Minors in adjacent (but not connecting) rooms - RCL

I am traveling in two weeks with my two minor children on RCL next month. We had booked 2 cabins next door to each other with one adult and one minor in each. It now appears that the other adult can't go (sudden injury). I have confirmed on the phone a number of times that a minor (my kids are 12 & 14 in case relevant) can be in a cabin alone as long as the parent is in the next room (even without connecting cabins), but my agent called to check and was told something different. When I called RCL, they cited a berthing example in the KDR article of sailing age requirements to say I was fine. I don't want to show-up at embarkation and have a problem. Anyone have any experience with this?

When booking our entire extended family for a cruise next March, we were told that and adult MUST be booked in each cabin. That is the only information I have. Perhaps take a girlfriend along as your second adult since the cabin is already paid for?

We had adjoining promenade cabins on Liberty, with the adults in one cabin, and our 11-year-old twins in the cabin next door. We had no problems at all booking the kids in their own cabin. This was a family reunion cruise and we there were 3 other families in our group with the same cabin setup.

We get extra room keys for each cabin whenever we don't have a connecting door.

When booking our entire extended family for a cruise next March, we were told that and adult MUST be booked in each cabin. That is the only information I have. Perhaps take a girlfriend along as your second adult since the cabin is already paid for?

As mentioned above this is not 100% accurate. Minors can be booked in a cabin next to or across the hall from their parents. If you are talking about other relationships than parent/child the rules are different, is this your case?

We have booked our kids next to or across the hall many times, however it cannot be done online but must be done over the phone. Some TAs will tell you it can't because they do not want to deal with it but it can be done.

The only advantage to booking adults in each room is that it allows you to bring on more wine since it is by cabin.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

As mentioned above this is not 100% accurate. Minors can be booked in a cabin next to or across the hall from their parents. If you are talking about other relationships than parent/child the rules are different, is this your case?

We have booked our kids next to or across the hall many times, however it cannot be done online but must be done over the phone. Some TAs will tell you it can't because they do not want to deal with it but it can be done.

The only advantage to booking adults in each room is that it allows you to bring on more wine since it is by cabin.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

This is correct...

I am cruising soon and have two rooms booked for myself, my husband, and our two minor teenage children. I didn't want connecting rooms, as I wanted my husband and I to have more privacy than connecting rooms would offer. On our last cruise, we had connecting rooms and the doors would not lock, so I wasn't a big fan of that. This time (and last time), I was told over the phone by RCI that I must book an adult in each room, but can reconfigure the sleeping arrangements on board. They had no issue with my kids sleeping in a separate room. This time we are doing non-adjoining cabins side by side. We will ask the room attendant to take down the balcony partition, therefore making the cabins adjoin when we would like them to. My husband and I will have keys to both rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am cruising soon and have two rooms booked for myself, my husband, and our two minor teenage children. I didn't want connecting rooms, as I wanted my husband and I to have more privacy than connecting rooms would offer. On our last cruise, we had connecting rooms and the doors would not lock, so I wasn't a big fan of that. This time (and last time), I was told over the phone by RCI that I must book an adult in each room, but can reconfigure the sleeping arrangements on board. They had no issue with my kids sleeping in a separate room. This time we are doing non-adjoining cabins side by side. We will ask the room attendant to take down the balcony partition, therefore making the cabins adjoin when we would like them to. My husband and I will have keys to both rooms.

Not surprising that even some of Royals reps do not know the correct policy. We've had no issues in booking the kids in their own cabin beside us and also across the hall.

I was on anthem last month. My 11 year old daughters were in the room next to us. We did not have the connecting Door. Girls were booked in one cabin. DH and I in the other.

We had friends on the cruise who had their 3 daughter 11, 9 & 4 in the connecting cabin next to them. Booked that way as well.

Not surprising that even some of Royals reps do not know the correct policy. We've had no issues in booking the kids in their own cabin beside us and also across the hall.

