Christmas at Sea

Snooksi

We will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam this Christmas and it will be our first Christmas at sea and our first cruise with HAL. What special things are done on ships for Christmas besides the decorations? Is Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve or Christmas day? Will they have a special Christmas show? Will they sell table size Christmas trees as a floral gift so we can buy one for our cabin? My kids are teenagers but will there be anything special for their age?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

We will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam this Christmas and it will be our first Christmas at sea and our first cruise with HAL. What special things are done on ships for Christmas besides the decorations? Is Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve or Christmas day? Will they have a special Christmas show? Will they sell table size Christmas trees as a floral gift so we can buy one for our cabin? My kids are teenagers but will there be anything special for their age?

I haven't been on for Christmas but would love to.

I have seen a ton of pics though and read threads avidly.

the decorations are absolutely gorgeous - everything from Christmas trees to gingerbread houses and it is my understanding that Santa even comes :)

It seems to be a very special time indeed.

I don't know if they have trees to sell, but I wouldn't be surprised.

No matter what, I think you are in for a treat :)

If it weren't for worry about storms, we would be there in a moment.

Lucky you :)

We did a Christmas cruise in 2004 on the Zuiderdam with the whole clan for our parents 50th. They put on quite a dinner on Christmas Eve as well as Christmas Day evening. Lunch was pretty normal if memory serves me correctly, as most are there for the sun and pool. There will be hundreds of kids - literally. A couple years ago in January on the Panama Canal cruise on the Z'dam again, the cruise director said there were over 800 kids on the Christmas cruise a couple weeks earlier. They do have a lot more activities for the kids at Christmas. We had 9 kids from 8 to 19 and all had a great time. I played Sailor Santa, having brought small wrapped presents for all the kids. Us older kids had a blast as well! It is not your normal, somewhat sedate HAL cruise. I've read complaints from some Scrooge and Scroogette types about the number of kids. What did they expect on a Christmas cruise?

Edited by blizzardboy

My 2015 Christmas experience on the Prinsendam: HAL does an excellent job!

Two sizes of decorated and lighted trees are available for purchase for your stateroom by calling Ship Services. They were never shown on the HAL web site, however. Being artifical, the tree can be taken with you when you disembark.

On the afternoon/evening of embarkation, there was a carol sing with the ship's entertainers and cruise staff held in the Prinsendam's Atrium with Christmas cookies and Hot Chocolate distributed.

Santa comes to visit on Christmas morning. On the Prinsendam, it was in the Showroom at Sea. A video preceeded his arrival, and if Nieuw Amsterdam has one like it, it is a must see! Children, and I include teenagers, present will be asked to meet Santa and a gift will be given. (On the Prinsendam, probably because we were in port, there were more gifts than children and those present received more than one. What they were, I don't know.) There was some special Christmas music during this "show".

There was one Gala, i.e. holiday. dinner and I think it was on Christmas Eve. The Christmas Day menu was also a good one.

There was a Christmas Eve show that was special. Choirs made up of international crew members sang songs of the season in their native languages. At the end of the show, Captain Dag made a brief speech which was both joyful and up-lifting in the spirit of the Season. It was a wonderful climax to the evening.

Midnight Christmas Eve non-denominational and Catholic services were held following the Christmas Eve show.

And, of course, lots of lovely decorations in the ship's public areas. (Public Room Stewards even wore Santa caps on Christmas Day.)

If there were any special Club HAL Christmas programing, I do not know.

Expect a grand experience and a holiday to remember for your family!

Edited by rkacruiser

It's definitely a special time onboard with all public areas decorated and an appearance on Christmas Day by Santa who'll be flying in for the kiddies onboard. Don't forget to grab a seat in the main show lounge on Christmas Eve for a special concert by the crew; there will be an Indonesian crew choir, a Filipino choir (both not to be missed) and an international choir composed by 'everyone else' (crew) ;)

I haven't been on for Christmas but would love to.

I have seen a ton of pics though and read threads avidly.

the decorations are absolutely gorgeous - everything from Christmas trees to gingerbread houses and it is my understanding that Santa even comes :)

It seems to be a very special time indeed.

I don't know if they have trees to sell, but I wouldn't be surprised.

No matter what, I think you are in for a treat :)

If it weren't for worry about storms, we would be there in a moment.

