NCL low pricing!!

stoker2017

This is our first cruise experience~about to take the NCL sun to Alaska, we keep receiving emails with lower pricing, and all we get is lip service from NCL! No customer service with a refund, upgrade, or ship credit! Our cruise consultant that we booked with in October is no longer with NCL! We are not taking about a small amount of $, for example now the balcony cabins are selling for $699.00 and we paid an excess of $1800.00!!! HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Wish we would have chosen another cruise line for our first cruise experience!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's the way the cruise industry works. All cruise lines do what you are describing.

If the price had gone up, would you have been willing to pay the new, higher price?

You just learned the definition of "have your cake and eat it too".

Next time, read the contract and terms you agree you when booking. Understand the cancellation and re-booking policies. If you can't be bothered to read, then find a forum like this first and ask.

Jumping on the internet with all-caps and exclamation points accomplishes nothing.

You were obviously willing to pay $1800...sorry, $1800!!! so you are going to get exactly what you paid for.

Remember that day when you booked? The price was no problem then, right?

Don't worry that NCL is trying to fill the last few unsold staterooms at a discounted price. That's how it works. Sometimes, the price goes UP after people book. People who book early don't have to pay extra for the "new" price just as when the price goes DOWN, people aren't guaranteed to get anything (lower price, upgrade, OBC) from NCL or any line. If you get something, great. If not, that's life.

I don't see where there is a Balcony Room for less than $999. There are Insides for as low as $499.00 on the Sun. I don't know when your cruise is, but I would do a dummy booking to see if there is that much of a difference. Is $1800 your total price or per person? You need to do a dummy booking and compare with your documents. If you are after final payment, there isn't much that can be done as far as a refund. You might get an upgrade to a mini suite or what I call a deluxe balcony. This is what is on NCL's cruise line for the SUN when I looked just now. This is without port fees or taxes.

Caveat Emptor.

If you were happy to pay $1800 when you booked why are you unhappy now. Perhaps if you looked at what you have got for what YOU paid it won't look as bad. You could always cancel and take advantage of the lower fares.

Yes, life is not fair, my disappointment is how the industry must work. This is our first experience and not a great one to say the least! After my research, we should have booked through [a TA]; they will refund any lower price found! Live and learn I guess [...]

Yep, live and learn. And also there is absolutely no TA (travel agent - the forum rules prohibit us naming them) that would have helped you in a case like this.

What you are describing applies only to the time of booking where they might match price of another TA if their price is lower on that moment only - not later when the cruise lines have fire sales to sell out last unsold cabins after final payment deadline has passed.

At least you now have an option where to book, and must monitor constantly price movements to avail of possible price reductions for instructions to your TA.

Don't give OP false hopes. No TA can get them price reductions the cruise line wouldn't. If the cruise line won't make the change (meaning that they must be after final payment), TA can't do that either.

What price are higher categories going for? I booked an inside guarantee after final payment and prices fell through the floor the following week. Of course, I wasn't able to get a refund, but I was able to pay $260ish (including grats) to go from an inside to a balcony and I picked up $125 in refundable OBC and a SDP in the process. Maybe it's possible for you to pay a nominal amount and upgrade to a higher stateroom with more perks? I know that spending more money is probably the last thing you want to do, but my upgrade took me from feeling like I got a raw deal to feeling like I got a great deal.

But yeah, it's the luck of the draw on price when you book. I try to remember that if I'm happy with the price I paid when I booked, then I got a decent deal. But of course it's only natural to want to get the best price possible. Please try not to ruin your holiday over it.

Carnival has the type of program OP may be looking for. With early saver (available when booking several months in advance), any price drop either comes directly off the bill or is granted in OBC if after final payment. When we booked through the program, it seemed that their prices fluctuated much more frequently than NCL's

This is our first cruise experience~about to take the NCL sun to Alaska, we keep receiving emails with lower pricing, and all we get is lip service from NCL! No customer service with a refund, upgrade, or ship credit! Our cruise consultant that we booked with in October is no longer with NCL! We are not taking about a small amount of $, for example now the balcony cabins are selling for $699.00 and we paid an excess of $1800.00!!! HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Wish we would have chosen another cruise line for our first cruise experience!!!

F

Dont fret ..ship happens my cruise is now hAlf what I paid for it ..I.m not happy but they needed to fill the ship so they slashed prices

Just go forget about it ..All cruise lines have the same rules after final payment ...no refunds , no upgrades etc ...if you want to wait till last minute you may not have choice of cabin or amenity ...but that is an option

nCL is just like all other companies no different

Price usually (not always) drops when the final payments are due, most people have to request vacation time from work, book airfare etc so they have to plan out months or a year in advance. I wish we lived closer to a port but being land locked in Minnesota this is just a way of life.

Like someone else said - if they raised the price and called you to say you needed to pay more would you?

