Dancing With the Stars Program to End on Holland America

LauraS

Good news. This program seemed like an odd waste of time, and did not have much participation on the ships we sailed.

It was explained once that every time HAL added extra staff for these additional extra-curricular programs, including all the spa hype programs, that takes crew beds away from the general ships services staff including dining room staff which has been showing strains from this core understaffing.

Some will disagree with me and that is fine with me. But, in my opinion, good riddance! I enjoy watching couples who are competent dancers. But, just as with guest "talent" shows, I prefer having the entertainment portion of my cruise fare be used to hire professionals who are good entertainers. Ever since this Dancing With The Stars Program began, it struck me as a cutback effort in the ships' entertainment budget.

Honestly we preferred this to any HAL show. Oh well.

To each his/her own, to be sure.

But, have you ever seen "Cantare"? Or "Droom"?

The Westerdam had a Country/Western show in 2014 that was the best of that type I have ever seen and I am not a big country/western fan.

I think the main stage entertainment is improving.

I honestly have never even watched the show, so I don't personally have any interest in it...

I'm sure they realized it wasn't as much of a draw as they had hoped. Another line apparently is stuck with a "Cats" contract and it isn't much of a draw either... listen to the masses. :)

The Westerdam had a Country/Western show in 2014 that was the best of that type I have ever seen and I am not a big country/western fan.

Glad you enjoy them. Going to be honest, my wife is a professional dancer and she can't watch any cruiseline production show without wanting to commit mass murder. We don't attend them after a few bad experiences. :)

As I said, to each their own. I'd never cruise solely for the DWTS contests and won't really miss it, but did enjoy the final contest.

Good news. This program seemed like an odd waste of time, and did not have much participation on the ships we sailed.

It was explained once that every time HAL added extra staff for these additional extra-curricular programs, including all the spa hype programs, that takes crew beds away from the general ships services staff including dining room staff which has been showing strains from this core understaffing.

With the exception of the actual DWTS theme cruises where guest performers are brought on, there's no extra staff used for the DWTS activities offered on regular cruises. It's all conducted by the cruise director and the ship's dancers.

I wonder what kind of last-night entertainment HAL will have in its place? Just guessing that they would do something that didn't require another guest "headline" entertainer.

Why not another "Love In any Language" show by the crew and officers to end the cruise that last night? I left the Show Room most times misty eyed and others had tears streaming down their cheeks.

Why not another "Love In any Language" show by the crew and officers to end the cruise that last night? I left the Show Room most times misty eyed and others had tears streaming down their cheeks.

Yes, that was nice, and I also left the showroom "misty eyed" (okay, maybe a bit more than that). Although that was customarily done after the now-eliminated disembarkation talk.

I forgot what HAL used to do on the last night before DWTS came into the picture. Was it some sort of revue with the singers and dancers?

Yes, droom. That is excellent. I can't count on one hand how many shows I've gone to because it's like going to a high school production. Unless you've seen droom you have not seen a good show.

Yes, droom. That is excellent. I can't count on one hand how many shows I've gone to because it's like going to a high school production. Unless you've seen droom you have not seen a good show.

I couldn't agree more. What an excellent show! And I liked the card game production also. There have been some really good guest entertainers as well. I'm so glad DWTS is going to be history, and we'll just have to wait to see what replaces it.

For those who are curious, the show on the last night used to be a medley show of 2-3 of the guest entertainers (comedian, vocalist, etc.) onboard that cruise. We used to really enjoy these shows - hopefully, the departure of DWTS will mean the return of another professional entertainment show.

For those who are curious, the show on the last night used to be a medley show of 2-3 of the guest entertainers (comedian, vocalist, etc.) onboard that cruise. We used to really enjoy these shows - hopefully, the departure of DWTS will mean the return of another professional entertainment show.

We enjoyed them too. It gave us another chance to see a favorite entertainer a second time.