Men's Necktie's

Posted this on the Cruise Clothes board, but think it's mostly for us ladies..

Since living in Fla, my DH & Friends DH rarely wear neckties..DH will not take his TUX on our Christmas/New Year’s cruise on Celebrity, which we're trying out for the first time only because the dates are perfect for all of us..Planning to dress to the nines a couple of times..

On our last HAL cruise my Friend & I spent a long time trying to help the men tie their neckties but we didn't do a great job of it:o..LOL

DH is over 6 ft & fairly slim & my Friends DH is about 5’8 & a bit hefty..

This time our men want to get clip on ties, but I need to know if they should be wide or skinny..:confused:

Does someone know what the fashion is now?:(

Saw one on e-Bay which will go with DH’s Navy suit & wonder if it will be OK.. :cool:

http://www.ebay.com/sme/henryp252/Extra-10-off-when-you-spend-30/so.html?_soffid=5023764008&_soffType=OrderSubTotal Offer&_seedid=282571349286&_trksid=p2047675.m3794

Thanks for the help..

Posted this on the Cruise Clothes board, but think it's mostly for us ladies..

Since living in Fla, my DH & Friends DH rarely wear neckties..DH will not take his TUX on our Christmas/New Year’s cruise on Celebrity, which we're trying out for the first time only because the dates are perfect for all of us..Planning to dress to the nines a couple of times..

DH is over 6 ft & fairly slim & my Friends DH is about 5’8 & a bit hefty..

I just re

Does someone know what the fashion is now?:(

Saw one on e-Bay which will go with DH’s Navy suit & wonder if it will be OK.. :cool:

http://www.ebay.com/sme/henryp252/Extra-10-off-when-you-spend-30/so.html?_soffid=5023764008&_soffType=OrderSubTotal Offer&_seedid=282571349286&_trksid=p2047675.m3794

Thanks for the help..

I just returned from Veendam/Bermuda and VERY few gents wore tie and we saw no jackets. To put in context, My DSDH andss I always 'drresedx' utt thos days a over,, no t ie needed. Don't sress yourself over itr. Most gents wear shirt with collars and no tie or jacket. Aside ffrom a feaw sundressess, I saw almost no cocktail dresses.

We were on the Celebrity Silhouette this past New Year and the majority of people were in evening/party attire, possibly because it was a holiday cruise. New Year's Eve in particular was certainly a gala evening (which continued into the early hours) and passengers dressed for the occasion. I concur with the previous poster - a medium wide tie or a bow tie. Enjoy your cruise.

We honestly don't care how others will be dressed..:(If they don't dress up that is their prerogative.. However, we want to dress up for Christmas & New Years, our decision!

The Men want to wear their suits with ties..I plan on a long Red ankle length dress (not a gown) for Christmas & a long Skirt or Palazzo Pants with a Sparkly top for New Years..

The only time we get to dress, is on cruises or at Christmas & New Years at home..My Friend & I have some lovely dressy things & our DH's have beautiful suits which they never get to wear..

Thank you to those who answered my question about tie size especially giving me the WEB site..;)That's a help..

Thank you amias for your confirmation too, of those who do dress up more on Holiday's..:cool:

Venn, Cat & amais..You all gave me good recommendations..:cool:

My Dh would look funny in a bow tie unless he had his Tux on..Again only my opinion..But there are some nice zipper ties out & probably as we get closer to Christmas there may be more of a selection..May even get him two ties so he could wear his blazer Christmas Day & suit Christmas Eve..

Thanks for your suggestions..

:cool:

Would your cabin steward (or butler if in a suite) help with a regular tie?

Roy

Roy, Not in a suite, only in a regular balcony cabin, but probably not a good idea to ask our Steward either.. Think DH would be very embarrassed asking another man to tie his tie..

