144 hour =No Chinese Visa

kwar

Why will Celebrity not make a commitment for people that are on a ship that ports in Shanghi, China for the end/start of new cruise. We are on and will go on another leg of the cruise and will only be in China, Shanghai only for 13 hours. I read the rule as we don't need a visa, but we are afraid they won't let us on the ship in Singapore for the cruise. I have called Celebrity three times, no commitment, says Chinese visa is needed. I have written to the Chinese Embassy in Washington, DC and written my Senator, waiting for answers from the last two.

Has anyone done this and only used Shanghai as a port to get from ship to ship, air to ship, ship to air and not had problem. Who has the answer? or do we just pay and get the visas to be on the safe side. I blame Celebrity who should know what the passenger's have to have.

Rita Kwar

Edited by kwar
spell

Don't blame Celebrity. It is the passenger's responsibility to determine what is needed. There are so many passengers from so many countries cruising, each having their own rules and requirements.

If you have called Celebrity and been told to get the visa, then you should probably get it

Don't blame Celebrity. It is the passenger's responsibility to determine what is needed. There are so many passengers from so many countries cruising, each having their own rules and requirements.

If you have called Celebrity and been told to get the visa, then you should probably get it

==========================================

But they know about Vietnam, Cambodia, all the other country visas, why not this new rule for China, I do blame them, as they can get all the others for us and are based out of US so they should know.

Having a visa is a normal part of travel.

Eg: when I traveled to Canada on a US aircraft, I still needed a visa for the USA, even though I didn't leave the airport and my transit was 2hrs. Yeap it's a major hassle, but that's the rule of AMERICA.

I guess the same an be said, that if your visiting a country and a visa is required ( like China,everybody needs one) whether yr on land or in their waters, then correct paperwork must be had..... Again, it's a pain... But ha, if you leave yr home country then one should expect to have all the necessary paper work to enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't even wonder about getting a visa...I'd just do it. If I'm spending the kind of coin one is probably spending for a trip that includes China, I'm not taking a chance on an problem.

Its why, when we started cruising in earnest with our kids 8 years ago, we got passports. Spent over $400 for four passports to go on a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean. Didn't really need them; I know we could have just used our birth certificates, but better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't even wonder about getting a visa...I'd just do it. If I'm spending the kind of coin one is probably spending for a trip that includes China, I'm not taking a chance on an problem.

Its why, when we started cruising in earnest with our kids 8 years ago, we got passports. Spent over $400 for four passports to go on a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean. Didn't really need them; I know we could have just used our birth certificates, but better safe than sorry.

A birth certificate.... Really....

To travel abroad and return.... [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Unbelievable ! We I never!

And to think.... We need passports to travel between England and France... Despite both countries being in the EU.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Last October we were in the same situation, Celebrity said yes you need it then no you don't then finally 6 weeks before we sailed they sent an email and said everyone needs one whether you leave the ship our not. Some of the confusion rest with the Chinese government themselves(another story but I don't want to go into it). It seems one reason you need one if God forbid you would get sick and have to leave the ship in Shanghai(not my choice of places to end up in a hospital) you wouldn't be allowed off the ship without a visa and the ship can't treat every life threatening problem adequately. I know its a pain but go ahead and get one just to be sure, they are good for 10 years. I mean you are paying all that money for the cruise, I sure wouldn't want to be denied boarding because of no visa. Some people here will say no you don't need one because of the 144 hour rule but I think that doesn't apply to passengers arriving by ship only by air. Also knowing the Chinese government it may apply today but tomorrow is another story. Filling out the Chinese visa isn't that difficulty compared to the Brazilian one I just filled out. But don't wait till the last minute. Get it done asap.

We agonized over whether or not to get the Chinese visa for our Japan and China cruise, where the only port for China (except Hong Kong where you don't need one) was one part of a day in Shanghai.

I raised the issue by writing a letter to Celebrity.

The answer that I got said.

If you don't leave the ship in Shanghai, you don't need a visa.

However, if the Chinese authorities change their policy you will need a visa to board the ship in Yokohama.

We chickened out and paid for the visa. As it turned out no visa was required, according to some people on the cruise that didn't get the visa.

