Thanks to all of you wonderful people here...

Your replies and comments have convinced us to defect to RCI. We're booking Freedom OTS Eastern Caribbean on 9/12/10. We've generally been Carnival cruisers, but have been convinced to try something different. WHile we've always had a good time on our cruises, and yes, we've loved every Carnival cruise (well, maybe not so much the Fantasy to the Bahamas), we're going to be brave and try Royal Caribbean. Thanks again for all of your help....it was a tough decision, as we are generally frugal shoppers, it was hard to pass up the less expensive Carnival prices. We had our mind set on Freedom OTS, glanced over the Carnival prices AGAIN, and we were really tempted.....But in the end, RCI is getting our money this time. We have 2 small children, our son will be 5 at sailing time, and our daughter will be 3, both are pretty well potty trained now, so that should not be an issue in a year from now. We were mostly looking for the kids' benefit, as my wife and I would have a good time on RCI or CCL, and the kids might too, but we thought the kids might really enjoy the H2O zone and watching people on the Flowrider and rock climbing wall (as they are both too small to enjoy them). We enjoy Coz, but were looking for something less port intensive than the Western Caribbean (maybe when they get older we'll do that one again). We think that CocoCay would be a good beach day for them, and we could also enjoy some beach time in Magen's Bay or head over to St John......maybe just shop in St Maarten. Thanks again for all of your opinions, good and bad.....guess we'll find out for ourselves.

Your replies and comments have convinced us to defect to RCI. We're booking Freedom OTS Eastern Caribbean on 9/12/10. We've generally been Carnival cruisers, but have been convinced to try something different. WHile we've always had a good time on our cruises, and yes, we've loved every Carnival cruise (well, maybe not so much the Fantasy to the Bahamas), we're going to be brave and try Royal Caribbean. Thanks again for all of your help....it was a tough decision, as we are generally frugal shoppers, it was hard to pass up the less expensive Carnival prices. We had our mind set on Freedom OTS, glanced over the Carnival prices AGAIN, and we were really tempted.....But in the end, RCI is getting our money this time. We have 2 small children, our son will be 5 at sailing time, and our daughter will be 3, both are pretty well potty trained now, so that should not be an issue in a year from now. We were mostly looking for the kids' benefit, as my wife and I would have a good time on RCI or CCL, and the kids might too, but we thought the kids might really enjoy the H2O zone and watching people on the Flowrider and rock climbing wall (as they are both too small to enjoy them). We enjoy Coz, but were looking for something less port intensive than the Western Caribbean (maybe when they get older we'll do that one again). We think that CocoCay would be a good beach day for them, and we could also enjoy some beach time in Magen's Bay or head over to St John......maybe just shop in St Maarten. Thanks again for all of your opinions, good and bad.....guess we'll find out for ourselves.

Hi A2Mich---Be prepared to fall in love. RC rocks. I have been on too many cruises to mention--Freedom OTS and others, and RC is my cruise line of choice. Your entire family will be awestruck and will enjoy everything about Freedom. Don't forget to get to the parades nice & early to get a "front row" view. Enjoy your cruise---it will be worth every $$$$.:)

You made a good choice. FOS is pretty much RCI's flagship right now. She is spectacular and unlike any other ship you have been on.

You will have a fantastic time....I guarantee it! ;)

Be sure to come back and give us all an honest comparison!

A2Mich, here is something else you may like about Royal. They just started this program for the kids. I was on Voyager of the Seas in May. The kids who are old enough, and your two would qualify; well u can take them to dinner with you; Royal guarantees the kids will get fed dinner in under 30 minutes; after that the Aqua kids, or Aqua tots counselors come to the dining room and pick up the kids. The kids go off and do activites for the night. This allows the parents to enjoy the rest of the dinner in the dining room; then take in the show afterwards; u get to spend the night alone and don't have to worry about the kids. Check this out when you sail next year.

