5 euros each to leave the ship

antsp

As I posted near the start of this thread, I only posted it to open a discussion, I feel it's wrong to charge, it's not the €5 it's the principal

“When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.”

- H.L. Mencken

While I totally agree with Rocketman and others that it is probably about the money, I really think it is also about safety.

I remember that on our Med cruise in 2009 (not really sure which port but it was Italy) my sister and I saw a passenger get hit in the head and knocked unconscious by a piece of port equipment that they were not looking out for. We happened to be returning to the ship on a bus at the time and wondered why anyone was allowed to wander around in a working port like that. Although I cannot confirm it, the scuttlebutt was that the injury was quite serious, and it was an awful thing to see.

I think 5eu is a small price to pay to avoid that kind of injury. I do wish that there was a better way for them to inform passengers because that could be a nasty surprise if you didn't have an euros on you.

I really think it is also about safety.

While I suspect that you may be right on the safety aspect, to my way of thinking, that is the responsibility of the port itself, to provide a safe way for passengers to get to/from the ship. Either a shuttle bus or a designated walkway or something similar. To use the example used by an earlier poster, if you get off a plane in Dallas, you should be provided safe access to the terminal by the terminal, not charged a fee to get off the plane. But, we do have a similarity with airlines in that they charge you for a bag you take on the plane. The difference there is that you know about the baggage charge before you ever get on the plane so it's not a "gotcha."

Tom

While I suspect that you may be right on the safety aspect, to my way of thinking, that is the responsibility of the port itself, to provide a safe way for passengers to get to/from the ship. Either a shuttle bus or a designated walkway or something similar. Tom

Not gonna happen.

#1 its Italy

#2 Its a major commercial port, they don't need cruise ships there.

Have you seen how run down the majority of the Port of Livorno is?

Have you experienced how far it is from the farthest cruise pier to the . entrance to the port? Its a good 10 plus minutes by vehicle.

I have been in and around the port extensively.

#3 Port owners don't spend money on the upkeep of the port. You think they are going to pump money into improvements for cruise ship passengers?

They will stick with the 5 Euro shuttle.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

As I posted near the start of this thread, I only posted it to open a discussion, I feel it's wrong to charge, it's not the €5 it's the principal

There is also the possibility that someone who has saved very hard for a long time to afford a cruise, might be unable to get off the ship because an undisclosed expenses is too much for their budget! I'm on a Government Benefit-Disabled-so need to cost thoroughly as much as possible to afford things. Cruise Critic members have generously shared much information which makes preparing my budget and savings plan SO much easier! Also the All-Inclusive-Beverage-Package has just become available in Australia for cruises of 8 days or over-mine's only a 3 night Coastal between 2 State Capitals, but am hoping the package proves so popular it will be available when I sail on my cruise-it SURE would help the budgeting! :D Have had a really good run of finding clothing I want on special, so the savings are PROMPTLY allocated towards Cruise spending. Even grocery savings are "earmarked" and it's exciting seeing the totals building up. Sometimes, with a good run of specials, it's quite a big increase, another fortnight it might only be the budgeted saving, but it's steady progress towards my goal!

You're serious? :)

Why stop at Livorno? Abandon Italian ports altogether. Then we'll all see how quickly shakedown fees like this get thrown to the wayside.;) \

In all seriousness, I could see a fee of a Euro(or two for RT), but 5 Euros is a little extortive in the whole scheme of things.

This suggestion coming from someone that does not list a Mediterranean cruise in the history. No wonder..

Dixon

Any guesses as to why? I'm boycotting any cruise with ports on the Appenine Peninsula until rapacious rackets such as these are abolished.

The point is, the ship should not be able to list this on their itinerary if you are not able to leave the ship without paying a fee, and visit the town. If you are not able to do that, then the cruise line should not be able to advertise it as a port, IMO.

There is a difference in taking transportation from the ship to the port entrance and taking transportation into the town next to or near the port.

If you are not allowed to walk from ship to port entrance, there should be transportation available at no charge. (And in my experience, that has always been the case.)

But if you want transportation past the port entrance to somewhere in a town, I would not expect Princess or the port to provide that for free. There are, however, a number of ports that do have such free transportation into town although the majority do not.

There is a difference in taking transportation from the ship to the port entrance and taking transportation into the town next to or near the port.

If you are not allowed to walk from ship to port entrance, there should be transportation available at no charge. (And in my experience, that has always been the case.)

But if you want transportation past the port entrance to somewhere in a town, I would not expect Princess or the port to provide that for free. There are, however, a number of ports that do have such free transportation into town although the majority do not.

hi,this shuttle does go into centre of town and is 5 euro return.its just been mentioned on another thread.cheers,brian.

hi,this shuttle does go into centre of town and is 5 euro return.its just been mentioned on another thread.cheers,brian.

Right, so the 5 Euro charge is not to leave the ship as the thread title suggests, it is to get a ride to/from the town, not just to the port entrance.

Right, so the 5 Euro charge is not to leave the ship as the thread title suggests, it is to get a ride to/from the town, not just to the port entrance.

If there is no way to leave the port for free, then there still is an issue. Yes it's only five euros, but these things have a way of rising especially when it's being done on the back of the tourist. Next year it could be 20.

I believe that if CCL had our backs, they could oppose this or negotiate a flat fee. But I think that CCL, and princess in particular, have shown they care little for the independent passenger.

Edited by Wehwalt

hi,yes it is stated in post 92 on live from island thread currently on page 2,cheers,brian.

hi,yes it is stated in post 92 on live from island thread currently on page 2,cheers,brian.

You can leave the ship and walk 50 feet, the your stuck. No one is expecting a free bus trip into town, all they want is to be able to visit Livarno for free. If Princess charged passengers to use Tenders it would almost be the same thing.

You can leave the ship and walk 50 feet, the your stuck. No one is expecting a free bus trip into town, all they want is to be able to visit Livarno for free. If Princess charged passengers to use Tenders it would almost be the same thing.

No, it wouldn't because this charge is from those running the port, not Princess.

While people are technically correct that its possible to negotiate with ports, in practice, not so much, especially when that port is the only access to a very popular destination. In reality, this is not something they can negotiate away.

Thus, Princess has 3 choices:

1> Provide their own transport - and raise the cost of the cruise a few bucks for everyone even those not leaving the ship.

2> Pay for the shuttle service - and raise the cost of the cruise a few bucks for everyone even those not leaving the ship.

3> Skip one of the most popular ports in the med.

So, which should they do?

While people are technically correct that its possible to negotiate with ports, in practice, not so much, especially when that port is the only access to a very popular destination. In reality, this is not something they can negotiate away.

Thus, Princess has 3 choices:

1> Provide their own transport - and raise the cost of the cruise a few bucks for everyone even those not leaving the ship.

2> Pay for the shuttle service - and raise the cost of the cruise a few bucks for everyone even those not leaving the ship.

3> Skip one of the most popular ports in the med.

So, which should they do?

Excellent summation. There is obviously no answer that will make everyone happy. Of course the third option is not even a possibility. Just ask anyone that has actually been there. Florence and Pisa are amazing. Remember that everyone taking a Princess tour, Private tour or a taxi had the fee included in the fare. (if there was one) however I maintain the fare was most likely for the bus service and not actually for the port.

Dixon

Be careful of what you wish for.

Most likely outcome of a change, it becomes part of the port fee. Everyone has their costs go up, but it is hidden and no one sees it, so no more complaints. Cost is higher, but it is in the port fees not fare, so competitive position is not hurt for the cruise line. Cruise line is happy. Port makes more money so they are happy. Passenger get "free" shuttle into town so they are happy. Everyone is happy