Dear Mr. Frank Del Rio, you have a problem.

donnasworld

We had a thread, not long ago, discussing the multiple ports of call, and specific cruises, where a Yellow Fever vaccine was recommended. Many posters plainly said they had no intention of taking the shots because they were far to frail. Apparently to frail for the shot, but not to frail for the disease. Beating that dead horse again will have no purpose. If cruisers would check with their health care providers about risks in areas they plan on traveling the issue would be moot.

Well, the official word I have seen is that this shot is ill advised for those over 65 -- check with your doctor to see what is recommended for YOU given your itinerary. My doctor said no when we were just going to Machu Picchu and non-mosquito areas in Brazil, but thought I should when we were planning on Senegal, even though it was only one day there. I don't think it's a matter of "being too frail".

I've never witnessed mold or mildew in any of my past cabins, but if I had, I feel a quick word with my cabin stewards or Butler would resolve the issue quickly.

I'm with you here!

As to the issue of past guests , I did enter a cabin once and found where the (a) past cruiser had opted to carve their initials into the woodwork. Even on upscale cruise lines, some guests are classless!

That's for sure! The comments I made about the QE2 on our second and last cruise were not because of deliberately inflicted damage but there were places where the wood had been gouged a bit over the years ...

... exposed to the harmful sun... balconies and the pool area peomote shin cancer...

So that's why so many cruise passengers have ugly shins. How exactly does that peomoting thing work and why didn't anyone ever tell me before I risked my legs?

I always wondered why you jump so immediately and vehemently to defend smoking on cruise ships Dan. Now I understand.

Are you shure? My wife smokes and she buys them I standby the the smokers I havenet on every cruise are the nicest warmest easygoing folks on the cruise,,,,sitting with them a true delight ... On the other hand the fanatical smoke haters pretend to react wit violent and unrealistic maladays.... ( tantrums)bases of emotion, not physiology......pure emotion....

... The general manager smokes, the Captain smokes, the F&B manager smokes and so do a lot of the crew back by the stack on the highest level It is my observation that these horrible, unreadable incidents are somewhat akin the the story of the :princess and the pea... The zelots live in a world of total intolerance I care not to recognize as rational...

Vehiment..... no I just think that the zalots willl claim anyhing true or not....the smoking folks are the laidback easy going live and let live... I think the whole smoking thing is way overblown...

Are you shure? My wife smokes and she buys them I standby the the smokers I havenet on every cruise are the nicest warmest easygoing folks on the cruise,,,,sitting with them a true delight ... On the other hand the fanatical smoke haters pretend to react wit violent and unrealistic maladays.... ( tantrums)bases of emotion, not physiology......pure emotion....

... The general manager smokes, the Captain smokes, the F&B manager smokes and so do a lot of the crew back by the stack on the highest level It is my observation that these horrible, unreadable incidents are somewhat akin the the story of the :princess and the pea... The zelots live in a world of total intolerance I care not to recognize as rational...

Vehiment..... no I just think that the zalots willl claim anyhing true or not....the smoking folks are the laidback easy going live and let live... I think the whole smoking thing is way overblown...

agree with you 100% I was a smoker and still miss it a lot. On Oceania I fine the smokers just where they are told to be and have no problem with that. Sometimes i drift by there to just smell the smoke. Still like it. People should be more tolerant. :):):)

...the smoking folks are the laidback easy going live and let live... I think the whole smoking thing is way overblown...

Agreed. On our most recent (Regent) cruise I enjoyed sharing an occasional smoke break with the captain, GM, and chef, and I've always maintained that the smokers' area is usually the best way to meet pleasant fellow cruisers. It also serves as a hub for meeting international travelers (since they apparently didn't get the memo designating smokers as disgusting subhumans in the same category as serial killers, ax murderers, and the like).

Shipboard smokers, for the most part, follow the rules without complaint and are considerate of others. I only wish the "fanatics" were as well-behaved and tolerant.

May I disagree with you pro-smokers? I'm not arguing with smokers on cruise ships who follow the rules! I know they exist. On recent Oceania cruises the only time I noticed smoke aroma was when I was crossing the pool deck on the "wrong" side -- that is, under the smoking area. That was my fault, not theirs.

My problem with smokers on land is that they really don't realize how much of an unpleasant "smell" they dispense to non-smokers. I'm talking about people who walk down the street holding their lit cigarette so that they don't smell the smoke, but people in back of them do.

I'm talking about people who reek of smoke themselves -- they can't smell it but the rest of us can.

I'm not saying they are evil. I'm saying that because they are smokers, they don't notice what we non-smokers do and don't really credit our reports.

The most vehement non-smoker I know is someone who at one time was a heavy smoker ... She is far more intolerant than I am.

