I am Certain Princess would act differently

kruisey

Everyone on the ship or the crew members yelling for them to hurry?

Big difference.

When the ship's horn is blowing you know the bridge is getting impatient.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In this case I feel bad for the stress the person endured, but absent something out of their control, no sympathy at all to their circumstances.

The ship waited an extra 30 mins beyond schedule departure (which means in most cases 90 mins past all aboard) and took all reasonable actions to ensure everyone's safety.

I am 100 percent certain that the cruise line offered to disembark the children as well and it was the father making that call as he expected to find his wife. I am also certain he had to sign some kind of form like one would do if someone else was traveling with their children.

I also hope the parents had to pay their own hotel and way home and claim trip insurance if needed.

And per the topic of this post, I would hope that Princess would do EXACTLY the same thing. Wait as long as they could without incurring excessive costs, provide reasonable accommodation and when the ship had to leave, leave...

Here is a suggestion for all who ever go ashore at any port. Before you get off the ship, look at the Princess Patter and copy down the name, phone number, address, etc. of the ship's port agent at that port. That way in case you, for any reason whatsoever, fail to make it back to the pier in time to catch the ship, you will have some way to get in touch with the one person at that port who is most likely to be able to help you obtain accommodations, transportation, whatever you need in your quest to get back on your departed ship or reach the next port where you can rejoin your cruise. That person (the port agent) has just become your best friend in the world and you need to be able to get in touch with him/her!

Tom

Nice. No matter how careful, no one knows what will happen.

I also hope the parents had to pay their own hotel and way home and claim trip insurance if needed.

And just imagine what they will have to go through if they do not have passports and also have minimal money as their credit cards are probably in the safe on board the ship. It will definitely teach them a lesson that they will not forget.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

And just imagine what they will have to go through if they do not have passports and also have minimal money as their credit cards are probably in the safe on board the ship. It will definitely teach them a lesson that they will not forget.

DON

On Princess, housekeeping accompanied by someone from security goes to the missing passengers' cabin and opens their safe. Providing that it where it is kept, their passports are taken off the ship by the Administrative Manager and handed over to the port agent on the pier. All onward travel arrangements are made with the assistance of the port agent and all expenses are billed to the passengers' onboard account.

Or maybe they have an impairment and can't run?

If they know they have an impairment and can't run, IMO...THEY should consider that in what time they head back to the ship...

Getting back on time is still the passenger's responsibility.

If they know they have an impairment and can't run, IMO...THEY should consider that in what time they head back to the ship...

Oh now you're just being reasonable and, on top of that, expecting personal responsibility.

Cheers.

Well, obviously, but what I was responding to was the suggestion that people who don't run are arrogant. There might be a dozen reasons why someone would be late back to the ship, one of which might include the inability to run. I guess the consensus here is that anyone who is late coming back to the ship is an arrogant you-know-what.

In Manzanillo, there is a very long pier that stretches from the parking area where tours are dropped off to the dock where the gangway is located. I once watched from the ship as a tour group arrived in a bus (and I don't really know if it was a Princess-sanctioned tour or not) at just about the cut-off time for returning. Among the passengers was a lady with a walker. I watched her make her way from the bus to the ship, hustling along with her walker as fast as I think she could manage, while others around her broke into a run, bypassing her and not offering her any help. She was the last one to reach the ship. I'm sure she would have been encouraged to know that the crowd on the ship watching her return were calling her arrogant for not running and irresponsible for taking a tour that returned late. Maybe those arrogant and irresponsible handicapped people should just stay home so they don't offend the sensibilities of some self-righteous cruisers who apparently never meet with any misfortune while cruising.

(Yes, I know this is not the situation from NCL. I am making a different point here.)

Well, obviously, but what I was responding to was the suggestion that people who don't run are arrogant. There might be a dozen reasons why someone would be late back to the ship, one of which might include the inability to run. I guess the consensus here is that anyone who is late coming back to the ship is an arrogant you-know-what.

In Manzanillo, there is a very long pier that stretches from the parking area where tours are dropped off to the dock where the gangway is located. I once watched from the ship as a tour group arrived in a bus (and I don't really know if it was a Princess-sanctioned tour or not) at just about the cut-off time for returning. Among the passengers was a lady with a walker. I watched her make her way from the bus to the ship, hustling along with her walker as fast as I think she could manage, while others around her broke into a run, bypassing her and not offering her any help. She was the last one to reach the ship. I'm sure she would have been encouraged to know that the crowd on the ship watching her return were calling her arrogant for not running and irresponsible for taking a tour that returned late. Maybe those arrogant and irresponsible handicapped people should just stay home so they don't offend the sensibilities of some self-righteous cruisers who apparently never meet with any misfortune while cruising.

(Yes, I know this is not the situation from NCL. I am making a different point here.)

shredie, I'm the one that made the original comment about walking, not running and being arrogant.

What you saw regarding the woman with the walker and no one stopped to help, well thats just sad.

My dad has mobility issues and can't even use a walker anymore, so I understand.

That's not what I was talking about, however if a person is mobility impaired and out shopping on their own, then they should mind the time the same as everyone else.

The comment I was making was that in my experience in Puerto Vallarta several times, it was probably 45 minutes past all on board, the crew standing waiting to release the lines and pull up the gangway, and a few stragglers, not people on tours, were just walking normally, like not even trying to hurry. People from the ship were telling them to run and they just smile and wave.

To me, that's seems arrogant. I would be at least attempting to move with urgency.

Exactly, I have a mental disability which prevents me from doing lots of things quickly or smoothly. Does that mean I don't have to be on time, or adhere to rules and regs.No it dosent,it means my life is run via, procedures and medication and a organised partner.

The responsible, irresponsible and responsibility, word is getting used a lot,10 hrs ago in another thread, I was scathed for using it, must be ok now.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

But what is really crazy,:) is this woman carrying on about her kids being left on board without her,when isn't that what she did hrs earlier when she left the ship,for how long nobody knows.:)

Exactly, I have a mental disability which prevents me from doing lots of things quickly or smoothly. Does that mean I don't have to be on time, or adhere to rules and regs.No it dosent,it means my life is run via, procedures and medication and a organised partner.

The responsible, irresponsible and responsibility, word is getting used a lot,10 hrs ago in another thread, I was scathed for using it, must be ok now.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

But what is really crazy,:) is this woman carrying on about her kids being left on board without her,when isn't that what she did hrs earlier when she left the ship,for how long nobody knows.:)

Wish I had known a lot earlier you could leave kids and go shopping. Too late for me, my kids are in their forties. Cruising in June with my daughter, maybe I will leave her on board. Lol (she probably thinks she should leave me on board)

On Princess, housekeeping accompanied by someone from security goes to the missing passengers' cabin and opens their safe. Providing that it where it is kept, their passports are taken off the ship by the Administrative Manager and handed over to the port agent on the pier. All onward travel arrangements are made with the assistance of the port agent and all expenses are billed to the passengers' onboard account.

However, since it is a closed loop cruise, they do not need a passport as long as they return to the disembarkation point on the ship. I would bet a significant amount of bucks that these people do not have passports. In this case, they can not just get on a plane and get back to the US. They need to go to a US embassy office to get the documents that will let them get back to the states. Who knows if there is a US embassy officer in Nassau. I am sure that this process will take several days and once they are off the ship, Princess no longer has any responsibility for them. They are on their own.

Events like this are the reason that smart travelers always travel with a passport.

Even with all this, I still have no sympathy with them as they brought on their problems themselves.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I guess the consensus here is that anyone who is late coming back to the ship is an arrogant you-know-what.

Maybe people have read this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48524163&postcount=1

I hate going on ship tours that stop for shopping, as you always

have to wait for people who are late. Somehow, I don't think all

of them have some sort of medical condition that prevents them

from returning on time.

In fact, I've noticed the opposite -- the people who have trouble walking,

or are in wheelchairs are frequently among the first returning.

The ship had to do what the ship had to do, and it was kind to have waited as long as it did. Of course it's sad they missed the ship, but it's the wife's fault for returning late, and such is life. I personally would have kept my children with me for safety. DH and I do not separate onshore; we are in everything together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Maybe people have read this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48524163&postcount=1

I hate going on ship tours that stop for shopping, as you always

have to wait for people who are late. Somehow, I don't think all

of them have some sort of medical condition that prevents them

from returning on time.

In fact, I've noticed the opposite -- the people who have trouble walking,

or are in wheelchairs are frequently among the first returning.

That was my mom... She had some significant mobility impairments, but was always on time. Knowing that she was slower than the average bear, she planned to be back at least 30- 60 minutes early for tours, etc... She always carried a book or a game to aid in the waiting.

A 30 minute delay due to late passengers boarding.

To condemn the woman before an explanation is very wrong.

Things can happen.

both ways.

So does your (the) defense/support though too. We don't know if she just had to do more and more shopping and lost track of time. If she was in the hospital I'm sure her husband would not have had to go looking for her and then her standing with shopping bags.

I'm sorry the ship left her without her kids but unless she comes up with a reasonable reason for not being back on board then my vote goes to the over 3,000 people she inconvenienced because of actions.

I have some sympathy for the family, but it is entirely their fault. As others have mentioned there is a real cost to the cruise line for delaying the departure.

One thing no one else has mentioned: What would happen to a cruise line that gained a reputation for waiting for late passengers. I believe that you would have passengers showing up hours late. You would have many, many people take advantage.

The only way to impress upon some people that arriving on time important is to have a zero tolerance for lateness policy.

I have only been on two cruises, but both times I was shocked as we watched from our balcony as people sauntered up with minutes to spare. If people act like this knowing the ship will sail on time, what would they do if they knew the ship would wait?

Agree 100%! 😑

That's not what I was talking about, however if a person is mobility impaired and out shopping on their own, then they should mind the time the same as everyone else.

The comment I was making was that in my experience in Puerto Vallarta several times, it was probably 45 minutes past all on board, the crew standing waiting to release the lines and pull up the gangway, and a few stragglers, not people on tours, were just walking normally, like not even trying to hurry. People from the ship were telling them to run and they just smile and wave.

To me, that's seems arrogant. I would be at least attempting to move with urgency.

What the ship should have done is wait until the people were within maybe 50 ft of the gangway and then they should have pulled in the gangway and left them there. It provides a much better lesson for them to just barely miss the ship as opposed to having them arrive at the dock and seeing no ship.

Want to bet that some of them might actually jump into the water in the hope that the ship would pick them up..

DON