Transportation from MIA to Miami Cruise Port

tomnmary2

Boarding the Equinox in early May from Miami. Can anyone tell me if there is an airport shuttle to the Port of Miami and what the price might be? Or, alternatively, taxi fare from MIA to the Port? We usually cruise from FLL, so it's been too long since we've been to Miami.

Thanks.

Boarding the Equinox in early May from Miami. Can anyone tell me if there is an airport shuttle to the Port of Miami and what the price might be? Or, alternatively, taxi fare from MIA to the Port? We usually cruise from FLL, so it's been too long since we've been to Miami.

Thanks.

If you go to rideguru.com you can find the prices for taking an UBER or LYFT. Both much less expensive than a taxi - I wan to say somewhere in the $7-8 mark. It's what my DH and I are using. UBER worked well for us in San Fransisco, so we're giving it a whirl for our FL cruises.

By entering "taxi cost miami airport to port of miami" as a search in Google, the very first item tells you that there is a fixed taxi rate of $27 for the trip (not per person).

You might want to remember http://www.taxifarefinder.com which gives you estimated taxi fares for regular taxi's, Uber and Lyft. (note: it sometimes doesn't give you "fixed" fares....for example, it doesn't show the $27 fixed rate for a regular taxi in your case). The site works internationally as well.

By entering "taxi cost miami airport to port of miami" as a search in Google, the very first item tells you that there is a fixed taxi rate of $27 for the trip (not per person).

Be aware that the taxi driver will not tell you of the fixed fare rate and always prefer the meter. Many of these taxi drivers are a disgrace. We stayed at the Intercontinental Bayside and could see the ship and the taxi took us around about way to the cruiseport. When we arrived the meter said $35, I gave the driver $15 and told him to call the police if he had a problem. He just cursed, shrugged his shoulders and drove off - scum bag.

If you go to rideguru.com you can find the prices for taking an UBER or LYFT. Both much less expensive than a taxi - I wan to say somewhere in the $7-8 mark. It's what my DH and I are using. UBER worked well for us in San Fransisco, so we're giving it a whirl for our FL cruises.

Should let you know, Uber isn't allowed to pick up at the airport and is not supposed to enter the cruise port. We we put into a Uber vehicle a few weeks ago before we realized it wasn't a taxi. We were charged $44 for the ride from MIA to hotel (in port area)...double the usual cost. Won't use UBER ever again. Problems in too many cities for the same overcharges and other incidents. Be careful and ask the price before starting out with a Uber driver.

Should let you know, Uber isn't allowed to pick up at the airport and is not supposed to enter the cruise port. We we put into a Uber vehicle a few weeks ago before we realized it wasn't a taxi. We were charged $44 for the ride from MIA to hotel (in port area)...double the usual cost. Won't use UBER ever again. Problems in too many cities for the same overcharges and other incidents. Be careful and ask the price before starting out with a Uber driver.

Sorry just trying to understand here. They most definitely can pick up and drop off at MIA and the port.

You were 'put' into an Uber? Unless you requested the ride from your phone, you were not in a legit Uber. The drivers cannot overcharge unless they take an entirely different route, which their GPS on the Uber app will continually yell at them until they follow the GPS route.

Your app should look like this:

36b0129e11ad241b50f74ed8ac53b8d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We we put into a Uber vehicle a few weeks ago before we realized it wasn't a taxi.

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience but I am not sure how that could have happened with Uber. It almost seems as if there was something shady with whoever put you in that car because, unless something has changed very recently, your Uber car would have been requested using an app on your phone. You would see the amount it would cost before agreeing to it and, since Uber is a cash-less system, payment would be made via whatever payment method you have on file with your Uber account.

We have used Uber in Miami and Fort Lauderdale and it has worked out fairly well. I liked being able to see the price up front as well as the driver's current location and estimated time to pick up. Something to be aware of though is they have periods of time where they may be super busy (lots of cruise ships, festivals, etc) where the rates can be significantly higher than normal (surge pricing) but that will be noted and reflected in the price you are shown in advance of confirming your ride request.

What is your source of information?

