I love music but....

Brisbanelionsfan

Just back from Solstice Singapore to Sydney and had a great cruise. Our cabin was very comfortable, food was excellent, staff very friendly, so what's the problem?

The loud music piped all over the public areas of the ship. It was so loud you couldn't speak to someone sitting next to you without yelling. We went to guest services and asked them if it could be turned down a bit and the response was "There are lots of young people on board and they like it"

Are you kidding, we were two of the youngest aboard and we are in our early 60s!

If we want to hear music, and we do often, we will go to the live venues and listen to the music we enjoy. We also enjoy the live music at the pool during the day.

I ended up sitting on my balcony and reading just to get some peace and quiet.

Celebrity please do something positive about this.

Cheers:eek:

I agree entirely with your views.

The stuff they play through the PA is awful generic computer generated music and its hard to get away from it.

Also they away have loud bands playing in the atrium of S class ships with the sound polluting the whole areas including all the bars, the library and the games room.

I have complained on board and through feedback to no avail.

Love the S-class ships but absolutely hate the piped music. Was able once to get them to turn it down but this was very early in the morning at Cafe de Bacio. I've learned to take ear buds with me so I can substitute my own music and drown the noise out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am a massive S-Class fan - as you know Phil - but agree that in some venues the music is way too loud. The ships are big enough to find a quiet spot though, although this may not be in one of the main areas, where you want to be. Four years ago, my husband and I were invited to a Passenger Forum, whilst on Eclipse, to give our views on the S-Class experience. We, and many others, spoke at length about the loud music and were told that it was a Miami Corporate decision, and that the individual areas on ship were not "allowed" to change it. Nothing has changed and there are many, many threads on this issue on CC.

For several years there have been many complaints here on CC about uncomfortably loud music both inside and out, particularly on S-class ships. Our last two cruises on Reflection found us whiling away the daytime hours in the solarium or out on our balcony rather than poolside because the poolside music was painfully loud. When did blaring music become the new definition of modern luxury? Word is that X routinely reads these boards but for some reason repeated complaints about loud music appear to be falling on deaf ears - no pun intended!

Edited by lysolqn

We went through a period where HQ directed that there should be very loud music everywhere in Bailey's attempt to attract younger cruisers. Apparently they heard the passenger's complaints over the loud music (pun intended) and they let the ships turn the music down to reasonable levels....and the noise levels were reduced...and ships again had discretion on sound levels.

If the loud noise...loud enough that you can't talk to the person next to you...has returned, let's hope it was only for that one ship or that one cruise. While the advertising aimed at younger folks continues, my observation is that it hasn't been overwhelmingly successful...except perhaps in the perception of some staff folks in HQ who haven't actually been on a cruise.

Having said that, there are cruises with more younger folks (that's under 80....(sorry that was my evil twin typing...it's really under 50) who do enjoy louder music....some of the Caribbean/holiday cruises would fall into this category and I would expect louder music, at least in some venues.

One voice for the music! We LOVE the band in the atrium and most all of the live and DJ music on board. The piped music can get a bit repetitive, but we've never found it to be overly intrusive.

I don't know if we are in the minority or non-vocal majority on this one! :)

I love music as well, but I don't understand it coming so loudly from the Atrium, when you have adjacent areas like the Library and the Hideaway, as well as al Bacio...Those areas are meant to be used as a mini-getaway....We sailed on the Reflection during her inaugural season, and we loved relaxing in the hideaway mid afternoon, cup of coffee, having a chat and people watching. We have sailed all subsequent years, and its never been the same. Sure, dinner time and later, its fun to have a band there(atrium), but the rest of the day, I think the music (or lack of) should be different in each area and at a volume that would allow for different types throughout the ship not to compete with each other...Oh, and I can't wait to try the silent disco on the Sillie in January!

One voice for the music! We LOVE the band in the atrium and most all of the live and DJ music on board. The piped music can get a bit repetitive, but we've never found it to be overly intrusive.

I don't know if we are in the minority or non-vocal majority on this one! :)

It's not the live bands or the DJ or the choice of music that's problematic for so many pax. It's the volume of music in public spaces frequented by virtually all pax, not just those who like loud music and can enjoy same in specific venues provided for their enjoyment.