Lucky you :)

Thanks, Kazu. We sailed on RCCL's Allure of the Seas the week before Christmas and the decorations, were indeed, incredible. They sold little artificial decorated trees in their gift/floral selections, which were very festive and just perfect for the cabin. I hope HAL offers something similar for us to enjoy and I will bring the kids' stuffed stockings to surprise them Christmas morning.

I've read information about holiday cruises, in general, but haven't found anything from anyone who actually experienced the holiday on a HAL ship. I just hope there are some special things to do/watch for my two teenagers (ages 16 and 18) so they are as excited as I am about sailing during the holiday.

Thanks everyone. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear and I thank you for sharing your experiences.

I just told my 16 y/o that she will even receive a gift from Santa and you should have seen her eyes light up!! It sounds like this cruise is going to be INCREDIBLE and I am so excited and just counting down the days!!

It will be nice to attend the midnight Christmas service and I'm so glad they offer one.

Thank you, rkacruiser about the info regarding the little trees. I will definitely call Ship Services before we sail so we will have a little Christmas tree waiting for us in our cabin!

Only 105 days to go!!

Make sure you don't miss Christmas Eve in the DR. We liked it better than Christmas Day because the menu was outstanding.

HAL does do a great job decorating and I second the Christmas Eve choir presentation as a do-not-miss special time.

Yes and yes. We sailed for C hristmas at least 4-5 times and it was always very well done.

I agree Christmas Eve dinner is very good,, often they make i gala night (formal). The choirs singing c arols in show lounge is wonderful. Captain llghts the Christmas tree on the stage. Sometimes we came out of the lounge aftgter th show to find s gbreat buff set out around the RAILING AT THE STAIRS by ocean Bar. Lovely. :)

Captain or CD makes announcemewnts from the bridge3 that Santa's sleigh is nearing thre ship and Santa arrives on board. He brings small gifts for the little cchildren Christmas dinner is very, nice.

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks everyone. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear and I thank you for sharing your experiences.

I just told my 16 y/o that she will even receive a gift from Santa and you should have seen her eyes light up!! It sounds like this cruise is going to be INCREDIBLE and I am so excited and just counting down the days!!

It will be nice to attend the midnight Christmas service and I'm so glad they offer one.

Thank you, rkacruiser about the info regarding the little trees. I will definitely call Ship Services before we sail so we will have a little Christmas tree waiting for us in our cabin!

Only 105 days to go!!

Snooksi:

A just in case message about the Christmas Tree: When my traveling companion and I arrived in our stateroom, there was no tree. Hmm, I thought Where's the tree?. While unpacking, there was a knock on the door and our Cabin Steward delivered it. So, don't worry if you arrive at your stateroom and there is no tree; it's coming.

Edited by rkacruiser

Sorry forgot, if you're still awake that night and, depending on your religious preference of course, Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve in the main show lounge, always attended by both pax and crew

John, think you just talked me into trying to get my family (21, and counting) on a 2018 Christmas Cruise; only our 40th, but there's no guarantee we make it. Thanks!

KenNMB

Volendam: NYC to Bermuda (1978)

Nieuw Amsterdam Seattle to Alaska (2007)

Noordam: Port Everglades TA to Rome (2014)

Zuiderdam: to Panama (partial) (2015)

Veendam: Port Everglades to Montreal (Spring 2016)

Zuiderdam: Quebec City to Port Everglades (Fall 2016)

John, think you just talked me into trying to get my family (21, and counting) on a 2018 Christmas Cruise; only our 40th, but there's no guarantee we make it. Thanks!

KenNMB

Volendam: NYC to Bermuda (1978)

Nieuw Amsterdam Seattle to Alaska (2007)

Noordam: Port Everglades TA to Rome (2014)

Zuiderdam: to Panama (partial) (2015)

Veendam: Port Everglades to Montreal (Spring 2016)

Zuiderdam: Quebec City to Port Everglades (Fall 2016)

Awesome! Hope you can make it!:)

Hello

I've just booked a Christmas cruise on the Eurodam for 2017 and I am slightly worried after reading that there will be hundreds of children on the cruise. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against children, but we are a couple in our 50s and have no children and wasn't expecting any.

Should I try and arrange to go another date or is there anyway to avoid them:eek:

Serious answers please, I know I can stay in the cabin

Hello

I've just booked a Christmas cruise on the Eurodam for 2017 and I am slightly worried after reading that there will be hundreds of children on the cruise. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against children, but we are a couple in our 50s and have no children and wasn't expecting any.

