Taste of the freestyle drinks

bigsky

Went on the Oasis a little over a yr ago. IF I drink diet coke from a fountain, I like these freestyle machines that have the coke zero. LOVE the taste! But I found on Oasis, it didn't taste the same and wasn't very good. Wondering if it was just a fluke or do others find it tastes different?

We're going on the Allure, and want to get the beverage pkg again, but thinking twice if my favorite drink just doesn't taste that good.

Any input?

Went on the Oasis a little over a yr ago. IF I drink diet coke from a fountain, I like these freestyle machines that have the coke zero. LOVE the taste! But I found on Oasis, it didn't taste the same and wasn't very good. Wondering if it was just a fluke or do others find it tastes different?

We're going on the Allure, and want to get the beverage pkg again, but thinking twice if my favorite drink just doesn't taste that good.

Any input?

It is far from a normal drink machine. Instead of the giant syrup containers, the Freestyle machine dispenses small amounts of flavor along with the specific sweetener (artificial or otherwise) and the carbonated water. http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/everything-you-need-to-know-about-coca-cola-freestyle/

I have found that the water used makes a huge difference. The sweetener and flavors are very consistent in the machine cartridges.

I think it depends on the mix of fizzy to syrup.......It's a basic drink machine!

Maybe a basic drink machine, but it's taste isn't close to what it tastes like at home. Just asked....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...

Any input?

My guess is it was a fluke. I had a fluke week on Allure in 2011 and they were great on the other ships and on Allure in 2013 and everyship since. They are very computer controlled and fairly consistent. We saw some of the first freestyle machines on land here in Columbus, Ohio and the early machines had a tendency do drip for 30 seconds or so after one person used them, so you might occasionally get something you didn't like. I once got a Coke Zero but got a shot of grape from the previous user and it tasted awful. The machines Royal got back around 2009 or 10 were 2nd generation.

I found that even the Freestyle machine at our local McD's was inconsistent, but then found that even the water tasted funny because it picks up the flavours of what was poured previously. So now before filling my cup, I select plain water and run it for a little bit.

Not sure if that's even possible on the ship board machines since they A) might not have water as a choice and 2) are coded to prevent you from filling a second cup with a different drink. Worth a try though.

I found that even the Freestyle machine at our local McD's was inconsistent, but then found that even the water tasted funny because it picks up the flavours of what was poured previously. So now before filling my cup, I select plain water and run it for a little bit.

Not sure if that's even possible on the ship board machines since they A) might not have water as a choice and 2) are coded to prevent you from filling a second cup with a different drink. Worth a try though.

I've seen the machines have a minimum 15-minute time period between using the same cup.

I love these machines, but my experience is that if you are drinking a normal soda (coke, diet coke, sprite, coke zero, etc) they are pretty much identical or close to what you get in a regular fountain. However, when you start adding the flavors (cherry, grape, lime, lemon, orange, etc) to the mix, it will taste a lot different. For example, I love cherry coke or cherry coke zero, but the cherry flavoring in these machines is just different. They aren't like what you get that is already premixed in a fountain.

All soda machines, and soda guns will be slightly different because these items mix the soda at the machine. A can or bottle of soda, is manufactured under strict quality control and will taste the same. Ship to ship, restaurant to restaurant will be different!

as someone who used to work in a restaurant where we had one of these, the taste SHOULD be consistent, as they all use cartridges. If the taste was off, it was probably due to low Co2 or maybe a bad cartridge. Was probably either co2 needed to be refilled or a fluke!

I cringed when they put these crappy things in the movie theaters around here. I HATE the way the drinks taste - consistently NOT like what they should regardless of where I have encountered them.

So far I've been lucky and the size ships I prefer to cruise on don't have them. I know it's wishful thinking to think it will remain that way though. :( But I guess it would be a good way for me to kick my diet Coke habit...

I cringed when they put these crappy things in the movie theaters around here. I HATE the way the drinks taste - consistently NOT like what they should regardless of where I have encountered them.

So far I've been lucky and the size ships I prefer to cruise on don't have them. I know it's wishful thinking to think it will remain that way though. :( But I guess it would be a good way for me to kick my diet Coke habit...

Nobody will force you to use the machines even if they do get installed, you know. :rolleyes: You can still just go to any bar and order a diet Coke.

I've seen the machines have a minimum 15-minute time period between using the same cup.

