terrorism

dlw002

I am a frquest cruiser, but I have alwasy wondered w the increase in terroism in the world what do the cruise lines do to protect us:confused::

Hi,

It does seem very suspicious that your first post is asking about security of cruise ships.

Pete

Hi,

It does seem very suspicious that your first post is asking about security of cruise ships.

Pete

Agreed.

OP : While you may not have any ill intent, I don't want the cruise lines releasing specifics of what they do to help protect us.

While passengers naturally do not want to be harmed by terrorists, cruise lines obviously have similar concerns. They do not want their crews to be at risk, they do not want their ships to be held for ransom - any delay any reaching port could jeopardize revenues.

The lines were early practitioners of security when the stopped letting non-passengers board for bon voyage parties; they stopped the earlier practice of letting passengers tour engine spaces and control and communications areas. They frequently alter itineraries to avoid problem areas.

They are also smart enough to NOT advertise all their security precautions -- such as the concealed video cameras they have located in every cabin and bathroom (😉).

Hi,

Pete

For real?

dlw002

He/she joined over three YEARS ago. Do you really thing that a terrorist would join three years in advance and ask a question that can be answered by Google?

I am a frquest cruiser, but I have alwasy wondered w the increase in terroism in the world what do the cruise lines do to protect us:confused::

nothing that they have not been doing already long before terrorism became a household word. In a Post 9/11 world, security is everywhere. you just may not be aware of it.

in fact, I just tried and failed to find any more recent than the Achilles Laurel, which is way way WAY pre 9/11

While many won't admit it...if someone (or some group) is really determined to do harm to a cruise ship they are not going to be stopped.

Just remember there are easier targets to hit that will serve their goals better, considering the effort and equipment needed to "hit" a ship.

Why not???

I guess you think if it isn't discussed, you don't have to think about it? Or maybe that it shouldn't be discussed because CC wants us to think we live in a fantasy land?

You don't discuss such things on an open source website which can be stalked by those groups that wish to cause harm. The military calls it OPSEC. The less the bad guys know about the methods in place to stop them the better

You don't discuss such things on an open source website which can be stalked by those groups that wish to cause harm. The military calls it OPSEC. The less the bad guys know about the methods in place to stop them the better

I believe what has been said is true, those that will post in this forum, know nothing more than general knowledge so it won't hurt anything. Those that do know more than the general public won't be posting to this thread. So really no reason to say it shouldn't be discussed.

Anything could be stalked by those who wish to cause harm........why is discussing our safety concerns here a big deal? The idea of not discussing terrorism in case terrorists are listening is absurd.

This thread is taking a left turn. If you go back to the original question, the OP asked what are cruise lines doing to protect us. Certainly nothing wrong with discussing safety concerns, the problem is discussing what cruise lines may be doing. Like at least one person said, anyone who REALLY knows is not going to divulge anything of great importance. Anything else is conjecture, guesses or just generalities.

Not so. They surf a hundred different sites and piece together bits and pieces from a thousand comments. General knowledge is quite enough for a stepping off point

Ahhh, how do you know that they surf hundreds of different sites?:confused:

Like at least one person said, anyone who REALLY knows is not going to divulge anything of great importance. Anything else is conjecture, guesses or just generalities.

Exactly. We can talk about our concerns of terrorism, and if what we say about what we think they're doing, or what we want them to do, is going to bring hellfire upon us, then it's coming anyway, regardless of what we talk about on an anonymous message board.

And, as has been said, if anyone (whether terrorist or crazed spurned lover) wanted to, it would happen.

About 5 years ago, I did a repositioning cruise that went through areas subject to pirate activity. Believe me, there were plenty of precautions taken and we felt completely safe.

Ahhh, how do you know that they surf hundreds of different sites?:confused:

I received numerous Opsec briefings while in the Navy and it is amazing what can be pieced together from simple conversations from a number of different places. Those Russian trawlers that sat off the east coast in the 70's and 80's weren't fishing, well, not for fish anyway;).

Personally I don't let terrorist concerns affect what I do to a great degree. If I stop doing what I want to do because of terrorist concerns then they've won.