Should I try and arrange to go another date or is there anyway to avoid them:eek:

If you book a cruise in early December or after the New Year, you'll "avoid" most of them. I think Canadian kids are off for a while in January, but we've never seen more than a few on board in that time frame.

Christmas cruises are family events. I guess I'm surprised you didn't expect kids to be on board at Christmas. Who knows, some of the Christmas spirit might rub off on you.

If you book a cruise in early December or after the New Year, you'll "avoid" most of them. I think Canadian kids are off for a while in January, but we've never seen more than a few on board in that time frame.

Christmas cruises are family events. I guess I'm surprised you didn't expect kids to be on board at Christmas. Who knows, some of the Christmas spirit might rub off on you.

I love Christmas. I didn't expect them on a HAL cruise, as I thought the average passenger was 50+ even at Christmas. I just don't want to be stuck on a ship with hundreds of screaming children, running amok and none of whom are mine:(

I love Christmas. I didn't expect them on a HAL cruise, as I thought the average passenger was 50+ even at Christmas. I just don't want to be stuck on a ship with hundreds of screaming children, running amok and none of whom are mine:(

You might look at Silversea. Not trying to be funny. I'm not sure, but their demographics might solve your problem.

Just about any cruise line or resort is going to have a lot of families over Christmas break. We didn't experience the kids running amok on our Christmas cruise, but a lot of HAL regulars have their kids and grandkids aboard on the Holidays runs.

There are cruises that will attract fewer families with children than others. Here's a few stray thoughts---

You might want to look for longer cruises (14+days), as those are away for a little too long for families to be away. Also, take a look at the Prinsendam. That ship is smaller, doesn't have the degree of children's facilities as other HAL ships do, and goes to more exotic locations, so fewer families will sail her. Which brings me to my last suggestion, go to a more exotic locale than a standard Caribbean cruise. The price of flights to more exotic places can discourage families.

Best wishes in your quest to get the kind of cruise you want.

Make sure you don't miss Christmas Eve in the DR. We liked it better than Christmas Day because the menu was outstanding.

HAL does do a great job decorating and I second the Christmas Eve choir presentation as a do-not-miss special time.

Hello

Hiolioday cruises alwas have families andd that includes all generations of the families We never have been bothered by children on HAL ships and w have saiLED MANY HOLIDAYS including SPRING bREAK AND Easter .

..... You won't need to stay in your cabin, IMO Edited by sail7seas

Hi everyone

Should have contacted my TA before I posted the question, apparently I have to cancel my original booking and rebook losing my deposit of £462 ($614.21) So hubby and I are going to go on the cruise and have a great time, whatever!:D

There are cruises that will attract fewer families with children than others. Here's a few stray thoughts---

You might want to look for longer cruises (14+days), as those are away for a little too long for families to be away.

If you book a 14-day cruise, make sure it is a true 14-day cruise--not two 7-day cruises bundled together to make it look like a 14-day cruise. The cruises on the Rotterdam and Prinsendam this year, for instance, are 14+ days only. The ones on the Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Zuiderdam, and Koningsdam can be booked as back-to-back cruises rolled into one cruise, but they return to Fort Lauderdale and will pick up passengers, including a lot of families with children, for just the Christmas leg.

From Tiggipaws:

"Hi everyone

Should have contacted my TA before I posted the question, apparently I have to cancel my original booking and rebook losing my deposit of £462 ($614.21) So hubby and I are going to go on the cruise and have a great time, whatever!:D "

Trusting that you will have some magical moments on your Holiday cruise! With a positive attitude, it's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship :) Enjoy, m--

Thanks again everyone for the information. Believe me, we will see/do every Christmas activity offered and I'm glad we'll be at sea on Christmas day. We will also be sure to eat in the MDR on Christmas eve!

rkacruiser..thanks for the heads up about the tree eventually coming. I always buy sparkling wine, goodies, choc strawberries for our bon voyages. One time, the items weren't waiting for us when we arrived to our suite and I was really upset, but I always bring all of my receipts each trip, so I knew we would get what we ordered. They just hadn't arrived yet and came within 15 min of us getting to the suite. I quickly learned to just give them some time. I can't imagine completely turning a cruise ship around in 4 hours between cruises and due to excitement, we tend to get to the ship rather early.

We're looking forward to a very magical and memorable Christmas this year thanks to HAL.