Riviera PH and in-suite dining

spuds

We are considering changing our reservation from a veranda (B3 extended) to the PH1 suite at the aft of the ship (suite 7130 or 7135) for an upcoming Med Cruise in August. It is a considerable $$ amount to change and a couple of things would be important to us.

1) is there a limit to how many times you can request to do in-suite course by course dining - ??

2) if you do in-suite dining can you invite friends to join - ?? we are travelling with another couple and they may not be in a PH suite.

3) for anyone that has stayed or seen the suite 7130/7135 balcony do you think that a table for 4 could fit on the balcony and if yes weather permitting do you think they would be able to serve us dinner on the balcony- ??

Many thanks for your input!

We are considering changing our reservation from a veranda (B3 extended) to the PH1 suite at the aft of the ship (suite 7130 or 7135) for an upcoming Med Cruise in August. It is a considerable $$ amount to change and a couple of things would be important to us.

1) is there a limit to how many times you can request to do in-suite course by course dining - ??

2) if you do in-suite dining can you invite friends to join - ?? we are travelling with another couple and they may not be in a PH suite.

3) for anyone that has stayed or seen the suite 7130/7135 balcony do you think that a table for 4 could fit on the balcony and if yes weather permitting do you think they would be able to serve us dinner on the balcony- ??

Many thanks for your input!

There are no limits to the number of times, and a dining table for four would certainly fit out there. Those Verandas are enormous.

010059.jpg The thing is, In Suite Dining for more than two people is an enormous undertaking.

The Butler won't refuse you, but he is going to be killing himself.

If you're going to consider inviting people over, particularly more than once-

I would suggest that you tip as if the bills were on fire. ;)

There are no limits to the number of times, and a dining table for four would certainly fit out there. Those Verandas are enormous.

010059.jpg The thing is, In Suite Dining for more than two people is an enormous undertaking.

The Butler won't refuse you, but he is going to be killing himself.

If you're going to consider inviting people over, particularly more than once-

I would suggest that you tip as if the bills were on fire. ;)

Essentially agree with above except the "fire" part :D

Personally I would not do the dinner for 4 more than once as a "special event" (maybe twice at most) as it is a lot of extra work for the butler - although you can do it as often as you wish for the two of you.

Tip accordingly :)

!

spuds - I am not sure if you are aware, but thought I would point out before you spend a lot and are not happy. The two PH's you are looking at have less room than the average PH Suite does. The cabins are approx. 1.5 to 2' narrower.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2166361

spuds - I am not sure if you are aware, but thought I would point out before you spend a lot and are not happy. The two PH's you are looking at have less room than the average PH Suite does. The cabins are approx. 1.5 to 2' narrower.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2166361

...and, I believe that they have much smaller closets (I don't think it is a walk in closet) - all in exchange for a very large balcony.

Just FYI.

Edited by Paulchili

Somewhere there is a thread with pictures of both. I know because I posted one of the pictures. The space missing is at the foot of the bed. I'm not sure about the closet, I think it might still be a walk in, just not as large, but I could be wrong about that.

We loved it. To compensate for the loss of room in the cabin, we asked that the chairs and table at the foot of the bed be removed (we found them rather silly anyway). I can't remember the closet situation, but it was more than adequate.

My question is this: Why do people love in-suite, course-by-course dining? We've been in PHs three times and haven't tried it, probably because we're outgoing and love to chat with tablemates. But I'd love to hear why others enjoy it.

We loved it. To compensate for the loss of room in the cabin, we asked that the chairs and table at the foot of the bed be removed (we found them rather silly anyway). I can't remember the closet situation, but it was more than adequate.

My question is this: Why do people love in-suite, course-by-course dining? We've been in PHs three times and haven't tried it, probably because we're outgoing and love to chat with tablemates. But I'd love to hear why others enjoy it.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to get a great upsell deal on an OC suite on Riviera last year so we had lots of room for in-suite dining. That said, the only time we took advantage of it was to have breakfast on days when we had early shore excursions. As far as dinner goes, we much prefer the public dining rooms. That said, I can certainly see having in-suite dinner for 2 or 3 couples if you want to celebrate something or just enjoy a more intimate evening but unless it can be accommodated on the balcony I just don't see it being very practical in a PH suite. Having been in a "regular" PH suite I don't think the balcony would work for more than 2 people. We haven't had the pleasure of the extended PH balcony referenced by the OP so I can't comment on that. Ask me in a few months though and I'll be able to - we're booked on the Marina in one of the rear extended balcony PH cabins.

