Negative Comments

TMO3CCO1

Hi all! We are fairly new to cruising. We've only been on one cruise to the Western Caribbean on Oasis of the Seas. We are planning our second cruise now to the Eastern Caribbean on Allure of the Seas. Our stops are Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Kitts.

I've read so many people say they don't like Nassau and they won't even get off the ship at that port. We heard the same thing regarding Jamaica and it ended up being our favorite stop. We booked a private tour and had a great time.

My questions...why don't people like Nassau? Are there areas of concern we should be aware of? If you've been there before what didn't you like and what did you like?

I know many of you cruise a lot and so have probably been there a lot so maybe you are just bored with that stop. What were your first impressions the first few times you went there? What did you do?

Hi! We are sailing on Allure in August and Nassau is one of our stops. I can't say I have been there before but we are only going to be there from 7-2 and I wanted a reasonably priced excursion for the short time we are there. So I found the Melia resort where you can get a day pass for $35 a person. If you go on their website it just looks beautiful. So I thought that would be a fun and inexpensive thing to do. From what I understand you can take a short taxi ride there

Nassau doesn't offer the typical Caribbean tropical/beach atmosphere.

And you are correct in saying that many of us have been there so many times that it has become boring.

Also…if the ship is there only a few hours it isn't worth taking a tour or going somewhere.

Nassau doesn't offer the typical Caribbean tropical/beach atmosphere.

And you are correct in saying that many of us have been there so many times that it has become boring.

Also…if the ship is there only a few hours it isn't worth taking a tour or going somewhere.

Totally agree. We are in Nassau so many times a year b/c of short cruise there is NOTHING inviting there anymore. AND for us a huge negative is the resorts own the nice beaches. Any other island you can grab and cab and go to a nice beach without paying a fortune for a day pass. In Nassau other than Cabbage Beach which is really rough and no amenities and Junkanoo (which is where we always go) there are no nice public beaches. So just not our favorite place

There are some fun things to do in Nassau. There's a beach right near where the ship docks. You can walk to Atlantis Resort (it's pretty amazing) and see the huge aquarium and I think, sometimes, they sell day passes, you can go to the straw market right near the ship. There are some restaurants and other shops, wifi, etc.

I think it's mostly a convenience stop since many of the ships are registered there, but we've always gotten off the ship and milled about and found things to do.

I don't know that I'd book a cruise specifically to go there (probably not), but I wouldn't avoid a cruise that does go there.

Tom

I have been there only three times but it just seems to have an uneasy feeling to the island to me. The only reason I can pinpoint is that at a lot of other islands I felt like just another tourist. The locals were used to seeing us but there I felt like I was being watched all the time.... Pretty average person here, so not like I thought that I was being watched because of my looks! :rolleyes:

I tried it but too many other places I would rather go and see!

Edited by BLAMBKY

I'm not a Nassau fan but as another poster stated, there are things to do and it isn't all bad. I'm sure you realize by now take all reviews on ships and ports with a major grain of salt as they say.

I've been cruising for years (1982) so I'm not a fan of the Caribbean and the crowds now. However, I never discourage anyone and last Fall when my Transatlantic cruise stopped at Nassau before Tampa, got off and walked around, had a drink, snack, walked back to the ship. I'm 68, and wasn't the least bit concerned, too many people around to feel threatened.

While I completely agree with Beachnative, I also believe you should make your own judgment. We had a great time the first time we were there.

Just watch your wallet.....pickpockets abound, venders junk is made in China. We were approached to buy drugs and sex, yes, a three- some:eek:

That beach or touring Atlantis sound OK. Have fun, but be aware of the people around you. Not our favorite port by a long shot. You'll love ST Kitts.

Do the train ride.

Last year one of my ports was Nassau. I did not like it due to the people being aggressive. Also, another reason is the treatment of horses. I can't remember what it's called but when they offer you tours on horses. The horses are under weight and there was no water in the bowls for them. It had to be 95 degrees out . They look so sad. Online you can see pictures of them getting abused and dying while giving tours and the people of Nassau dragging the bodies down the street. They don't give a crap about life just about making money. The horses are lined up once you walk into the town part. It's so sad. I never want to see that scene again.

We kind of enjoy Nassau, but we generally just do our own thing and sample the local culture. One thing we've done that's fun is to ride the jitney (local bus) out to Fish Fry (Arawak Cay) and have lunch. It's the #10 bus from downtown - just look for the bus stop. I think the bus costs $1.50 per person and you need the right change. If you tell the driver where you're going, he'll make sure you get off in the right place.

