Where should we go....?

ano

So we are hoping our next cruise will be Oceania, and we have a travel agent. But we are still deciding where to go? We are looking for 10-12 day range, and are open as to when. Probably July 2016 or later. Can be in 2017 too.

Where would you go? I haven't been much anywhere outside the US. And, I'm not big on long flights over 7 or 8 hours from the U.S. so that would be my limit. Just can't sit any longer than that. We are considering Europe, but don't know which one. The wife has been there, but not me. But were open to other places too. Where have you really enjoyed best?

Edited by ano

So we are hoping our next cruise will be Oceania, and we have a travel agent. But we are still deciding where to go? We are looking for 10-12 day range, and are open as to when. Probably July 2016 or later. Can be in 2017 too.

Where would you go? I haven't been much anywhere outside the US. And, I'm not big on long flights over 7 or 8 hours from the U.S. so that would be my limit. Just can't sit any longer than that. We are considering Europe, but don't know which one. The wife has been there, but not me. But were open to other places too. Where have you really enjoyed best?

Head to South America and do a Polynesia trip from there.

But that would entail a very long flight home ...

I think I'd suggest the Med for a first trip. It's a long flight to the departure point (depending on where OP lives) but interesting ports.

The Caribbean is easier perhaps but it's my least favorite destination.

There are so many places to see if you haven't traveled before! It's hard to go wrong. Like Lyn, I do love Norway and the Baltic.

Mura

I'm actually going to Paris next week. This was planned long ago, and we only have two days in Paris for tourist things. Then going to Bordeaux for business. I'm not terribly worried. Even with terrorists running around, your safer in France than here, and murder rate is 4 times as high.

Still, I may exclude a cruise to Europe because of potential problems.

But that would entail a very long flight home ...

I think I'd suggest the Med for a first trip. It's a long flight to the departure point (depending on where OP lives) but interesting ports.

The Caribbean is easier perhaps but it's my least favorite destination.

There are so many places to see if you haven't traveled before! It's hard to go wrong. Like Lyn, I do love Norway and the Baltic.

Mura

PPT to LAX <8 hrs then puddle jump back to AZ for OP.

Head to South America and do a Polynesia trip from there.

I wondered maybe Tahiti? It looks pretty nice. Mediterranean could be good also. I have been to Alaska, and was looking at that one also and wouldn't mind going back, and its a bit cheaper, probably because airfare is cheaper.

Is taking the Oceania airfare the best option?

PPT to LAX <8 hrs then puddle jump back to AZ for OP.

I'm going to look at that. I got the same email today as probably you guys with Bora Bora and Tahiti and it does look pretty nice.

I'm going to look at that. I got the same email today as probably you guys with Bora Bora and Tahiti and it does look pretty nice.

You might consider a non-stop from Phoenix to Honolulu (6-1/2 hours). Hawaiian Airlines has a weekly (Saturdays) non-stop from there to Papeete (6 hours). If you chose the Sirena's 10-day cruise on January 25, 2017, you would fly into Tahiti the weekend prior to the cruise and have several days to rest and enjoy before boarding the ship on Wednesday. The ship returns to Papeete on a Saturday morning in plenty of time to catch the Hawaiian non-stop back to Honolulu. Just a thought...

You might consider a non-stop from Phoenix to Honolulu (6-1/2 hours). Hawaiian Airlines has a weekly (Saturdays) non-stop from there to Papeete (6 hours). If you chose the Sirena's 10-day cruise on January 25, 2017, you would fly into Tahiti the weekend prior to the cruise and have several days to rest and enjoy before boarding the ship on Wednesday. The ship returns to Papeete on a Saturday morning in plenty of time to catch the Hawaiian non-stop back to Honolulu. Just a thought...

So I see just before that there is a Los Angeles 21 day to Papeete, the goes to Hawaii and French Polynesia, to that eliminates flights in one direction but the long stretch at sea and the smaller boat may be a bit risky. If waters get rough, there could be many unhappy campers.

Edited by ano

In May we were on the Marina from New York to Montreal. It was a lovely cruise. I have done that also on Regent's Navigator a few years ago. The Panama Canal is always a nice cruise. You can leave from Los Angeles or Florida. It does change from time to time.

Do you want the ship to be the destination or the ports? I find that there are two kinds of cruises - the kind with a different port every day and you are off ship touring most of the day and have dining and entertainment at night onboard. Or there are the relaxing island type where you are on the ship more than land. Different ways to go.

We love the Med a lot. But - we are on hold before doing any Europe for now.

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

So I see just before that there is a Los Angeles 21 day to Papeete, the goes to Hawaii and French Polynesia, to that eliminates flights in one direction but the long stretch at sea and the smaller boat may be a bit risky. If waters get rough, there could be many unhappy campers.

Out of those 21 days, 10 are sea days. Would you prefer that or being in Hawaii in 6-1/2 hours and then Tahiti 6 hours after you leave Hawaii?? All depends upon what you want to do with your time.

We'll be on the upcoming 18 day Marina cruise from Valparaiso to Papeete in January (it's not in today's e-mail). Already more than 100 CC folks signed up for the M&G. As usual we took the O air credit and used FF miles for business tix and extended pre/post cruise stays.

Flight time to Hawaii is approx hours 5 from LAX while LAX to Papeete in French Polynesia is approx 8 hours.... and a world apart.

If you have money in your wallet and/or heaps of hotel credit, FP would be a wonderful place to visit for a few days before or after a cruise. French Polynesia is VERY expensive so visiting it via a cruise might be attractive.