Figures. :). I guess as long as they let them move, I don't care what they say. It does worry me though, that one of these days I'll get screwed by wrong info. It's a little unsettling when you spend so much money with them! Can I pay extra for peace of mind? [emoji846]

We are sailing Harmony next week April 1st and have four teens staying in Boardwalk Balcony and my wife and I across the hall in overview Balcony. We booked a parent in each room but will switch once on board. We have done this several times on OAS, AOS and FOS. The ages are 20, 20, 18 and 17.

I don't foresee a problem.

We almost did this but decided not to (I was uncomfortable with non connecting). But it seems that Royal considers a child only 12 and under. Since we didn't book so can't confirm we would have booked our 13 and 9 year old (age when we cruise) in one room

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

We almost did this but decided not to (I was uncomfortable with non connecting). But it seems that Royal considers a child only 12 and under. Since we didn't book so can't confirm we would have booked our 13 and 9 year old (age when we cruise) in one room

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

The 12 year age only applies to things like kids club, cheaper meals at specialty restaurants, Chester shore excursions etc.., it has nothing to do with kids in their own cabins. We have had the kids in their own cabins when they were under 12 and over 12.

We are in a similar situation (booking connecting rooms with 2 kids in one and parents in other), and I was also told by a travel agent recently that another advantage to booking an adult in each room and switching once onboard is that when online registration for excursions and shows comes available, the site doesn't let you book if a room has only minors in it. She said if we put both kids in their own room now, that we'd have to call to book any shows or excursions for them. I haven't experienced this first hand yet but would be curious if others knew whether this was accurate info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are in a similar situation (booking connecting rooms with 2 kids in one and parents in other), and I was also told by a travel agent recently that another advantage to booking an adult in each room and switching once onboard is that when online registration for excursions and shows comes available, the site doesn't let you book if a room has only minors in it. She said if we put both kids in their own room now, that we'd have to call to book any shows or excursions for them. I haven't experienced this first hand yet but would be curious if others knew whether this was accurate info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had no problem booking shows and excursions for the kids. I always start with the adults room and add guests from another reservation.

For those who may be curious, here's what Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy says:

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

When we cruised with our sons when they were minors, we booked them into their own cabin that connected to ours. Not a problem whatsoever.

I've booked two cabins next door to each other. Me and my husband, daughter (17) and daughters friend (17). I've booked myself and daughters friend in one and my husband and daughter in the other. Gonna swap around once on board, but was concerned that I wouldn't have a key for my room cos my key would be for next door can't swap passes cos mines got deluxe drink package on it!!

Is it possible to get a spare key?

My friends daughter 17 and her boyfriend 18 went on a cruise together with no adult, was surprised they were allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The 12 year age only applies to things like kids club, cheaper meals at specialty restaurants, Chester shore excursions etc.., it has nothing to do with kids in their own cabins. We have had the kids in their own cabins when they were under 12 and over 12.

Actually a 12 year old is in the stern club not kid's club, and is charged adult prices for shore excursions.

On our last cruise, we had connecting rooms and the doors would not lock, so I wasn't a big fan of that.

I certainly hope you had maintenance in to fix that! Imagine the next cruisers who aren't family.

My friends daughter 17 and her boyfriend 18 went on a cruise together with no adult, was surprised they were allowed.

It wasn't a Royal sailing I'm sure.

We are in a similar situation (booking connecting rooms with 2 kids in one and parents in other), and I was also told by a travel agent recently that another advantage to booking an adult in each room and switching once onboard is that when online registration for excursions and shows comes available, the site doesn't let you book if a room has only minors in it.

Not accurate. I just booked stuff for my two GD (5&3) who are in their own cabin connecting to their parents.

Yes they can.

Just off Harmony - had 2 Boardwalk Balconies and from the get-go DH and I were booked in 1 cabin, kids (17 and 14) in the other. We have also booked previous cruises with 1 adult, 1 child per cabin and just switched onboard. We did have our room steward open the balcony partition so we went freely from one cabin to the other. However, it is easy to get a replacement card from Guest Services if you want one to their cabin. You should have no problem......;)

Actually a 12 year old is in the stern club not kid's club, and is charged adult prices for shore excursions.

I certainly hope you had maintenance in to fix that! Imagine the next cruisers who aren't family.

It wasn't a Royal sailing I'm sure.

No it was Royal Caribbean out of Southampton