Warning to same day flyers

Granny DI

Assuming that "AF flight" means that it was operated by Air France, then this is incorrect. Air France was obliged by law to provide care, including meals and hotel accommodation, during the delay to their journey, even if this was caused by weather. And that itself assumes that AF's CoC did not already include that provision.

AF was also obliged to give them information about these rights, so it sounds like the airline may have failed on two counts here.

If your friends are out of pocket, they should think about making a claim. The relevant legislation is usually referred to as Regulation EC 261/2004 (or something very similar) and the AF website ought to have some information about this.

Their entire original itinerary was booked through DL. They were on an inbound DL flight to JFK that was late due to weather. When it became clear that they'd miss the DL outbound connection from JFK, DL rebooked them on the AF (operated) flight out of JFK. But it was a tight connection to begin with and when the inbound DL flight was further delayed, it caused them to not be able to get to the AF gate in time. Is AF still obligated under those circumstances? I don't know the ins and outs of the EC rule, but I wouldn't think so, because AF had nothing whatsoever to do with their arrival or non-arrival to JFK. The AF flight was simply at attempted solution to a DL weather issue.

In any event, they were somewhat lucky in that one of the 5 has a relative who lives on Long Island, 20 min from JFK and that person put them up for the night.

Mina,

Check your reservation for changes from time to time.

It wouldn't hurt to have a list of alternate flight possibilities with you in case of irops or weather.

US/AA will work with you even if you booked with points. The problem is generally seat availability.

Don't worry too much about your flights....think about your wonderful cruise.

thank you. I have printed a list of potential flights for the next day. I also just checked Flightstats and the flight I am currently booked on has a 0% cancellation in the past year. Of course, now that I have publically noted that -- Murphy will strike:) Regardless, I am ready for potential options. Now, relax and focus on packing options.

Here is another story for those who think, I will take an early flight. This way if there is a problem, there will be plenty of connecting flights.

I have a flight leaving Dulles at 0815 hours. We are on the plane sitting on the runway ready to take off. Then the plane makes a right turn and parks. We were delayed for about 1 1/2 hours due to the airports being shut down due to weather in the area. at 0940 hours, we finally take off.

By the time we landed in Houston, I had already missed my connecting flight. I was placed on stand-by. The 1215 flight was full. So was the 230 pm flight and the 345 pm flight. I was told that I had a guaranteed seat on the 910 pm flight. I was able to get a seat on the 545 pm flight.

These days, most flights are full. The airlines will not bump another passenger in order to accommodate passengers on stand-by regardless on the price you paid for your ticket (refundable vs. non-refundable).

I strongly suggest flying the day before even if there are other connecting flights available throughout the day.

The airlines will not bump another passenger in order to accommodate passengers on stand-by regardless on the price you paid for your ticket (refundable vs. non-refundable).

Government statisticians don't "ding" an airline's statistics for weather-caused disruptions and the airline isn't required to compensate you. That is not true for an involuntary or voluntary "bump". It's in their best interest to not bump anyone, and you're already a distressed passenger so why create another?

If you were a "1%er" customer of the airline, events might roll differently.

The amount paid for your ticket (and a number of other factors) definitely determines your rebooking priority onto a later flight.

Edited by kenish

The amount paid for your ticket (and a number of other factors) definitely determines your rebooking priority onto a later flight.

Very true. On our recent flight to Europe, our first flight segment, from FLL to ATL, was delayed due to weather elsewhere. We were concerned that if it was any further delayed, we'd miss the connection to our TATL flight. There was an earlier flight to ATL that was full so we were put on the standby list.... but due to our elite level frequent flyer status with the airline we were #'s 6 & 7 on the list, as opposed to being added to the end (approx #'s in the 30's). We got the last 2 seats on the flight. :D

Government statisticians don't "ding" an airline's statistics for weather-caused disruptions and the airline isn't required to compensate you. That is not true for an involuntary or voluntary "bump". It's in their best interest to not bump anyone, and you're already a distressed passenger so why create another?

I read the post to perhaps mean- that the airline is not going to bump any people off a full flight? (which is true for revenue passengers) Absolutely there are "ranks" for status with standby lists.

I've been flying for many years all over the world. Yesterday was to be simple trip to DFW via Philadelphia. Thirty minutes before departure the delayed sign began flashing. Then all the flights were flashing. Walked to the windows at my gate and saw 16 fire trucks, police, ambulances and black helicopters. They was a plane that was returning to the airport after a short flight. At this point we're all thinking plane crash. The plane landed safely at the end of the airport but the airport was immediately shut down. All flights diverted and we had to go back outside of security because every flight was cancelled. This was a terror incident.