Do not miss the ice show. It is spectacular...A big difference we found when we left CCL for RCI was that the bingo games are not played right before your nightly show. That made it nearly impossible to get seats if you did not get there early. On RCI you can walk in minutes before and have plenty of seating choices. We loved the flowrider on LOS,,,just make sure you wear a one piece or shorts and top over the bikini! Have a great time!

A2Mich, here is something else you may like about Royal. They just started this program for the kids. I was on Voyager of the Seas in May. The kids who are old enough, and your two would qualify; well u can take them to dinner with you; Royal guarantees the kids will get fed dinner in under 30 minutes; after that the Aqua kids, or Aqua tots counselors come to the dining room and pick up the kids. The kids go off and do activites for the night. This allows the parents to enjoy the rest of the dinner in the dining room; then take in the show afterwards; u get to spend the night alone and don't have to worry about the kids. Check this out when you sail next year.

Yes, thanks for the info....we had already found the info for My Family Time Dining, and plan to do that, though I'm not sure the procedure for enrolling the kids in Adventure Ocean, but will have to do some thread searching to find it. Our kids most definitely would not make it through 1-1/2 - 2 hours for dinner...I also see that Adventure Ocean has a new program where the kids can have lunch with their new friends in AO. We're trying to find options for the kids too. Of course we want to have a good time, but want them to have a good time as well, and find some new friends, and of course, we'll have family time together as well. It's just nice to have the options where if they don't want to leave AO for every meal, there are occasional options for them as well. I think we'll all have a good time. The kids have never cruised before, well, my son has, but he was only 11 months old and wouldn't remember his trip to Panama.

And yes, I promise I will write a review, though it's a LONG TIME from now (over a year). But in the meantime, I will be around here, asking an occasional question or two. Thank you all again.

In order to do the rock climbing, the ice skating, the in line skating and the golf you must be present with your kids, and you must sign a release. Since they do not take the kids to the pool or these activities, you may not want them there all day. The beauty of a cruise is that you can have family time and then adult time. I think there is a fee for the lunch with the AO.

We do commend Royal Carribean for the special activities geared towards the age groups. Many of the staff have their own children at home so they all know how special kids are.

The kids get to be pirates and play an active part in the Parade on the Promanade...

Dad & Mom: Don't forget the camera or video recorder...

Some of the staff offer babysitting services if you want to go to Chops or Portfino for dinner. There are many options for the kids.

The minute you board the ship, the staff put a bracelet on your child, and invite you to a special orientation meet with parents and kids to show you both the ropes. Royal Caribbean even publishes separate daily activity itineraries broken into different age categories.

Royal Carribbean private islands offer many activities for the family and children.

I can go on and on, but I will give other parents a chance to let you know of all the fun for all.....

Do please let us know of your adventure on a Royal Carribean ship.

Welcome to RCI. CocoCay is lovely and relaxing. Photos in the link below (Navigator - Grand Suite Album).

Wishing you and your family a wonderful cruise.

Kathy:)

Welcome to RC....you are going to have a fabulous time!

Once we found RC, there was no turning back for us. (if you look at my signature, you will see what I'm talking about).

We cannot wait to be back onto the Liberty in 41 days...:)

Welcome to RCI :) the kids will love the parade too that they have in the promenade on the first evening onboard and the last night of the cruise. Heck adults love the parade too.

Enjoy your cruise. I love Freedom class and was on the inaugural sailing of Freedom.

In order to do the rock climbing, the ice skating, the in line skating and the golf you must be present with your kids, and you must sign a release. Since they do not take the kids to the pool or these activities, you may not want them there all day. The beauty of a cruise is that you can have family time and then adult time. I think there is a fee for the lunch with the AO.

Sorry, I meant that "I" would like to try the rock-climbing, mini-golf, and FlowRider.......the kids will be too young (I already know that is the case). We had planned on spending family time with them at the pool H2O Zone.....we didn't plan on having the kids in AO all day anyways......would like to use AO for a few hour break here and there, but NOT for a fulltime babysitter. We enjoy family time with the kids, as well as some alone time, we're not the type of parent to dump the kids off at sailaway and pick them up when it's time to disembark....we're going to do some more research on the AO program in the next few months, as far as when and where we have to sign them up, etc. I know that AO issues their own Compasses/Programs. We don't mind at all picking up the kids for lunch, or paying the fee if they want to stay with the other kids......