That's the way the cruise industry works. All cruise lines do what you are describing.

If the price had gone up, would you have been willing to pay the new, higher price?

You just learned the definition of "have your cake and eat it too".

Next time, read the contract and terms you agree you when booking. Understand the cancellation and re-booking policies. If you can't be bothered to read, then find a forum like this first and ask.

Jumping on the internet with all-caps and exclamation points accomplishes nothing.

Stoker,

Don't mind these people... I noticed when I first joined, there is always the same old crew who are less than welcoming and like to belittle posters, especially new ones. Just because the cruiseline has the right to screw a customer based on the terms of the contract, doesn't mean they should, or it's right. I don't feel you deserve the experience you had, nor the reactions you've had from many of the people who replied. It does suck what you went through, and you probably don't have any recourse, so it's a lesson learned the hard way. Good luck though.. and don't mind the trolls. Just don't feed them and they'll go away.

-Keith

Stoker,

Don't mind these people... I noticed when I first joined, there is always the same old crew who are less than welcoming and like to belittle posters, especially new ones. Just because the cruiseline has the right to screw a customer based on the terms of the contract, doesn't mean they should, or it's right. I don't feel you deserve the experience you had, nor the reactions you've had from many of the people who replied. It does suck what you went through, and you probably don't have any recourse, so it's a lesson learned the hard way. Good luck though.. and don't mind the trolls. Just don't feed them and they'll go away.

-Keith

How are they screwing the customer?! So, every single person who booked at a higher price should be entitled to the lowest price offered to sell the few remaining cabins? They'd be out of business.

Stoker,

-Keith

What you view as trolls, I view as people trying to explain the reality of the situation to a naive consumer. I guess we should all lie to each other.

How are they screwing the customer?

I agree. It sucks, but I wouldn't call it "screwing the customer."

This really isn't any different from buying anything else only to have it go on sale/clearance for much less than what you paid. It happens all the time, unfortunately. It actually just happened to me this week at the grocery store. Granted, the amount involved was much less than the OP has at stake, but it adds up.

I live within driving distance of a 2 ports, am self-employed, and I'm not really picky about cabin location. I booked less than 2 months out thinking I got a great deal and the watched price fall farther and farther. I was able to save it as I mentioned upthread, but I've also seen it where I gauge it correctly and watch prices go right back up pretty much right after I book.

I think anyone who's ever bought anything has had this happen to them at one time or another, but that, of course, doesn't make it any easier to accept :mad:

Stoker,

-Keith

Being honest, realistic and providing factual information doesn't equate to trolling. Not every "woe is me" thread is going to be received with a group hug.

stoker,

don't mind these people... I noticed when i first joined, there is always the same old crew who are less than welcoming and like to belittle posters, especially new ones. Just because the cruiseline has the right to screw a customer based on the terms of the contract, doesn't mean they should, or it's right. I don't feel you deserve the experience you had, nor the reactions you've had from many of the people who replied. It does suck what you went through, and you probably don't have any recourse, so it's a lesson learned the hard way. Good luck though.. And don't mind the trolls. Just don't feed them and they'll go away.

-keith

agree :)

I'm sure the "699.00" cabins are BX GTY cabins. No perks..No ability to pick a cabin. Do a mock booking and see what the apples to apples fare is for your exact category . As others have said you may be able to upgrade to a mini suite. Otherwise NCL will sometimes give you OBC equal to 25% of the difference of what you paid to where the price is now.

Welcome to cruising. Unfortunately all of the lines do the same thing. Do yourself a favor and never look at pricing of your cruise once final payment has been made. It can lead to nothing but frustration most of the time. And you dont want to ruin what should be an amazing vacation for you and your family.

first a question and then a comment: Are you saying the price you paid was $1800 a person? wow!!! Are you also saying the $699 includes taxes and port charges? Port charges can very very high,especially in Alaska.

Now for my comment, like others have said: they run specials close to sailing dates to attract new passengers. You can't call an airline just prior to flying and ask for a reduced rate. The same is true with all cruise lines, not just NCL. Once in awhile they will give a small OBC, but that is about it. So do not think NCL is so horrible. I am going to say what I do often and that is: when cruising for the first time or two it helps to have a travel agent, but it is too late for that now. I will also clarify no agent will get you a lower price just because the price drops after final payment. They would, however keep you informed of changes and help to explain to you how the industry works. Remember you booked knowing the price; it the price had gone up and they wanted to charge you more, how would you react? :rolleyes:

Edited by newmexicoNita

Not horrible customer service, just an uninformed consumer. If the price had gone up would you expect to pay more for your cruise?

When you purchase a car and there is a sale the next month, do you go get a refund?

How about airlines, do you monitor that and beg for a refund from the airlines if the price goes down? (Southwest does that, but none other I know of)

If you eat at a restaurant one day and there is a special the next day, do you go get a refund?

It's business and most all business' work this way.