. Parents not watching kids

4. Chair Hogging

5. Smoking

In virtually all of those threads posters comment on the lack of following the rules and/or the lack of consideration of others. Some of these instances of rule breaking have a more detrimental effect on someone's enjoyment while on board and some are more subtle. But I have no doubt that doing what one knows they are not supposed to be doing is intentional rule breaking.

For it to be suggested that some sort of latitude be given to those who just want to enjoy their vacation, I don't agree any more than I would agree with latitude for 1 through 5 above. Everyone wants to enjoy their vacation and there has been a long history of pinpointing and discussing on these boards the rules that people want to bend and break in order to and once they do set foot on a ship. The idea that unless one breaks rules they can't or won't have a good time seems to indicate some sort of obscure logic to me.

Really?

Do you mostly dine at strip clubs or go on all male (except for your wife) cruises? Cause I am willing to bet there would ba a lot of complaints from other ladies if someone showed up dressed in that.

Sunshine... Lighten up, polishing the tiara seems to have put a damper on your sense of humor. WVUFAN is from WEST VIRGINIA for crying out loud! You CAN'T expect him to be able to distinguish between his wife and his daughter! Be grateful he can distinguish overalls from a tux and dresses 'appropriately'!

As for "complaints from other ladies", I've not seen a female Maitre d' YET!! Save your breath, drink your soup, 'an don' goin' worryin' yer perty 'lil head o'er it!' :D;):D

Phil not to draw you back in to this but to take it one step further and in keeping with doing the right thing:

There has been a history of many, many threads on the following topics:

1. Babies in the Pools

2. Kids in the hot tubs

3. Parents not watching kids

4. Chair Hogging

5. Smoking

In virtually all of those threads posters comment on the lack of following the rules and/or the lack of consideration of others. Some of these instances of rule breaking have a more detrimental effect on someone's enjoyment while on board and some are more subtle. But I have no doubt that doing what one knows they are not supposed to be doing is intentional rule breaking.

For it to be suggested that some sort of latitude be given to those who just want to enjoy their vacation, I don't agree any more than I would agree with latitude for 1 through 5 above. Everyone wants to enjoy their vacation and there has been a long history of pinpointing and discussing on these boards the rules that people want to bend and break in order to and once they do set foot on a ship. The idea that unless one breaks rules they can't or won't have a good time seems to indicate some sort of obscure logic to me.

Obscure logic works for me...

I've never been on a cruise where at least 3 of your 1-5 aren't present... axiomatic. So obscure logic seems to call for one of three responses...

1) Don't cruise.

2) Don't invest much in it and enjoy the cruise.

3) Let it bother me, and bother me, grate at me so that I think about it, write about, and carry it about ad nauseum...

Now what's the 'logical' response... hmmm...

Really?

Do you mostly dine at strip clubs or go on all male (except for your wife) cruises? Cause I am willing to bet there would ba a lot of complaints from other ladies if someone showed up dressed in that.

Pretty sure he was Joking! Lighten up sunshine! Not that many guys would object..

Sunshine... Lighten up, polishing the tiara seems to have put a damper on your sense of humor. WVUFAN is from WEST VIRGINIA for crying out loud! You CAN'T expect him to be able to distinguish between his wife and his daughter! Be grateful he can distinguish overalls from a tux and dresses 'appropriately'!

:D;):D

I need to spend more time on the X boards. You guys are funny!

Obscure logic works for me...

I've never been on a cruise where at least 3 of your 1-5 aren't present... axiomatic. So obscure logic seems to call for one of three responses...

1) Don't cruise.

2) Don't invest much in it and enjoy the cruise.

3) Let it bother me, and bother me, grate at me so that I think about it, write about, and carry it about ad nauseum...

Now what's the 'logical' response... hmmm...

This discussion is not about who should cruise and why. It is about the thread entitled Formal Night Dilemma with No Solution, which we are currently on.

So you see, circling back to the beginning, the solution simply is to dress as stated and as a result of that personal desire then take into consideration the rules and decide on one of the myriad of alternate arrangments that are avalable as an accomodation made by the cruise line.

The hue and cry of No Solution was really the attention getter.:D

quote:

"As for "complaints from other ladies", I've not seen a female Maitre d' YET"!!

Ahhh....there is one female by the name of Ruby. She is from South

Africa and one of the nicest employees Celebrity has....male or female:)

I met her on Constellation back in 2004 and was fortunate enough to

see her again on Mercury but I can't remember which sailing;). Anyone see her

lately??

Oh, anyone who knows Bob, knows his post was a JOKE:D

Whenever my husband and I are invited to a formal wedding he always wears a tux while I wear a formal evening gown. Even though I sometimes wear a cocktail dress or dressy pants with a dressy top for formal night at sea, I would never dress that way for a formal land based function, and have noticed that other people don't either. Since Celebrity's guidelines include options for formal night that aren't appropriate for a land based event, I don't think it is a big deal if a man wants to expand his concept of what is acceptable to include a sports jacket with a tie.

This is always a discussion that provokes arguements.

Last year we cruised the Med on Royal Caribbean and DH took a sports jacket and slacks. We had two couples from the UK at our table who didn't even have jackets, but did we care?

Absolutely not!!

Why?

Because we enjoyed their company and they looked and smelled clean.

There were also four women from the US at our table and they didn't get terribly dressed up either.

I wore crepe pants and a fancy sweater and felt dressed enough.

I just want to interject and say that it is so refreshing to read a light-hearted, humerous take on the whole dress code issue.... I think the OP deserves special recognition for this.