Thought about getting a Friend to pre tie one of DH's ties & then slip it over his head without undoing it.. Then DH could slip it over his own head..Will look into it (yn)but I'm not sure how many of our Friends would remember how to tie a necktie either..:eek:LOL

But thanks for the suggestion..:cool:

Venn, Cat & amais..You all gave me good recommendations..:cool:

My Dh would look funny in a bow tie unless he had his Tux on..Again only my opinion..But there are some nice zipper ties out & probably as we get closer to Christmas there may be more of a selection..May even get him two ties so he could wear his blazer Christmas Day & suit Christmas Eve..

Thanks for your suggestions..

I would go to a fine men's Deparrtment such as in Saks or Niemans to look at ties. Ask the sales person for their advice. Look through their tie displays and see what is currently 'the look'. :) Is there a fine mens's shop near you such as Maus Hoffman in Fort Lauderdale ? They would no t steer you wrong. Edited by sail7seas

I would go to a fine mes's Departrtment such as in Saks or Niemans to look at ties. Ask the sales person for their advice. Look through their tie displays and see what is currently 'the look'. :) Is there a fine mens's shop near you such as Maus Hoffman in Fort Lauderdale ? They would no t steer you wrong.

Also a good idea, however here on the West Coast of Fla all of our nice Mens shops are closing up..Our Saks closed up in Ft. Myers & not driving to Naples just to find a tie..Niemans & Saks are down in Naples but it's too far for me to drive just for a tie..

But might go into Dillards & talk to a Salesman there..DH got one of his suits at Dillards several years ago..Maybe they could help me..Thanks for that idea..:cool:

Also a good idea, however here on the West Coast of Fla all of our nice Mens shops are closing up..Our Saks closed up in Ft. Myers & not driving to Naples just to find a tie..Niemans & Saks are down in Naples but it's too far for me to drive just for a tie..

But might go into Dillards & talk to a Salesman there..DH got one of his suits at Dillards several years ago..Maybe they could help me..Thanks for that idea..:cool:

Ho

I don't bame you for not wanting to drive far distance. I wouldn't either. Hopefully they can help you at Dillard's. All it takes is one pleasant, sales person who enjoy s his/her job and wants to help customers. We used to call that customer service ;)

This thread started a discussion in our home (between DW and myself). We are going on the VOV cruise next week and have been kicking around the issue of what to pack (since we are driving to the port we can take as much as we please). Should I take my Tux for the 5 Gala Nights? Should I just take a Blazer, Sport Jacket, Suit, etc. Consider that have cruised more then many.. so doing this kind of cruise is more routine then not! But given all that has happened (regarding dress mores) in the past 3-5 years, I am completely confused as to what is expected, proper, etc. As to men's ties, I have a DD who is a men's wear buyer for a high end department store chain and a DW who keeps up with the trends. So DW tells me the latest trend is a tie that is more narrow then most in my own collection (which I stopped wearing when I retired more then a decade ago). On the other hand, I have several nice bow ties (for my Tux) which are always in style.

What I do know is that dress on cruises seems to be more about the length of the cruise and the itinerary. Take a long HAL cruise, and there will still quite a few folks that "dress to the 9s" on the Gala Nights. Take a 7 day cruise to Bermuda or the Caribbean...and there will be many fewer folks dressing up. Life was a lot easier when we had "rules" but now it seems to be everyone for themselves :(. And as I write this post I have finally made up my mind.....the Tux will get packed for the cruise :).

Hank

I always wear Donald Trump ties and I tie my own Windsor knot. Donald Trump ties are larger and more substantial than others and they make a bold beautiful Windsor knot.