The airport finally reopened about 4 hours later. I had new tickets to DFW via Charlotte. We were delayed another hour but pilot made up time....just to sit on the Tarmac for 45 minutes in Charlotte. It was a 20 minute RUN to my gate but I made the plane. I arrived in DFW about 10. I guess this is to be expected in our crazy world. I needed to be in Dallas yesterday, so from now on I'm going a day early. It's not worth the stress!

I agree with you 150 percent. In fact its worth the extra $$ for a Hotel the night before. For my Father and my upcoming Barcelona-Dubai Cruise since we have been to Barcelona before and our flight gets in at 7:45 PM the day before the cruise I found an Airport Hotel with a Free Shuttle from the Airport as well as a Shuttle at 11:00AM(Perfect time as checkin opens at 11:30) for 15 Euros a Person. Breakfast is included and we're paying $80.

My point is why arrive all stressed and jetlagged wen you can take a nice bath and swim in the pool and have a good breakfast the next morning vs counting the seconds when your plane is delayed. Also our hotel is 20 minutes to the Port vs being 5,000 miles away on a delayed flight I would pick option 1.

The same goes for the arrival into Dubai we are staying one night and two days as the flight leaves at 1:45 AM on Sunday and we arrive at 6 AM on Friday with Customs etc we figure to be off the ship about 9ish. My point is there are really no flights leaving Dubai until 1:45 AM so why not spend the night as opposed to finding a place for the bags.

Even if I lived 50 miles from the Port(San Francisco) I would spend the night before with my Brother and then head to the port in the morning refreshed and beat all the rushour traffic and even have time for a nice breakfast at a coffee shop before going to the Port. Just because the port is close to home one should take into account rush hour and if your car breaks down the day of the cruise etc.

Edited by travelplus

Very true. On our recent flight to Europe, our first flight segment, from FLL to ATL, was delayed due to weather elsewhere. We were concerned that if it was any further delayed, we'd miss the connection to our TATL flight. There was an earlier flight to ATL that was full so we were put on the standby list.... but due to our elite level frequent flyer status with the airline we were #'s 6 & 7 on the list, as opposed to being added to the end (approx #'s in the 30's). We got the last 2 seats on the flight. :D

Correct, I was considered a priority Stand by and sent to the front of the line.

My point is that for those who say, oh, there are other connecting flights later in the day. If I take the early flight, I should have not problems.

Well, as long as there are open seats, yes, you will be able to get on a later flight. Since most of the flights are flying full, there is a higher possibility that you may not make it to the ship on time.

My point is that for those who say, oh, there are other connecting flights later in the day. If I take the early flight, I should have not problems.

Well, as long as there are open seats, yes, you will be able to get on a later flight. Since most of the flights are flying full

Agreed. I cringe when I see people post "...so if there's a problem with my flight they'll just put me on the next flight, right?" I don't know whether infrequent flyers assume there are always empty seats, or if they honestly think the airline will kick a pax off that next flight to accommodate them.

My Guy and I had a direct flight from Minneapolis to Louisville. It was a beautiful day across the country and an hour prior to take off, our flight was cancelled. Not delay. Cancelled. We were told it was due to not enough airplane staffing. The only way to get back to Louisville from Minneapolis that day was to fly to Madison, then from Madison to Detroit, then from Detroit to Louisville. Despite having to take three flights to get home, it only slowed us down by five hours.

The other time I had an unexpected delay was aboard a flight where a gentleman was having a heart attack and we had to make an unscheduled emergency landing. The plane was detoured so the gentleman could be offloaded to an ambulance. It probably didn't add more than two hours to the entire flight. But, I'll never forgot the obnoxious guy a few rows ahead of me who berated the flight attendant for being delayed AGAIN, and how he'd been trying to get home for over a day. Forget about the poor guy who nearly died in flight! Geez.

It was a beautiful day across the country and an hour prior to take off, our flight was cancelled. Not delay. Cancelled. We were told it was due to not enough airplane staffing.

There are strict federal regulations on duty hours for flight crew, both in the cockpit and in the cabin. Too many hours and you can't work. There are also minimum staffing numbers in the cabin (1 FA for every 50 seats or fraction thereof). So it doesn't matter about the weather outside; if there aren't the right number of qualified bodies, the flight doesn't go. Period.

It was a beautiful day across the country

There are strict federal regulations on duty hours for flight crew, both in the cockpit and in the cabin. Too many hours and you can't work. There are also minimum staffing numbers in the cabin (1 FA for every 50 seats or fraction thereof). So it doesn't matter about the weather outside; if there aren't the right number of qualified bodies, the flight doesn't go. Period.

