Booted Off The EDGE

Hawkstar33

We booked Edge for BTB in March 2019, months ago. We book together with another couple each year same time, with Celebrity. We are Elite, and our friends are getting close with 8 cruises, loyal to Celebrity. The Key word here is LOYAL, but seems to go only one way. Edge hasn't even been built yet, and we already have gotten booted for a charter. Sorry for the inconvenience, but somebody bought the whole boat, so you have to change your plans. I guess this is not the first time. I assume I would be wasting my time by saying this is a very unfair practice. No matter if you are a first timer, or Elite, or whatever you may be. Luckily we were able to adjust our plans. They also offered some OBC. Nonetheless, Loyalty should go both ways. They didn't have to charter out the ship. It would've booked full for sure. First come first served.

This is nearly two years away. You only made a reservation with a deposit, refundable at that. It will be over 1 1/2 years before full payment is due. Celebrity has booked the entire ship now with the charter. This not an unusual situation. Cruise ships get chartered all the time and existing reservations are changed. Depending upon how far in the future it is, passengers who are inconvenienced are always given some sort of accommodation. I don't see why this ship should be any different.

If you don't have to commit with a possibility of refund, then why should Celebrity.

Every cruise line does this. Charters pay very well. Fortunately you aren't in a position of having booked air travel. I too would be disappointed but sounds like you have adjusted your plans.

Lots of hype about the Edge sent prices up but IMHO booking 18+ months out are iffy so I guess X went for the bird in the hand vs the bird in the bush in 2019.

Thanks for the notice.

We were also booted off of a cruise that was booked for a charter. We weren't so lucky. It was about 5 months prior. We were given the option of booking one of the next 2 cruises on the same ship and getting and additional $100 SBC. Problem was that the prices were way higher and the choice cabins were gone plus those weren't the dates we wanted as the one we booked was during our 50th. We ended up going on a different cruise line. We had a fantastic time and found another cruise line that we have booked 5 more cruises on it plus a few more on different cruise lines. Things happen for a reason. Celebrity lost a real loyal and frequent cruiser because of it. I don't think they care as I am only one of millions.

What are the dates? We have B2B booked on the Edge for Mar 24 and Mar 31.

We also booked a 5 day cruise for Mar 16 on the Infinity. It is too good of a deal to pass up. We booked a Sky suite for $1009. To get a suite for approx $200/day pp and getting all the perks, than minus the $300 SBC plus adittional SBC for using a future cruise booking is a real bargain.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

All cruise lines jump on the opportunity to charter out their ships. The organization taking out the charter assumes responsibility for filling the cabins, so the ship can sail half empty and Celebrity still gets paid in full. It's always a disappointment - we were bumped on our very first cruise a number of years ago - but it's just something you have to accept if you are going to book well in advance.

Thanks for the notice.

We were also booted off of a cruise that was booked for a charter. We weren't so lucky. It was about 5 months prior. We were given the option of booking one of the next 2 cruises on the same ship and getting and additional $100 SBC. Problem was that the prices were way higher and the choice cabins were gone plus those weren't the dates we wanted as the one we booked was during our 50th. We ended up going on a different cruise line. We had a fantastic time and found another cruise line that we have booked 5 more cruises on it plus a few more on different cruise lines. Things happen for a reason. Celebrity lost a real loyal and frequent cruiser because of it. I don't think they care as I am only one of millions.

We also booked a 5 day cruise for Mar 16 on the Infinity. It is too good of a deal to pass up. We booked a Sky suite for $1009. To get a suite for approx $200/day pp and getting all the perks, than minus the $300 SBC plus adittional SBC for using a future cruise booking is a real bargain.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I am on the 3/24 Edge but have been wanting to try Suite life. Thanks for posting this. I now need to go and see where Infinity 5 days goes to.

I am on the 3/24 Edge but have been wanting to try Suite life. Thanks for posting this. I now need to go and see where Infinity 5 days goes to.

It goes to Cozumel and Key West. Will probably stay on board when in Cozumel. We don't really care for that place and would rather stay in board and utilize the sweet life to the fullest. May do the same in Key West since we will have a few days to kill we may go there in between this cruise and the one on the Edge.

We booked the cheapest suite, I think it is a S2. If I could use a military discount it would be $200 cheaper.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

Celebrity lost a real loyal and frequent cruiser because of it. I don't think they care as I am only one of millions.

Doesn't sound like "Celebrity lost" you at all.;)

We've had so many cruises canceled across a number of cruise lines do to charters we don't sweat it anymore. Trust me, it's not just Celebrity.