Too bad that Celebrity even planned that stop in Shanghai. We had been there before and it was an expensive port for us.

Still, the cruise was great. We love Japan.

Any passenger or future passenger can get definitive information at X's website, only were we to check it out before calling X for possible mis-information or information which does not sound correct.

Not sure if "Getting Prepared" under Already Booked section of the website, appears on non-US websites or not, but one can check it out before hand without having to call for additional information, unless one wants to argue with the agents over something or another.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

As I said previously when we were on the cruise that stopped in Shanghai some people actually got a letter in respond when they contacted the front office from one of celebrity department heads that stated they did not need a visa, however 6 weeks before the cruise the same people got a email stating a visa was needed. So sometimes even Celebrities front office doesn't know for sure. Again might be based on the Chinese government.

Edited by Bobocasey

Why will Celebrity not make a commitment for people that are on a ship that ports in Shanghi, China for the end/start of new cruise. We are on and will go on another leg of the cruise and will only be in China, Shanghai only for 13 hours. I read the rule as we don't need a visa, but we are afraid they won't let us on the ship in Singapore for the cruise. I have called Celebrity three times, no commitment, says Chinese visa is needed. I have written to the Chinese Embassy in Washington, DC and written my Senator, waiting for answers from the last two.

Has anyone done this and only used Shanghai as a port to get from ship to ship, air to ship, ship to air and not had problem. Who has the answer? or do we just pay and get the visas to be on the safe side. I blame Celebrity who should know what the passenger's have to have.

Rita Kwar

Even if you're right, what would you do if the day before sailing China announced everyone needs a visa? Celebrity said get a visa. You didn't.

Celebrity can't give commitments for what the visa requirements will be on the day the ship sails. They will always tilt in favor of visas for areas of the world where there are already some visa requirements.

I wholeheartedly agree that we must get the Visas, however, who is the new

rule for???? The thought of spending about $400 for two visa's we are buying just to make sure .... just doesn't seem right, however we will do it, so we don't get banned from boarding the ship. I just thought someone out there might have used this new rule with visa's in Shanghai, but apparently not.

We are on 3 back to backs, my other question is Vietnam, the ship gets the visa, again the answer from Celebrity is , the ship will work with you??? we stop in Vietnam 9 times, do I have to get 3 visas for each leg of the trip or do I get one from boat with unlimited entries. Have been to VN 4 times but never in 3 back to backs cruises. Too hard to read them in my passport. Anyone know this answer, as cruise does the visas. We just plan on getting them on the ship.

We are on 3 back to backs, my other question is Vietnam, the ship gets the visa, again the answer from Celebrity is , the ship will work with you??? we stop in Vietnam 9 times, do I have to get 3 visas for each leg of the trip or do I get one from boat with unlimited entries. Have been to VN 4 times but never in 3 back to backs cruises. Too hard to read them in my passport. Anyone know this answer, as cruise does the visas. We just plan on getting them on the ship.

According to this web site, AND if your total cruise time is under one month, you would get a one month/multiple entries visa. If your total cruise time is more than one month, then you would get a three month/muliple entries visa.

http://www.vietnam-visa.org/

Why will Celebrity not make a commitment for people that are on a ship that ports in Shanghi, China for the end/start of new cruise. We are on and will go on another leg of the cruise and will only be in China, Shanghai only for 13 hours.

Rita Kwar

Rita,

Presuming you have a US Passport, the answer is "it depends"

If you are arriving to China from 1 country and departing to another country then the transit without visa would apply.

If your last stop before China and the first stop on the next cruise are the same country, then you would need a visa.

The issue is that you may be denied boarding regardless, due to itinerary changes (unplanned)

I would get one regardless.

We have email documentation from the Celebrity Millennium Documentation Officer confirming that if we show our passport and proof of our flight departing Shanghai (back to USA and not to another part of China) within 144 hours of our arrival, then no China visas will be required.

We are on the Millennium departing Vancouver on Sep 2 and we will be staying on the Sep 18 sailing to Shanghai.

This issue has been kicked around on CC. The big issue is will we be allowed to stay on the Millennium when it arrives in Yokohama on Sep 18? Our confirmation from the Documentation Officer states that upon presenting our passports to ship staff in Yokohama, they will, seeing that we have no China visas, will send us to other staff who will ask to see a copy of our departing flight tickets and for us to probably fill out a 144-hour visa form or something.

