Gala Night with tween boys

Moparop

We have a multi-generation cruise to Alaska on Zaandam in July. We got our cruise documents today and we got an email from my dad, the planner of the trip, that a collared shirt and nice pants would not be enough for the men in the group. He thought they should have at least a sports coat and tie. The email didn't say anything about my 11 and 13 year old. Are most boys that age wearing polo style shirts, oxfords, sports jackets or suits? I'm fine with whatever, I just need to know!

On family trips our 13 yo grandson usually wears a white dress shirt to the dining room and a blazer, bow tie and khakis if we go to Pinnacle on gala nights. It depends...some times he is ok dressing up and sometimes it is just not worth the struggle. Dinner is usually more fun if everyone is happy. Especially on a summer cruise, things are fairly relaxed. Hope this helps. Most of all, have fun together!

Maybe you ought to check with your dad. Since he stated that collared shirts and khakis were not sufficient (although the cruise line says they are) maybe he wants a fancy family portrait or something.

HAL's dress code for Gala nights -- very relaxed.

We have noticed the last couple of years that the majority of men wear slacks and a collared shirt on Gala nights -- even in the specialty restaurants. Very few wear jackets and tie and only a handful wear a tuxedo.

The boys will be fine in slacks and collared shirt.

They'll need a collared shirt and slacks at a minimum. However, you probably just want to make sure that everyone sort of looks like they go together. ;)

Maybe you ought to check with your dad. Since he stated that collared shirts and khakis were not sufficient (although the cruise line says they are) maybe he wants a fancy family portrait or something.

Good point. And dressed to the nines or more casual, a cruise is a great time to get a family portrait taken.

On our last family cruise of 18, all of the "kids" - age 10 - 24 - loved the opportunity to dress and appear older than they were! We told them they could dress down after dinner and they loved staying in their adult clothes! And bottom line - respect the wishes of the Matriarch and/or the Patriarch.

On our last family cruise of 18, all of the "kids" - age 10 - 24 - loved the opportunity to dress and appear older than they were! We told them they could dress down after dinner and they loved staying in their adult clothes! And bottom line - respect the wishes of the Matriarch and/or the Patriarch.

I am remembering seeing the young gentlemen at least in a tie and white shirt for the "gala" nights, and they looked almost as pleased as did their fairy princess little sisters. Or maybe it was all the smiles they were all getting looking so special that night in their own tween sort of way. Agree, if Dad is planning this and feels dressing up is what he wants to see, just do it. A teaching moment.

Very similar to a button down shirt, except it's pants with buttons on the cuffs. ;) Or a typo.

I was afraid it was an unclosed "union suit". :eek:

I think in a situation where kids/tweens/teens are around a lot of adults, as happens on a cruise, most want to join in being a grown-up and will dress the part. OP, if there's any resistance, remind them that they will make their grandfather happy and proud of how nice they look.

It's pretty rare that we're on a family-heavy cruise. However, in almost every case, the grown ups, the teens and the kids all dressed very nicely. Lots of blazers, dresses, suits and even the occasional tux or gown for the younger family members.

It's probably more of a function of how the parents or grandparents dress than anything else. (Someone mentioned patriarch and matriarch earlier.) The adults set the tone.

I realize that I a kindly old codger in my early 50s, but I can guarantee you that my parents might have asked, "How should the kids dress?", and never, "So, what's the minimum we can get away with?"

Yes, people have been dressing down on our last few cruises.

With that said, our teenage boys always wear a blue blazer, tie and khaki pants. They've never once complained. Although if I recall, our younger son has rushed back to the cabin to change before going upstairs to CLUB HAL activities after dinner.

We'll be on the Westerdam soon and both (now ages 14 & 16) are planning to take their usual coat and tie.

I agree that Dad might have been hinting that he'd like the boys in blazers, etc.

It's a great time for a family portraits (even if you don't have the ship's photographers do them) and having everybody a little dressy is great.

Again, whatever the Patriarch (or Matriarch) would like is a good guideline!

I am remembering seeing the young gentlemen at least in a tie and white shirt for the "gala" nights, and they looked almost as pleased as did their fairy princess little sisters. Or maybe it was all the smiles they were all getting looking so special that night in their own tween sort of way. Agree, if Dad is planning this and feels dressing up is what he wants to see, just do it. A teaching moment.

Oooo, I like this post.

I agree polo or any shirt with a collar and decent pants are fine for the boys but if Dad really wants the boys in a jacket, perhaps he could bring one for them? They don';t 'need it but apparently, Dad does. :)

Have a great cruise.

Oooo, I like this post.

I agree polo or any shirt with a collar and decent pants are fine for the boys but if Dad really wants the boys in a jacket, perhaps he could bring one for them? They don';t 'need it but apparently, Dad does. :)

Have a great cruise.

No offense meant, but why should Grandpa have to bring jackets for the boys? Just seems a sign of respect for Mom to pack them for the grandsons to keep everyone happy. :)

No offense meant, but why should Grandpa have to bring jackets for the boys? Just seems a sign of respect for Mom to pack them for the grandsons to keep everyone happy. :)

I did not suggest anyone' Had todo anything regarding jackets. Suggestionas are just that and not demands. S eeeing as you mean no offeense........... :) None taken.

Mom and Gramps will do as they please.

HAL's dress code for Gala nights -- very relaxed.

We have noticed the last couple of years that the majority of men wear slacks and a collared shirt on Gala nights -- even in the specialty restaurants. Very few wear jackets and tie and only a handful wear a tuxedo.

The boys will be fine in slacks and collared shirt.

We noticed the same last December on the Zuiderdam.

I think your question has been answered already but all they need is a collared shirt with pants and shoes and socks which shouldn't cause them too bad of an allergic reaction when they eat dinner. GALA nights are not even enforced in common areas except for the MDR and the Pinnacle grill.

-Paul

I think your question has been answered already but all they need is a collared shirt with pants and shoes and socks which shouldn't cause them too bad of an allergic reaction when they eat dinner. GALA nights are not even enforced in common areas except for the MDR and the Pinnacle grill.

-Paul

A "dress code" is not only what is required (or permitted - if you are a minimalist) by the establishment (the ship). - it is also what is rightfully specified by the host (the old dude footing the bill).

If your host has made such request you can, of course, argue that the ship has lower expectations -- but just perhaps broadening the young mens' experience in going beyond the bare minimum might be good for them as well as respectful to your host.

Really!!!!! Spring for blazers and ties - it won't hurt them.

A "dress code" is not only what is required (or permitted - if you are a minimalist) by the establishment (the ship). - it is also what is rightfully specified by the host (the old dude footing the bill).

If your host has made such request you can, of course, argue that the ship has lower expectations -- but just perhaps broadening the young mens' experience in going beyond the bare minimum might be good for them as well as respectful to your host.

Really!!!!! Spring for blazers and ties - it won't hurt them.

To be fair, the OP did say they would be OK with "whatever" and was just asking what's the usual dress for Gala nights. We don't know that the grandfather is paying for this, just that he's the planner. Regardless of who's picking up the tab, if the "old dude" is asking the men to go above the minimum, then I think it's nice to honor his request. But let's not scold the OP for asking.