We booked Edge for BTB in March 2019, months ago. We book together with another couple each year same time, with Celebrity. We are Elite, and our friends are getting close with 8 cruises, loyal to Celebrity. The Key word here is LOYAL, but seems to go only one way. Edge hasn't even been built yet, and we already have gotten booted for a charter. Sorry for the inconvenience, but somebody bought the whole boat, so you have to change your plans. I guess this is not the first time. I assume I would be wasting my time by saying this is a very unfair practice. No matter if you are a first timer, or Elite, or whatever you may be. Luckily we were able to adjust our plans. They also offered some OBC. Nonetheless, Loyalty should go both ways. They didn't have to charter out the ship. It would've booked full for sure. First come first served.

How do you know you are cancelled for a charter???

I just looked, and saw all of the sailings in March 2019 are still being sold. :confused:

I also have a B2B for the 17th and 24th, and haven't heard anything?

We wanted very much to do the Around Japan cruise in Spring of 2015 and that cruise on Century was cancelled, due to X selling the ship, however we transferred to an earlier cruise on Century from Singapore to Dubai that was great.

So we booked another Around Japan cruise for September 2015 and it was cancelled due to a charter (in fact both Around Japan cruise were chartered). We transferred to a wonderful Japan and China cruise that included Shanghai, Okinawa, Taiwan ending in Hong Kong. We still had five ports in Japan. It was a great cruise. We saved $$ since we kept the price for the cheaper Around Japan cruise on Japan and China.

Yes, we were not happy with two cancellations, but the results in the end were better than what we would have done from the beginning. Cruising is a business and as long a chartering is a possibility, it is a factor, just like cancellations for other reasons.

Life is good.

No matter how entitled you feel because they give you a level with a fancy name like "Elite", Diamond or whatever cruise lines are no charities.

Make the most of it, try to get some extra OBC for the inconvenience and move on...

Don't get upset about things you can't change. Waste of time.

No matter how entitled you feel because they give you a level with a fancy name like "Elite", Diamond or whatever cruise lines are no charities.

Make the most of it, try to get some extra OBC for the inconvenience and move on...

Don't get upset about things you can't change. Waste of time.

100 percent agree. I really don't know what "status" has to do with anything. Just because you are Elite, they are not allowed to charter the cruise??? We had a cruise cancelled once and we just booked something else. Annoying, but not a big deal.

Edited by champagne123

I don't feel entitled because of being Elite. I feel its BS that they do this. We book far in advance to get what we want. Business is business . That's sad. I do feel like I am very loyal and have continually booked with Celebrity. That should mean something. BUT NOT...The chartered trip is March 17th, 2019. Should've put that up on my prior post. TY for all the input. Over a dozen cruises and still learning.

How do you know you are cancelled for a charter???

I just looked, and saw all of the sailings in March 2019 are still being sold. :confused:

I also have a B2B for the 17th and 24th, and haven't heard anything?

I just checked Cruising Power and all March 2019 sailings are available.

So, what the OP was expecting was this scenario?

"Hey, we have an opportunity to see the entire ship nearly two years from now"

"No, we'd better not, we have sold some rooms to some Captain's Club Elite members and they would get mad"

"Yes, I guess you're right. Selling hundreds of rooms all at once would be nice, but we don't want to tick off our loyal cruisers"

"Right, the company's bottom line shouldn't be the deciding factor here."

"Ok, I'll tell the group that wants to charter the ship that it isn't available because we have sold some rooms to some of our loyal cruisers. Too bad, because we would have made millions of dollars if we had chartered it. I'm sure the stockholders won't mind either"

I don't feel entitled because of being Elite. I feel its BS that they do this. We book far in advance to get what we want. Business is business . That's sad. I do feel like I am very loyal and have continually booked with Celebrity. That should mean something. BUT NOT...The chartered trip is March 17th, 2019. Should've put that up on my prior post. TY for all the input. Over a dozen cruises and still learning.

I won't consider Loyal not until I reach Zenith;p

It would be interesting to know who had bought all the tickets. Probably some Arab or Russian billionaire.

NObody bought all the tickets. The most likely thing is that a travel agency has an exclusive to sell the staterooms. If you can identify the travel agency, you could still book it. Of course, it may not match your lifestyle.

For better or worse, this practice is done across the industry. It is in no way unique to Celebrity. Fortunately it generally happens a year or more in advance so no one is stuck with non-refundable airfare.

Or the price that you originally paid. Fortunately, our cruise for the 24th is still available, but from what I'm hearing I won't be surprised if they charter that as well. The same thing happened to me a year ago with a cruise I booked on Summit. Since that time, I've never booked the Summit again in the spring, because once again last year almost all of the cruises were chartered during that time. It appears that this trend is continuing into next year as well. We were lucky to book our suite within a few hours of The launch at a great price. Our cabin is now easily $1000 more per person than what we paid, and to rebook something else would probably cost us more. After reading your post last night, I did scroll through other sailings for Spring 2019 and already have a back up in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums