ANTHEM of the Seas Troubles

Been reading through that for a while. Got caught in a hurricane... but still doesn't appear as bad as that P&O incident some years back.

You mean this one???

:eek: :eek:

Amazing read. Stated getting pretty heated about specifics on wind, waves, listing & blame on The Capt & RC... I'm sure they wouldn't intentionally sail into that!

Hope everyone & the Ship are all good.

If anything it gives me faith that these ships can handle almost anything that can be thrown at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24-Dec-2015Explorer Of The Seas13nt South Pacific - New Zealand Cruise

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

When I was reading the thread earlier today it reminded me of the Explorer 150 knot thread.

There was doubt expressed about the strength of those winds, but this had the Anthem captain reporting 145 knots to the passengers

I actually confirmed the talk of the 150 knot winds on Explorer. As I asked the bridge crew on the Radiance about it.

Amazing read. Stated getting pretty heated about specifics on wind, waves, listing & blame on The Capt & RC... I'm sure they wouldn't intentionally sail into that!

It does actually seem that they intentionally sailed into it. There was a lengthy warning from the captain earlier about upcoming weather, and he even said he'd try to run through it.

And if they took that course without being aware of it, that would be even more negligent! :eek:

The question actually seems to come down to they may not have expected it to be quite as bad, or a change in course. But a number of meteorologists and others have already pointed out that there were expectations of hurricane strength winds and that sort of storm can be volatile.

At this stage it actually doesn't look good for their judgement. Either their advice was markedly deficient, or they were taking a punt and hoping for the best instead of re-directing. Of course had they redirected that would have brought complaints too (a la Carnival Spirit) so wasn't an easy option. But since the information was shown to be out there, it's a big question why they still went ahead that way anyway.

Had friends on her. they were giving us updates. At least the net worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope they are all okay, sounds like a wild ride.

Apparently they have been offered full refunds and 50% (of this cruise cost) of a future cruise.:D

A decent storm for sure. That ship is 50m wide and 348m long, but like others only 9m draft. A lot of ship above the water. Floating block of flats, don't like it, saw it at Southampton, late last year.

Have read the whole 32 pages even those that went off track

It seems that the staff were magnificent

At one point after the worst part of the storm but people were still in their cabins The staff were standing on the stairs passing gasses of water and sandwiches hand to hand to get them to the passengers as it was still difficult to walk around.

I hope they all keep their tips when the refund is given to the passengers

Have read the whole 32 pages even those that went off track

It seems that the staff were magnificent

At one point after the worst part of the storm but people were still in their cabins The staff were standing on the stairs passing gasses of water and sandwiches hand to hand to get them to the passengers as it was still difficult to walk around.

I hope they all keep their tips when the refund is given to the passengers

Agreed, I think the staff were awesome.:D

NCL had a ship go out of port and then return before heading back out just to dodge the storm. Hindsight is wonderful and as the facts get revealed perhaps mistakes were made, perhaps not.

13.5 years ago we were on a cruise with NCL star around Hawaii. The waves were huge. Ship damaged. We returned to Honolulu 3 days early. Offered no refunds but charged gratitudes for full cruise. Got a letter out of the cruiseline stating what had happened and claimed it back on travel insurrance.

The cruiseline however prior to announcing the cruise was being cancelled opened their bars for free cocktails......... Drunk & crying passengers......

We were lucky and had travel insurrance many Americans didn't as they were in their own country. Some would have lost thousands on that cruise.

It took me 7 years to try another cruise.

Not sure I would do NCL again after that.