Message in a bottle washed up

and this is an uninhabited Island.....

38 million pieces of plastic waste found on uninhabited South Pacific island

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/may/15/38-million-pieces-of-plastic-waste-found-on-uninhabited-south-pacific-island

Wonder which cadet journo had the task of counting the pieces?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Wonder which cadet journo had the task of counting the pieces?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

They do not count the pieces. In a situation like that they count the pieces in one square meter and multiply it by the average square meters they see litter in and come up with an average number.

When I was a little lad, we were visiting some great uncle's farm. One of the Kelly's from up around New Norcia.

So, I was looking at this sea of wool and asked how they knew how many sheep they had.

Easy, he said, we count the legs and divide by 4.

(As a total nothing to do with this, but for Mr Gut. On the other side of my family my grandfather and great grandfather were born in Newcastle. Apparently a long time ago.)

When I was a little lad, we were visiting some great uncle's farm. One of the Kelly's from up around New Norcia.

So, I was looking at this sea of wool and asked how they knew how many sheep they had.

(As a total nothing to do with this, but for Mr Gut. On the other side of my family my grandfather and great grandfather were born in Newcastle. Apparently a long time ago.)

I really like his answer. Apparently counting sheep (not someone trying to go to sleep) is quite an art. Experienced people can do it very quickly.

I don't think that works with counting bits of rubbish on a beach. I agree with the comment, that they would count the pieces in a set area and regard that as representative of the larger space.

Well we might treat you like a local then, (any idea where in the area)?

My family where cattlemen and gave the same answer count the legs divide by 4, don't count the horns to baby of the buggers manage to break one off.

Well we might treat you like a local then, (any idea where in the area)?

My family where cattlemen and gave the same answer count the legs divide by 4, don't count the horns to baby of the buggers manage to break one off.

As far as I can work out, it was Merewether. GF born in 1894, but enlisted in WA in 1915, shown as bushman and camel driver.

Whichever of the ancestors came from Wales was listed as a miner.

As far as I can work out, it was Merewether. GF born in 1894, but enlisted in WA in 1915, shown as bushman and camel driver.

Whichever of the ancestors came from Wales was listed as a miner.

Must have been well off even then to be in Merewether, my mob (mum's side) were miners but lived out in the coal fields, firstly around Minmi then Cessnock.

A few of dads extended family enlisted in WA in the early years a couple got medals, some VC thingy. One poor bugger, seems they were determined to kill him off.

First landers at Gallipoli

Survive that did you try Pozziers for a while

How about Ypres next

Back to the Somme for a while

How about the Hindenburg line

Meanwhile mums family were told "stay home and dig out coal" dad's father and uncle were told 'stay home and produce food and break horses for the cavalry".