Let see -- tired, not felling well, back late from a long excursion. Those are my reasons.

Other benefits -- you can order just about anything from any of the specialties or GDR. You are not limited by the room service menu.

Also you do not have to course by course. Does help the butler situation - if you want a quick good meal.

We are of the opinion that a ph is too small for comfortable in suite dining even for 2. If we do it it is not multiple course and the bed is utilized as a sideboard. Dinner for 4? Like a Marx brothers movie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We personally prefer eating in the dining venues to in-suite dining, even though we have eaten in-suite occasionally.

The best reason for doing it, imo? We had very good friends, and past fellow cruisers, on one of the Riveria Noro cruises last year, that ended up eating most all their meals in suite after the first night or so. The disinfectant dripping from everything got to be a bit more than they choose to handle, and the in-suite option turned out to be a blessing for them. Their Butler brought them their very own salt and pepper shakers to keep in the cabin! :p Enjoyable meals on their verandah with bottles of wine they picked up while in port (no corkage) or off the wine list aboard ship.

Their Butler worked hard that cruise, but he was amply rewarded! ;)

Debbers,

In addition to Paul's and Queen's reasons I'd like to add the most important for us.

Some cruises it is very difficult to get extra reservations to specialties - especially for the time and table size you prefer. We like to eat early.

In those cases we have the option to dine in (I could eat @ Jacques every night :D) and can even do it in your bathrobes, if you want to, after a long day.

Edited by Paulchili

Thank you all for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the information on the reduced size of the suite. I have done extensive research on these suites and was aware of the smaller interior size. We do not worry about the size of the suite or closet... washroom size is important to us but from what I can tell all washrooms (any suites) are a decent size... .unlike Azamara Journey were we felt like we were in a broom closet and ended up upgrading our room a day after we got on the cruise.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to get a great upsell deal on an OC suite on Riviera last year so we had lots of room for in-suite dining. That said, the only time we took advantage of it was to have breakfast on days when we had early shore excursions. As far as dinner goes, we much prefer the public dining rooms. That said, I can certainly see having in-suite dinner for 2 or 3 couples if you want to celebrate something or just enjoy a more intimate evening but unless it can be accommodated on the balcony I just don't see it being very practical in a PH suite. Having been in a "regular" PH suite I don't think the balcony would work for more than 2 people. We haven't had the pleasure of the extended PH balcony referenced by the OP so I can't comment on that. Ask me in a few months though and I'll be able to - we're booked on the Marina in one of the rear extended balcony PH cabins.

Were you on the Aft for the Oceania Suite - ?? It looks like the balconies might be the same size... the PH1 on Deck 7 maybe even a bit larger. If yes, do you think a dining table for 4 would fit out there - ??

This is a tough decision for us... as it is quite a significant cost increase... we LOVE LOVE LOVE the Aft of the ship and are a bit disappointed that Oceania's only public vantage point for this is the Terrace Restaurant... and we would not be guaranteed an outside table. Some nights we might just do Happy Hour and Appies on the balcony (for sail-away) and then go to a restaurant for the remaining courses.. but some nights we would love to enjoy a full meal with our friends on the balcony.

And of course if our Butler is going above and beyond and serving our friends as well as us then we would make sure that he/she is well recognized/compensated.

Once again, thanks for your feedback!

Somewhere there is a thread with pictures of both. I know because I posted one of the pictures. The space missing is at the foot of the bed. I'm not sure about the closet, I think it might still be a walk in, just not as large, but I could be wrong about that.

Yes, it is a walk in, just smaller than a normal PH closet.

One thing for OP also to consider is the butler's other assigned PH cabins will be a couple decks up. The butler service we had in a regular PH was a bit better than the aft PH.

Edited by buggins0402

Adding to Paul's reasons - Not wanting to get dressed to even "country club casual" standards for dinner. We had an in-suite dinner of Red Ginger salads and appetizers served all at the same time while wearing shorts and tee shirts, enjoying the view from our veranda.

WE have never done in-suite dining but think we should try it next time. Don't think we want to be at the back of the ship so we do not need to worry about the size of the PH. Of course the PH on the R ships are much smaller so dining in suite will be more of a problem. Need more problems like that. Want to cruise more often and have more problems like that. :):):)

Debbers,

In addition to Paul's and Queen's reasons I'd like to add the most important for us.

Some cruises it is very difficult to get extra reservations to specialties - especially for the time and table size you prefer. We like to eat early.