I'm 70 now, and the older I get, the more I enjoy suits, sport coats and ties.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This thread started a discussion in our home (between DW and myself). We are going on the VOV cruise next week and have been kicking around the issue of what to pack (since we are driving to the port we can take as much as we please). Should I take my Tux for the 5 Gala Nights? Should I just take a Blazer, Sport Jacket, Suit, etc. Consider that have cruised more then many.. so doing this kind of cruise is more routine then not! But given all that has happened (regarding dress mores) in the past 3-5 years, I am completely confused as to what is expected, proper, etc. As to men's ties, I have a DD who is a men's wear buyer for a high end department store chain and a DW who keeps up with the trends. So DW tells me the latest trend is a tie that is more narrow then most in my own collection (which I stopped wearing when I retired more then a decade ago). On the other hand, I have several nice bow ties (for my Tux) which are always in style.

What I do know is that dress on cruises seems to be more about the length of the cruise and the itinerary. Take a long HAL cruise, and there will still quite a few folks that "dress to the 9s" on the Gala Nights. Take a 7 day cruise to Bermuda or the Caribbean...and there will be many fewer folks dressing up. Life was a lot easier when we had "rules" but now it seems to be everyone for themselves :(. And as I write this post I have finally made up my mind.....the Tux will get packed for the cruise :).

Hank

Go Hank!

It probably takes 10 minutes to learn to tie a Half Windsor from printed instructions. Excuse me if you had them last time...:)

You are absolutely right... Pulled up how to tie a half Windsor on www. tie-a-tie.net

& the instructions are simple & clear..Copied & printed them up in Word for both DH's..Thanks so much!:*

I used to tie our Son's ties, but I too had forgotten how to tie them well..:(

Thanks for all the encouragement & Hank so glad you decided to take your TUX too..You won't regret it..You should have enough Gala nights to use it plus a suit or blazer..

DH took his Tux & a suit on our SA/Antarctica cruise, but will not take it this year..

Now will go through DH's ties & see what I can find..He has both fat & skinny ones as he always hated to toss good ties..

BTW this sight also explains other different necktie knots..Very interesting..

Thanks everyone for your help & encouragement..:cool: Knew I could get an answer here! Love you all!:*:*

Now you have me laughing about how to tie a tie! Several years ago when I bought my first Tux, DW insisted that I have real bow ties (not clip ons). I told her I had no idea how to tie a bow tie (but I can tie a mean half windsor) and if she wanted me to have real bow ties she must learn how to tie them. She found an old stuffed Teddy Bear and spent several evenings (with the help of an online print out) learned how to tie perfect bow tie knots. To this day, I still cannot tie the bow ties...but DW has gotten very good and no linger needs her "cheat sheet."

Hank

I always wear Donald Trump ties and I tie my own Windsor knot. Donald Trump ties are larger and more substantial than others and they make a bold beautiful Windsor knot.

I'm 70 now, and the older I get, the more I enjoy suits, sport coats and ties.

Do you wear it the same way that he wears it - front way too long and way too loose.

DON

Do you wear it the same way that he wears it - front way too long and way too loose.

DON

Seeing he sems t o like his ties long, he NEEDS a tie pin........... not a tie clip. A great gift one of his wonderful, loving family should consider having made for him wirh Presidentrial seal miniat ure)-------------- or maybe "46 It would keep the tie fromflapping in the wind. I think a quality tie pin on a beautiful tie adds a 'touch of class and style to a beautifully dressed gent. JMO

Edited by sail7seas

Seeing he sems t o like his ties long, he NEEDS a tie pin........... not a tie clip. A great gift one of his wonderful, loving family should consider having made for him wirh Presidentrial seal miniat ure)-------------- or maybe "46 It would keep the tie fromflapping in the wind. I think a quality tie pin on a beautiful tie adds a 'touch of class and style. JMO.

I'll buy that!

I don't know about regular ties, but, for bowties there are actually mirror image videos on you tube. The 1st few voyages on Cunard my husband had a regular "pre-fab" bowtie but many men tied their own. The shop on board had a little hand out on how to tie a bowtie also.

I threw out all of his "clip on" or "pre-tied" bowties. The ones you tie yourself look very nice, if you would like to go that route, there are probably multiple step by step you tube videos they can take a look at for all types of tie knots. It really makes it easy.