I am Certain Princess would act differently

kruisey

The wife takes the Platter in her purse and I write the contact information into my pocket note book.

A few years ago I stopped to take photo in a heavy crowd in front of a church. The tour group walk off, down two blocks and then made a left turn down a side street.

I came very close to being on my own to get back to the ship. I Made a lucky guess on which way they departed and moved out at a very quick pace. I saw the sign the tour guide was holding up in the air as I passed the side street.

Made a believer out of me for both of us to have the contact information.

Bob

I watched the video and read the posts, but one thing I didn't see was why was she the only ONE delayed? She was on an island excursion? By herself? Does one always separate when touring? Me, I would not let my DH out of my sight, if I had children, they would be attached to my hip. NO way would I be touring by myself. Most of those store in the islands have websites, if you see something in passing, on your way to the ship, bypass it and go home and order it online. The waving and pleading for the ship to stop was pathetic, honey, if you see that ship a moving, you better be on the phone with a hotel website looking for a room, because there ain't no way that ship is gonna stop for you. Leaving your DH to decide whether to leave you or the kids, I would have left you and literally say bye bye to your irresponsibility. No wife and mother should or would put their family in that position.

From a thread on this in an FB NCL group, it was reported (without confirmation) that they returned from sightseeing and dad took tired kids back to ship while mom shopped a little more (and apparently either got lost or lost track of time). When the captain started calling for her on the PA, the father contacted Guest services and in consultation with them decided on the course of action they chose.

Might not be what I would do, but probably made sense at the time as one might think 'how hard could it be to spot her with everyone else back on board'.

As I said on the FB thread, I wouldn't want to imagine that night in the hotel and the trip back to NYC.

I never did find out if NCL helped with travel or paid for it (I hope the former) and NCL did provide free phone time for the kids to check in with the parents each day (which I do approve of!)

I watched the video and read the posts, but one thing I didn't see was why was she the only ONE delayed? She was on an island excursion? By herself? Does one always separate when touring? Me, I would not let my DH out of my sight, if I had children, they would be attached to my hip. NO way would I be touring by myself. Most of those store in the islands have websites, if you see something in passing, on your way to the ship, bypass it and go home and order it online. The waving and pleading for the ship to stop was pathetic, honey, if you see that ship a moving, you better be on the phone with a hotel website looking for a room, because there ain't no way that ship is gonna stop for you. Leaving your DH to decide whether to leave you or the kids, I would have left you and literally say bye bye to your irresponsibility. No wife and mother should or would put their family in that position.

From a thread on this in an FB NCL group, it was reported (without confirmation) that they returned from sightseeing and dad took tired kids back to ship while mom shopped a little more (and apparently either got lost or lost track of time). When the captain started calling for her on the PA, the father contacted Guest services and in consultation with them decided on the course of action they chose.

Might not be what I would do, but probably made sense at the time as one might think 'how hard could it be to spot her with everyone else back on board'.

As I said on the FB thread, I wouldn't want to imagine that night in the hotel and the trip back to NYC.

I never did find out if NCL helped with travel or paid for it (I hope the former) and NCL did provide free phone time for the kids to check in with the parents each day (which I do approve of!)

You know its also funny, no one mentioned any family member having a cell phone. So, how would they (kids) be contacting mom and dad from the ship, without knowing what their arrangements were?

On our last cruise last year on the Regal, we had absolutely no cell service for 10 days, our only means of communication, was the internet, and that was virtually non existant, the lines in the internet cafe were long, and if you had your own devise, you ate up your minutes watching the little hourglass go round and round. So, unless the parents called the ship directly ($$) from their hotel first. No one would know their whereabouts. NCL to me went above and beyond expectations.

Another thought....do cruise lines let you book future cruises with them IF you miss the ship?

Edited by myfuzzy

You know its also funny, no one mentioned any family member having a cell phone. So, how would they (kids) be contacting mom and dad from the ship, without knowing what their arrangements were?

Just because it wasn't mentioned doesn't mean mom and dad did not have cell phones.

Just because it wasn't mentioned doesn't mean mom and dad did not have cell phones.

In that case, IF she had one, wouldn't her family been on the phone with her early on to tell her it was time to go? And would they then have known where she was?

In that case, IF she had one, wouldn't her family been on the phone with her early on to tell her it was time to go? And would they then have known where she was?

Maybe, maybe not. Lots of folks take their cell phones with them for emergencies only. They leave them off to avoid international roaming charges and turn them on only if necessary. Certainly the mom didn't perceive an emergency as she didn't make it to the ship in time.

All that said, with the information from NCL's Facebook page, I'd suspect the husband, who had time to get passports and discuss the situation with the ship's staff, had time to grab a cell phone from the cabin.

Even if they didn't have cell phones, the ship's agent in port would facilitate the establishment of communication between the parents and the kids on the ship.

[quote=Loonbeam;49898875

Why should NCL pay for anything or even supply them with free phone time. It wasn't NCL's fault that they missed the boat but their own idiocy. Why reward idiocy with free stuff.

You may think that I should have some compassion for the parents but in this case I do not have any compassion.

DON

Why should NCL pay for anything or even supply them with free phone time. It wasn't NCL's fault that they missed the boat but their own idiocy. Why reward idiocy with free stuff.

You may think that I should have some compassion for the parents but in this case I do not have any compassion.

DON

If I saw anyone including yourself standing on the quayside left behind I would feel compassion for them,feel most of us would.

If I saw anyone including yourself standing on the quayside left behind I would feel compassion for them,feel most of us would.

I wouldn't expect anyone to feel compassion for me if I missed the ship. I'd know it was my own silly fault and I had no one to blame but myself!

Too bad they don't do a follow up on these stories. I would have wondered IF they would have been in NY to meet the ship and get their kids. A fly on the wall in the hotel and plane would have been fun too.

I think most people are compassionate. If someone had a medical problem (which doesn't seem to be the case, here as she was running with shopping bags down the pier), I would feel sorry for them if they missed the ship.

This isn't the case, here. The Mother left her kids, on the ship, presumably with their Father, who for inexplicable reasons, got off the ship too, leaving behind the kids with the Uncle. Now, the compassion I have is for the Uncle, who I'm sure had no plan on being a babysitter.

The Mother left at the pier? No compassion for her, at all, regardless of her academy worthy performance at the pier.

I wouldn't expect anyone to feel compassion for me if I missed the ship. I'd know it was my own silly fault and I had no one to blame but myself!

I guess some people just have big hearts and some don't.

I guess you and I went to different Sunday schools.

Please feel free to cry a river for this woman, if that is what you'd like to do.

You can ever start a Go Fund Me account if it makes you feel better. You can ask other compassionate folks to chip in to pay for their airfare home. :rolleyes:

In this case my compassion was for the kids, who didn't need to suffer for their mom's lack of whatever. With them being in an awkward situation, the line letting them check in is a decent thing to do.

DON