Compass Rose Largest Specialty Restaurant at Sea

WesW

We, too, are enormously excited about this new concept in CR of the greatly-expanded and wonderfully-versatile "Always Available" offerings. Gee, now I won't have to order a main dish that I don't really want simply to get to have the side of potatoes gratin that I like so much.

A question for those who have already experienced this concept on Explorer or Navigator:

Has the introduction of the expanded Always Available menu resulted in a noticeable diminution of the choices in the changing daily menu?

Frankly, even if so, we anticipate that this new approach will be a great success. As others have noted, it reduces the concern about getting multiple reservations at the actual specialty venues.

Edited by freddie

Has the introduction of the expanded Always Available menu resulted in a noticeable diminution of the choices in the changing daily menu?

We just came off of Navigator in July and didn't notice any reduction in the menu choices. But then again, I can always find something I like so maybe I just didn't notice...

It's a done deal on the Explorer and the Navigator, will be on the Voyager shortly - after dry-dock - and on the Mariner in the spring - after dry-dock.

The new menu was outstanding on the Explorer over the summer and the service great as well.

Peggy

Just off the Navigator after 28 days. This was the first 28 days of the new menu on the Navigator. There were a few problems the first week or so, the worst being the new electronic ordering system for the waiters as it was unable to cope with all the variations and choices offered, the electronic system has been dropped and they have gone back to the programme vendors for an update or even a complete new programme. There was also problems with the temperature of the food served but this has been solved. On the odd occasion they did have problems seating everyone and this was not only after a show. Overall the menu is excellent and even after 28 days it was still difficult to make a final selection for dinner as there were so many choices and variations. I should also mention the Italian restaurant which again had a wonderful menu with many choices and main courses and pasta did change every other day. Prime7 is Prime7 and still offers a very good menu.

The wine selections offered at all outlets was of a very good standard every night

Overall Regent have set a very high standard and other cruise lines in this category will find it hard to beat

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I hope the new menu will still allow the chefs some flexibility to provide 'Destination Dishes' to reflect the flavours and produce of the areas visited. It's always been our favourite choice.

I agree. This new concept will allow some creativity for the Executive chef. Menus and recipes are tightly controlled by Miami (info obtained on a galley tour). This assures consistency and correct provisioning. However, a bit mind-numbing for a chef, in my opinion. I always ordered the destination dishes and I was never disappointed. In Alaska, I remember an Irish sous chef curing fresh salmon using his mother's recipe. It was outstanding and was far superior to the packaged salmon on the breakfast buffet!

We are too. (A bright young lawyer I know overturned California's foie gras ban, apparently forever). I would assume it is still available at Chartreuse, Prme 7, and on certain nights or upon request at Compass Rose.

We are too. (A bright young lawyer I know overturned California's foie gras ban, apparently forever). I would assume it is still available at Chartreuse, Prme 7, and on certain nights or upon request at Compass Rose.

We use to eat foie grass but now we don't due to the force feeding mistreatment.....have a look at some videos how horrible this is. I won't post them here but you can google it yourself. Disgusting.

We use to eat foie grass but now we don't due to the force feeding mistreatment.....have a look at some videos how horrible this is. I won't post them here but you can google it yourself. Disgusting.

Not sure I agree with you on the disgusting part. Years back, I had occasion to visit a traditional family farming operation in France where they produced geese and ducks for the foie gras market. At feeding time, those animals not only didn't resist the feeding procedure, they ran to the feed stations as fast as their little webbed feet could carry them.

Chacun a son gout.

That's great. Is it possible for someone to post the C R menu, in particular the all time favourites.

Eliana,

Here's a link to the Regent US website page about the new menus in Compass Rose. The page contains sample menus. The top half of the dinner menus contain the always available items. (https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/compass-rose/)

I hope you can access this link from the UK. If you cannot access the page, I've attached samples of the new menus for lunch, dinner and dessert.

Hope this helps.

CR_Dinner_Menu_1.pdf

CR_Lunch_Menu_1.pdf

CR_Dessert_Menu_3.pdf