It's not the live bands or the DJ or the choice of music that's problematic for so many pax. It's the volume of music in public spaces frequented by virtually all pax, not just those who like loud music and can enjoy same in specific venues provided for their enjoyment.

I understand what you are saying. I guess I didn't get across what I intended, LOL! I think the volume is fine. Again, just my opinion and I know that I'm in the minority (or silent majority) on this board. :)

We found the piped music particularly loud on pool deck during our cruise on the Solstice. Everyone was avoiding seats near the speakers - difficult as they were all over the place. We found it difficult to concentrate on reading. Next time we will take ear plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll see if this posts OK. A video I took at 10.30am on a port day on Reflection last month. The idea of a quiet time by the pool whilst the ship was relatively empty, not going to happen.

th_IMG_2366_zpsws98sx8d.mp4

This is shocking, I am packing my ear defenders for what now looks like my last cruise on Celebrity for a long time. I might come back when I am old and decrepit and deaf which will fit in well with modern luxury for sure :p;)

Just back from Solstice Singapore to Sydney..............The loud music piped all over the public areas of the ship. It was so loud you couldn't speak to someone sitting next to you without yelling.

The stuff they play through the PA is awful generic computer generated music and its hard to get away from it.

I was on the Solstice in September, Vancouver to Hawaii on her way to Singapore. There was no "loud music piped all over the public areas of the ship." In fact, there was no piped music anywhere. The only thing that was played over the PA was the Captain's morning update and occasional service notifications.

I have cruised on Celebrity several times on several different ships and in the last couple of years we have not experienced any loud music played over the PA system.

Wow ! We are looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise next March on Reflection. If this is typical of piped music all over the ship I think we should cancel and revert to Princess. BTW we do like music.

This was around the Pool Deck. There is piped music around the Lawn Club and other areas of the ship. Not loud, but it's just there. I've been on numerous S-Class ships over recent years and it's a trait that seems to be getting worse. I too like music and often loud, but prefer to choose a venue to go and listen to it.

Edited by excitedofharpenden

This was around the Pool Deck. There is piped music around the Lawn Club and other areas of the ship. Not loud, but it's just there. I've been on numerous S-Class ships over recent years and it's a trait that seems to be getting worse. I too like music and often loud, but prefer to choose a venue to go and listen to it.

Thanks - so looking forward to Celebrity, will keep our fingers crossed :)

I'll see if this posts OK. A video I took at 10.30am on a port day on Reflection last month. The idea of a quiet time by the pool whilst the ship was relatively empty, not going to happen.

th_IMG_2366_zpsws98sx8d.mp4

Thank you for this example. After hearing this, we won't be sailing Celebrity. I wouldn't be able to relax or read or think. And this is piped throughout the ship? Most people have iPods, why not let people select the music they want to hear (if any).

This music might be OK for me at a certain time or in a certain venue, but not if I can't escape it without essentially confining myself to my cabin. Celebrity probably doesn't want my business anyway being that I'm in my 50s.

I think that the real purpose of this music is to drive away older passengers, so...why go where you are not wanted? I believe Celebrity is signaling that certain people are not welcome (for whatever reason), and we all have plenty of other options. (I will never complain about Frank Sinatra on Princess again.)

The Celebrity sales conference was on Summit this past week and we passed on our concerns to the people responsible for picking the music that passengers like... however I think it fell on deaf ears. When 20 and 30 year olds pick the music to be played on the ships, they select what they want to hear. Every day in the ocean view cafe we listen to the same songs about shaking bodies and DJ's... yes please turn down the level and give us more variety. :cool:

There are many, many threads about extremely loud music. We also notice so many young folks with music blasting so loudly into their earbuds that people nearby can hear it, or loud enough in cars to actually shake the cars. There have also been many articles in the news about increases in hearing loss in younger people at an alarming rate. I suspect that those who claim to love the loud music have already damaged their hearing enough that they continually need it louder and louder. As a result, we're looking into a good company that makes hearing aids as an investment opportunity. More and more people are going to need them at a much younger age.

In the meantime, we carry earplugs for when we want a quiet area, and spend more time in our cabin, where (in case the cruise lines haven't noticed!) we're much less likely to be spending money on drinks, gambling, shops, etc.