The machines do allow you to "mix" your drinks -- I've seen kids make a "suicide" by putting a little bit of every type of flavor into the same cup. (BLECH!)

The time-out feature only seems to kick in when you've dispensed significantly more than a full cup's worth, not just changing flavors. It also lets you wait a few seconds for the foam to settle, then top up the cup.

I've also only personally seen a lower time limit, more like five minutes -- they might have lowered it due to the plausibility of someone gulping a drink and wanting a legitimate refill right away.

The time-out feature only seems to kick in when you've dispensed significantly more than a full cup's worth, not just changing flavors. It also lets you wait a few seconds for the foam to settle, then top up the cup.

Perhaps it doesn't start the timer until you remove your cup?

Second question, since you have to hold your cup further back to get ice (in the land-based ones, anyway), is there anything to prevent someone from getting ice in a regular cup? Might be a quick way to get just ice if the bar is busy.

Edited by TBone2K

I fine all the freestyle machines to be a little off from the fountain. Even at our AMC they are off. I usually get regular sprite and there is a difference. If I add a flavor that seems to mask the off flavor but sometimes makes it too sweet.

We always got regular sprite from any of the bars. IMO it was much better. They even fill the freestyle cups. Plus there was almost never a wait at the bars. :-)

Second question, since you have to hold your cup further back to get ice (in the land-based ones, anyway), is there anything to prevent someone from getting ice in a regular cup? Might be a quick way to get just ice if the bar is busy.

Sorry, I don't ever get ice, so I can't answer that question. I'll try to check it out next month when I'm on Oasis, though -- it's a good question to know the answer to!

as someone who used to work in a restaurant where we had one of these, the taste SHOULD be consistent, as they all use cartridges. If the taste was off, it was probably due to low Co2 or maybe a bad cartridge. Was probably either co2 needed to be refilled or a fluke!

There are two types of machines. Pre-mix and Post-mix.

Pre-mix: The beverage comes already mixed and ready to dispense into a glass. The canisters are filled at the brand name bottling plant.. Think of a 5 gallon stainless steel can of Coke. SHOULD BE EXACTLTY THE SAME.

Post-mix: The beverage is made from a canister of SYRUP supplied by let's say the CocaCola company and it is then mixed with carbonated water either in a machine or a soda gun. The flavor on these depend on the quality of the water, the carbonation level and the precise setting of the proportion of syrup to water when the beverage is dispensed.

P.S. Since the beverage on a POST-MIX machine is made with refrigerated water (must be cold to be carbonated) you get more by asking for no ice, and it still will be cold.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

There are two types of machines. Pre-mix and Post-mix.

Pre-mix: The beverage comes already mixed and ready to dispense into a glass. The canisters are filled at the brand name bottling plant.. Think of a 5 gallon stainless steel can of Coke. SHOULD BE EXACTLTY THE SAME.

Post-mix: The beverage is made from a canister of SYRUP supplied by let's say the CocaCola company and it is then mixed with carbonated water either in a machine or a soda gun. The flavor on these depend on the quality of the water, the carbonation level and the precise setting of the proportion of syrup to water when the beverage is dispensed.

P.S. Since the beverage on a POST-MIX machine is made with refrigerated water (must be cold to be carbonated) you get more by asking for no ice, and it still will be cold.

bosco

Have never heard of a freestyle machine being available in pre-mix or post-mix. All the freestyle machines I have seen have the cartridges as described by the pp. We have found these machines to be fairly consistent since it is computer regulated.

Perhaps it doesn't start the timer until you remove your cup?

You can get ice but depending on the ship there are not empty glasses nearby and often the machines were low/out of ice during peak times.

Have never heard of a freestyle machine being available in pre-mix or post-mix. All the freestyle machines I have seen have the cartridges as described by the pp. We have found these machines to be fairly consistent since it is computer regulated.

'

Never said the Freestyle machines were Pre-Mix. Just an attempt at explaining how the most common beverage dispensers worked and possibly why some produced a beverage that may or may not be exactly the same as canned or bottled. I don't know what cartridges are?? My last bar was 20 years ago so I guess I have been out of the loop LOL

I've worked with every type, hand pumped syrup and a Soda Fountain Carbonated water dispenser, Jockey box and refrigerated pre-mix sodas as well as wines and mixers on tap and every kind of beer system and find it amazing how inventive the machines have become from the days of the soda jerk to today. Great stuff for sure.

bosco

• 1 month later...