March 17, 2019 Sold out

wv4891

Some of the sailings got a huge initial burst of bookings. On the Jan. 13 cruise very category except the Insides and IOs is up by at least $1,000. Sky Suites are up $1,600. Celebrity Suites were up over $4,000 but are now sold out. [if you follow the same tracking site that I do, note that they didn't set up their pages for Edge until Mar. 15, so they missed the first round of price increases. Sky Suites had an immediate $600 pop due to strong immediate demand.] Meanwhile the Jan. 20 cruise has a mix of some higher prices but many that have stayed the same. March 17 is a Spring Break weak, so that may explain why this one was super-popular.

I talked to an agent on Tuesday about the March 17th date then went to book on Saturday and it was sold out. The celebrity agent told me to keep watching as people will always cancel. I ended up booking March 31st at a considerably higher rate then what was quoted on the 17th. I also priced out the infinite veranda verses AQ and it was less then $50 difference one you added in the difference in perks available and extra onboard credit.

I am also booked on this cruise. I was peaking with my TA last Friday and when I logged into the Celebrity site, I noticed the March 17 sailing was not even an option any more. My TA did not even know about it at the time. Good thing my booking was still there. Another booking site has the 3/17/19 date as "Waitlisted".

The question is, is it really sold out? Are they holding back some cabins? Or is it a partial ship charter?

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

Celebrity deposits are fully refundable (in the US). Many people watched the reveal stream and immediately jumped on a cabin while they think about it. "After further review," as they say in the NFL, many of these calls will be reversed...

Celebrity deposits are fully refundable (in the US). Many people watched the reveal stream and immediately jumped on a cabin while they think about it. "After further review," as they say in the NFL, many of these calls will be reversed...

You are right about jumping on. I like your NFL example :)

We booked this cruise the day that bookings were allowed. We booked on RC Harmony and got a great rate and upgrades and onboard credit. When a new ship comes out, this happens. We also booked our last cruise, on the HOS the day we were allowed to. Got the suite of our choice and had a ball.

As somebody else stated, people change their minds closer to the sailing and final payment due date- keep checking and you will probably get a cabin- perhaps not the one you might have chosen, but a cabin.

Good luck. Hope to see you onboard the ship March 17, 2019!

One of the tents held the photographer and his backgrounds. The other was over where the water and juice was being served. Ours was the first of three at Concord and it was only about 1/2 filled. If you don't have an agency just put Celebrity. The rooms did seem to go fast and maybe many are held by agencies. We booked Feb 3rd and wanted B2B Sky Suite with the 10th several days later. The price was up by $700 each and a couple of days later all gone. We'll wait to see if they're available at a more reasonable price after final payment. The original price for Sky Suites was too high anyway.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I gather if the sailing is chartered that means a group (of some unknown size) has 'reserved' some part of the ship? Is the general advice to avoid such cruises?

I know it is listed as sold outlet, but I am aware of at least one retail outlet where staterooms are still available. Just trying to determine if we should avoid this particular sailing if it is chartered. Thank you.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I gather if the sailing is chartered that means a group (of some unknown size) has 'reserved' some part of the ship? Is the general advice to avoid such cruises?

I know it is listed as sold outlet, but I am aware of at least one retail outlet where staterooms are still available. Just trying to determine if we should avoid this particular sailing if it is chartered. Thank you.

It depends on what group is booking. Sometimes could be fun- other times it could be annoying, for example if it a rock music themed cruise and you dislike rock music-you might not enjoy the cruise as much as if was a more diverse cruise.

Fortunately we were never on a cruise we didn't like-nor any special themed cruise.

The guy I quoted above was under the impression it was a full charter, his reservation would be cancelled.

The guy I quoted above was under the impression it was a full charter, his reservation would be cancelled.

So what happens to the people that booked in good faith under a specific price and because it was the best date for them to travel? I can't image Celebrity not trying to rebook all the guest who still want to cruise on Edge and give them the same price plus extra. It would be a bad way to start out with a new ship.

Also, I find it odd that at least one big box travel agency is still showing availability for this cruise.

So what happens to the people that booked in good faith under a specific price and because it was the best date for them to travel? I can't image Celebrity not trying to rebook all the guest who still want to cruise on Edge and give them the same price plus extra. It would be a bad way to start out with a new ship.

Also, I find it odd that at least one big box travel agency is still showing availability for this cruise.

No different from any other charter they do. Happens all the time. They may offer to price protect. I haven't heard about any possible compensation. This far out I wouldn't count on any.

Have you actually tried to book a cabin through big box store? I tried on a site that was showing availability but once you get to a certain part, you can't go any further.

No different from any other charter they do. Happens all the time. They may offer to price protect. I haven't heard about any possible compensation. This far out I wouldn't count on any.

Have you actually tried to book a cabin through big box store? I tried on a site that was showing availability but once you get to a certain part, you can't go any further.

I actually did and was successful. Had to call to complete it though; wouldn't let me move past room selection online. They said it was part of their 'block'. I've since cancelled it and booked a different cruise, but that was within the last week.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I actually did and was successful. Had to call to complete it though; wouldn't let me move past room selection online. They said it was part of their 'block'. I've since cancelled it and booked a different cruise, but that was within the last week.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Interesting. But they could have group space and they haven't received the cancellation notice yet. I hope the info was wrong and it's not a full charter. Would be disappointing for those booked.

I just tried a booking. They only have inside and balcony cabins listed. I proceeded after login to "book" a balcony A2.

Deposit $500

Total package price $3,858.44

• 2 months later...
I am also booked on this cruise. I was peaking with my TA last Friday and when I logged into the Celebrity site, I noticed the March 17 sailing was not even an option any more. My TA did not even know about it at the time. Good thing my booking was still there. Another booking site has the 3/17/19 date as "Waitlisted".

The question is, is it really sold out? Are they holding back some cabins? Or is it a partial ship charter?

I was just notified that the ship is "chartered" during this week. Celebrity is offering very "uncaring" replacements for those who were already booked

I was just notified that the ship is "chartered" during this week. Celebrity is offering very "uncaring" replacements for those who were already booked

The sailing is almost 2 years away! All anyone has "booked" is a fully refundable minimal down payment. If Celebrity has accepted a charter, they have full paid the trip now. Why wouldn't Celebrity do this? So many passengers "book" a trip and rescind prior to their refund becoming non-refundable. Why should Celebrity show greater concern than passengers? That they offer anything at all, so far ahead of time, should be appreciated. You can not convince me that anyone has been inconvenienced yet at this date.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518964

Link to Main board CC thread about this sailing/ charter..

Bummer b/c prices are much higher now for other dates,.,kind of dampens our enthusiasm for Jan 2019 on Edge...

Reminder that you never know these days when you may get booted, we may book a back up on another ship...