Welcome to RCCL! I see you are from Michigan, come check out our Michiganders board in the FloatAway Lounge area. We have a great group of cruisers from various lines all from Michigan!

Thanks...will do....

Welcome to RCCL ... I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise. Nice to see that people are still saying A squared .... haven't been home in years, but it will always be home. Jan

As a matter of fact, I work for a heating and cooling company here, and we write so many invoices a day, we NEVER write out "Ann Arbor".....they always have A2, MI 481XX for the address.....

I have nothing to add, but hello to another Ann Arbor-ite!

Hi there.....you look familiar......not sure from where though....or maybe you remind me of someone I knew years ago.......

Be sure and check back on RCCL site frequently before you go to see if those fares have gone down. They will credit you for them. Or you could put the cruise on cruise shark and let him monitor it for you. Just google that last and you should find it. It's a great program that tracks fare reductions and discounts.

You could take a taxi to Mullet Bay in St Maarten. Or Simpsons Bay,

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/MulletBay.html

It's a lovely little beach with wonderful white sand all the way out, no rocks or coral no sea grass, and shallow for the kids. We love to go there, hardly anybody but locals. Only problem is you'd have to take a picnic hamper from the ship as there is no beach bar or cafe. It's just a little way from the port too. And on the way, tell the taxi driver to take you by the airport so you can see the fly overs.

As a matter of fact, I work for a heating and cooling company here, and we write so many invoices a day, we NEVER write out "Ann Arbor".....they always have A2, MI 481XX for the address.....

Used to be when sending a letter to someone else in town, didn't even have to write more than A2 on the envelope .... it was also cheaper to send letter in town than out of town.

Anyone have family members who graduated from Pioneer in 1969 to 1971? Jan

Used to be when sending a letter to someone else in town, didn't even have to write more than A2 on the envelope .... it was also cheaper to send letter in town than out of town.

Anyone have family members who graduated from Pioneer in 1969 to 1971? Jan

Now it's just as expensive to send a letter in town as anywhere else, surprised being A2 that it isn't even MORE expensive....Since Pfizer closed up here, U-M bought the Pfizer property on Plymouth Rd/Huron Pkwy, so now the city is considering imposing A2 city income taxes to help cover the offset in lost commercial taxes......if only they could find a way to get the university to pay taxes.......

If you knew anyone from Pioneer with the last name of Olive or Cartter, they may be related to us......

One of the last names graduated with my youngest sister (I believe).... its a small world .... I once ran into someone I knew in high school in a train in London .... airport in Connecticut and way up in Canada at a prov. park.

Anyway, to get back to the thread ..... welcome to RCI .... I hope you enjoy your cruise, you'll have to do a review and let us know what you think. I haven't done any of the largest ships (yet). Jan

Hi there.....you look familiar......not sure from where though....or maybe you remind me of someone I knew years ago.......

Ha - I do use this username EVERYwhere. Or maybe I've done business with your company! I am not, however, one of you rare natives. ;)

Now it's just as expensive to send a letter in town as anywhere else, surprised being A2 that it isn't even MORE expensive....Since Pfizer closed up here, U-M bought the Pfizer property on Plymouth Rd/Huron Pkwy, so now the city is considering imposing A2 city income taxes to help cover the offset in lost commercial taxes......if only they could find a way to get the university to pay taxes.......

If you knew anyone from Pioneer with the last name of Olive or Cartter, they may be related to us......

Of course, if there was no U, there would be no A2! Nor do I particularly want to pay city income taxes, until the city learns to maintain roads in winter!

And one of the places in town I find has the cleverest name is A2 Ice3. yep, Ann Arbor Ice Cube. Ha ha ha.

But you can see from my sig file I have a veeeeeeeeeeerrrrrry long time until my first RCI cruise. I'm still pretty excited. :)

Archived