Not sure this is legit as you prepay online to Uber with a credit card on file.

What is your source of information?

Based on another post from that individual, they were definitely not in an Uber. I'm not sure exactly what happened. My guess is they took a private car service rather than a marked cab and for some reason thought it was an Uber car.

Regrettably, the entire world is teeming with ignorant travelers, followed quickly by those waiting to prey on their ignorance.

You cannot "call" an Uber car/driver, although it happens every day to people who don't understand.

You cannot be "put" into an Uber car by a third party, although it happens every day to people who don't understand.

For travel from MIA to the Port of Miami:

An official taxi is required to charge the official fixed fare, which I believe is $27.

There are shared shuttles at a variety of prices.

If you know how to Uber, please accept my gentle but VERY experienced viewpoint that this is fast, safe, easy, and in my experience, less than half of the taxi fare.

And for the person who asked, Uber drivers do not expect a tip. But they are uniformly delighted when one is offered.

Should let you know, Uber isn't allowed to pick up at the airport and is not supposed to enter the cruise port.

Respectfully, I need to differ. And based on what you wrote, it seems like you mistook another type of car service for an Uber.

We used Uber last May when we sailed on the MSC Divina and we were picked up right at the cruise terminal. We clicked on the app and literally, within 60 seconds, our Uber was in front of us. We used it to go to the FLL airport. The service was not only faster than any other option, but cost effective. We watched in amusement at the long line of people queued waiting for a taxi. We arrived at the airport early enough to standby on an 8:45am flight.

Ever since, I've used both Uber and Lyft to go from hotels in the Miami area to various destinations any time I'm in town for business. After that experience, we have chosen this type of transportation over taxis or shuttles in every city where the service is available. We've also used it internationally with no problems whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Port to MIA is a flat rate of $ 27 for real taxi`s that are lined up curbside when you walk outside after customs.

I seem to remember that $27 was the credit card rate. There was a CASH rate that was lower.... Maybe like $25. I only found that out after I paid him $27 + tip in cash.

Didn't mean to start a Taxi vs Uber war here. Didn't think I needed to explain either.....but.....we did not use an app to call...we are not ignorant travellers...and we do thank those who said 'respectfully' in their response. To set this record straight we've never chosen Uber over a taxi driver who pays heavy fees to drive his cab including access to the airport. In our city, and other large metro cities, they are not licensed to pick up at airports. They can, and do, overcharge, and do pick up without someone going through the correct channels, ie: an app where they are recorded and followed, etc. Not to say any of you may be 'incorrect', but that's what we were told at the airport on our return from cruising and at the hotel.

After Miami arrival we turned for the taxi line, without us asking him, the 'doorman' said "taxi?" and quickly directed or 'put' us with a driver quite a distance ahead of the taxi line we had just noticed, and took us to his car. The luggage was going in before we noticed there wasn't a taxi sign. He explained inside the cab he was a Uber driver; wasn't necessary as tip jar was clearly evident between front and back seats and other indications were around the car. We didn't mind as it was transportation, a nice car, usually use limo services to and from our airport, assumed it was a lower or same cost according to some of you and what Uber advertises to sell their product. Charge was $44 US. Of course, we didn't tip! We knew the area having used this hotel many times before and aware this wasn't in line with taxi fees. In conversation with him during the ride we indicated we knew where we were going but he didn't flinch when he quoted the price after the ride. Didn't argue....a few $$s isn't going to ruin our vacation with disagreements, but we'll for sure advise the appropriate people what happened here.

Conversation re this came up with other people on the cruise and they also confirmed Uber has no license to pick up at the airport. So....all explanations to you and others aside....we did not use an 'app' or phone or ask for Uber.

This doorman was getting a piece of the transportation cost...no other way to look at it. The concern here is definitely not the $$s but the deceit.

This is a link to Miami regulations for Uber. Indicates rules have 'now' been changed, they must be called using an app, stay in a particular location prior to receiving the call, and wait in order of priority same as a taxi... https://www.uber.com/drive/miami/airports/miami-international/

Edited by oceangoer2