A longtime Princess cruiser tries out Royal Caribbean

Vexorg

Glad to see this thread. We started cruising on Princess but changed to RCI many years ago. We're now Diamond and really appreciate the 3 free drinks at night, discounts, and their ships (have not been on any of the mega ships and probably will not). However, their service has just gotten terrible. We recently spent 10 days on Serenade OTS and had so many problems that really tainted our vacation. We're going on Coral Princess for a short cruise in a week and we'll compare our experiences before booking our next longer trip.

We will see you on Coral next week!

We follow the two Princess cruises this year with a Royal Caribbean big ship, Liberty of the Seas in July. It has been 9 years since we sailed with RC and much has changed. We'll see what the voyage brings.

Each of these cruise lines is part of a major cruise operator. Royal is the bottom of the pecking order, while Princess is one step up -- so it would be more comparable to try Celebrity. Depending on the cruise date, bargain pricing can bring Celebrity below Princess (or not). The size and ambience of Celebrity ships is more comparable to Princess (except Royal/Regal). So if Princess itineraries are getting old hat, this would be another option -- except for Alaska (only Princess can do Glacier Bay) and the Panama Canal (Celebrity doesn't do partial transits into Gatun Lake).

You know this having never stepped foot on one?

My vote goes Princess.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Appreciate your answer I have only sailed RCI and NCL. So my Princess cruise will be my first.

Edited by AF-1

You know this having never stepped foot on one?

In the same way I know that Chevy was at the bottom of the GM pecking order -- because the corporation says so. Don't get so defensive: it doesn't mean Royal is bad, just that management sees it as the level for those who want the lowest prices. Royal - Celebrity - Azamara: would you seriously put them in any other order?

I have sailed with multiple cruise lines and have multiple sailings on both Princess and RC.

The one (1) thing I wish Princess would do is allow for anytime dinning users to set up reservations on their website like RC does. This is just one step closer to not having to jump thru hoops when you board on the first day.

The experience on both cruise lines was extremely enjoyable and I would do either depending on the itinerary.

In the same way I know that Chevy was at the bottom of the GM pecking order -- because the corporation says so. Don't get so defensive: it doesn't mean Royal is bad, just that management sees it as the level for those who want the lowest prices. Royal - Celebrity - Azamara: would you seriously put them in any other order?

That's absolutely the order for RCCL. But carnival Corp has more lines and it doesn't necessarily mean you can compare them in that order across corporations-- the second to the lowest of one to the same of the other. Doesn't work that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Royal Caribbean allows one bottle of wine or champagne per person like Pruncess. What's different is that they DON'T charge a fee to open and pour your bottle in the dining room.

We also started with RCI in 1986. My first big RCI ship experience will be in July on the Liberty of the Seas. It will be interesting to compare to the 2 recent Princess ships I have been on.

Actually Royal Allows 2 bottles per cabin...even if there is only 1 person in the cabin...which as a solo cruiser I appreciate.

That's absolutely the order for RCCL. But carnival Corp has more lines and it doesn't necessarily mean you can compare them in that order across corporations-- the second to the lowest of one to the same of the other. Doesn't work that way.

Not with their European lines, no -- but Carnival is very clear that the US line-up goes: Carnival - Princess - HAL - Seabourn. [Princess fans hate this, because they don't consider HAL "better" -- but that's what Carnival says. I guess this is how it was with the old GM: I could never tell whether Buick or Olds was supposed to be "better" -- but I do remember that GM knew exactly how they ranked.]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Not with their European lines, no -- but Carnival is very clear that the US line-up goes: Carnival - Princess - HAL - Seabourn. [Princess fans hate this, because they don't consider HAL "better" -- but that's what Carnival says. I guess this is how it was with the old GM: I could never tell whether Buick or Olds was supposed to be "better" -- but I do remember that GM knew exactly how they ranked.]

Right-- but exactly what I said was that you cannot compare across corporations-- so you cannot say that carnival compares to royal because they are both on the bottom, or Royal to princess because they are third from the top-- which was what you did.

Having sailed multiple times on the Main cruise lines, I cannot understand why people rate Princess higher then Celebrity or Royal. For those who like to cruise, the experience of being on a cruise ship IMO means as much, if not more then the ports you spend 6-8 hours at. If you truly want intense tours you are much better served by a good land tour company. Just my opinion and not shared by all I am sure. If you want good accommodations, food, entertainment - the whole experience you choose the best ship and stateroom you can afford that meets your needs and budget.

Having sailed multiple times on the Main cruise lines, I cannot understand why people rate Princess higher then Celebrity or Royal. For those who like to cruise, the experience of being on a cruise ship IMO means as much, if not more then the ports you spend 6-8 hours at. If you truly want intense tours you are much better served by a good land tour company. Just my opinion and not shared by all I am sure. If you want good accommodations, food, entertainment - the whole experience you choose the best ship and stateroom you can afford that meets your needs and budget.

After numerous cruises, Princess is DEFINITELY higher quality level than Royal Caribbean, but I think RCI is better for families. Princess is better for couples or singles, and definitely ranks on a level with Celebrity.

As I noted earlier, there are things to like about both Princess and Royal Caribbean, but Princess is definitely the best fit for us. Celebrity is on a very equal level of quality and service, but simply a different theme, and is our second favorite, even though it is a bit more expensive than Princess. (And Princess has the FAR SUPERIOR loyalty program.)

For the right itinerary and schedule, I wouldn't hesitate to go on any of the three (there's another unnamed that we will never go on again). But if all else equal, I will always take Princess over RCI. Our most recent RCI cruise was to see what the non-monster ships had to offer from our last several years ago. It reinforced our tendency to look for Princess first.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

Thanks for your review. Our first choice in cruise line has evolved over the years, with RC being our first choice until their ships got too big, then Celebrity for many years until their itineraries paled in comparison to Princess, where we've mostly stayed for ten years. But now Princess ships are getting too big and their itineraries in the Caribbean are feeling stale...where to next?

I do like that RC/Celebrity/Azamara recognizes the highest level in any one loyalty program on the other lines. So because we are Elite on Celebrity, we are Diamond on RC and Discoverer level on Azamara (with savings, free cruise nights, limited internet and laundry), without ever having stepped foot on an Azamara ship. If the Carnival Corp brands ever did the same (and even if they don't), I can see us moving to HAL over time for their smaller ships.

As for an Alaska cruise...Princess. Definitely.

As a long time Princess cruiser and now an Elite, I did a short (5 day) cruise last year and was totally turned off by RCI. I probably will not give them another chance either.

First, upon boarding, my daughters suitcase was delivered to our stateroom about 3 p.m. but they held my bag and didn't even let me know that they were holding it in the "naughty room". I asked my stateroom steward several times and was told not to worry, it would come. I finally found it about 9 p.m. (still they didn't even let me know where it was) and after opening it for them they told me that I could take it. Nothing in it that they do not allow so I was very mad that they didn't even tell me what they suspected was in it. They didn't even offer to help me take it to my stateroom I wheeled it there myself thru the whole ship.

We went to the bar and asked for a daiquiri and could not get one at any of the ships bars. I don't think this is too exotic a drink to order, but I was told that they don't make them unless it is the "days special"

I also miss the refrigerator that I always have on the Princess ships.

My daughter was VERY disappointed that they did not have Lox & Cream Cheese for breakfast. She rarely gets it so she always orders it on a cruise.

I was surprised that I couldn't get cranberry juice for breakfast.

I like to relax and just "veg out" on a cruise so I like to scan the library for a good book. No library! They did have about 5 books on a shelf next to the ice cream bar.

So you see these are some of the reasons I will stay with Princess Cruise Line . Also I like the idea of a cruise ship and not a Theme park with all the rides.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I have done 2 cruise with RCCL and the last one confirmed that I am not a big fan of them. (I decided not to make a full judgement on my 4 day on the Majesty of the Seas).

I prefer Carnival over RCCL... but Princess has been my favourite (and I'm excited to return to them)

The biggest thing I think RCCL lacks on is entertainment. I love shows and I find the ones they play are boring and unimpressive. (including costumes, dancing, sets) and the specialty entertainment they bring on is also lacking. On previous cruises I would sometimes go to both shows because I loved them so much, on RCCL I left early and stopped going.

Food I find the MDR comparable (especially between Carnival and RCCL) but I love the International Café on Princess. (Pizza on Princess is also better, imho)

RCCL was the first time I found myself bored on a ship... so I will not be jumping to go on them again, with the exception of one of the new ships like Oasis or Allure (just to experience the ship)

I am excited to be back with Princess again this winter and I'm excited to try Celebrity for the first time this summer... ultimately I love the saying, a bad day on a ship is better than being at work.

First, upon boarding, my daughters suitcase was delivered to our stateroom about 3 p.m. but they held my bag and didn't even let me know that they were holding it in the "naughty room". I asked my stateroom steward several times and was told not to worry, it would come. I finally found it about 9 p.m. (still they didn't even let me know where it was) and after opening it for them they told me that I could take it. Nothing in it that they do not allow so I was very mad that they didn't even tell me what they suspected was in it. They didn't even offer to help me take it to my stateroom I wheeled it there myself thru the whole ship.

We went to the bar and asked for a daiquiri and could not get one at any of the ships bars. I don't think this is too exotic a drink to order, but I was told that they don't make them unless it is the "days special"

I also miss the refrigerator that I always have on the Princess ships.

My daughter was VERY disappointed that they did not have Lox & Cream Cheese for breakfast. She rarely gets it so she always orders it on a cruise.

I was surprised that I couldn't get cranberry juice for breakfast.

I like to relax and just "veg out" on a cruise so I like to scan the library for a good book. No library! They did have about 5 books on a shelf next to the ice cream bar.

Sounds like you didn't have a great experience:

1. Did you ask for the bag to be sent up for you? I've had this happen and no problem getting it sent up.

2. That's ridiculous about the daquiri-- I think I would have looked to speak with the bar manager. I've never heard such a ridiculous thing!

3. I've had lox and bagel on every Royal ship I've been on.

4. My first Royal cruise I asked for an ice bucket. When the stateroom attendant saw that I was chilling drinks, a refrigerator appeared. I also had one on my B2b on Liberty. They do exist on some ships!

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I have done 2 cruise with RCCL and the last one confirmed that I am not a big fan of them. (I decided not to make a full judgement on my 4 day on the Majesty of the Seas).

I prefer Carnival over RCCL... but Princess has been my favourite (and I'm excited to return to them)

The biggest thing I think RCCL lacks on is entertainment. I love shows and I find the ones they play are boring and unimpressive. (including costumes, dancing, sets) and the specialty entertainment they bring on is also lacking. On previous cruises I would sometimes go to both shows because I loved them so much, on RCCL I left early and stopped going.

Food I find the MDR comparable (especially between Carnival and RCCL) but I love the International Café on Princess. (Pizza on Princess is also better, imho)

RCCL was the first time I found myself bored on a ship... so I will not be jumping to go on them again, with the exception of one of the new ships like Oasis or Allure (just to experience the ship)

I am excited to be back with Princess again this winter and I'm excited to try Celebrity for the first time this summer... ultimately I love the saying, a bad day on a ship is better than being at work.

The shows on the freedom and oasis class ships will truly impress you. have sailed on both lines including crown and caribbean princess in addition to the others. No cruise line compares to the RC ships I suggested in the entertainment area. Princess is old hat tyical cruise line medicore grade c entertainment. No broadway show ,water show, ice skating show etc. while our favorite cruise line is celebrity, the shows are similar to Princess. Medicore entertainment

Edited by Cruise a holic

After numerous cruises, Princess is DEFINITELY higher quality level than Royal Caribbean, but I think RCI is better for families. Princess is better for couples or singles, and definitely ranks on a level with Celebrity.

As I noted earlier, there are things to like about both Princess and Royal Caribbean, but Princess is definitely the best fit for us. Celebrity is on a very equal level of quality and service, but simply a different theme, and is our second favorite, even though it is a bit more expensive than Princess. (And Princess has the FAR SUPERIOR loyalty program.)

For the right itinerary and schedule, I wouldn't hesitate to go on any of the three (there's another unnamed that we will never go on again). But if all else equal, I will always take Princess over RCI. Our most recent RCI cruise was to see what the non-monster ships had to offer from our last several years ago. It reinforced our tendency to look for Princess first.

What is far superior compared to Royal Caribbean?

Interesting... we started off our cruising with RCCL, back in the l980s... when they started to build bigger ship in the late l980s, we were able to take a tour on a new ship in San Francisco in port via our TA... cabins were smaller, beds less than standard size and very small balconies at the time. So we never went back to RCCL... we cruised on Princess, HAL, Cystal, Cunard, NCL, Celebrity... prefer Princess, HAL, and the smaller Cunard ships presently.

What is the alcohol policy on RCCL by the way? We like being able to bring wine on board.... don't know if RCCL allows?

I started off on RCL also and took many cruises with them. Back in the day they were more upscale than Norwegian and Carnival, and they were more expensive as well. Then over the years it seemed to me that they just spent more on the big glitzy ships while cramming more and more cabins in to each. Then the upscaleness slowly disappeared and what we were left with was feeling like we were treated like cattle on a glitzy ship. I haven't sailed RCL in 6+ years and I never will again. There are too many better options elsewhere. If there is one thing I will never put up with on a vacation its having to wait in long lines for everything, and search and search for a clean table to sit, like looking for a parking space the day before Christmas. Life is too short.

On the low-end, I think Norwegian does a real good job, and Carnival is fine too, but Norwegian wins because they do less "selling" on board.

Edited by ano