Rotterdam Questions

saltshell

Just booked Rotterdam for 10 days, never have cruised her. Those in the know, please tell me about the ship. Any must know information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Unlike most cruise ships, I found most of the public spaces overly warm, but always carry a wrap because every once in a while there will be an unexpected blast of Arctic air. (And I am one of those people who is always cold)

The made to order pasta station in the Lido often stays open late on port days to accommodate excursions returning after official lunch hours. (And the pasta is pretty good)

We were captivated by the "faces" on the Rotterdam from the tile work to the hallway paintings to the general sense of tasteful and colorful whimsy. We did a series of photos just of the "faces" of the Rotterdam, and that did not include the smiling crew members. Just what was on the walls. It was a good ship. Two of our best cruise itineraries were on the Rotterdam. I'd sail her again in a minute.

Edited by OlsSalt

We were captivated by the "faces" on the Rotterdam from the tile work to the hallway paintings to the general sense of tasteful and colorful whimsy. We did a series of photos just of the "faces" of the Rotterdam, and that did not include the smiling crew members. Just what was on the walls. It was a good ship. Two of our best cruise itineraries were on the Rotterdam. I'd sail her again in a minute.

Sir,

Your post intrigues me. My impression of the decor along the corridors of all of the Vista and Signature Class ships on which I have sailed was interesting: good maritime, HAL related photos for the most part. But, classy; no, I don't think. Even on the Amsterdam, I don't recall much along the hallways that impressed. You have provided another reason for why I am looking forward to sailing on Rotterdam VI this Summer. Thank you. Rotterdam V's art is what helped to make her the "Grande Dame" of the Fleet!

We sailed Rotterdam twice and love that ship. An ""elderly lady"", tasteful, not that big, great crew. Just that missing aft pool......

If you have time in Rotterdam donot forget to visit the ss Rotterdam, docked not that far away from the cruise terminal. Or better stay there the night before you sail.

http://ssrotterdam.com/?_ga=1.80479188.210552109.1461934339

Sir,

Your post intrigues me. My impression of the decor along the corridors of all of the Vista and Signature Class ships on which I have sailed was interesting: good maritime, HAL related photos for the most part. But, classy; no, I don't think. Even on the Amsterdam, I don't recall much along the hallways that impressed. You have provided another reason for why I am looking forward to sailing on Rotterdam VI this Summer. Thank you. Rotterdam V's art is what helped to make her the "Grande Dame" of the Fleet!

Agree, Vista ship decor is overall pretty lacking, and can be even over the top bizarre - Oosterdam Blue Boy benches anyone? And the Amsterdam - flag ship and all - had the least appealing decor of all the R and S class ships. That was a surprise.

We missed the joyful whimsy of the Rotterdam when we sailed the Amsterdam and the deeper refinements of the Zaandam and the Volendam. But for price, value, itineraries, comfort, scale and staff, HAL wins our heart with any of their ships. Decor is not what we sail for. Homey comfort and predictability still sells us on all the older R and S HAL ships.

Edited by OlsSalt

Just booked Rotterdam for 10 days, never have cruised her. Those in the know, please tell me about the ship. Any must know information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You didn't say when/where you are sailing. Be aware that several years ago the aft pool was replaced by the wading pool with lounge chairs (wasted space in many folks opinion). Also with the Lani cabins that have reserved lounge chairs there are far fewer chairs available on the deck for other passengers.

That said, we have the Rotterdam booked for 32 days in the Caribbean next year so we enjoy the ship.

I've spent more days on the Rotterdam than any other ship in the fleet and really like her a lot. I think the size of the ship (about 200' shorter than the new Koningsdam and other large ships) with ONLY 1400 rather than 2, 3, 4, 5 or more thousand is very nice. The Rotterdam with its oversize engines is the fastest, capable of 25+ knots, and rides a little lower in the water for a more stable ride, too. It is the flagship, along with Amsterdam, and does have the nicest trim to me.