Celebrity 'corporate' claims no knowledge of the 144-hour scheme and its visa provider is totally ignorant of the scheme also (incredible for a 'travel professional'). Celebrity corporate has advised us that, with so many different nationalities, they can't possible be aware & advise us of alternative visa requirements -- they say we need visas or risk being ejected from the ship.

So we are not bringing China visas. But we make no claims or representations as to the wisdom of our decision. To tell the truth, we're just a bit nervous.....

If it doesn't work, and you see us and several other PAX being ejected from the ship in Yokohama, you have our leave to jeer us. ;-)

Have just received an email today from Celebrity Guest services in UK confirming that Celebrity have confirmed with the Chinese High Commission that, as long as we present full UK passports, when we check in Celebrity Millenium in Tokyo on 16 October we will be able to complete a 144 hour visa exemption form which will allow us to travel onboard and visit Shanghai. The email states that this was introduced on 31st January 2016. It has taken us many phone calls and emails to get this confirmation, and only after insisting on speaking to someone above the level of customer service. I cannot say whether this waiver applies to those outside the UK, but it's worth pursuing with Celebrity.

Have just received an email today from Celebrity Guest services in UK confirming that Celebrity have confirmed with the Chinese High Commission that, as long as we present full UK passports, when we check in Celebrity Millenium in Tokyo on 16 October we will be able to complete a 144 hour visa exemption form which will allow us to travel onboard and visit Shanghai. The email states that this was introduced on 31st January 2016. It has taken us many phone calls and emails to get this confirmation, and only after insisting on speaking to someone above the level of customer service. I cannot say whether this waiver applies to those outside the UK, but it's worth pursuing with Celebrity.

I wonder how they got around the transit to a 3rd country requirement

• 2 weeks later...
We have email documentation from the Celebrity Millennium Documentation Officer confirming that if we show our passport and proof of our flight departing Shanghai (back to USA and not to another part of China) within 144 hours of our arrival, then no China visas will be required.

We are on the Millennium departing Vancouver on Sep 2 and we will be staying on the Sep 18 sailing to Shanghai.

This issue has been kicked around on CC. The big issue is will we be allowed to stay on the Millennium when it arrives in Yokohama on Sep 18? Our confirmation from the Documentation Officer states that upon presenting our passports to ship staff in Yokohama, they will, seeing that we have no China visas, will send us to other staff who will ask to see a copy of our departing flight tickets and for us to probably fill out a 144-hour visa form or something.

Celebrity 'corporate' claims no knowledge of the 144-hour scheme and its visa provider is totally ignorant of the scheme also (incredible for a 'travel professional'). Celebrity corporate has advised us that, with so many different nationalities, they can't possible be aware & advise us of alternative visa requirements -- they say we need visas or risk being ejected from the ship.

So we are not bringing China visas. But we make no claims or representations as to the wisdom of our decision. To tell the truth, we're just a bit nervous.....

If it doesn't work, and you see us and several other PAX being ejected from the ship in Yokohama, you have our leave to jeer us. ;-)

Let us know what happens, start a new thread when you get back. I don't go until Dec. 28th. Good luck, they finally told me I don't need one, but wouldn't send me anything , this was Celebrity, and of course their visa agency wants to make money.

Kwar

i think the salient fact is that our next port of call - the third country - is not in China.

Japan is the 1st country, China is the 2nd country and Japan is the 3rd country on the October 16th Millennium cruise! That is the salient fact that has been debated ever since they came out with the 144-hour visa exemption with the "third country" restriction in the fine print! To make matters worse, the official website of the Chinese Embassy to the US makes no mention of the 144-hour visa exemption, only of the 72-hour visa exemption that only applies to airports!

Japan is the 1st country, China is the 2nd country and Japan is the 3rd country on the October 16th Millennium cruise! That is the salient fact that has been debated ever since they came out with the 144-hour visa exemption with the "third country" restriction in the fine print!

Except it's only the first country revisited, not a 3rd country. Otherwise they'd just say leave the country, which everyone with a visa necessarily has to do anyway!

Edited by The_Big_M