For the record, I don't like perfume (any more) either ... That wasn't always the case, but as I got older it became the case.

Mura

I don't consider myself a zealot. I will preface my remarks by saying I have been on 5 Oceania cruises and never have noticed any problem with smoke...luckily I probably avoided those areas. However as one who has had lung cancer 3 times in the last seven years(and never smoked) ,I am really disturbed by the cavalier attitude by some . Although second hand smoke was not proven as a cause of my lung cancer it is a good chance that it was. I was exposed to lots of second hand smoke in my lifetime. The harm of smoking and second hand smoke has been proven in many studies. I've met nice easy going folks who don't smoke.

Although this is probably not necessarily the format for a "harm of smoking" campaign, I feel that if I can influence one person to avoid smoking or second hand smoke, and avoid what I have experienced, then I have done my good deed for the day. Fortunately , my original cancer was detected early by an incidental finding, and the 2 subsequent episodes also discovered at an early stage through constant monitoring.

So , Donna if you have a problem with the smoking on the cruise don't be intimidated in making your feelings known

Any cruise line that announces it will be 100% non smoking will see bookings go through the roof. Those that catered to smokers have gradually curtailed smoking e.g. Seabourn to the delight of most seabourn regulars

The market for cruising is not with smokers. I wonder why

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any cruise line that announces it will be 100% non smoking will see bookings go through the roof. Those that catered to smokers have gradually curtailed smoking e.g. Seabourn to the delight of most seabourn regulars

Sorry, I dont believe that will happen..its been tried and caceled not enough bookings,,I know for sure Carnival tried it..

Jancruz1

Curious if smoking is 100% banned on the ship......where are they going to find crew and officers to run it?.... What next...Peanut free cruises, Gluten free cruises, Meat free, Perfume free, Near sighted people free Color blind Free Left Handed free.... The list goes on

Curious if smoking is 100% banned on the ship......where are they going to find crew and officers to run it?.... What next...Peanut free cruises, Gluten free cruises, Meat free, Perfume free, Near sighted people free Color blind Free Left Handed free.... The list goes on

Thanks, Hawaiidan! I'm with you.

I think you all forget we get a lot of Europeans on the ship and they all smoke..I do not believe it would work..you cant fill all these ships with Americans that dont smoke..and I dont think ot will happen in the near future..JMHO

BTW I did find out Oceania sells two or three kinds of cigarettes at bars on board..I apologize for being so definite they didnt..

Jancruz1

+1 Agree with you and I think most of us would, even those of us than do not smoke. Better not take away my meat and peanuts. :D:D:D

It would be an interesting experiment for Oceania

Have a couple of cruises NON SMOKING only & see how they fly

Not just in the Caribbean but maybe a couple in Europe as well

I have never really seen more than a dozen people in the smoking section on any of our cruises but we may well have missed the heavy smokers just like the hoards of children that others get

JMO

I'm sorry to tell you that "other" cruise lines do not always have "hoards" of children, nor do they necessarily have a lot of people using walkers and canes and scooters. Please remember: eventually, everybody stops smoking.

It would be an interesting experiment for Oceania

Have a couple of cruises NON SMOKING only & see how they fly

Not just in the Caribbean but maybe a couple in Europe as well

I have never really seen more than a dozen people in the smoking section on any of our cruises but we may well have missed the heavy smokers just like the hoards of children that others get

JMO

I as a non smoker sit there with my wife..... there are anywhere from 2 to 12 max... most times 2-4 and most of the time or much of the time 25% of those are non smokers.. Usually 1 or 2 pipe smokers and maybe 2 to 4 cigar smokers on the cruise.... You didnt miss any big smoke in...

From my observation its little gatherings here and there....pretty low key and well mannered. In sitting there for many cruises I have never felt my health at any risk or ever experienced any adverse effects

I have yet to see someone 10 feet away begin to choke and convulse , let alone 100 ft away through 2 sets of auto close doors and a positive pressure vent system......does this remind you of the story of the "Princess and the Pea" or the" Emperors new Clothing" The human mind is an amazing thing, it can be trained to perceive fantasy as reality.

I think you all forget we get a lot of Europeans on the ship and they all smoke..I do not believe it would work..you cant fill all these ships with Americans that dont smoke..and I dont think ot will happen in the near future..JMHO

BTW I did find out Oceania sells two or three kinds of cigarettes at bars on board..I apologize for being so definite they didnt..

Jancruz1

I am European and I don't smoke,nor does my husband,children, in laws and friends.

I have seen plenty of non Europeans who smoke on cruise ships.

And as many different cultures drunk,loud,obese and walking with plates piled high with pastries.Its life and I am lucky enough to be alive and well that I don't give a poke who does what on their holidays.