In those cases we have the option to dine in (I could eat @ Jacques every night :D) and can even do it in your bathrobes, if you want to, after a long day.

Agree with this.

Some days you just want to stay in but enjoy the food:)

Hi Debbers, so you have stayed in this suite... do you think a table for 4 would fit on the balcony - ? I actually also reached out to our Travel Agent to ask Oceania... and they said no. But it looks large enough so not sure if that is just a standard answer based on a normal size balcony... I did specify the specific suites but they maybe did not consider that.

Thanks!

Were you on the Aft for the Oceania Suite - ?? It looks like the balconies might be the same size... the PH1 on Deck 7 maybe even a bit larger. If yes, do you think a dining table for 4 would fit out there - ??

Yes, were were in an aft OC Suite. While the balcony was large and wrapped around, it's no where near as deep as the balcony on the aft deck 7 cabins. I'm pretty sure there wasn't enough space for dining in comfort on the OC balcony but from what I've seen of the deck 7 aft balconies (we could look straight down from the OC balcony) they have plenty of depth to handle a table. Not sure where the table would come from, though, unless the one at the foot of the bed was moved out there (which might actually be a good idea given the reduced space inside). Would Oceania actually provide a table that could sit 4 for the balcony?

Edited by Gogie

the PH1 on Deck 7 maybe even a bit larger. If yes, do you think a dining table for 4 would fit out there - ??

The extended veranda in our B3 would have been large enough if the loungers were not our there. But it does seem like a lot of work for the Butler to clear a veranda for diners.

IMG_1298.jpg.75e98576672ea0c913db240cfef2b258.jpg

Would Oceania actually provide a table that could sit 4 for the balcony?

Yes they will, and you have guessed half of the way that they do it.

marina-penthouse-suite.jpg

The table from the foot of the beds is moved outside, and has a larger top clamped onto it.

Add acres of snowy linens, china, glass and silverware, even a gorgeous floral centerpiece should one choose to splash out that far..... and voila!

223859.jpg

FYI Those table bases are weighted, so it is a fairly sturdy set up, yet the entire business will be whisked away that very evening.

The assumption seems to be that everyone will have returned to their own digs, by breakfast ;)

We had a standard PH suite on deck 11. It was the first on the bow next to the bridge..No extra large balcony like the aft suites.

We did have in-suite Red Ginger dining.The table at the end of the bed was small and could only hold a few things.We had to keep leaning over to the dressing table worktop to pick things up.Our butler informed us that it wasn't possible to dine on the balcony (2 of us) as not enough space...

We had our breakfast in suite and just took what we needed outside.

I have to say that we thoroughly enjoyed dining in the cabin but it didn't feel that special with heaps of plastic plate covers everywhere and trying to manoeuvre side plates.

I would do it again but maybe order from a different restaurant where there aren't so many plates!

I am finding it diffucukt to wait a year for our next Oceania cruise!

Yes they will, and you have guessed half of the way that they do it.

marina-penthouse-suite.jpg

The table from the foot of the beds is moved outside, and has a larger top clamped onto it.

Add acres of snowy linens, china, glass and silverware, even a gorgeous floral centerpiece should one choose to splash out that far..... and voila!

223859.jpg

FYI Those table bases are weighted, so it is a fairly sturdy set up, yet the entire business will be whisked away that very evening.

The assumption seems to be that everyone will have returned to their own digs, by breakfast ;)

Thanks for that bit of information. Would they consider leaving the table on the balcony or do they have to move it back in after each use? Not sure that it would be practical to leave it on the balcony (inclement weather would preclude its use) but on the other hand freeing up space given the space reduction in the aft PH suites might be worthwhile if it can be done.

Thanks for that bit of information. Would they consider leaving the table on the balcony or do they have to move it back in after each use? Not sure that it would be practical to leave it on the balcony (inclement weather would preclude its use) but on the other hand freeing up space given the space reduction in the aft PH suites might be worthwhile if it can be done.

I must caution you that my responses deal with the aftmost penthouses on deck 7 specifically.

Although the aft Oceania Suites are stunning, their verandas are too narrow to accomodate an outdoor table for four. It might be possible to shoehorn the people to sit at the table, but there would be no room for servers to manuever.

Happily, the Oceania Suites already have a dedicated dining area albeit indoors.

Getting back on topic, the glasstop tables in the Penthouses are not indoor/outdoor pieces of furniture.

I cannot see them being left outside for any extended period

Edited by JimandStan