Embarkation:Civitavecchia

Hello all

I am sailing on the Reflection next August out of Civitavecchia and had a few questions!

I have noticed from various pictures that the Reflection's berth in Rome does not appear to have a "walkway to the ship" which you normally find in big ports like Miami and Southampton. Does this mean you have to embark from Deck 2? I have only ever done this once, and that was when i sailed out of Venice. I only ask as we will be sailing with 1st time cruisers and its not the nicest first impression!

Also, is the sparkling wine/OJ given as you walk across the gangplank or do they direct you up somewhere?

Sounds like a silly question but i think of every minor detail!!!

On my last cruise out of Civitavecchia on Reflection we did board as you indicated - I don't recall if it was deck 2 or 3. The "Terminal" is just a large tent type structure.

I do recall the Sparkling Wine and OJ were offered upon entering the ship. From there you could either take the elevator or stairs to a higher floor

Just boarded Reflection this morning in Civitavecchia. Jim_Iain is correct. You enter from the dock onto deck 2 where they hand out the sparkling wine/oj just past the security checkpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This cruise blog shows a photo of people boarding in Civitavecchia from a low deck having passed through a large white tent. I would expect that at Civitavecchia because the port building is fairly far from where the ship is actually docked and you usually ride a port bus in the port to get to your ship if you don't have private transportation:

http://www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk/category/2014-celebrity-reflection-eastern-mediterranean-4-15-aug/

I can't remember about the orange juice and champagne.

The Terminal is a huge tent and you get there either by the free port shuttle or private transportation.

You enter on deck 2 or 3 via a movable gangway. And you will be greeted with sparkling, OJ and Mimosas!

Here's more on a Med cruise on Reflection:

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Reflection-Eastern-Med-01/reflection-eastern-med-01.html

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks everyone. Thought this was the case!

Just a shame, not quite the same entrance! Oh well, it works out well for us as being Concierge this time we can take advantage of the embarkation lunch on the lower decks in the MDR as we get onboard!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone. Thought this was the case!

Just a shame, not quite the same entrance! Oh well, it works out well for us as being Concierge this time we can take advantage of the embarkation lunch on the lower decks in the MDR as we get onboard!

With respect this is very much a first world problem:D

I am sure despite the embarkation you will have a wonderful cruise.

Much prefer the entry at Civitiavecchia as opposed to many embarkation ports where you walk back and forth (and back and forth) for up to 10 minutes winding your way up to the ship.

Agree. You can get some great photos of the ship as you are boarding. The tent terminal is odd but functional and very efficient.

Do you recall what berth the reflection was docked at?

I believe she typically is docked at terminal 25 (26???). At least she was when we boarded in 2014. If so, that is one of the farther/harder places to get to. Definitely not walkable from the train station. The boarding process was a breeze for us. 15 minutes from luggage drop off to walking on the ship. There are two other terminals so be sure and check the sign of daily departures as you enter the port.

Edited by Tommy3putts

Hi!! I'm taking the 10 day Celebrity Reflection cruise on September 30th (Greek Isles, Turkey and Italy). I'm curious... I can't get the cruise line to confirm if we will really go to Esphesus or not and I was curious if your cruise included Turkey? I didn't want to book external shore excursions if we aren't going to stop there. Thanks in advance for your help. Maureen

I am on the Reflection right now and we are definitely going to Kusadasi (unless something big happens in Turkey within the next few days). The sommelier in Luminae (who is from Turkey) said it was cancelled on the last cruise because Erdogan was staying in the area and there were many protesters nearby.

Hi!! I'm taking the 10 day Celebrity Reflection cruise on September 30th (Greek Isles, Turkey and Italy). I'm curious... I can't get the cruise line to confirm if we will really go to Esphesus or not and I was curious if your cruise included Turkey? I didn't want to book external shore excursions if we aren't going to stop there. Thanks in advance for your help. Maureen

We leave on the 7th August on Connie and X confirmed with someone on our roll call that they intend visiting Turkey (as oldtownjns stated), unless anything major happens. They also confirmed they are monitoring the situation closely. Royal ships have been docking all week in Kusadasi so can't see X not doing the same, especially as they are part of the same group ;).

Hi Maureen- I am on that cruise next August, and we got a letter recently telling us they had changed the Kusadasi port to Malta! When asked its because apparently no-one wants to do the tours from the port anymore