I was recently on the Zaandam, also the same R class, and missed the whirlpools on the rear deck which the Rotterdam has. I like returning from an active day ashore to use them, sometimes leaving port. Better view and air circulation than the mid ship locations.

Perhaps the reason for so little recent mention of the Rotterdam is that she recently returned from the 3 month Passage to the Far East with large contingents of Australians and Europeans aboard.

Yes, in 3 months there were some maintenance problems and misunderstandings at exotic port calls, but "ship happens". I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Does anyone know what upgrades the Rotterdam has received? Does it have the interactive TV mounted on the wall?

The Lido is now the Lido Marketplace, a vast improvement. All portable suite upgrades in place; others being rolled out cabin by cabin, usually when passengers are ashore ie the yellowed, cracked porcelain sink in my dressing room was replaced by a lovely stainless steel sink and modern chrome fixture.

We're on the Rotterdam Nov 14-Dec 9. Looking forward to a great trip! Like hearing that this is a loved ship. We've been on Maasdam 3 times & Ryndam 2. Cruise #52 coming up! Doing Viking River at the end of this month!

Can someone tell me if the hairdryer on this ship is a regular hand held or the funky nozzle type fixed to the bathroom wall?

All the cabins that had dryers attached to the wall were issued hand-held dryers years ago.

On our last cruise on the Amsterdam (sister ship to the Rotterdam) I found the "funky" wall-attached dryer in the bathroom worked better than my previous experiences with them - but I also have shorter hair now too.

Heat and power were both adequate. I used it exclusively though Ruth is right - there is also a regular hair dryer at the desk in the cabin itself which is more than adequate for most hair. I believe it also fits into the 220 EU type socket outlet next to the regular US type socket outlet..

Edited by OlsSalt

We were on the Rotterdam in 2014 for a Norwegian Fjord cruise and we loved the size of the ship. It was easy to access any deck which was great because there are often really neat things to see in a moment's notice. We could be sitting in the Crow's Nest and then head out to a deck to see the midnight sun and the moon out at the same time! The promenade deck is nice and wide. The service was excellent, very attentive and the crew really got to know us. It was the best HAL food we ever had. The ship had a laid back vibe, there wasn't a lot of activity at night. But passengers seemed to stay up late and hang out late in the lounges. Maybe it was the midnight sun tricking us all! The back deck is not its strong point but it was not a cruise made for swimming so that was OK. We really enjoyed our cruise on her.

On our last cruise on the Amsterdam (sister ship to the Rotterdam) I found the "funky" wall-attached dryer in the bathroom worked better than my previous experiences with them - but I also have shorter hair now too.

Heat and power were both adequate. I used it exclusively though Ruth is right - there is also a regular hair dryer at the desk in the cabin itself which is more than adequate for most hair. I believe it also fits into the 220 EU type socket outlet next to the regular US type socket outlet..

Thank you OlsSalt and RuthC, that's what I was hoping to hear.

We just finished the Canary island 16 day cruise on the Rotterdam and it was lovely. While there are aspects of the ship layout I don't care for (more on that) we found the crew and service to be consistently the very best in 11 HAL cruises.

Usually the front desk drives me crazy with the lack of knowledge or concern, but I had numerous key issues on this cruise (I think my evening bag magnetic clasp could be blamed for some) and they took the time to even come to the room to double check that it was working one time. They were very patient and knowledgeable and took time to answer every question and to go find the answer if they didn't know it. I was most impressed.

The waitstaff was wonderful. Very patient with my elderly mother in her ordering, and made sure to work hard so that everyone was satisfied on night fixed seating. When we asked for more crab legs, our waiter brought a full bowl for the table. everything was served well and hot and even last minute requests were taken care of.

We have had trouble in the past with room service, not getting what we requested, or something always missing. We were thrilled with the room service on the Rotterdam, always perfectly on time and exactly what we asked for, even chocolate croissants and yogurt parfaits we wrote in! they were excellent!

