What to do in LA before cruising out of San Pedro?

cruiseintoheaven

We are doing a CA coastal next March (the 10th) on the Ruby, and are planning on flying in a few days ahead and staying at the Leows hotel on the beach in Santa Monica. I'm not sure yet whether we will have a rental car. We plan to enjoy the local area, though admittedly don't have a good sense of what the pier, shops, promenade offer in detail - easy enough google search. Also plan to tour the Queen Mary and possibly go to the aquarium. Any other suggestions? Must do's? I can't schedule flights yet but I'm thinking we'll arrive in the afternoon on Wednesday the 7th which gives us one half day and two full days before heading to the port on Saturday morning. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you done a Hollywood tour? That's worth doing once in your life. There's an ethnic food tour too that looks interesting: https://www.viator.com/tours/Los-Angeles/Los-Angeles-Ethnic-Neighborhoods-Food-and-Culture/d645-5713P34

There are a ton of options at Viator.com. Also, the Getty Villa or the Getty Center are very worth doing if you enjoy art.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
sp

Have you done a Hollywood tour? That's worth doing once in your life. There's an ethnic food tour too that looks interesting: https://www.viator.com/tours/Los-Angeles/Los-Angeles-Ethnic-Neighborhoods-Food-and-Culture/d645-5713P34

There are a ton of options at Viator.com. Also, the Getty Villa or the Getty Center are very worth doing if you enjoy art.

No, I've only been to San Fran, so the Hollywood tour could be interesting. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We decided to stay at the Hyatt the Pike right on Long Beach. Beautiful boutique style hotel within walking distance of many shops and restaurants across the street at the Shoreline Village Marina. We also had fantastic views of the Queen Mary and the port of Long Beach. We found plenty to do without having to rent a car. On the morning of the cruise, we took a quick taxi ride to the port of Los Angeles. It was a great and easy way to begin our vacation.

Feel free to click on the link in my signature (10th wedding anniversary aboard the Golden Princess). It has several photos as well as a detailed review, both of our short coastal cruise as well as our pre-cruise stay. Hope it's helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In addition to any replies you receive here, there's a wealth of information about what to do in LA that you could search for on the West Coast Departures forum where the moderator may eventually move your thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Also the California Coastal/Pacific Northwest forum may have some additional useful information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226

Your staying at a great hotel in a great town, Santa Monica. Very interesting to just walk along the boardwalk, past Venice Beach and beyond. There is a great shopping area in downtown area (within walking distance), great restaurants and of course, the Santa Monica pier (touristy, but something you don't see every day). We fly over from Phoenix for long weekends and just stay in the area, no rental car. Of course, if you haven't spent a lot of time time LA you might want to venture out and about.

Your staying at a great hotel in a great town, Santa Monica. Very interesting to just walk along the boardwalk, past Venice Beach and beyond. There is a great shopping area in downtown area (within walking distance), great restaurants and of course, the Santa Monica pier (touristy, but something you don't see every day). We fly over from Phoenix for long weekends and just stay in the area, no rental car. Of course, if you haven't spent a lot of time time LA you might want to venture out and about.

Great area to stay in for a few days visit in LA and Loews is a great hotel. Rent a couple of bikes and bike along the beach. The bike path goes for miles. The Getty Museum is a must as well as the Griffith Observatory. La Brea Tar Pits, I could go on for days. Skip Disney, and do a tour of Hollywood, this maybe a little touristy but it is Hollywood.

If you have any other questions, just ask, We live down here in southern California during the winter and have been to most attractions.

Have lunch at the Santa Monica Seafood. Freshest "fish" you will ever get.

http://www.smseafoodmarket.com/santa-monica-seafood-market-and-cafe/

Los Angeles AND Long Beach are huge areas. You will need to prioritize your interests. Southern Californians must have a car. There are many things you can see and do....once you get to LA city/metro.

If you are anywhere near Union Station (LA), have lunch at Philippes.

http://www.philippes.com

Then visit Olivera Street/Chinatown/Japan Town

http://www.olvera-street.com

As someone else mentioned, there is so much to do without going to Disneyland.

And there always is the USS Iowa (sister ship to the Missouri at Pearl Harbor). A little difficult to do with luggage.

And there always is the USS Iowa (sister ship to the Missouri at Pearl Harbor). A little difficult to do with luggage.

If you do not have mobility problems, you can walk from the ship to the USS Iowa. Depending on your check-in time and your sailing time, you may be able to check in with Princess and then walk over to see the USS Iowa.

I walked to the USS Iowa from the ship with no problems. But I was on a B2B on turnaround day, so I had plenty of time to do so.

I'm really appreciating all the advice and tips - I decided a long time ago that Disneyland was on my "MUST NOT DO" list:) - just not a fan of lines, rides etc, but Universal studios is up my alley. DH would love the celebrity death tour - if I have to watch one more Charles Manson special i may poke my eye out with a fork. It sounds like we could happily while away our time in Santa Monica and stay centered around the beach (love the idea of renting bikes), or - rent a car and take in some of the bigger surrounding attractions. These are the kinds of decisions that are fun to wrangle with!

I'm really appreciating all the advice and tips - I decided a long time ago that Disneyland was on my "MUST NOT DO" list:) - just not a fan of lines, rides etc, but Universal studios is up my alley. DH would love the celebrity death tour - if I have to watch one more Charles Manson special i may poke my eye out with a fork. It sounds like we could happily while away our time in Santa Monica and stay centered around the beach (love the idea of renting bikes), or - rent a car and take in some of the bigger surrounding attractions. These are the kinds of decisions that are fun to wrangle with!

Warner Bros Studio is a must if you are a fan on TV and Movies, not a theme park its a guided tour of a the whole of the studios

Oooh Manson Family trivia. Much has changed, but a lot has stayed the same in the Chatsworth/Simi Valley area.

You could go to Spahn Ranch (were the Manson Family lived), eat at the Munchbox, check out the Reagan Library, spelunking at Stoney Point and hike up the Santa Susana stage coach trail. All within 5 miles of each other. Lots of waterfowl at the (now unused) Chatsworth Reservoir.

Warner Bros Studio is a must if you are a fan on TV and Movies, not a theme park its a guided tour of a the whole of the studios

DH (Tom) is a huuuuuge movie fan. My guilty pleasure is the Young and the Restless, have been watching since day one so I'll look into that - thanks for the reply!

Oooh Manson Family trivia. Much has changed, but a lot has stayed the same in the Chatsworth/Simi Valley area.

You could go to Spahn Ranch (were the Manson Family lived), eat at the Munchbox, check out the Reagan Library, spelunking at Stoney Point and hike up the Santa Susana stage coach trail. All within 5 miles of each other. Lots of waterfowl at the (now unused) Chatsworth Reservoir.

I may have to hide this from Tom, but I do appreciate the tip:)