Flight time to Hawaii is approx hours 5 from LAX while LAX to Papeete in French Polynesia is approx 8 hours.... and a world apart.

If you have money in your wallet and/or heaps of hotel credit, FP would be a wonderful place to visit for a few days before or after a cruise. French Polynesia is VERY expensive so visiting it via a cruise might be attractive.

"Expensive" is relative. The Intercontinental in Papeete can often be booked at about $200/night for an ocean view king room.

Help us help you. We don't know anything about your interests. Would you rather...

... hike/kayak/snorkel/zipline?

... visit historic places?

... visit architecturally interesting place/great artistic places?

... visit food markets/take foodie tours/dine well?

... anything I haven't listed?

Start with identifying what you like to do and, then, work from there.

The duration of the cruise and the length of travel are truly second-level decisions. Practical and important but definitely less important than what will make you happiest on your trip.

Love love love French Polynesia. I plan on doing it several times. And Oceania is a great way to get there.

Been there done that and it is wonderful. One of our best trips. PPT to Sydney. A lot of flying, but worth it. Love to do it again. :):):)

"Expensive" is relative. The Intercontinental in Papeete can often be booked at about $200/night for an ocean view king room.

That's a great rate for an ocean view king room at the Intercontinental and one we've never found BUT Papeete isn't the French Polynesia most tourists think about. It's pretty rough these days. Snorkeling and kayaking can be had but it's not the lagoon experience found on Moorea, Huahine, and yes, the epitome of the word expensive, Bora.

If you stay at a full service hotel on any island other than Tahiti, room rates begin at $200+ for a hotel style room in the garden. The Pearl in Moorea is a good place because you can walk to nearby shops and restaurants in Maharepa. They also have kayaks and snorkel gear on loan for their guests. Don't remember if they have SUPs....the Hilton does but their rooms/food/drink cost more and there really aren't easily accessed shops or snacks close to the hotel. However, many restaurants provide gratis round trip transportation.

We haven't stayed on Bora since Hotel Bora Bora closed but we've visited a number of times via ship. It's not a very pretty island compared to Moorea, Huahine, or even Tahiti.....instead it's all about the lagoon which is spectacular. Best beach is at Matira Point. And everything runs higher than Moorea or of course, Tahiti.

A cheeseburger in paradise will set you back $25-$35.....but the snorkeling and sunsets are amazing!

That's a great rate for an ocean view king room at the Intercontinental and one we've never found BUT Papeete isn't the French Polynesia most tourists think about. It's pretty rough these days. Snorkeling and kayaking can be had but it's not the lagoon experience found on Moorea, Huahine, and yes, the epitome of the word expensive, Bora.

If you stay at a full service hotel on any island other than Tahiti, room rates begin at $200+ for a hotel style room in the garden. The Pearl in Moorea is a good place because you can walk to nearby shops and restaurants in Maharepa. They also have kayaks and snorkel gear on loan for their guests. Don't remember if they have SUPs....the Hilton does but their rooms/food/drink cost more and there really aren't easily accessed shops or snacks close to the hotel. However, many restaurants provide gratis round trip transportation.

We haven't stayed on Bora since Hotel Bora Bora closed but we've visited a number of times via ship. It's not a very pretty island compared to Moorea, Huahine, or even Tahiti.....instead it's all about the lagoon which is spectacular. Best beach is at Matira Point. And everything runs higher than Moorea or of course, Tahiti.

A cheeseburger in paradise will set you back $25-$35.....but the snorkeling and sunsets are amazing!

$200+ for a hotel room is hardly expensive in any prime destination. For example, mediocre properties in NYC for next September are running $300-$500/night right now.

A meal at Michelin starred Le Lotus (Papeete) might run $200+\-, again not outrageous for that type venue.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I wondered maybe Tahiti? It looks pretty nice. Mediterranean could be good also. I have been to Alaska, and was looking at that one also and wouldn't mind going back, and its a bit cheaper, probably because airfare is cheaper.

Is taking the Oceania airfare the best option?

We're going to Tahiti in April on Marina and we are so excited. We are flying in four days early, staying the night of arrival in Papeete then going to Moorea for three days, staying at the Intercontinental. Moorea is a ferry ride away. Our cruise ends in South America.

Oceania air is not always the best deal, it depends where you are going and whether you live near a hub airport. We always book with air to start, then watch flight schedules for a while. We prefer to control our air schedule and not have a third party involved. After we book our independent flights we get an air credit from O.

If you book O for the first time make sure you use an agent familiar with the air program to advise on air credits, deviation charges, extra charges to fly from your home airport if you are not near a hub. You can also be charged for the differential between the flight O would normally put you on verses the flight you want. Oceania puts you in coach.

We are not crazy about flying but we have learned you have to fly considerable distances to see the world. Alaska is the exception to the rule. We always study flight schedules before booking the cruise. Sometimes one itinerary is better than another because of air, even when you are going to the same region, such as the Mediterranean. We also like to fly in early to see sights and we've combined land trips with cruises to see as much as possible. It is very easy to do one way flights in Europe before or after your cruise to see more.

OP, I think you will get better responses if you give more information about yourself. The Western Mediterranean is a wonderful cruise, especially for first-timers to the European ports like Barcelona and Florence, Rome and Napes in Italy. Also, Northern Europe and Scandanavia. However, if rigorous touring is not your thing or you have mobility issues, then I would say that cruise would not be ideal. So, tell us what kind of experience you are looking for.