Fish Fry at Arawak Cay is a quaint and colorful cluster of about 20 or so little restaurants which range from walk-up counters to buildings with table seating, a menu, and air conditioning. These places were originally fishermen's shanties where they cleaned, cooked, and sold their fish to folks on the way home from work. The fresh conch is really good! Our 2 favorites so far are O Andros and Twin Brothers, but we haven't tried all of them yet! You can Google Fish Fry to get more info and see some menus. There's also a little plaza there and once we went to eat lunch and found a small classic car show in the plaza, so you never know what might be going on. (I had a hard time pulling Buz away from the cherry '65 Mustang that day...)

After lunch we walk up the road to Ardastra Gardens (about 4 blocks - anyone at Fish Fry can point you in the right direction), which is a very small local zoo. They have a troop of marching flamingos (no, I'm not kidding - they march like a little bright pink drill team, and they all turn around when the guy yells 'About Face.') and a Lory parrot enclosure where you can go in and feed the birds slices of apple at scheduled times each day. (Google Ardastra Gardens to get the time schedule for the parrot feedings and the flamingo shows.) I think it costs about $15pp to get in. After Ardastra, you can walk back down to the main road to catch the bus back to town, or you can get a taxi.

Just a couple of ideas...

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Hi all! We are fairly new to cruising. We've only been on one cruise to the Western Caribbean on Oasis of the Seas. We are planning our second cruise now to the Eastern Caribbean on Allure of the Seas. Our stops are Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Kitts.

I've read so many people say they don't like Nassau and they won't even get off the ship at that port. We heard the same thing regarding Jamaica and it ended up being our favorite stop. We booked a private tour and had a great time.

My questions...why don't people like Nassau? Are there areas of concern we should be aware of? If you've been there before what didn't you like and what did you like?

I know many of you cruise a lot and so have probably been there a lot so maybe you are just bored with that stop. What were your first impressions the first few times you went there? What did you do?

If you haven't been there I would for sure get off for a bit and walk around the downtown area. Granted, not a huge area but at least you can say you were there.

Both times we walked to gray cliff where they have a cigar factory and a chocolate factory. Last time we went to the rum distillery - eh. Then took a cab to fish fry. We enjoy local food so loved that option. Nassau is still new to us and we are not intimated by salespeople or other cultures. We passed an art museum last time I would like to visit.

Both times we walked to gray cliff where they have a cigar factory and a chocolate factory. Last time we went to the rum distillery - eh. Then took a cab to fish fry. We enjoy local food so loved that option. Nassau is still new to us and we are not intimated by salespeople or other cultures. We passed an art museum last time I would like to visit.

Yes! I loved the chocolate factory tour and workshop!

DSC07278_zpse387da01.jpg

DSC07277_zpsc302b176.jpg

DSC07279_zpsc8115e8e.jpg

DSC07281_zps34512229.jpg

DSC07282_zpsdc61fab5.jpg

DSC07286_zps6d53cdd4.jpg

We spend the day at the British Colonial Hilton. Great beach, fabulous food, and walking distance from the ship.. It has the "Caribbean" feel we like from a port. As others have said. Make your own opinions.. Most of all: HAVE FUN

The only thing we've done at Nassau is swim with dolphins at Atlantis and sea lions at Blue Lagoon. I liked Blue Lagoon a lot, they pick you up in a boat and it was a nice ride. We surprised our 9 year old with the sea lions for her birthday and the 3 of us had a great time.

I'm the kind of person who is happy to never get off the ship, that's the best time to swim!

Just watch your wallet.....pickpockets abound, venders junk is made in China. We were approached to buy drugs and sex, yes, a three- some:eek:

That beach or touring Atlantis sound OK. Have fun, but be aware of the people around you. Not our favorite port by a long shot. You'll love ST Kitts.

Do the train ride.

In St. Kitts, if possible, do the Volcano excursion. Did it last year.. AMAZING....

We spend the day at the British Colonial Hilton. Great beach, fabulous food, and walking distance from the ship.. It has the "Caribbean" feel we like from a port. As others have said. Make your own opinions.. Most of all: HAVE FUN

Was there a charge at the hotel?

WOW! I'm loving these ideas! I was worried we wouldn't find anything to do but now I have so many I won't know which to choose. It is great to know both the negative and the positive so we go in better prepared for all experiences.:):)

WOW! I'm loving these ideas! I was worried we wouldn't find anything to do but now I have so many I won't know which to choose. It is great to know both the negative and the positive so we go in better prepared for all experiences.:):)

"There's a board for that."

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58