To add to FlyerTalker's explanation, a delay due to staffing still could be weather related. If there was bad weather the day before, a crew might have had to work more than their scheduled number of hours, and due to mandatory crew rest requirements, their flight the next day could be delayed or possibly (probably less likely but you never know) canceled.

Exactly, FlyerTalker. And waterbug123, too. That is very likely the reason our flight was cancelled. Being a beautiful day in our departure city, and across the nation that day, it just didn’t seem like we would have any delay. But one never knows! We, like Granny Di, think it’s not worth the stress to arrive on the day the cruise departs. We prefer to go in at least one day early, sometimes a couple of days early depending on the port.

I used to fly in the day of the cruise and never had a problem --- until my daughter and a friend were to meet me in San Juan. They were flying in from Chicago and I flew in from Augusta, GA. I could not find them at the airport - I figured I had missed them so just went to the terminal -- but they weren't there. Bus after bus arrived with passengers but they didn't show up - till right towards the last. Someone had a heart attack and the plane turned around to make an emergency landing in Miami. I was almost cruising solo - now I always fly in 1 or 2 days prior to sailing.

Edited by Jane2357

I was almost cruising solo ...
At least you were almost cruising solo.

Once, I had made my own way to Fort Lauderdale the day before the cruise. My family were flying from NYC on the morning of departure. There was a big storm in the Fort Lauderdale area, as a result of which their flight was very late.

For some reason, they had refused to send me my cruise ticket ahead of time. So if they had not actually made it to the ship before sailing time, I wouldn't have been cruising at all even though I wasn't the person who was delayed!

At least you were almost cruising solo.

Once, I had made my own way to Fort Lauderdale the day before the cruise. My family were flying from NYC on the morning of departure. There was a big storm in the Fort Lauderdale area, as a result of which their flight was very late.

For some reason, they had refused to send me my cruise ticket ahead of time. So if they had not actually made it to the ship before sailing time, I wouldn't have been cruising at all even though I wasn't the person who was delayed!

Nice change, that now, you don't need any "tickets". :)

We are booked on the Regal Princess out of FLL in February. I am nervous and have been going back and forth regarding flight times. I am not a frequent coast to coast traveler and will be coming from Seattle. Reading the posts, I will for sure fly in the day before. Any recommendations regarding which connections to avoid or choose? Should we try for the Southern route through AZ or TX? Direct flight is not an option. Maybe we should fly in two days earlier and enjoy Fort Lauderdale?

We are booked on the Regal Princess out of FLL in February. I am nervous and have been going back and forth regarding flight times. I am not a frequent coast to coast traveler and will be coming from Seattle. Reading the posts, I will for sure fly in the day before. Any recommendations regarding which connections to avoid or choose? Should we try for the Southern route through AZ or TX? Direct flight is not an option. Maybe we should fly in two days earlier and enjoy Fort Lauderdale?

On any given day, you could encounter an issue anywhere. Some will say connect in a southern city in Feb because you are less likely to run into a snowstorm. Others will say don't listen to that, because if a southern city does get snow, they are ill-equipped to handle it, whereas northern cities/airports have the experience and equipment on hand. My .02? Weather anywhere in the country can affect a flight anywhere else. Ex. You fly from SEA, connect at ATL, and continue on to FLL. The weather in all 3 cities is great....but your aircraft is coming into SEA from DEN and was delayed there due to weather, or your crew was coming in from SLC and was delayed there due to weather. The main thing is that you are planning to fly in a day or two early. That is your best insurance!

AA has a non-stop from SEA to MIA. Consider that instead of connecting anywhere.

Also, Alaska has a nonstop SEA-FLL, but it's pretty pricy for that weekend. For example, the AS nonstop on Saturday Feb 6 is $339 pp one way. The AA SEA-MIA flight is a red-eye departing Friday night (the 5th) for about $294 pp. Meanwhile, DL has SEA-DTW-FLL leaving early Saturday morning for $190 pp. Personally, I would take the connecting flight to save a couple hundred dollars (assuming there are two travelers).

We have a connoisseur cruise tour booked for next June and will be flying into Fairbanks. The trip includes the hotel the night before anything starts but we are still wondering if we should fly in a full day in advance just "to be sure". The flights don't get into Fairbanks until quite late. It would be a drag to have the flight delayed and find that we were too trashed to do the first day activities. (The first day is actually in Fairbanks so we wouldn't miss the train or bus or whatever but there are excursions scheduled for the first day.)