Ohio couple Claims to Have Been "Held Hostage" on RCL Cruise

I definitely think there is more to the story, but when we had a bridge tour on the Oasis the captain was very clear that they will constantly follow anyone who threatens or insinuates jumping. They take it very seriously.

If they didn't take that comment seriously and she actually jumped then the cruise line looks bad. Tough situation for the cruise line to be in, but I think they made the right decision. Having the gun magazine didn't help the couple either.

I followed that story when it showed up live on Facebook. The couple had internet access throughout the cruise, and chose to contact an on-line publication called "Truth Voice" to tell their tale. I've always thought they have to have left out some important details.

Responsible Gun Owners don't leave magazines laying around or in their luggage.

Guns, Magazines, and Ammunition should always be stored in a safe and secure place.

I agree well said, plus even joking about jumping off the boat is a big no no, It has happened so many times in the last year you cant really tell if someone is joking or not

On my cruise in April, I had an ongoing joke with a crew member about hopping off to go "dolphin-skiing" (strapping each foot onto a dolphin and water skiing in the ship's wake - and no, neither of us were really proposing harming dolphins or skiing behind the ship). It went on from there to joking about whether dolphins had better wifi reception than sharks (don't ask).

At no point was I threatened with being put on suicide watch, so I suspect we're missing part of the couple's story.

ten bucks says as soon as they were confronted by Security they went ballistic on the defensive and overly emotional rather than staying calm and explaining themselves.

as for the sheer idiocy of leaving a weapons magazine( and not the kind with pages) in your luggage?! who DOES that?!

90% of the time things get out of control due to how people (over) react to a situation(Baltimore riots, anyone?!) and make things worse by their attitudes towards the people with the authority.

Make an off the cuff comment to your spouse that is overheard by security in an airport and see what happens to you. Even if there is no more to the story that what we have read the response does not particularly surprise me and I am not so sure that I think it was an over reaction either. Some things you just don't joke about.

Make an off the cuff comment to your spouse that is overheard by security in an airport and see what happens to you. Even if there is no more to the story that what we have read the response does not particularly surprise me and I am not so sure that I think it was an over reaction either. Some things you just don't joke about.

You're right especially in the times we live in now

as for the sheer idiocy of leaving a weapons magazine( and not the kind with pages) in your luggage?! who DOES that?!

:o :o

Double blush because

a) I thought it was an ink and paper type magazine (didn't even think of the other kind) and thought security was being a bit weird about people's reading material

and

b) about 15/16 years ago, I'd been out in the countryside, clay pigeon shooting, and had stupidly put a few shotgun cartridges in a pocket. Forgot about them completely. Going through airport security the next day, presumed there was nothing in my pockets (as I usually never put anything in the pocket of that jacket), set off the metal detector. Emptied my pockets into a tray - sole contents: 3 live shotgun cartridges. Thought "oh ****" when I saw them, but security just took the tray from me, ran it through the x-ray, and handed them back to me after I passed, unbeeping, through the metal detector the second time around.

I decided to keep quiet for fear of causing trouble, but a lot of people weren't doing their job very well that day!