Our room stewards were excellent, if I asked for something once (like ice or extra washcloths) they were always in the room from now on, We stayed in a Vista suite (actually, mainly just a verandah room) and it was comfortable, with lots of storage, if I can figure out how I'll post photos. TV was not on the wall, but on the desk, hand held dryer and I brought a small adaptor for 3 prongs that I used to charge I pad, camera stuff, etc. I always bring my own make up mirror as I really can't see with theirs. Our beds were wonderful, very comfortable with lots of pillows. binoculars and umbrella in the room.

I don't care for the "Mix", a number of bars strewn together. the chairs are comfortable, but a sing along piano needs its own bar to have a "cozy" atmosphere and this didn't. The Explorers' Lounge is nice with terrific coffees and staff, and very cool décor with photos and statues of the Chinese army that was found buried (can't remember the name!).

As far as the back sea view pool, the lounges they put in there are.. dumb, in my opinion. Ruins the view and there are less places to sit now. and the "Oasis" up top has a seat and hot tub for maybe 3 people, bad use of space, in my opinion.

The dining room décor is elegant and lovely, like it better than Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam. And there must have been a lot of recent updating, as most things looked up to date, especially furniture and carpeting. The theatre looks great.

overall, I loved the ship and the crew especially. I did miss the sea view elevators!

Perhaps the reason for so little recent mention of the Rotterdam is that she recently returned from the 3 month Passage to the Far East with large contingents of Australians and Europeans aboard.

Yes, in 3 months there were some maintenance problems and misunderstandings at exotic port calls, but "ship happens". I would do it again in a heartbeat!

We were on the 89 day cruise. There were as many Americans and Canadians as Europeans and Australians.

There were more than "some maintenance problems" There were constant complaints: the a/c in the cabins on Deck Six was not working properly for most of the trip. When in Indonesia one does like to come back to a cool cabin, not this trip. When we were back in the Med, the heating system was not working (I can only speak for Deck Six) and we froze most evenings. There were lots of water pipes bursting and many cabins were flooded more than once (we experienced this, it was so bad we finally had to change cabins, pack all, with just one week to go)

The a/c was like a refrigerator as you passed the Explorers Lounge the entire cruise.

It was a great cruise however the R. needs lots of maintenance. In spite of all, we booked the 35 day VOV for this summer. HAL does have the best itineraries, although not the best of ships

Lorraine:)

Edited by Queen of the Queen

We were on the 89 day cruise. There were as many Americans and Canadians as Europeans and Australians.

There were more than "some maintenance problems" There were constant complaints: the a/c in the cabins on Deck Six was not working properly for most of the trip. When in Indonesia one does like to come back to a cool cabin, not this trip. When we were back in the Med, the heating system was not working (I can only speak for Deck Six) and we froze most evenings. There were lots of water pipes bursting and many cabins were flooded more than once (we experienced this, it was so bad we finally had to change cabins, pack all, with just one week to go)

The a/c was like a refrigerator as you passed the Explorers Lounge the entire cruise.

It was a great cruise however the R. needs lots of maintenance. In spite of all, we booked the 35 day VOV for this summer. HAL does have the best itineraries, although not the best of ships

Lorraine:)

Oh, dear! We are booked on Deck 6 midship. And we leave in less than 3 weeks. I certainly don't want a cold, wet room!!!

Oh, dear! We are booked on Deck 6 midship. And we leave in less than 3 weeks. I certainly don't want a cold, wet room!!!

Best thing now is to pack accordingly with this notice of interior temperature problems. We learned that ANY ship stresses out when traversing the equator. If your cruise is not in this temperature extreme area, it may not be the problem. Plus if passengers are also duly warned about keeping balcony doors closed. Deck 6 is the verandah cabin deck so this is what could have been happening.

And let's hope the captain warns the incoming passengers about proper plumbing use up front to avoid some of the chronic plumbing issues. But agree, what can anyone do about broken pipes - that is when a ship might be beyond salvageable.

We have wonderful memories of our long Rotterdam cruises and I hope yours works as well as possible. But bring socks and woolies just in case.

Edited by OlsSalt

• 2 weeks later...