I'm sure it brought a smile, and perhaps a few understanding nods, to many people on here... even the steadfast formal-wear enthusiasts :)

- Rick

Thanks. There are just some battles it's not worth fighting, and this is one of them.

BTW, this isn't a change in attitude for him. He wouldn't wear a tux when we got married either. Wore one for (1) his brother's wedding, (2) his sister's wedding, (3) our son's wedding, (4) our daughter's wedding. But not for ours. Believe it or not, I married him anyway and now divorcing him is just too much trouble <bg>. I'll pack a tie and enjoy the cruise whatever the dress code might be. If I should sneak comments about how handsome other men are in their formal wear, well, I figure that he can deal. <g>

M/R

If men knew how great they looked in a tux, they'd be wearng them six days a week. I'm happy that I "have" a man who respects me and loves me enough to want look dashing on our cruises. I am proud to say we wouldn't be having the discussion of "to tux or not to tux."

"Formal" is "formal," any dictionary will define it for you. Celebrity defines it very well too. If you go to a public area, simply read and comply. Unless, of course, you are above the rules. Funny how most of these posts seek "permission" to do something that doesn't conform to the Celebrity rules, guidlines, or whatever you wish to call them.

Thanks. There are just some battles it's not worth fighting, and this is one of them.

BTW, this isn't a change in attitude for him. He wouldn't wear a tux when we got married either. Wore one for (1) his brother's wedding, (2) his sister's wedding, (3) our son's wedding, (4) our daughter's wedding. But not for ours. Believe it or not, I married him anyway and now divorcing him is just too much trouble <bg>. I'll pack a tie and enjoy the cruise whatever the dress code might be. If I should sneak comments about how handsome other men are in their formal wear, well, I figure that he can deal. <g>

M/R

Well, you can a lead a husband to formalwear,...:o

I think that you have a great attitude, and a wonderful sense of humor.:)

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise (don't forget to "OOOH" and "AAHH" at all the tuxes;)).

Sunshine, strippers need love too;)

As her manner of dress apparently concerned you, I thought I would share one of our wedding photos so you could see that she doesn't always wear the other outfit.

hillbilly_wedding.jpg

Just for the record, we have been at sea on Celebrity for about 30 formal nights and have always dressed accordingly. We know which utensil to use, which water is ours, tip at least the recommended amount, don't chair hog, never cut in line, don't save chairs in the theater, and always arrive a the dinner on time, and don't smoke. Betcha I have as good a time as the rule breakers.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

My 19 Oct cruise on the Solstice leaves from and returns to Rome. It will have many Brits and other Europeans on board. Ignoring the dress code is a great opportunity to show the world that we really are the "Ugly Americans." I think we should put our best foot forward when the opportunity arises.

I'm happy that I "have" a man who respects me and loves me enough to want look dashing on our cruises. I am proud to say we wouldn't be having the discussion of "to tux or not to tux."

I never knew that was how love and respect were measured......apparently, there were certainly a lot of unloved women on our last cruise.....I wonder if they know that they are not loved or respected????? :D:D

Sunshine, strippers need love too;)

As her manner of dress apparently concerned you, I thought I would share one of our wedding photos so you could see that she doesn't always wear the other outfit.

hillbilly_wedding.jpg

Just for the record, we have been at sea on Celebrity for about 30 formal nights and have always dressed accordingly. We know which utensil to use, which water is ours, tip at least the recommended amount, don't chair hog, never cut in line, don't save chairs in the theater, and always arrive a the dinner on time, and don't smoke. Betcha I have as good a time as the rule breakers.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I guess that most people missed that my post was a joke too. I suspect that many of the complaints from women would be because they didn't like the competition more than because of the dress code violation.

Guess I should have used the :D emote.

ETA: Your wife sure got her figure back nicely after the 'wedding'.

I never knew that was how love and respect were measured......apparently, there were certainly a lot of unloved women on our last cruise.....I wonder if they know that they are not loved or respected????? :D:D

I thought you said you hadn't been on Celebrity yet. Am I mistaken?

I have to laugh at these posters claiming the OPs husband is disrespectful and unloving because he doesn't want to wear a tux or a suit.

There are plenty of abused and cheated on wives out there who wish their only problem was a sport jacket and slacks

I have to laugh at these posters claiming the OPs husband is disrespectful and unloving because he doesn't want to wear a tux or a suit.

There are plenty of abused and cheated on wives out there who wish their only problem was a sport jacket and slacks

Well it starts some where.:p

I sure am enjoying this thread!! If it was about the other issues mentioned (ie, smoking, holding of deck chairs, kids etc) I would be just as interested. My issue after reading all this is... will I be overdressed? I intend, on one of the formal nights, to wear a very formal dress indeed. Will I look out of place and could anyone tell me is there one night that is "more formal" than the others? Perhaps the final formal night?

I sure am enjoying this thread!! If it was about the other issues mentioned (ie, smoking, holding of deck chairs, kids etc) I would be just as interested. My issue after reading all this is... will I be overdressed? I intend, on one of the formal nights, to wear a very formal dress indeed. Will I look out of place and could anyone tell me is there one night that is "more formal" than the others? Perhaps the final formal night?

Hi:), I love to get dressed up on formal nights:D so I say go for it!

Will you look out of place? Not in my opinion and I bet you will receive

lots of compliments too:)

And I think both formal nights are formal so no, one is not "more formal"

although some folks might wear a looser fitting outfit on the 2nd one

due to all the eating that takes place between both nights;)

Archived